Thoughts on IJ troop car?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Thoughts on IJ troop car?

Post by flayrah » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:51 pm

I've been passing on these because I generally don't collect German armour, it looks a little 'off' to me, and can't think of anything I could use it for - but with the end of IJ and pieces coming harder and harder to find I wonder if I should pick one up.

What are your thoughts on the 'usability' of this vehicle, either as-is or with some modification? Could it be remodeled as a believable allied vehicle?

vmf214
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Thoughts on IJ troop car?

Post by vmf214 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:59 pm

flayrah wrote:I've been passing on these because I generally don't collect German armour, it looks a little 'off' to me, and can't think of anything I could use it for - but with the end of IJ and pieces coming harder and harder to find I wonder if I should pick one up.

What are your thoughts on the 'usability' of this vehicle, either as-is or with some modification? Could it be remodeled as a believable allied vehicle?
I picked one up and I like it, has possibilities. :D

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:32 am

It's a real vehicle... I saw someone custom one up very slick here on the boards with a tri-color camo and some foliage (sorry I cannot credit the guy who did it). I believe he added some doors and other details. It's very nice.

I've got a pile of them and wound up with extras actually. I was looking to sell a couple of them... They're pretty slick. I'd like to wind up wiht a DAK one, and a nice normandy decoed one... And two that are nice and accurate to the Raiders movie, hopefully, when I get around to customizing again. I figured stock up while I can because it came/went here fairly quickly. Did the same with troop trucks when I could.

It's not without some flaws, but it is a very solid base to make a pretty accurate German 4WD. It looks better with the XD guys than the Indy figures, but it looks great with both ultimately.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:12 pm

edit
Last edited by grockwood on Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:41 pm

We may get these at retail again in the not too distant Future. I read online that Shia LeBoeuf let slip in an interview that they are starting work on a fifth Indy Movie. If there is one thing Hasbro is famous for, it is reusing the heck out of old molds.
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:55 pm

the troop car is accurate but a bit on the big side. They were normally seen with doors on them....in fact i don't recall ever seeing one without doors but it no doubt happened.

If you're on the fence i would definitely pick one up as you'll no doubt find a good use for it one day and kick yourself for not getting it cheap when you had the chance.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:55 pm

I have mixed feelings about the IJ car. It isn't as nice as most other 1:18 military toys, but it does give me a bit of diversity.

A bonus is that it comes with oil drums and a barricade.

I'd pick it up.

OTOH, I recently bought the Soviet jungle cutter from the IJ line. I love it.

Lance Quazar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lance Quazar » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:56 am

MCalamari wrote:I have mixed feelings about the IJ car. It isn't as nice as most other 1:18 military toys, but it does give me a bit of diversity.

A bonus is that it comes with oil drums and a barricade.

I'd pick it up.

OTOH, I recently bought the Soviet jungle cutter from the IJ line. I love it.
On the plus side, you can actually FIT figures in it. Unlike, say, the ridiculously tiny kubelwagens! Ugh!!!

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:48 pm

Lance Quazar wrote: On the plus side, you can actually FIT figures in it. Unlike, say, the ridiculously tiny kubelwagens! Ugh!!!
Sadly I don't have a Kubelwagen. :( But I agree, being able to get somebody inside is important.

The M-16 is nice, but I can't figure how to get somebody seated in the gun turret.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:22 pm

The kubel's scale is pretty perfect. They just didn't adapt it for the larger figures. I removed the firewall and so I can fit normal figures up front in it now... I've currently got it crusing with an officer in the back.

The jeep's a bit more forgiving to get folks inside and looking normal.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Lance Quazar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lance Quazar » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:14 am

Jesse James wrote:The kubel's scale is pretty perfect. They just didn't adapt it for the larger figures. I removed the firewall and so I can fit normal figures up front in it now... I've currently got it crusing with an officer in the back.

The jeep's a bit more forgiving to get folks inside and looking normal.
The Kubel can barely fit Indy figures and cannot fit the much larger 21st Century, which makes no sense, since it's made by 21st Century!!!

What part did you remove? What is the "firewall"? I would love to try to make that modification.

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:49 am

MCalamari wrote:
Lance Quazar wrote: On the plus side, you can actually FIT figures in it. Unlike, say, the ridiculously tiny kubelwagens! Ugh!!!
Sadly I don't have a Kubelwagen. :( But I agree, being able to get somebody inside is important.

The M-16 is nice, but I can't figure how to get somebody seated in the gun turret.
This has always been my biggest and only complaint with 21C! That they made most vehicles that you can't SIT anybody IN unless you take their legs off or break stuff trying!!
Some here said that if they made the vehicles big enough to fit a 1:18 scale figure-the vehicle wouldn't BE 1:18 scale... :? :roll: Never understood this...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:32 am

plastic figures don't scrunch like human flesh, joints and clothing do. So the figures are relatively large as compared to the vehicle because of this.

In small vehicles there is generally only a couple of inches clearance for a human to fit, but that is enough. With stiff, bulky plastic figures those precious inches aren't there.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:55 am

The firewall's the little wall that keeps the figures feet from moving further forward... So basically my figure's feet now fit up into the engine somewhere. :) However, they fit in it, haha.

And what Aferg said...

Kubels are pretty tiny little vehicles in real life, and there's no ability for a plastic figure to compact itself (clothing, flesh, etc.) to fit into the tiny little space. The Kubel itself is perfectly to-scale, and the figures are about right too (one can argue they're a little large for the era, etc.). Fitting them in back is harder than fitting them in the front I've found... Usually I just don't have a passenger in the rear, and just put some junk back there for them to tow around.

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:50 am

What can you do with the troop car you ask ???
Well, if you have 2 of them, an IJ cargo truck and a Hanomag underframe, you can make this :P

Now I'm working on the /1 model which only requires one troop car, but will use the back of the cargo truck modified to carry a quad flak like the SDkfz7/1 or SDkfz9/1. When I get more progress done, I will post some pictures of that model 8)

Da General

Lance Quazar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lance Quazar » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:09 am

Jesse James wrote:The firewall's the little wall that keeps the figures feet from moving further forward... So basically my figure's feet now fit up into the engine somewhere. :) However, they fit in it, haha.

And what Aferg said...

Kubels are pretty tiny little vehicles in real life, and there's no ability for a plastic figure to compact itself (clothing, flesh, etc.) to fit into the tiny little space. The Kubel itself is perfectly to-scale, and the figures are about right too (one can argue they're a little large for the era, etc.). Fitting them in back is harder than fitting them in the front I've found... Usually I just don't have a passenger in the rear, and just put some junk back there for them to tow around.
I'd rather then sacrificed 100% accuracy for a little bit of functionality. No reason they couldn't have made the vehicle slightly larger than scale so we could actually use the damn thing.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:43 pm

I've been able to fit S1 German figures into the 21c Kubelwagen without modification. The vehicle itself came with a "midget" figure that fits in fine, but the S1 officer and S1 panzergrenadier figure, for example, will fit in the front seats with no modification. It is a very tight squeeze, but they will do it. Another figure can sit across the back seat.

I was also able to fit in the new German figures from the D-Day lineup in the Kubel, though for ease, I simply removed the boots. You can't see them under the hood anyways. Using the same method, I was also able to fit a couple passengers in the rear seat in a normal-looking manner.

On an unrelated note, I may have to finally go and pick up one of the IJ troop cars. There are still a couple left at one of my TRUs. The gun/missile launcher thing will have to be removed, no questions asked.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:12 pm

General Blasto wrote:What can you do with the troop car you ask ???
Well, if you have 2 of them, an IJ cargo truck and a Hanomag underframe, you can make this :P

Da General
That's nice work ;)

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:10 pm

Yes, there is alot of potential to repaint and/or customize the IJ vehicles. These are a few I have done.

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

amazing

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:53 pm

Years ago I thought I my 1/18 collection was extensive, but seeing over this time the General's photos of his ever growing hobby, his talent and sheer numbers of each item, I am left speechless and feel left behind. That prime mover is what is needed to round of my collection and tow the 88. Hoping one day this new company JS International will make one, perhaps the General could send them his blue prints. Keep up the good work.

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:38 pm

AS much as I love my mini-famo, it is dwarfed by the 88 :(
After much discussion with the Hun, we came up with the SDkfz9 designation for the mini-famo, not the SDkfz11 as some have thought. To make the SDkfz7, you'd have to start with something Bigger, like a Route 66 1/16th truck and a Tiger or Panther underframe with different roadwheels in the track. The SDkfz7 was HUGE almost the size of a Tiger tank. It had to be to fit 4 men abreast in them. My mini famo will do 3 at best and it's a tight squeeze too :roll:

FYI, I pull the 88 with the Mauliter(sp?) halftrack I got from the HUN. It is built on one of those Route 66 trucks frames ;) 8)

Da General

ps. I will have to do a picture or two of that lash up. It looks good :)

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:29 pm

I'm sorry I don't have the tools, space or time to do attempt repaints. Improves the model 100%. I'm envious :wink:

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:57 pm

General Blasto wrote:
Please do! Images are really fun, especially when the customs are so well done (as yours are).

acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by acisne » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:05 am

General Blasto wrote:AS much as I love my mini-famo, it is dwarfed by the 88 :(
After much discussion with the Hun, we came up with the SDkfz9 designation for the mini-famo, not the SDkfz11 as some have thought. To make the SDkfz7, you'd have to start with something Bigger, like a Route 66 1/16th truck and a Tiger or Panther underframe with different roadwheels in the track. The SDkfz7 was HUGE almost the size of a Tiger tank. It had to be to fit 4 men abreast in them. My mini famo will do 3 at best and it's a tight squeeze too :roll:

FYI, I pull the 88 with the Mauliter(sp?) halftrack I got from the HUN. It is built on one of those Route 66 trucks frames ;) 8)

Da General

I think you mean Highway 61 and not Route 66.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Lance Quazar wrote:Kubels are pretty tiny little vehicles in real life, and there's no ability for a plastic figure to compact itself (clothing, flesh, etc.) to fit into the tiny little space. The Kubel itself is perfectly to-scale, and the figures are about right too (one can argue they're a little large for the era, etc.). Fitting them in back is harder than fitting them in the front I've found... Usually I just don't have a passenger in the rear, and just put some junk back there for them to tow around.
I'd rather then sacrificed 100% accuracy for a little bit of functionality. No reason they couldn't have made the vehicle slightly larger than scale so we could actually use the damn thing.[/quote]

No offense LQ, but I think you'll find you're generally in the minority around here then... Most of us preferred the accuracy, though I do think they could've made the Kubel better in design so it COULD fit full sized figures, however it was only ever in the Series 1 line where the "pilots" were mini guys and fit in it just fine anyway. :? I didn't dig those guys though either, so to me if they would've just worked it around so the firewall was never there impeding the feet, it would've been just a better design. Like I said, my guys ride in it fine now and don't look awkward sitting in it.

Also what Tman said, some do fit in without modification... I modded mine though as I prefer not to pull apart figures and I wanted my new D-Day guys to cruise in it. They fit without any problem now... They're getting (or giving?) directions on the shelf as we speak (an officer and his driver) to some SS troops heading to the front. :)

But yeah, changing things to adapt to the figures, that's like making hatch openings larger though, or whatnot. It's not something I I'd prefer seeing, as it can be a pretty noticeable detail on this stuff, to have a larger opening on a tank or whatnot, with the vehicle not built around the opening size to match.

If anything maybe 21st should've made their figures more appropriately scaled since they tend to be on the larger side... The mini drivers/pilots were pretty diminutive though. More SW sized perhaps, or at least a mix. They blend a bit better.

The Kubel was designed at the beginning though, yet my Jeep fits 4 just fine though, so I dunno.

I like the vehicles being appropriately proportioned though. It isn't noticeable between 1:16 tanks and 1:18 other stuff quite so badly, but if you have a 1:16 Kubel next to a 1:18 tank, I think you'll see a pretty big difference that doesn't look right.

I'm pretty pleased though with just removing the piece in the way of the feet. Everything is fine with mine now... Looks sharp. Other than the original ME109, I never really had a problem fitting anyone into any of the other 21st vehicles...

The .50 cal turret rings though are awkward and the figures need sharply bent elbows to really fit into that right, but that's about it. Everything else works fine. I can even get all my tankers to sit in their hatches fine if you remove their accessories.
Last edited by Jesse James on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.