21C P-38

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
snake
Officer - Brigadier General

21C P-38

Post by snake » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Can you give me some info on the 21C P-38 variants.
I got my D-Day[Wine,women and song] about 3 years ago.
I just picked up two more yesterday,off Ebay.I got the Samantha Peyton,and the Sharkmouth[Louise].I paid $142.50 for each of them.Strange coincidence that the price was exactly the same.
I was bidding on the Put Put Maru,but was outbid.It went for $302.50.Too rich for my blood.
I know there is also the California Cutie,and the Halekala[?].
Could you give me some info on all the variants that were produced,and the rarity of these versions.Also what would be a reasonable amount to pay, even in these times.
Thanks all.

art2614
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by art2614 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:55 am

Good question. I would also like to know, I have had my eye on a few on ebay and I personally like the Put Put Maru version the best. But $300 is to much for me.

I was only planning on getting 1/18 modern vehicles and didnt want to get into any other eras because there are so many toe get. I fear I am starting to get the WW2 bug and will start buying them to. I can already hear my wife saying " were you gonna put that at" lol

digger

p-38

Post by digger » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:04 pm

The sharkmouth is the "QVC exclusive" that I mentioned here:

viewtopic.php?t=16438

For the different versions see Grunt's website here:
http://www.sshqdb.com

I think 100 is basically standard for P-38s at this point and everything except the D-Day S1 will be about that and up. I think versions like the Putt Putt will continue to go for much more.

jbell
Sergeant
Sergeant

"I Pity the Fool"

Post by jbell » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:31 pm

" I pity the fool" who just now has contracted "the fever"
There is no cheap cure. :shock:

gustav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gustav » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:29 am

I like how Putt Putt Maru just sold for $302.50 when Military Mohagany's Ebay store has the same plane for a BIN of $199.95. You'd think if one was bidding so much on a single item it would be a good idea to do a little research. Oh well...

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: p-38

Post by gburch » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:04 am

digger wrote:The sharkmouth is the "QVC exclusive" that I mentioned here:

viewtopic.php?t=16438

I think 100 is basically standard for P-38s at this point and everything except the D-Day S1 will be about that and up. I think versions like the Putt Putt will continue to go for much more.
I'm one of those fools who just got bitten. I've been obsessively tracking and researching availability and prices for a few weeks. I THINK I'm now seeing every P-38 on eBay and I just don't know where you're getting $100 as "basically standard." -- I'd say $150, at least.

art2614
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by art2614 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:08 pm

They are getting closer to $200 now. I got the Pudgy from eday and it was just a few bucks under that. I havent even seen any at any online retailers to compare price. i think ebay will be our only place to gat anymore.

snake

P-38

Post by snake » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:33 pm

Yeah,
I was just bidding on a Pudgy,and I might have been bidding against the member on the last response.He won,and I hope he enjoys the plane.
I still need one.
However,I turned around and bought a Putt Putt Maru for $200.
The Putt is probably the better "deal"
However,not only does this hobby take up a lot of space,it takes up a lot of "bank balance"
However,I am asking for any info that the members can give me on 21C P-38's

tmanthegreat

Re: P-38

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:27 am

snake wrote:I am asking for any info that the members can give me on 21C P-38's
On the P-38's, here's the basic scoop:

The P-38 was first released in 2001-2002 as part of the second wave of 21c WWII aircraft. It was the largest 1:18 plane until BBI released the F-18 in 2003; it is still on the bigger side of things.

Its level of detail is good, but not on par with the latest 21c and BBI 1:18 scale planes. The P-38 was made before master modeler Roy Sutherland worked for 21c, so the plane is a little more toy like and innacurate than newer releases. The P-38 assembly consists of the two tail booms, the horizontal stabilizer, the two wing pieces and the ordinance. It is well constructed and quite durable. My S1 P-38 once fell 5ft onto a table; its parts came off, but nothing broke or was seriously damaged.

The sclpt of the plane is decent, but again not on par with the newest releases. The panel lines are done nicely, but are a little on the large side. The nose guns are nicely detailed. The engines also look good. Intakes are not deep, however. There are not many moving control surfaces - only the ailerons move. The propellers rotate in the correct manner, meaning that the left prop rotates counterclockwise and the right prop clockwise. A nice feature!

The landing gear retract and completely close up inside the plane. These are the most tricky part of the model. The nose wheel pulls out and locks into place. To retract it, you have to push it inward, carfully, and bend it back into the retracted position. I've heard many stories from amazon.com reviews to this board about the nose gear breaking when not handled correctly. To retract the two main gear, you have to pull them down and then slide them backward where they lock in place. The main gear doors tend fall down along the wheel strut when opened and do not stay in a spread out position.

It has a detailed cockpit with the seat, instruments, control yolk, and radio equipment. The control yolk can move side-to-side. The canopy opens in the correct manner with the to piece raising, and the side lowering into the fuselage. The cockpit interior is somewhat inaccurate as the plane should have an instrument hood that comes up over the pilot's legs and has a gunsight. The 21c P-38 does not have the correct instrument panel and no gunsight - the instruments sit pretty much on the firewall at the forward end of the cockpit. The pilot figure is nicely detailed and has a removable parachute, oxygen mask, gun and knife. It is an older figure, but still works well with the newer sculpts. The figure has an odd "gaping" expression and has sunglasses. Only the S2 P-38 came with a different figure - the 21c "Corsair" pilot figure.

The aircraft comes with optional ordinance, including 10 5in rockets on "christmas tree" mounts, two 1000lb bombs and two droptanks. Early versions of the 21c P-38 also had 3in rocket tubes mounted to the sides of the fuselage pod. Those were very inaccurate. I know the S1 through S3 P-38s had them, and I can't remember which series it was that 21c stopped including them on the model.

There wrere seven versions of the P-38 that made it to retail:

S1 -- "D Day" or "Wine Women & Song"
S2 -- "Samantha Peyton"
S3 -- "Putt Putt Maru"
S4 -- "Louise" or "Sharkmouth"
S5 -- "Haleakala II"
S6 -- "Pudgy V"
S7 -- "California Cutie"

The prototype for a P-38 Nightfighter was shown once, but never made it to production.

The S1 P-38 paint scheme was modified in that its racy nose art and German swastika kills were left off. Aftermarket decals have since been made to correct this. The S2 paint scheme was entirely fictitious, though it was patterned after a typical OD green Pacific theater scheme. The S4 plane was only a QVC online retailer exclusive and is the most rare of the P-38s. See pictures of all the P-38s here: http://www.sshqdb.com/18/index.php?cat=14

The S1 through S3 P-38 versions sold at TRU for $60 between 2001-2003. All versions except the S2 "Samantha Peyton" aircraft also sold at the small retailers from approximately 2003 to the present. The S2 P-38 was a complete TRU exclusive and never sold elsewhere. Small retailer prices started around $60, but were last up to the $70-$80 range when "California Cutie" came out in 2007.

Hope all this gives you enough information about the 21c P-38 :D I don't think the P-38 is worth the $200-$300 price range, but it makes me feel good that people would pay near that amount for my S1 and S6 P-38s, if I ever decided to part with them. That is not likely to happen soon :wink:
[/code]
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:09 am

Thanks for that great overview on the P-38s. Very helpful for a newcomer like me!

art2614
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: P-38

Post by art2614 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:21 pm

snake wrote:Yeah,
I was just bidding on a Pudgy,and I might have been bidding against the member on the last response.He won,and I hope he enjoys the plane.
I still need one.
However,I turned around and bought a Putt Putt Maru for $200.
The Putt is probably the better "deal"
However,not only does this hobby take up a lot of space,it takes up a lot of "bank balance"
However,I am asking for any info that the members can give me on 21C P-38's
Thanks for the kind words and sorry you didnt win the auction. This is the bad part of getting stuff from ebay, when you are bidding against fellow collectors who want it just as bad as you do. Wich makes prices go up, But unfortionatly we dont have much of an alternative.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:32 pm

I'm cringing about the prices I'm gonna have to pay to get an Eagleston P-47 or Haleakala P-38. :shock:

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Wow, glad I got my Dad an S2 back when they were at TRU!

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: p-38

Post by Teamski » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:09 pm

digger wrote:The sharkmouth is the "QVC exclusive" that I mentioned here:

viewtopic.php?t=16438

That said, the sharkmouth P-38 was sold by at least one other on-line source, the long-lost Small Blue Planet.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:51 am

That shark mouth P-38 is the ugliest but it is the rarest... at least in terms of quantity produced. Putt Putt Maru was once the most sought after back in the early days. Then 21C ran another batch and the supply caught up with the demand.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:59 pm

The Samantha Peyton is the only one I have (sadly)
Bought it at TRU when they were $60.
I didn't know it was a fictitious scheme, but I like the simplistic OD green, no D-Day stripes paint job on it.
I tend to like the earlier paint schemes, because things were a lot harder for the pilots in the early war years. Air battles were not so much of a rout or a turkey shoot.

Of course now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy any P-38 for $60, I wouldn't care if it was pink.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

digimatt
Corporal
Corporal

p-38 decals

Post by digimatt » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:36 am

Are the correct decals for the S1 still available? If so, where? Thanks.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:58 am

Badcat has them for 13.00- wine, women and song...

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:08 am

The first P-38 I got was the Wine, Women, and Song (with the corrected decals from Badcat) and I loved it. However, a friend had one of the original release Putt Putt Maru and wanted to trade. I had done some "enhancements" on WWS, but I really wanted the Putt version. I have a signed lithograph of MacDonald's last kill (titled "Lightning Over Leyte" and signed by MacDonald and the artist Machat #544/1000) and I proudly display both in my office. Wouldn't trade either for anything.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

digimatt
Corporal
Corporal

1/18 P-38

Post by digimatt » Fri May 01, 2009 7:54 am

Thanks for the information on the decals. One more question. I'm going to be selling off my 1/18 collection. I bought most of it when 21st was just getting started and before they moved into 1/32, in which I have more interest. My P-38 is mint, but loose (you can see pics of it and the rest of the 1/18 stuff in the linked pictures).

Would I be able to sell the P-38 for more if I added the Vex. decals? What about if I also did some better weathering? Would that be true for all the loose pieces? Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

uksubs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1/18 P-38

Post by uksubs » Fri May 01, 2009 8:01 am

[quote="digimatt"]Thanks for the information on the decals. One more question. I'm going to be selling off my 1/18 collection. I bought most of it when 21st was just getting started and before they moved into 1/32, in which I have more interest. My P-38 is mint, but loose (you can see pics of it and the rest of the 1/18 stuff in the linked pictures).

Would I be able to sell the P-38 for more if I added the Vex. decals? What about if I also did some better weathering? Would that be true for all the loose pieces? Your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you the one trying to sell all is 1/18 stuff for £8000.00 on ebay ? :?:

digimatt
Corporal
Corporal

1/18 stuff

Post by digimatt » Fri May 01, 2009 8:20 am

8000 huh? No, I haven't decided how to sell it yet. Probably e-bay though.

Special price, today only, 7999 :lol: [/b]

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Fri May 01, 2009 11:25 am

Digimatt,
I wouldn't think that adding the decal to the P-38 would really increase the value much, if at all. As for enhancing the weathering, I would just leave it alone. If you added weathering, then you are kind of on the edge of a mild custom instead of an original toy. That might turn off some potential collectors.

snake

21C P-38

Post by snake » Sat May 02, 2009 2:18 am

Does any lucky member have all seven versions.And if so,which is your favourite?
I have five versions now
Wine,Women and Song[D-Day]
Samantha Peyton
Putt Putt Maru
Sharkmouth[Loise]
and Pudgy
I am missing the HaleakalaII,and the California Cutie.
Lets have an informal poll,as to favourite P-38.
Mine would be the Haleakala II,one that I do not have yet.
Special thanks to digger,and Tman for their help and info

digimatt
Corporal
Corporal

1/18 P-38

Post by digimatt » Sun May 03, 2009 8:05 am

Thanks pokeyjtc. I'll leave it the way it is.

Matt