Review--JSI Boyington F4U Corsair

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Review--JSI Boyington F4U Corsair

Post by dragon53 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:34 am

From Badcat's blog:

" Tale of Two Corsairs: JSI vs 21st Century Lucybelle

Way back in August 2004, 21st Century Toys produced their Pappy's Corsair as a time-limited exclusive for Bad Cat Toys. Once the exclusive time limit expired, 21st then sold a production overrun of these Corsairs to other independent retailers. The entire batch came and went in about 5-6 months or so. Many collectors, including myself, feel that this Corsair was the best 1:18 F4U produced to date.

With JSI recently acquiring the 21st Century toolings, its not surprising that Pappy's Lucybelle would be chosen as the first scheme. I had a chance today to compare the original (yes, I kept one) with today's newest version. First off, the tooling appears to be identical in every respect, claims of tooling "improvements" appear unfounded, at least to my eyes looking at this one subject. The oversize rivets and screw heads are back.

Where JSI moves ahead is in the paint department. In a nutshell, the JSI paint is very similar (almost identical) in quality and detail to BBI's 1:32 F4F and SBD aircraft. The original 21st Pappy sported a three color scheme with a red outlined US star and bars insignia. JSI's Whistling Death is a weathered medium blue on top and sooty white beneath, and no red outline--simple, but very striking. JSI has also painted-in cockpit details which were omitted in the original. Instruments, gauges, and various levers have been colorized.

So, is the JSI Lucybelle merely a copy suitable only for those poor souls who missed-out the first time around? I don't think so. There is enough difference in these two planes to easily distinguish them apart, even to the untrained eye. Collectors are bound to take sides on one over the other, for sure. If I had a large collection and limited space, I think I'd own both and rotate them in and out of service periodically.

We'll try to get some comparision pics up tomorrow and let you see for yourself."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:49 am

No red outline around the insignia huh?
No 3-tone paint?

So which paint scheme is authentic?

I do like the 2- tone scheme of the 1:32 Dauntless and Wildcat, but I thought it was more of a 1942 paint job.

The Corsairs I see with that scheme have a birdcage canopy (wish we could get one like that) and star with no bars.

Well I might actually buy one now that it doesn't look like my Lucybell. Plus mine might still hold it's value seein's that it looks completely different.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:40 am

This thread is useless without pics!! :P :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 am

I think he's wrong in saying there's no modifications. When I saw the example at Weekend of Heroes, the centreline tank seems to be a new addition, and would have required new holes in the mold. I couldn't tell if the other holes were filled in...

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:21 am

Interesting news.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

cornbreadfred
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cornbreadfred » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:22 am

I am interested in how the Corsair model is packaged. I wonder if it has a 21st Century style box?
Fred, really looking forward to the JSI 1/18th scale Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

digger

Post by digger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:55 am

nooker21 wrote:I think he's wrong in saying there's no modifications. When I saw the example at Weekend of Heroes, the centreline tank seems to be a new addition, and would have required new holes in the mold. I couldn't tell if the other holes were filled in...
don't think that's new.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:32 pm

digger wrote:
nooker21 wrote:I think he's wrong in saying there's no modifications. When I saw the example at Weekend of Heroes, the centreline tank seems to be a new addition, and would have required new holes in the mold. I couldn't tell if the other holes were filled in...
don't think that's new.
it is new i own one and there is not center line whole for the tanks..
whats up doc....

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:37 pm

Dauntless wrote:No red outline around the insignia huh?
No 3-tone paint?

So which paint scheme is authentic?

I do like the 2- tone scheme of the 1:32 Dauntless and Wildcat, but I thought it was more of a 1942 paint job.

The Corsairs I see with that scheme have a birdcage canopy (wish we could get one like that) and star with no bars.

Well I might actually buy one now that it doesn't look like my Lucybell. Plus mine might still hold it's value seein's that it looks completely different.
I think it's the red outline that's missing form the JSI version, so that would still leave the roundel with the bars, only the outline is blue, per the promo pics.

I guess that would make it even more historically inaccurate? :?

OTOH, the promo pics did show a faded three-tone scheme. :?

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:32 pm

but what is important...is this a sample or is it a production model that has been shipped over?

Or in other words is this the first ever item by JSI to seel the hands of a retailer?

Dave

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:05 pm

New paintscheme or not, I think I'll stick with my old BCA Exclusive Boyington Corsair. Save for the paint and the company name, the JSI plane is just the old 21c Corsair. The old BCA Corsair has a more fond place in my heart. Now if it was BBI making Boyington's scheme on their Corsair mould, that would be something to get excited about. Don't get me wrong as accurate or not, the JSI paint scheme looks good, just that I'm not too excited about it when there are more updated 1:18 models out there and soon to be on the horizon.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:22 pm

The red outline was for ease in recognition of the insignia that was instituted sometime in 1943, it also didn't last long. 86 was a standard frontline bird and with or without the red outline is quite correct. Also photo's of Corsair operating on La Vella or Santo are far from clean and pretty so if JSI does it as the promo pic shows, it'll be pretty realistic.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:49 pm

never mind :oops:
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Still Boyington's Corsair then, just a variation without the red insignia outline.

Looking at the factory pic, yeah there's no 43' red stripe, but also there is a faint indication of a 3 tone scheme as was said.

I dunno, guess we'll just have to see actual production sample pics.

Hey has anybody here ever done the earlier birdcage canopy version modification to one yet?

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:57 am

Badcat photos of JSI and 21st Century Boyington F4U Corsairs and Stuka boxes:

From Badcat's blog:

" JSI's Boxes a Big Improvement

If you've collected 21st Century Toys aircraft and tanks you know that keeping the boxes in mint condition is a challenge. That big, plastic display window is the culprit. The window which shows off the handsome pieces can take virtually no punishment. Puckered, torn, or completely blown-out windows is the scourge of collector's everywhere.

JSI has addressed this problem by creating a convertible cover that is hinged at the top attaches in the closed position with Velcro. This cardboard cover protects the window beneath but can be easily opened for inspection of the toy inside. This is a HUGE step in the right direction.

In addition, the sharp graphic arts on the box is quite attractive. Beneath the covertible flap is a history of the aircraft or tank contained within.

. . . now if they could only make the packaging smaller to help reduce the hefty shipping charges associated with these models."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:45 am

Wow! :shock: That is quite a difference. I like it though.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:51 am

Big improvement over 21st's packaging. The artwork is quite nice as well.

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:57 am

Wow, pretty "beaten up" look. 8) Certainly different from the previous version.

So shouldn't the markings be faded as well or did they paint the markings every so often to avoid shooting their own planes down?

And what's the difference between the centerline drop tank version and the 21st/BBI versions with two drop tanks? Wouldn't the centerline drop tank interfere with the see-through cockpit floor and under fuselage window?

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:51 am

great job! nice info thank you!
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Pa Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Pa Deuce » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:20 pm

I am 100% not a fan of the new paint - especially the attempt at simulating paint chips. The new Stuka looks like somebody's little sister got after it with a silver Sharpie...

That's my only gripe about my Daisy June as a matter of fact - the weathering looks like evenly spaced brush strokes around the front and back of the cowling - instead of random paint wearing off.
Last edited by Pa Deuce on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z144/b_daddyj/F-14.gif[/img]

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:26 pm

That's my biggest gripe about the first S1 Corsair. They look like brush strokes, even worse than this one. I think they could have gotten a better job with a sharp Sharpie and a little more attention to the panel edges etc.

I was wondering if anybody was going to notice that on Lucybell 2.