Disappointment with Skyworks

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

Disappointment with Skyworks

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:24 pm

Greetings:

I have held off making this post in the hopes that Skyworks would come through in the situation, but they have not done so. I must voice my disappointment with Skyworks Toys in regards to a recent transaction I've had with them.

As everyone here knows, Skyworks did a custom F-16 in the Thunderbirds color scheme. Upon getting the aircraft, I was generally happy with it but then noticed that the tail was a different shade of white than the rest of the plane, very noticeable in natural light. I emailed Skyworks and was told the tail had been clear coated hence the different shade. I was disappointed in this because it looked different and did not match the rest of the model well. After discussion, Skyworks decided to make good on the problem and redo the tail. I also had to fix some of the decals on my own, something I was kind of disappointed about given it was such an expensive model to have done.

I sent the tail back and according to Skyworks it was redone and sent to me. Sometime along the way, it went missing in the mail. I understand missing mail is out of the control of Skyworks, and it happens from time to time. I asked if they could do anything about the situation. Skyworks said the tail could be cast and to give it a week or two to see if it would show up. They offered to do this because they felt responsible for the situation. I was fine with that and explored all my local channels through the post office. I also had two very generous boardmembers come forward and offer to do the tail for me for minimal trades. Some of our best customizers are also the nicest people on this forum. I declined their offer based on the fact I was promised a replacement tail if mine did not show up.

It has been two months, and I've emailed Skyworks several times asking when I can get the replacement tail. Every time I am told to wait, go to the town where the package was delivered, talk to the post office, etc. I've been through all those roads several times, and my postmaster said there's nothing more she can do on her end. It is clear the package has gone missing and does not appear to be found. Now I am having trouble and have had no response from Skyworks on the replacement tail.

I feel a promise was made to me and it has not been followed through. I am also not too pleased to have spent lots of money on a model (a good part of my weekly paycheck) and have it be missing a piece. In my opinion, the tail should have been right in the first place. The package should have also been insured given it is basically a custom piece. None of this was done. Had I also known Skyworks would be giving me a difficult time about getting the tail cast, as they said they would do, I would have had one of our generous boardmembers do it. I'm quite frustrated and upset, this jet was supposed to be hung in my classroom and can't be, I feel a promise was made and now the time has past where it should be honored. I know casting a tail and painting it and decaling it will cost Skyworks money, but it would be the responsible thing to do in the situation. At least that is how I feel anyway.

It also distrubs me that there is one other person on this forum who has pm'd me about a similar issue they've had with Skyworks.

If this situation is resolved I will gladly edit my comments. I hope that Skyworks resolves this situation and my F-16 is completed and looking good again soon.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Fri May 08, 2009 10:54 pm

I kinda hate to say this, but it does show parity with my experience with them since and prior to when they'd found out that I'd been the one to get their 'stang that was offered on ebay a year or so ago. I'd actually only bid on it to begin with due to feedback on his works I'd seen from this forum.

I've no doubt that that what he offers now is much better then what I'd received from him then.

I did leave positive feedback but only due to a line in the small print that stated that this 'stang was built on commission and, after completion, the buyer refused delivery....and also due to the feedback I'd seen from this forum, hey mabbe it was something that just happened. Buyer beware.

Right after I'd left a review on this site, I'd received an ebay message from someone I'd never heard of a request of how I really feel about it. He received the same review.

Oh, and that review was a way of calling that 'stang a POS.
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat May 09, 2009 7:01 am

I have had some MAJOR DIASPOINTMENTS with Sky work as well.
Mine is based on my P-36 project. Here it is;

viewtopic.php?t=8752&highlight=p36

If you check out the date it has almost been a full YEAR that I have finished it.

For those of you who know me I like to build things. I DO NOT LIKE TO PAINT THINGS. So when Sky works was starting up we got in contact with each other. It seemed as if the the owner and I hit it off pretty good. He was in the middel of his Me-163.

He was having issues with his canopy. He was using clear resin and no matter what he did he was getting air bubbles in his resin.

I was using a vacuformer and he wanted me to make his canopies. I agreed and waited to get the canopy plug in the mail. Every 5 days or so he e-mailed me did I get it? I e-mailed on each occasion that i will e-mail when I get it.

Well it took 4 weeks to get the canopy. 4 WEEKS !!!! A day or so I got it he e-mailed me stating that if I did not want to vac it (we did I say that I would) in a less then pleasant manner. He did not believe me when I told him that I have yet to receive it. While I got it during the 4 week wait he decided to make his own vac machine. So why did he get mad? I do not know.

Moving on. We made friends again and I decided to send him my P-36 projects so that he could finish and paint them.

The deal I struck with went this way.You paint me a proto type so I can put it up on e-bay and promote the P-36 kit I made.Then we decide to do 3 proto types a silver , OD green and a French one.

I wanted the silver one first. He said silver is hard to paint so he wanted to paint the French one. So I agreed . I said while you are at it do 2 of them because I had a deal worked out with SUPER SONIC FIFI. He gave me 2 p-40s as payment for the first P-36.

So the deal was Sky works makes my proto type he gets to keep one of my kits (with the rest of a 21st P-40 ) as an even swap. Here they are:

http://www.skyworkstoys.com/p36.html

For each additional one I would pay him a fee. Great news. Or so I thought . Then I waited and waited and waited. By this time I had about 6 kits waiting for him to get them together.He painted HIS P-36 and posted it on his web page. Man does it look good. Then more waiting.

By this time he started his Hurricane. No P-36s were done.I was happy about our union and posted things about Skyworks how good they were and trying to promote his stuff here.

He asked me to tell you guys about his up coming Hurricane and how you can search for it on Google. I said OK when am I going to get one of my P-36s ?

He said that he is working on them. About 6 months have gone by and I have nothing back from Skyworks.m By this time I had had enough.

I told him SEND ALL OF MY STUFF BACK. He had about 6 of my P-36s with parts from 6 21st P-40s to make a full model.

He told me that he had one sold to a customer and if he could keep it he would split the money with me. I said cool keep it and send me the rest back. The other 5 P-36 kits and my painted French version.

Well I got al of the parts back and the French version with NO decals that Jackson made for me.

I pulled the French P-36 out of the box and at firt glance it is a beauty. Maybe the months of waiting and anguish was worth it. Then I looked close at the model.

THERE ARE 10 MAJOR THINGS WRONG WITH IT.
First ,the rear wheel was put on backwards. When the model rest on it it collaspes.
Issues with the landing gear. He did not paint the rear frames. The problems go on and on.

I got pi$$ed. I called him about 4 times and left message saying we need to talk. i e-mailed him 4 times we need to talk. Finally he e-ailed me back . I e-mailed him back SEND ME ALL OF MY DECALS AND THE LAST P-36.

IT IS GOING ON 5 WEEKS AND I HAVE YET TO SEE MY LAST P-36 OR THE DECALS.

Skyworks took avantage of me and let me down time after time and has yet to do one thing that he told me he would do. He is not a man of his word and other people who would deal with him BEWARE.

Two word come to mind MAIL FRAUD!!!

If my last P-36 makes it down here I will deleet SOME of this post.

Pickelhaube.
Last edited by pickelhaube on Sat May 09, 2009 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Sat May 09, 2009 8:12 am

Excellent posts. I have not dealt with Skyworks, but from the experiences of these trusted board members, it sounds like Skyworks needs to either straighten out their act or leave the business. But not before you make things right with your customers.

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Sat May 09, 2009 9:02 am

Thanx for the update ... i was thinking in ordering a spitfire (but it so expensive !!!!!)

It make me think twice since money is tight with your GLOBAL AMERICAN crisis ! damn subprimes ! :lol:
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:05 am

Now.. now... lets not get to down on the guy....when you make customs you can get overwhelmed and get back logged on other projects real easy. :wink:
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

mkxiv
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mkxiv » Sat May 09, 2009 9:43 am

MilitaryToyShop.com has had numerous transactions completed with Jack at Skyworks. Every transaction has been enjoyable and professional. If one of my customers has an issue with the product I let him know and he will take care of the problem. One thing I will stress is Jacks time in very limited. He is booked months ahead with production....we keep him busy :wink: . So if you are expecting him to put a small one piece item at the top of his list, think again! He will get around to it but it has to be "fit in". If you look at what Jack has done since the conception of Skyworks up until today you will be amazed. He is continuously making his products better every time. While most of you will never be able to hold one of his Hurricanes trust me it is a work of art, and could easily pass for a $4000.00 model.

Look for a new release announcement By Skyworks later today on our website.

Regards,
Isaiah
www.militaryToyShop.com

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:52 am

VMF115 wrote:Now.. now... lets not get to down on the guy....when you make customs you can get overwhelmed and get back logged on other projects real easy. :wink:
I agree to a point.. I paint custom aircraft for a small diecast manufacturer and I sometimes get overwhelmed, but not with doing my own stuff, just with life in general. I can't seem to find time to work on planes when I need to. This leads up to delays which to me are unavoidable, but are sometimes irritating to my customer. In the end though, I take care of my customer(s) and hold off on my stuff until I am done with theirs.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

flyboy_fx

Re: Disappointment with Skyworks

Post by flyboy_fx » Sat May 09, 2009 10:11 am

Coreyeagle48 wrote:Greetings:

but it would be the responsible thing to do in the situation. At least that is how I feel anyway.

Yea i feel the same they sent you a bad product and then are giving you a hard time.
:x :roll:

I am kinda turned off from skyworks now.
I would have considered buying there sdkfz 251 but now im not so sure well not for the money they want for this stuff :shock:

lets name this the Disappointed By SkyWorks thread. :roll:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

MG-42

* QC Issues w/ Skyworks etc......

Post by MG-42 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:28 am

* I've never ordered anything from Skyworks and don't plan to , but there's no reason to jerk a customer around especially since it's @ a custom pri¢e to begin w/ .

........... you'd think you'd @ least get your $$$'s worth.

- Mitch v MG :p51: :hornet:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Sat May 09, 2009 11:09 am

Honoring commitments is the issue here. I f you do not have time for side projects due to prior commitments, don't agree to them.
Blowing off agreements with the little guy or a customer with an issue just so you can work on the big money projects (no matter how impressive they may be) is not good business.
It may still cost you financially in the end.

Just my two pesos.

Jeffrey
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Sat May 09, 2009 11:11 am

If he couldn't deliver what he promised to PH he shouldn't have made the deal, pure and simple. It's cool he has a deal with MTS but it sounds to me like PH is not even on his back burner or even the stove for that matter so don't jerk the man around and just return all his stuff so he can pursue other avenues with it. There really is no excuse for doing nothing.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat May 09, 2009 12:19 pm

vmf214 wrote:If he couldn't deliver what he promised to PH he shouldn't have made the deal, pure and simple. It's cool he has a deal with MTS but it sounds to me like PH is not even on his back burner or even the stove for that matter so don't jerk the man around and just return all his stuff so he can pursue other avenues with it. There really is no excuse for doing nothing.
Oh but he did do something. He squanderd about a year of my time with let down after let down . Painted and kept one of my creations and sent me a painted one that will not stand up on its landing gear because of poor workman ship.

I think the only person that I have let down in this hobby Super Sonic Fifi. For the above stated reason.

Sonic we need to talk.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat May 09, 2009 4:44 pm

mkxiv wrote:MilitaryToyShop.com has had numerous transactions completed with Jack at Skyworks. Every transaction has been enjoyable and professional. If one of my customers has an issue with the product I let him know and he will take care of the problem. One thing I will stress is Jacks time in very limited. He is booked months ahead with production....we keep him busy :wink: . So if you are expecting him to put a small one piece item at the top of his list, think again! He will get around to it but it has to be "fit in". If you look at what Jack has done since the conception of Skyworks up until today you will be amazed. He is continuously making his products better every time. While most of you will never be able to hold one of his Hurricanes trust me it is a work of art, and could easily pass for a $4000.00 model.

Look for a new release announcement By Skyworks later today on our website.

Regards,
Isaiah
www.militaryToyShop.com
Well this is cool. The new plane is a Ki-61 Tony.

I have been sitting on my Tony for a long time. Now jack is doing it.

I also wanted to do a Spitfire some time ago jack talked me out of it and made one himself.

At one time we were friends now hmmm.......

jack if you are reading this were is my P-36 ?

Give me the one you have posted on your web page and I will drop the matter.

Again here is proof that jack is a man of his word as I pull the knife out of my back.

Maybe I should do what 21st did to Admiral.
I guess I could finish my Tony paint it and offer it for $100-$200.

That is a little cheaper than $750 is it not ?

jack were is my P-36 and decals?

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:25 pm

Greetings

I agree with PH, we're not out to start a war on the forum. I really just wanted to make others aware of the situation and present what has been happening. If Jack delivers the tail as he promised, I have no problems with him and I will drop this. I just want my situation to be made right, as does PH.

I was actually considering ordering some of Jack's pieces for my collection. I'd love a Hurricane and I'd love a Tony, but this whole situation now has me reconsidering that.

I hope Jack will make good on his promises to both PH and I. If he does so, I would consider his business again.
Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat May 09, 2009 5:47 pm

How pathetic. If you're so busy don't take on the extra work, if you can't complete your side of the bargain, grow a pair and admit to it, don't leave the other guy hanging. Didn't we all learn this sort of stuff in grade school?
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

MG-42

* QC Issues w/ Skyworks etc......

Post by MG-42 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:11 pm

* You think a Class Action Suit is in order here Matt ?

- Mitch v MG :p51: :hornet:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:33 pm

Ill take a 1-200$ Tony!!

snake

Post by snake » Sat May 09, 2009 8:46 pm

These are significant complaints against Skyworks,by dedicated,and long time board members here.If Coreyeagle and Picklehaub are complaining,I think we should listen.
What seems to be the most troubling is the fact that a soon as there is a problem,the lines of communication seem to close.
As has been stated before in this thread,it is about following through on your commitments.
If you can't or won't honour your agreement,don't make it in the first place.
And to apparently lie to your customers,is not a good business model.
It seems that coreyeagle and PH,have been extremely patient with Skyworks,and have given them every opportunity to at least contact them,and fix the poblem.Not responding,is not good enough.
On another note.My Airstrike Toys RAF Corsair should be arriving in a couple,or three weeks.I hope it turns out better than some Skyworks transactions!

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Something that doesn't add up is: Jack has no time for the P-36....but....he has time to develop a new airframe ie. Tony... nevermind the Hurricane and Spit that came after PH's Hawk.

Pretty obvious he has no intention and likely never did of pursuing PH's Hawk... :wink:

Boy you just never know about people.

AirstrikeToys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AirstrikeToys » Sat May 09, 2009 10:28 pm

guys... I wanted to chime in here to make sure we keep things in perspective...

My comments are about custom jobs and not about jack. I haven't talked or done business with him so I don't have anything to say about skyworks.

When it comes to follow through and fixing the issues to keep your customers satisfied, you can count on airstrike.

As for the amount of time to complete a project or plane, I'll ask on behalf of all customizers, please have patience.

I'm not aware of any customizer that has made this a full time job so occassionally life can get in the way.

Don't let the timeline to complete a job keep you from ordering from any of the customizers, including skyworks.

If there are others issues, then yes use your best judgment.

I'll be the first to admit that I have had some projects take longer than I wanted to complete. In the end a quality plane was completed and the customer was satisfied.

For example, there is a boardmember that here that has waited quite a while for his plane and he has been patient. He doesn't know it yet that because of the delay he's going to get a free plane. Just to clarify it isn't anyone who has posted on this thread yet. Bottom line is that I will make it right.

Before I get off my soapbox here, airstrike has held off, until recently, from accepting any new custom projects or adding new lines or having my work sold on retailers websites
solely because of available time.

Hopefully this reply makes since. I'm in the middle of BFE this weekend and typing this out on my iPhone has taking a couple of
hours....

Reiterating my point here, patience is important when it comes to custom planes and sometimes you might even be pleasantly surprised if you have had an unusually long wait.

Thanks,
Patrick

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat May 09, 2009 11:53 pm

Patrick:

I don't have a problem with you or any of the custom work you do. You are making something for me which I can only imagine will be really cool when it comes! I am looking forward to it and also very willing to wait for it!

The issue I have with my current situation with Skyworks is that if my tail had been painted correctly off the bat, it would not have had to be sent back. Had it not had to be sent back, it would haven't gotten lost hence where we are at now. That is the main issue here. The plane looked great and he did terrific paintwork. I just expected for spending so much money not to have to send a piece back to be redone and when it got lost in the mail, and someone promises you a replacement, I expect them to honor that commitment. I can see waiting a week or two and seeing if the package shows, but it has been two months.

I admire all the customizers and I honestly hope this is an unfortunate situation that will be resolved.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun May 10, 2009 6:04 am

Hello Patrick,

Thanks for your input.

You are right customs do take time. My turn over is 1 week to 5 weeks. I think the guys who order our stuff realize that is does take time.

But 6 months to a year is kind of a long time. My situation is not between customer and customizer . It is between customizer and customizer.

This stuff hit the fan a day or so ago. Skyworks has emailed Corey twice already. HE HAS YET TO EVEN TRY TO CONTACT ME.

As far as the KI-61 Tony I was even thinking of handing him over my Tony project for him to finish. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am glad I did not do that.

This is not a sour grapes situation. In a nut shell I got the short end of a deal . I was let down time and time again. He can make restatution and make this all go away. But he has not.

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Sun May 10, 2009 8:58 am

Corey and PH, I admire the courage you've both shown by making this public.

The garbage mod I'd received was very much a buyer beware. I did try, in the review I posted here, to show what can be expected in a way to not offend his supporters here. That was difficult and not very successful. The manner that you've brought this up cut right to the chase and left no room for anyone else to feel offense.
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

flugewerke

Post by flugewerke » Sun May 10, 2009 1:31 pm

Oh we are lynching skyworks ,I cant help you boys I have nothing but the best to say about Jack always good service !I gues he likes me more than you :P