1/18 Pavehawk Custom Mods

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:33 pm

you also need to add the pitot tubes and other antenna
I would only be interested if those are added..

my biggest problem is what to do with the gunners doors...removing them without doing unreversable damaging is daunting you need a real steady hand to achieve this....... :shock:

but I want mydoor gunners doors to opean and close.

DAM you bbi!!!!!!!!!!! you should have not overlooked the small stuff........ :lol:
Last edited by VMF115 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:07 pm

VMF115 wrote:you also need to add the pitot tubes and other antenna

my biggest problem is what to do with the gunners doors...removing them without doing unreversable damaging is daunting you need a real steady hand to achieve this....... :shock:
The antenna is on top. Does a helo even have a pitot tube ? I do not know were it is located. If you go with the exterior gun mounts NO CUTTING OF THE WINDOW WILL HAVE TO BE DONE. :D :D :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:55 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
VMF115 wrote:you also need to add the pitot tubes and other antenna

The antenna is on top. Does a helo even have a pitot tube ? I do not know were it is located. If you go with the exterior gun mounts NO CUTTING OF THE WINDOW WILL HAVE TO BE DONE. :D :D :D
they are on the top right above the pilot and copilot.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:13 pm

I made some mods on mine I made

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:48 pm

Enough with the 1/18 scale Doomsday already. 1/18 scale will continue as long as we want it to.

Moving on. I fiddeled around with the exterior mount today and it looks like that the hard point may have to be moved back like Phil Spud and Patrick said. The mini gun should be in about the center of the small double window. Inside mount outside mount it does not matter. If you do not move the hard point the base of it may be slam up next to the gun. If anything you will have to shave the base so it will not least LOOK tight next to it. I may have the starbord side mount made hopefully late Friday or for sure it will be done on Sat.

Calm down guys who is it that said " the reports of my death are a bit premature "

As long as we as collectors enjoy this hobby it will continue to live. Some of the helmets I have are over 120 years old. That hobby has been alive for that long.
I also have about a dozed stereo viewers that are over 100 years old. That hobby is alive and well since it was started by all of our great great Granmothers.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:42 pm

I had a little time today to work on the mini. I have the mount a little big. It belongs on the Alien planet. :twisted:

I have the first shot of primer and it needs to me touched up a wee bit.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:12 pm

Well I cut the slots in the flash supresser ( what a pain ) and finished the starbard side gun mount . The slots need to be touched up but I was in a hurry to get some pics out.I am not sure how the slots will take in the molding process but I will try. Worst case senario is that the flash may be made without the slots. We will see.

All I have to do is make the port side wheel wrap around gun base and the amo boxes and this project is about done for the proto type making. I will see how the demand is to see if I make the internal gun mounts. The outside gun mounts may be the least used of the mounts but you do not have to cut the window.

I need to talk to Matt over at Fox Hole Toys but we are almost ready to take preorders. We are close on prices. That will be addressed a little later.

If I get a good day in tomorrow I will be done with the boxes.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:13 pm

Double post :oops:

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:32 am

Everyone must be too busy clicking refresh at MD to even notice this. Those guns look great, better than I imagined. When you get the other side mounted, can you show us the pics. I don't know if I can afford the fuel probe and radomes, so I want to see how the mounts look without that attached. Anyways, amazing job, you exceed my expectations and I will be buying a set.

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:36 am

Actually, can we get a pic that shows everything at once? It should really look like a Pavehawk now and only you have seen it. :cry:

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:52 am

looks real good!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:00 am

pcsguy88 wrote:Everyone must be too busy clicking refresh at MD to even notice this. Those guns look great, better than I imagined. When you get the other side mounted, can you show us the pics. I don't know if I can afford the fuel probe and radomes, so I want to see how the mounts look without that attached. Anyways, amazing job, you exceed my expectations and I will be buying a set.
I think you are right. This thing is getting close to production and everybody is spending their money on 21st deals. I am guilty of this myself. I kind of went into a buying frenzy and I am short in the money department to get other things THAT I MUST HAVE.

I will try to post a full mock up of all the parts. Hopefully I can get on those amo cans and get them up as well.

So save a little money for the customs. There are plenty on the horizon. This will be a very good year in the XD world.

TELL THOSE NAY SAYERS TO PUT A CLAMP ON IT.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:12 am

Pickelhaube,
Looks fantastic. I'm still leaning towards the internal mounts, so hope they get done. Escpecially since I've already removed one door and about halfway thru removing the other door.
I have another pavehawk still in the box and a blackhawk outside the box as well though, so depending on price may need to "spruce" these up as well.
Can't wait to see the mock up with everything on it.
Phil
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:23 am

I haven't lost sight of this custom either. Looking very good. Can't wait until it's finished and ready to go.

I do hope you'll make those internal gun mounts too though.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:45 am

Looking good

Phaid
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Phaid » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:57 am

That is just awesome. I am totally getting one of these when you have them up at Foxhole.

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:28 pm

Phaid wrote:That is just awesome. I am totally getting one of these when you have them up at Foxhole.
Same here.

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:48 pm

I'm up for everything once the set is completed. I'm anxious to see the whole thing assembled on one of the pavehawks too. Like some of the others have mentioned I'm hoping for an internal mount too. I would like to take the helicopter apart but it costs so much, I'm just so unsure.
Best,
-Paul

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:12 pm

OK I do not have any referances on the interior mount for the mini. So I made a little sketch on how I am going to make it. If it is totaly wrong let me know before I make with the right mock up.

The square stock will slide on the square swing arm. I guess I could drill a few holes say 1/2 inch on center in the 2 inch span.

LET ME KNOW IF THIS LOOKS RIGHT. OR SHOULD I NOT HAVE A BASE AND JUST USE A SHAFT. By having this base you can put it anywere you want and with tiny screws will not leave a big hole for the shaft.
Last edited by pickelhaube on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:13 pm

Well the amo can is done and I tweek the flash. Not to easy to do with something the size of a pea. :shock:

So if I can get some feed back on the interior mount the proto types will be done then it is production time.

Last edited by pickelhaube on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:14 pm

A triple post :shock:

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by B-29 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:58 pm

Looks great!

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:51 pm

PH,
If I'm not mistaken the internal mount is simply an "L" shaped bar that slides into a hole on the bulkhead of the window. There is no post mounted to the floor of the aircraft cabin like you show in your drawing.
See the following pictures.
The first one shows the mount on left hand side of picture below and to the left of the fire extinguisher. Same with the second picture
The 3rd picture shows the hole where the mount would go but the mount is not installed. It is the hole on the far left of the window bottom bulkhead.

All we need to do is drill a hole in the bulkhead part that runs horizontally along the bottom of the window opening that will match the size of whatever your "L" shaped arm is.
Later,
Phil

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:54 pm

I learned something else new. The external mounts are the newest version. They can also be "locked" in a forward firing position and remotedly fired by the pilot. I didn't know that till I ran across it in some research today.
Thought some of you might not know that. The internal mounted version cannot be remotely fired by pilot.
Phil

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Geez Phil,

That's all there is to it? :D Consider the prototypes done boys. I'll have this knocked out in about 2 hrs.

I will be busy with my regular work Tues and Wends with a half day on Thur. So I will probably have it all done on Thur. Should I try and do a picture frame type rig to make things easier for you all to open the engineers window ? Or just jump into production and forget about the window ?

Thanks all you guys for the kind remarks it is nice to be appreciated.