21C WALMART UPDATE...POST FINDS HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:53 am

Slobodon.Ginfizz wrote:

But don't worry, every store I went to had a least one full aisle, sometimes two, full of new Revenge of the Sith landfill. Yeah, they're not overestimating the demand for that dying franchise.

Never say never, but I'm not going to bother checking again until someone posts here that the new stuff has shown up in my area. I have the feeling I'll be waiting a while.
I agree re: the Star Wars stuff, Walmart and TRU do tend to go overboard on mega movie stuff, and in all honesty, I hardly see any of the stock actually move, with the exception of whatever the "Hot" item is from the line. I noticed TRU did the same thing with that I-Robot stuff, and it still looks as though it's not selling, and the WM's in my AO (No Va/Md) seem to have the same situation with the Star Wars items. I kind of wish they'd go overboard with the xd/32x stuff and dedicate an aisle specifically to those product lines...ok ok ok, so I'm dreaming! lol

Slobodon.Ginfizz
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Slobodon.Ginfizz » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:16 am

It was inevitable that I would offend a Star Wars fan with that last post. Hey, I like Star Wars myself. I came very close to buying one of the new AMT Star Destroyer model kits that were just released. I even used to dress up as Darth Vader for Halloween. I was more ranting about the overwhelming volume of crap with Star Wars slapped on it that places like Walmart stock.

I'm sure the figures are very nice, and I don't doubt there are nice toys in the selection. But I answer that with "Darth Tater", the entire "Star Wars Galactic Heroes" line, and the poor quality "branded" versions of the same old board games like Stratego, Risk, the cheap chess sets, etc, all of which are available in huge quantities virtually anywhere you might go.

No doubt they turn a tidy profit, but I can't help remembering the way the Jar Jar stuff from the first movie lingered on the shelves forever, even on clearance, to the point where there was even an Onion article about it titled "80 Billion Tons Of Jar Jar Merchandise Now 70 Percent Off". And there were similar phenomena with the Attack of the Clones merchandise. Look for huge liquidation sales on this stuff in early 2006, maybe sooner.

Don't put your faith in Hasbro. They may have a near monopoly on the toy market today, but that's just leading to their stagnation and either a) their decline or b) the decline of toys in general.[/url]

Jesse James
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Jesse James » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:52 pm

No offense was taken, but I'm simply pointing out to you that people who follow Star Wars closely know better that they're not "over-estimating". They'll turn profit quite well... Sure there will be clearances, but Hasbro and retail will both make out like bandits from it. You called it a "dying franchise" and I'm just pointing out to you that was not an accurate assessment was all... It's thriving, even with past clearances.

E1 and E2's toy lines still turned tidy profits even with mass clearances and AOTC's line having 2 separate "buyback" situations occur... The lines didn't do what they thought they would though, and I think AOTC had even weaker sales than TPM did after seeing final tally's. Taking that product back really hurt the Saga line overall.

You cited Darth Tater and the Galactic Heroes lines though... I can safely tell you that Darth Tater's seen one of the highest demand rates that Hasbro has ever seen, they have been selling out since they were released some time ago (I've yet to see one)... Why? I have no clue, it's not something I'm ga-ga over, but it's proof that yes they've put the SW name on lots of odd things (every movie year is the same) but it's selling, and selling well. Same with Galactic Heroes... Is it Hasbro with too many irons in the fire? I think so, but on the plus side they confirmed to me that it's GH, and the PLayskool lines that have taken the action features/play (mostly) away from the basic 3.75" line while articulation, hidden features, and neutral poses are the dominant feature of the 3.75" basic line... It has its advantages, PLUS the GH line is incredibly popular. Hasbro said the demand for it has been a little overwhelming and to look for more product in that line.

I dont' collect it, but it's selling well or Hasbro would've pulled its plug when they tested the market with it in the first place...

Clearances are inevitable (Target already has some mark-downs from what i hear, trying to be the front runner I guess), especially as we see what's a "hit", what's a "miss", and what was simply overordered by some retailers... The line's doing well though still, and if the movie's good too then the line will do that much better. Don't look for this "dying franchise" to go away any time soon, was my point though, that's all... That's simply not the truth. They've really tweaked it for collectors over the years, finally realizing who the bread and butter are in non-movie pushes, and Lucas is promising Hasbro the media ventures they require to keep the line going even longer than many had anticipated. Good news to me.

I'd like XD to have a dedicated spot in the toy aisles though, as much as the next guy. I think it deserves it, but WM's always been strange about that... I don't think XD's in the same place twice at my local stores... I'd just like to find some figures for once though... I'd be picking up an XD army builder every time I was at the store the same as I'm now picking up a Clone or Wookiee army builder.

EDIT: And for a good look at the future of toys, and the inevitable decline of toys in general, one need only look at Asia... They're the way of the future in the Toy Industry. Things aimed squarely at adults, while video games and "technotoys" continue to capture the imagination of kids. Believe me, Hasbro sees this as well as anyone else. Toys are a dying thing for kids it seems, and eventually the industry will shift in the U.S. as it has overseas already. That's good and bad, but it's what will undoubtebly happen some day. It's already starting to happen here after it has been the trend in Asia for years now.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Walmart Recon - NW Chicago Suburbs

Post by parrish333 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:45 pm

Round Lake, IL Wal-Mart had:
Walker Bulldogs
US Halftracks
German Panzers
Marine Figs
BoB Figs (US & German)
Patton Figs
A few pilot figs (P-51, Stuka)

Other area WMs have not received this wonderful bounty yet.

Slobodon.Ginfizz
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Slobodon.Ginfizz » Sun May 01, 2005 5:00 am

OK, I'm convinced. Hasbro will do no wrong. I, for one, welcome our new Asian video game overlords. :P

Visited the Woodbridge, VA Walmart (new on my list) because I was at Potomac Mills. FW190s, P47s, and a single 32x M113.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Sun May 01, 2005 9:43 am

Slobodon.Ginfizz wrote:Star Wars Galactic Heroes
No knocking the Galactic Heros line! :P I, and many people I know, actually collect those. They don't move or do a darn thing, but look rather funny.

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

For those in Cincy

Post by Quixote511 » Sun May 01, 2005 10:23 am

I hit the Tylersville/I-75 Wally Friday and they had 3 (now minus one) black 109s. Still, I am not having luck with the HT or Cargo trucks but I will continue to look.
Aaron

TERZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TERZ » Sun May 01, 2005 7:04 pm

checked the monroe ny walmart, had 8 bubbletop p47's that's it.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Sun May 01, 2005 8:10 pm

Found some P-47 bubble tops v2Eileen at College Station WM. They seemed to have a couple of FW 190's also. I think v3 or 4. Otherwise no figures at any WM's in CS or Austin.
Todd

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Mon May 02, 2005 9:00 am

Damn, and I thought we were going to see better distribution. It's still feast or famine at good 'ole Walmart. It looks like the East coast for the most part lucked out this time.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon May 02, 2005 12:56 pm

Teamski wrote:Damn, and I thought we were going to see better distribution. It's still feast or famine at good 'ole Walmart. It looks like the East coast for the most part lucked out this time.....

-Ski
Guess we still can't depend on Wal Mart - but then I'm sure the loads of new stuff will show up in the west soon enough.

...and if the east coast got lucky this time, then the F-104s and Avengers will show up in the west first :P

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by rmoore456 » Mon May 02, 2005 2:01 pm

After being in contact with Walmart Hq for the past week, today armed with all the store numbers within a reasonable driving distance I found out not a single store in central Illinois is getting any of the new stuff. According to them 1/18th doesn't sell well. Of course not if all there is are dozens of candy cane and chevron FW's all over.

Ray

Slobodon.Ginfizz
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Slobodon.Ginfizz » Mon May 02, 2005 2:09 pm

Well, it may seem like the East Coast lucked out, but the D.C. area has had nothing new. I consistantly see reports from Deleware to the north and North Carolina to the south, but D.C. usually gets left out of the mix for whatever reason. Plus, didn't I see some reports of CA Walmarts getting the stuff? And Nevada?

As I've said before, Winchester VA has traditionally had the strongest selection around here, and they recently liquidated 21st Centuries' entire line, with no restock in sight. I can't blame the store manager, because although they had plenty of quantity, the selection was horrible, and it tended to just sit on the shelf. When I try to imagine why they insist on stocking, and then overstocking, the same unpopular items over and over again, I picture a scenario like this:

<scene> Customer standing with Walmart Regional Toy Requisitions Manager in front of display of XD Super Cobras in original red boxes
[WRTRM] So, see anything here that interests you?
[C] Um, they're all the same. I don't particularly like helicopters.
[WRTRM] OK, well how about NOW?
<Manager adds a dozen green box Cobras to the display>
[C] It's just more of the same helicopter! I told you, not interested.
[WRTRM] No, no, no! See, there are two different paint jobs on the new batch! Now how much would you pay?
[C] I don't want a helicopter!
[WRTRM] Humph! Fine!
<Manager adds a dozen CIA helicopters to the display>
[WRTRM] STILL not satisfied?
[C] OK, it's a different helicopter, I admit, but what's with the weird paint job? Weren't these things usually green or something? What's Air America? Look, don't you have any planes? I hear there are these cool planes...
[WRTRM] I have just the thing
<Manager adds 24 Air Cav Hueys to the display. Customer glares at manager.>
[WRTRM] (Mumbling) Why can't I sell any of this stuff?!
[WRTRM] (To customer) OK, you're not an aircraft person, how about a nice armored vehicle?
[C] You mean a tank? Sure! What do you have?
<Manager adds 2 dozen Bradleys to the display>
[C] A ... Bradley? Huh. Not the most popular tank in the world, you know? Aren't those the ones I always see burning on the news? Do you have anything else?
<Manager adds 4 Tigers to the display, but before the customer can pick one up, other customers grab them and head for the register>
[C] Wait! Wait! I WANT one of those!
[WRTRM] Oh, I'm sorry, we're out of stock, and we won't be getting any more. But look what we just got in!
<Manager adds a dozen M113s to the display>
[C] What the ...? I've never even HEARD of an M113!! That's it, I'm out of here!
[WRTRM] Wait! Come back! Perhaps you'd like some Revenge of the Sith Bubble Bath!
<end scene>

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Mon May 02, 2005 4:46 pm

Although I am still holding out hope for stumbling upon a Walmart fully stocked, I'm thinking this may turn out good for small retailers. I know I will probably just order a case of the Japanese figures from one of the online places, rather than hoping a Walmart around here gets the figures.

billgiff
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by billgiff » Mon May 02, 2005 5:03 pm

WAL MART SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No sign of any new XD stuff in the five N.J. stores that I went to. I checked three in Pa. also with not a damn thing in stock. I guess that the Tri-State Area will miss the boat once again. Way to go WAL MART!!!!!!!!!!!!! You never cease to amaze me. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by billgiff on Mon May 02, 2005 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

21C-Area21 Walmart Update

Post by donnieboy » Mon May 02, 2005 6:17 pm

Here in Hot Springs, Arkansas, I check the two Wal-Marts regularly. Nothing New!
The same few Bf-109Es and FW-190Ds have been gathering dust for months. Despite James Allen's assertions of improved stocking, I have never seen any of the following at Hot Springs Wal-Marts:
Air Cav Huey, Cobra, Corsair, Spitfire, P-40, P-38, P-47 bubbletop, Bf-109G, Panther Tank, PKFW IV, M3 halftrack, KFDZ 251 halftrack, Humvee, Sky Captain, or Sahara stuff. Bummer! :(
Go Starbuck!

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Mon May 02, 2005 6:23 pm

I know how those of you feel about WM stocking the new XD stuff. You would think that since 21st is based in Calif. that most of the WM's in CA would get their fair share of the goods. NOT SO!!!! I've been to my local area WM's ever since the news broke that the new stuff started appearing on WM's shelves and to have come up with ZILCH!!!! It took a suggestion by another board member to try WM's outside my local area before I could track any of this new stuff down. It's a shame how WM chooses to supply their stores. It's like trying to by a Ford Mustang and going to Ford and never find any available for sale. Oh well! :(

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Mon May 02, 2005 10:48 pm

I must say that Wal-Marts ditribution baffles me. I have over 10 WMs I check in the Houston area and it seems like no two ever really have the same stuff (except for the FW190 right now). Each store also has their own clearances and timing of them. Some Wal-Marts clearance stuff off quickly and restock (not always as quickly) and some are content to let the same six planes rot on their shelves at full price for going on two years now

From what I have read on the board, it seems like certain areas of the country get a bunch of one or two types of planes and none of the other types, but hardly anybody ever gets all of the available types. Does anyboby know why the ditribution is they way it is? I guess nobody really knows or somebody would know how to fix it. Just my two cents.

INTREPER
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by INTREPER » Tue May 03, 2005 7:25 am

I guess they're Walmart for a reason eh?

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Tue May 03, 2005 9:22 am

Nothing new in San Antonio either guys.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue May 03, 2005 8:13 pm

Conspiracy theories???

Is it a fact that WM wants a store every three blocks all across the country? I have heard that if we let them build all these new stores, they will stock 21c in every store. :roll: Except for Queens NY, where the misguided population said a big NO to let WM have a location there....no 21c for you!!!

Is it a fact that the grassy knoll is now a WM? A connection? 8)

Isn't Big Sam WM part of the "Right Wing Conspiracy", out to get Billy and Hil at all costs?? I heard he has said, if we back his ideas, he,ll let us have all have all the 21c we want. :shock:

One never knows, does one?

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

OnWu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wal Mart not designed for collectors

Post by OnWu » Wed May 04, 2005 5:07 am

Wal Mart is simply not a store designed for collectors. Being a mass retailer, they stock some of the large chunks but all the good stuff that collectors want slips through the cracks. Sort of like trying to strain macaroni with a fishing net. Their distribution network cannot and will never be able to handle every paint scheme in every store for every piece, nor would it probably be in WM's best interest to do so. Even TRU, who was much more focused than WM in their product lines, distributed 21st stuff in a very irregular, hit or miss way. Venting on a message board is not going to change this.

Once the happy marriage between 21st and WM goes south, and I guarantee it will, I'm afraid the collectors will be left with nothing. This relationship is destroying the independent dealer network. What independent in their right mind would pay more for delivered wholesale than WM's retail price? And, pay this high price 3-10 weeks AFTER WM has received their merchandise. Take a look at the big online guys, already several of them appear to be moving in other directions. TF is all Star Wars, BC is promoting Franklin Mint, BBWT is pushing Corgi, etc.

WM will sell 21st so long as sales justify shelf space. The minute the next big movie or latest childhood craze (Cabbage Patch, Ninja Turtles, Elmo, Power Rangers, etc) hits with full force, those big 21st boxes will be in the garden department on clearance, once and for all. As a consumer, it's nice to get a rock bottom deal but the days of this line are numbered. Get while the gettin's good.

digger

WM

Post by digger » Wed May 04, 2005 7:58 am

Lousy distribution has helped many online retailers - I know BCA pays their rent from 21st Century, I don't care what anybody says. And if you go to GoodStuff, ToyFed and other big XD sources they sell out a lot of XD product too. I know I don't plan to go crazy looking for Japanese figures on the pegs; I'm gonna pre-order a case (or 3) the day they are announced 8) .
The reason the good times are going to end is because people are running out of space, and 21st knows this. I too think that the end of 2006 will be the winding down of the XD line, but I don't think it will be because of Ninja Turtles.
If selling XD online wasn't profitable then it wouldn't be available at 10 times more Etailers now than it was 2 yrs. ago when the stuff was at TRU. :wink:

gustav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gustav » Wed May 04, 2005 9:06 am

The end of XD?

Last night I stopped by the WM in West Mifflin, Pittsburgh and saw between six and eight 1:6 remote control humvees for 200 burgers each. Cool toy, but 200 bucks? Not to mention the space they took up. Too bad the 1:18 selection was limited to two red 3 fws, one galland 109, and one p-47.

After seeing that, I began wishing 21st would just concentrate exclusively on 1:18. But, I soon realized that if they did it would be bye-bye 21st. To survive, a business needs to continuously come up with more and more products. I think 21st is doing that and that the 1:32 and 1:6 lines will supply 1:18 with a staying power well beyond 2006.

At least I hope!