Mad as Hell at Small Joes

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Bryce
Corporal
Corporal

Mad as Hell at Small Joes

Post by Bryce » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:16 pm

Yesterday Small Joes announced they finally had the new GI Joe Defence of Cobra Island 7 packs up for preorder for $37, two hours later they jacked the price up to $45! Even worse anybody who had their oder in at the lower cost had it cancelled in the middle on the night. And to top it all off? yesterday when I resieved their e-mail they urged you to get your order in quick, at a one time low preorder price. I would think twice about buying from them now on.

Stug45
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Stug45 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:19 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: thats not right.
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

ParatrooperCarbine
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ParatrooperCarbine » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:47 pm

I bet Hasbro raised their cost at the last minute. These are turning out to be more that people originally thought. I've ordered from SmallJoes in the past and have been quite pleased with them.

Bryce
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Bryce » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:04 pm

ParatrooperCarbine wrote:I bet Hasbro raised their cost at the last minute. These are turning out to be more that people originally thought. I've ordered from SmallJoes in the past and have been quite pleased with them.
But only on that one and not the other set.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:10 pm

ParatrooperCarbine wrote:I bet Hasbro raised their cost at the last minute. These are turning out to be more that people originally thought. I've ordered from SmallJoes in the past and have been quite pleased with them.
I have had no problems either.. Small Joes has always been fair in pricing and it does sound like a case of the original price not being right.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

CrazyinTexas
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by CrazyinTexas » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:58 pm

I found 4 in Laredo TX on ebay for $38.00 Item number: 180379873323 FYI
EDIT: oops I just read where it said preorder.

ParatrooperCarbine
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ParatrooperCarbine » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:02 pm

Bryce wrote:
But only on that one and not the other set.
Which other set?
Do you mean the Cobra and not the GI Joe set?
My good trader/reference list:
Razor17019, raiderad6, nomo4me, SGT Fury, don, JOC, DIGGER, immeww2.

Bryce
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Bryce » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:44 pm

ParatrooperCarbine wrote:
Bryce wrote: But only on that one and not the other set.
Which other set?
Do you mean the Cobra and not the GI Joe set?
Exactly.

evilanimation
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mine hasnt been canceled yet.

Post by evilanimation » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:49 pm

Mine hasn't been canceled yet.

evilanimation
Sergeant
Sergeant

Ohh i Bought both

Post by evilanimation » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:51 pm

Ohh i Bought both!! I see what you are saying.

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:23 pm

I don't want to play the blame game, but a few weeks ago I placed an order and what I thought I ordered is not what I received. I got the last of these they had in stock so by the time my order arrived I couldn't go back to check and see if their photo of the item is what I expected it to be. I e-mailed a VERY businesslike question asking if what they shipped was in fact what was advertised. I even stated I might be mistaken, please clarify. I received a rude, terse reply stating this is what I ordered and they can't be responsible if I'm not happy.

Needless to say I'm not buying from them again.

This is just my experience and your mileage may vary.

JamesW
Corporal
Corporal

Post by JamesW » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:35 am

I've had nothing but good experiences with smalljoes for years now. I think I placed my first order with them in ~2003 (?)

Here is a possible explanation. Smalljoes has to order these things by the case. That is an investment of cash they lay out. Thus the preorder. You agree to pay up front, then they don't have to assume the risk of laying out cash and not being able to sell the items.

Except.....They probably have to order even numbers of the the 2 sets (for example the sets may ship 12 per case, 6 of one set and 6 of the other)

If most people are interested only in one of the sets (Defense of cobra island) then smalljoes is going to end up with a large inventory of the less popular set (assult on cobra island). What's more smalljoes will have had to lay out their own cash for a portion of the cost of each case.

If we assume that the less popular set will sell, no problem. But what if it doesn't? Then smalljoes is out of luck. They get stuck holding inventory they can't sell --- precisely because it was an unpopular item to begin with!

Solution? Increase the price of the Defense of cobra island set from $31.99 to $45.99.

How is this a solution? Well, notice you can still pre-order both sets for $64.99 combined. This should encourage buyers to buy both sets, keeping smalljoes from holding too much inventory and laying out too much of it's own capital. Notice too that you can still preorder the assult set for $31.99.

If buyers still only what the defense of cobra island set (even at a high price), great! At least the extra money paid for it will reduce the risk accepted by smalljoes. I suspect that the price had to be upped because that set is much more popular than the other, and that smalljoes simply cannot lay out their own cash and risk getting stuck with a set that won't sell.

Do I think this is fair? Yeah, I think it is fair. What do you think?

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Mad as Hell at Small Joes

Post by coreystinson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:08 am

Bryce wrote:Even worse anybody who had their oder in at the lower cost had it cancelled in the middle on the night.
Not true. Three orders out of hundreds were cancelled due to exceeding limits, all other orders (regardless of price) stand.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:12 am

flayrah wrote:I e-mailed a VERY businesslike question asking if what they shipped was in fact what was advertised. I even stated I might be mistaken, please clarify. I received a rude, terse reply stating this is what I ordered and they can't be responsible if I'm not happy.
Wow, that is certainly a different version that what I received in the support inbox a couple of weeks ago! Is this the revised 2nd edition? :)

It is always funny how the story morphs and changes when it is recalled later.

In fact, your email was accusatory in nature and directly stated that we shipped you a product that was not what was advertised. At no time did you suggest that "you might be mistaken". When I provided you with a photograph of what we shipped to you, explaining that this was always what was advertised (poly bagged Elite Force pilot, no accessories) I got an equally ignorant response back the second time. I found the whole exchange to be rather ridiculous in fact, especially over a $2 figure.
Corey Stinson

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:22 am

James, excellent business analysis of the situation, you're definitely on your game and 110% correct about the situation.
Corey Stinson

dandaman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

SJ

Post by dandaman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:49 am

I have ordered from them before too...and they are good and...uh...do you have to point that thing so close to my head?

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:01 am

I've ordered from smalljoes ALOT and each time I got GREAT Customer Service and my stuff was shipped and packed EXCELLENTLY! Both comic books and 1:18!!
My WIFE even LOVES smalljoes, for the fact that smalljoes has STOPPED me from WASTING my day off driving around looking for 1:18 as I've been ordering what I want at smalljoes!!
THANK YOU, coreystinson!!
A BIG tip of the helmet to ya!! :D :D :D :D

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:11 am

I've ordered three BBI planes in the past two months with Small Joes and had excellent service. Great communication and very protective packaging and fast shipping. Great prices too!! I'll definitely get the 1/18 F-14 from Small Joes if he is able to receive them.

ParatrooperCarbine
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

No offense to the fans of the Cobra set....

Post by ParatrooperCarbine » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:51 am

I am mystified that people are so much more excited about the Defense (Cobra) set than the Assault (GI Joe) set.

The GI Joe set includes several figures many people have been eager for (Zap, Ripcord, Recondo, Chuckles, and Outback) plus some less-anticipated but still-awesome figures (Hit & Run and a different Wet Suit).

And yet the big winner is the Cobra version with:
um, Dr. Mindbender....
one really cool pilot
a BAT (cool but not hard to find anymore)
a couple of decent troop builders
a purple guy who looks as if he's going to make real trouble for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles one of these days if they aren't careful
an orange guy who will protect Ming the Merciless to the bitter end.

No offense to my fellow collectors but... I'd take the pilot and the troop builders if the price was right, but to me if there's something to anticipate here it's the Joe set...
My good trader/reference list:
Razor17019, raiderad6, nomo4me, SGT Fury, don, JOC, DIGGER, immeww2.

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: No offense to the fans of the Cobra set....

Post by coreystinson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:03 am

ParatrooperCarbine wrote:I am mystified that people are so much more excited about the Defense (Cobra) set than the Assault (GI Joe) set.
Part of this can be chalked up to rarity-hysteria. If Hasbro had packed 7 of those to a case, and only three of the Assault set, we'd be having the same conversation about the Assault set instead.

Hasbro should have packed these 6 (Defense) and 4 (Assault). This would have been sufficient to meet "army builder" demand without the unintended consequence of creating rarity-hysteria on the Assault set, and would have mitigated the need to price-adjust the Defense set so much.
Corey Stinson

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:25 am

Small Joes rocks!

MG-42

* smalljoes.com

Post by MG-42 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:50 am

* I've never had a problem. In fact , I think they have good Customer Service which Corey deals w/ you personally via e-mail in which is congenial and very business like.

- Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:32 am

Small Joe's has the best "everyday" low prices of anyone.

Walmart doesn't count anymore, neither does the Monkey with the "blammo" sale.

Nothing but fair prices, service and selection IMO.

tankgirl33
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tankgirl33 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:02 am

I order from smalljoes every Christmas for the hubby and I've never ever had a problem with them. They are always so fast, professional and darn cheap!! 8)
Okay, you are now firing a gun at your imaginary friend NEAR 400 POUNDS OF NITROGLYCERINE!!!

Bryce
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Bryce » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:11 am

JamesW wrote:I've had nothing but good experiences with smalljoes for years now. I think I placed my first order with them in ~2003 (?)

Here is a possible explanation. Smalljoes has to order these things by the case. That is an investment of cash they lay out. Thus the preorder. You agree to pay up front, then they don't have to assume the risk of laying out cash and not being able to sell the items.

Except.....They probably have to order even numbers of the the 2 sets (for example the sets may ship 12 per case, 6 of one set and 6 of the other)

If most people are interested only in one of the sets (Defense of cobra island) then smalljoes is going to end up with a large inventory of the less popular set (assult on cobra island). What's more smalljoes will have had to lay out their own cash for a portion of the cost of each case.

If we assume that the less popular set will sell, no problem. But what if it doesn't? Then smalljoes is out of luck. They get stuck holding inventory they can't sell --- precisely because it was an unpopular item to begin with!

Solution? Increase the price of the Defense of cobra island set from $31.99 to $45.99.

How is this a solution? Well, notice you can still pre-order both sets for $64.99 combined. This should encourage buyers to buy both sets, keeping smalljoes from holding too much inventory and laying out too much of it's own capital. Notice too that you can still preorder the assult set for $31.99.

If buyers still only what the defense of cobra island set (even at a high price), great! At least the extra money paid for it will reduce the risk accepted by smalljoes. I suspect that the price had to be upped because that set is much more popular than the other, and that smalljoes simply cannot lay out their own cash and risk getting stuck with a set that won't sell.

Do I think this is fair? Yeah, I think it is fair. What do you think?
Yeah I think its fair, to advertise a sale and then welch out of it, thats fair.