JSI disapointment

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
AMERICAN_GRENADIER
Officer - Brigadier General

JSI disapointment

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Wed May 27, 2009 11:25 am

although i am very excited and happy that 1/18 has a savior. im disappointed in the price increases across the board. The fact that they are using existing molds and many of their first products are re issues they have increased wholesale pricing by 35 to 40%. In a meeting once 21C managment told me that they pay far less for repaints. new toolings are ofcourse far more expensive at first do to cost of development. it just gets under my skin that they have raised prices when things are alittle tougher right now for retailers.
What do you guys think?
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

My food stamps bounced...

Post by c44 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:28 am

Welcome to the new economy... :(
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Wed May 27, 2009 11:39 am

I would have NEVER thought they would get cheaper, just because of the economy. They got mouths to feed too as well.

cornbreadfred
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cornbreadfred » Wed May 27, 2009 11:45 am

Things don't get cheaper....GEEZZZ
Fred, really looking forward to the JSI 1/18th scale Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Wed May 27, 2009 11:47 am

i didnt expect cheeper but 40% increase?
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Wed May 27, 2009 11:56 am

Who doesn't like cheap XD? But it is what it is. If the market can't bear the prices, the product won't sell, and JSI goes back to whatever it was they did before. If it does sell, JSI makes money and produces more stuff.
Such is life.
I've always wondered if 21st shot themselves in the foot by aiming too low price-wise. Maybe they were gambling that deals with WallyWorld would bring high enough volume to make up the difference. Sure, it got them lots of exposure. I guess we'll never know.
Bottom line, free market economy rules.

Jeffrey
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

mkxiv
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mkxiv » Wed May 27, 2009 11:57 am

JSI is looking to market there products as limited edition adult collectable models. Each product will come with a custom made box and limited edition certificate. This is a much different philosophy than that of 21st Century who had always marketed there products more as toys than collectables. 21st would make huge productions and use one basic generic box for every release with no limited edition number or certificate.

Limited production numbers and elaborate custom made box would be the main reason for the price jump.

In reality this is a very good thing for the hobby. Small productions mean quick sellouts and in return small turnaround time for new productions.

My only gripe with JSI would be: choose the right scheme! A Bong P-38 is a no-brainer!? Why release the Putt Putt when its already come and gone?
The Pappy Corsair is ok but BC has already done it. In 1:18 the paint schemes are key to a products success.

Stepping down,

Isaiah

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Wed May 27, 2009 11:58 am

It's impossible to see what JSI is offering until it's on the shelves and if their product justifies the prices. But I do suspect they won't have the volume sales to depend on like 21st did. WalMart won't buy; Target and ToysRUs are questionable, there are no really MAJOR on-line dealers to offer the models in bulk, so JSI will have to depend on smaller dealers and low volume. I suspect they also plan on using sales of established models to support their new F-15, F-14, etc moulds.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed May 27, 2009 12:12 pm

well, most of the 21c stuff isn't really good enough to be considered a high priced adult collectible. Nowhere near on a par with Dragon, Tamiya etc. They're nice and they're big, but that's about it. Each piece is rife with inaccuracies, big and small.

It looks like JSI may be dolling them up a bit, with zimmerit and new add on bits for the halftracks etc but the basic vehicle is still the original 21c mold.

The higer price tag is most likey reflective of lower production runs and a perception by JSI that they can get it. We'll all find out in time if this hobby will support these prices or not or if the Bravo Team way is the better way..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed May 27, 2009 1:15 pm

If JSI is going the route that Isaiah is saying they are, I'm for it.

I too think it will be the right thing to keep this hobby alive and bring new product to the table.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:33 pm

I seen this trend coming a mile away a few years ago. :wink:
This has always been a teen/adult hobby
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

digger

JSI

Post by digger » Wed May 27, 2009 2:08 pm

JSI goes back to whatever it was they did before.
Oh, like make 21C's products? :wink:

Btw, it is really hard to keep up with all the JSI threads - there about a dozen. Maybe we need one JSI sticky (even though they have yet to release one piece :roll: ).

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Wed May 27, 2009 2:13 pm

mkxiv wrote:
Limited production numbers and elaborate custom made box would be the main reason for the price jump.

In reality this is a very good thing for the hobby. Small productions mean quick sellouts and in return small turnaround time for new productions.

Isaiah
I think that we are going to be in for one big disappointment if this is the case. While I agree that we can't expect the $39.99 that we used to see, having an item go for twice that will most likely just kill the hobby altogether. The price point has always been a major concern when dealing with these things. Hell, that was why I got into it in the first place. There is no way I am going to fork out $90 for an item that cost just $40 a few years prior. This scale will be getting into the Franklin Mint range before long and I don't think that stuff makes any decent gain in value over time as I believe that if an item was high priced up front, it's desirability drops. IMHO, High price point, low numbers= elitism, which = dead hobby.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed May 27, 2009 2:47 pm

I agree with what Aferg said a couple posts back: the price increases for JSI probably have to do with a more limited production of their items, whether they are repaints or new toolings. Actually, I am fine with this for the most part as it seems JSI is catering to the collectors.

That is actually the avenue 21c should have taken. Part of 21c's demise resulted from the fact that they thought they were bigger than the company actually was and greatly overestimated the demand for their products and the complications of their production.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

digger

?

Post by digger » Wed May 27, 2009 3:00 pm

That is actually the avenue 21c should have taken.
So many people balked at prices of 21C stuff in the last few years. "$XX for a trailer??" "$XX for the 88??" "I'm going to wait to see if they are marked down further..."

To say they should have gone with higher prices, whatever the reason, is a little off-base.

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Wed May 27, 2009 3:14 pm

They're offering up a F-14 and F-15 in 1/18 scale, so it's all good. 8)

The past few years of 1/18 models and only BBI had the balls to put out the F-16 and F-18. The rest off the stuff by everyone else were outplayed WWII. So I'm really rooting for JSI here.

*Am I glad Modern Warfare 2 is coming out instead of another WWII game. :wink:

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: JSI disapointment

Post by coreystinson » Wed May 27, 2009 3:16 pm

AMERICAN_GRENADIER wrote:although i am very excited and happy that 1/18 has a savior. im disappointed in the price increases across the board.
What do you guys think?
I think this is reality. First, you may factor in the effects of inflation. Second, you may factor in the cost of government meddling vis-a-vie these draconian new testing requirements, and third you may factor in a probable lack of mass retailer support.

All these things come together with higher pricing. Now, personally, I too think the whole thing will flop because many collectors already have these products and are not going to plunk down more money for higher priced items that they already own, especially in this economy. I hope Merit doesn't end up taking a bath on this, and I hope JSI doesn't take a bath either, because I really do want to see these new modern jets because I think that will excite collectors to buy, and I want them myself too! :)
Last edited by coreystinson on Wed May 27, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Wed May 27, 2009 3:18 pm

iflabs wrote:They're offering up a F-14 and F-15 in 1/18 scale, so it's all good. 8)
Probably time for me to remind everyone that these items have been proposed only.
Corey Stinson

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: ?

Post by coreystinson » Wed May 27, 2009 3:21 pm

digger wrote: So many people balked at prices of 21C stuff in the last few years. "$XX for a trailer??" "$XX for the 88??" "I'm going to wait to see if they are marked down further..."
Consumers need to be broken of this "waiting the retailer out until clearance" mentality, and I have told several manufacturers so. This will only be cured by shorter production runs so that the snoozers end up being the losers and having to buy secondary market (eBay, etc.) at higher prices. Manufacturers are damaging the marketplace by running excess quantity of products which prompts the consumer to play this waiting game. It's not good for anyone in the end.
Corey Stinson

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Wed May 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Teamski wrote:IMHO, High price point, low numbers= elitism, which = dead hobby.
-Ski
I don't know about this. Some people just don't want to be locked out of the hobby by higher prices, but there are certain economic realities to consider. The days of $39 1:18 scale Avengers are over, over, over. Those of you guys who were subsisting on prices like that are now done I suspect. I think this hobby has been existing in a bubble in the same way the real estate market was, and that bubble has popped, and at least one major bubble participant is out of business.
Corey Stinson

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Wed May 27, 2009 3:48 pm

I'd rather JSI (if they actually come up with all the goodies they have shown us, and we've been fooled before; in fact, just recently) improve their QC procedures compared to 21st anything-goes BS strategy (I take it they actually thought "BS" stood for "business solution" at San Leandro) if they want to stay in business longer than it will take them to actually release those models. Which is probably never. How many promised repaints have we seen from AT and BBI recently (as in the past year)? None, perhaps?

What does it say about JIS's actual commitment to this hobby that this new wunderbar toy company has announced THREE new aircraft to go along with a gazillion repaints? Not much, if you ask me. I don't care about preorders nor flashy boxes anymore. We have read here that the Bush Avenger artwork was already approved by the man himself, but still no release... Why, we even had flashy graphics made for the Phantom, which turned out to be just that eventually, an invisible plane. And some etailers were still taking pre-orders for it a few months back. How to take the supply side of this hobby seriously anymore?

For all we know this could be The Most Anticpated Release of 2009. x 20.

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Wed May 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Teamski wrote:
I think that we are going to be in for one big disappointment if this is the case. While I agree that we can't expect the $39.99 that we used to see, having an item go for twice that will most likely just kill the hobby altogether. The price point has always been a major concern when dealing with these things. Hell, that was why I got into it in the first place. There is no way I am going to fork out $90 for an item that cost just $40 a few years prior. This scale will be getting into the Franklin Mint range before long and I don't think that stuff makes any decent gain in value over time as I believe that if an item was high priced up front, it's desirability drops. IMHO, High price point, low numbers= elitism, which = dead hobby.

-Ski
People are buying up Falcons, Hornets, Hueys, Cobras on ebay at premium prices because quantities are limited.

I think the appeal of modern jets in 1/18 scale is enough for it to sale at higher prices and limited quantities.

Not sure how WWII planes or rereleases will fare off at higher prices though.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed May 27, 2009 6:15 pm

iflabs wrote: I think the appeal of modern jets in 1/18 scale is enough for it to sale at higher prices and limited quantities.

Not sure how WWII planes or rereleases will fare off at higher prices though.
Even though I am a 1/32 collector for the most part, I do have 6 1/18 craft (Avenger, Corsair. 109, F86, Mig15, 262 Nightfighter - couldn't resist the Monkey on that one) because they have significance to my personally - notably my paternal grandfather flew Corsairs and F86s for the Marines.

But I tend to agree WWII may not fare so well unless simply astounding and rarely-at-that-size planes come forth, especially something manageable at the twin engine level like the much-requested B25, BF110, Mosquito or freaky like a P61, Do335 or Devastator. Heck, I'd crap my pants publicly to even find those at 1/32 but I think they need to lay off the umpteenth iteration of a Mustang, 109, Zero, etc until the previous market's saturation starts to dissipate.

But that is hard because you can't draw in newbies with less familiar aircraft and only the niche hobbyists would likely know to desire other examples of WWII (or Korea and Vietnam, for that matter) air power because we always get the same stock photos in our history lessons. The whole B-17 versus B-24 thing.

At any rate, I wish the best of luck to you larger scale guys as I think at times the success of your segment of the hobby trickles down to us smaller (non-1/72) guys. Case in point: 21st didn't show me any 1/32 Kubelwagen love and I am an ardent VW fan (Funny story, a coworker gave me his 1/18 Kubel years back which I kept at my workdesk. When I quit, I forgot to clear the shelf it was on and left it behind - I was commuting to this job by MTA at the time - and by the time I realized it was forgotten the new manager had tossed it. Well, maybe that really wasn't funny. Not to me, anyway.)

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:26 pm

JSI DEALERS:

If the JSI models are limited edition, do you have any idea of how many copies per model will be released?

Since the F-15 and SU-27 are tentative, is JSI receptive to suggestions for alternative paint schemes for them?----I'd like to see a USAF F-15E, 4th TFW, Seymour Johnson AFB.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu May 28, 2009 12:32 am

dragon53 wrote:JSI DEALERS:

If the JSI models are limited edition, do you have any idea of how many copies per model will be released?

Since the F-15 and SU-27 are tentative, is JSI receptive to suggestions for alternative paint schemes for them?----I'd like to see a USAF F-15E, 4th TFW, Seymour Johnson AFB.
remember these might not just for the U.S. market.. if it is for the Chines market no matter what we said they have there mine set...
whats up doc....