1/18 Pavehawk Custom Mods

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:09 pm

pickelhaube wrote: Should I try and do a picture frame type rig to make things easier for you all to open the engineers window ?
You mean like building a frame for the window to make it look pretty? That would be neat. Mucking up my helicopter, as i mentioned, worries the crap out of me.
Best,
-Paul

Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:10 pm

I'd be down for a couple of window frames... :)
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:32 pm

Well I was going to start the interior gun mount today. But before I started I wanted to see what was inside the helo to see were it would go. Well the quick answer is there is a window sill inside of the helo. The only way to have seen this is to cut it open. I was not sure were to cut it so I just cut around the out side window frame.

I need to back up. I had to get the hard points off first. They do pop off REAL EASY. Just put a screw driver in the slot and pry AWAY from the window on both side. I think it was Spud who found this out.

Anyway back to the window after I cut I thought I would play around and see how much work that it would be to make the pop in window frames. So here is the results of about 3 hrs worth of work.

Here is the hardpoint in the original position.

Here it is moved to the proper location slightly rounded on the bottom.

Here is were the windows will go after the opening is made.I think only one window is needed. Can you really see both? I think not. Plus by using both windows may build it up too much.

Here is the new frame rough as a cobb. It is no way close to being finished but you get the idea. I sprayed it with a little primer. For some reason my camera does not pick up the raw white plasic mock up.

I know Bill Giff and Bird Dog would like to have the window frames. is there anybody else ? Let me know because it will take about 2 days to get both sides made and finished and ready to mold. If there will only 2 guys who want it, I will hold off on making them. Est price $30 for both frames. If you guys feel sqeemish about cutting out your window this could be the was to go. If you cut it and goof these will cover your boh bohs. :wink:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:28 pm

This kit is going to be more than the helicopter isn't it? Those window frames would be a lifesaver, but they are expensive for what you are getting. How much is the estimate for the entire kit at this point? If the whole kit WITH the window frames is going to be LESS than the cost of the helicopter, i will take a set of the windows frames too. I hope that doesn't come off as jerk-ish. I know you put a lot of work into this stuff.
Best,
-Paul

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Tambo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:10 pm

I'm doing 2 choppers at the same time (one for a fellow instructor who helps me out) I'd be interested to see the price breakdown for all the different parts.
Good trades: C00per, pcb122605, digger, vulgarvulture X2, General Blasto X2, Light.Inf.Scout, V2 Man, Sentinel, xddave, grunt1

[img]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/230/230828/folders/190465/2439227TAMBOSIGsmall.JPG[/img]

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:20 pm

Well you know I'm up for them.

They look great and the window being open makes this upgrade even more effective even with the outside mounted minigun.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:08 pm

paulpratt wrote:This kit is going to be more than the helicopter isn't it? Those window frames would be a lifesaver, but they are expensive for what you are getting. How much is the estimate for the entire kit at this point? If the whole kit WITH the window frames is going to be LESS than the cost of the helicopter, i will take a set of the windows frames too. I hope that doesn't come off as jerk-ish. I know you put a lot of work into this stuff.
I am close to having the prices for the pieces parts. As far as the window inserts go, if you build the inserts yourself you are probably going to take a day or a day and a half . Is that worth $30 ?

So far here are the parts that I have made for the kit and the time it took me to build them.

1. Fuel probe 1 day
2. Center radome 1 day
3. Portside radome 1 day
4. FLIR 1 day
5. M-134 mini gun 2 days.
6. Gun support starboard side 1 day

Yet to be done
1. Port side gun suport est time 1 day
2. Interior gun mount 1/2 day
3. Window frame pop ins 1 1/2 days.

This is actual time. Maybe I am slow but I try to get the parts as close as I can. So that will be a total of 10 days hands on to do the custom parts. So if I am slower than the average modeler knock off 3 days. That is still 7 days worth of work if you built these parts yourself. What is 7 days worth of work to the average guy ? $700 if you count $100 a day. Guys we will not charge $700 for these parts.

The full kit will probably be more than the Pavehawk . But the alternative is to spend about a solid week making these upgrades yourself. Is a week worth of time saved worth $60 or even $100 ? More? I kind of think so.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:42 am

I'm going to pass on the window inserts. My doors came off really clean. I've already sanded the edges down and cut a couple of styrene pieces to hide the gaps between the bulkhead and fuselage. A little puddy and paint and I think it will look really good.
Phil
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:48 am

Love the doors......I am in :wink:
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:24 pm

OK , so there are 3 guys who may want the window inserts. Any more interest ? Am I kicking a dead dog ? If so I will skip the windows , finish the gun mounts and start production.

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:03 pm

Pickelhaube,

I hope i didn't offend. I do some of this stuff on my own, I'm just learning and going through trial and error so i understand the time you put in and i do FULLY appreciate it.
I'm the first guy to hand out the kudos and i have a total man crush on you for taking the time to build these items from scratch.

Despite what my gut tells me, i gotta pass on the window inserts.

*EDIT - 2 minutes later* - Frak it. Give me the window inserts. I have a hefty tax return coming, so i might as well give some of it to someone who deserves it.
Best,
-Paul

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:04 pm

I would buy a set of window inserts. :D
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:05 pm

I do feel sqeemish about cutting out the window opening.

This piece does make for a clean respectable opening after my not so smooth cutting.

I am in.
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:36 pm

I think that makes five... :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by B-29 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:30 am

I'd be in depending on how much I money I can get. My parents confiscated the money I had saved for this because I was "spending too much on 1/18". Anyway, I'd love to get my hands on one full kit, window frames included.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:30 pm

Well everything is done. Except the pop in windows. Those will take some time.

Here is the interior gun mount.

I extended the top rail over the window . I thinlk it looks better this way. I am also going to put faux sliding tracks on the bottom insert face. I was thinking about mounting a window on the side of the pop in unit so it will be a compleet unit. But by doing that paint may be an issue. I was only going to paint these black or gray . The camo is a bit too much plus if it is not a perfect match someone may become disgrunteld.

Port side exterior gun mount and amo can.

Oh.. BTW it was VERY HARD TO DRILL THE HOLE FOR THE INTERIOR GUN PINTEL . You can't geta drill bit in there strait. I had to kind of waller it out from the side. If you choose to go with the window insert it will hide the horror :wink:

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:44 am

:shock: :shock: :shock:

AWESOME!!!!

This kit is outstanding. I can't wait to get mine so I can fix create my MH-60L.

Don't worry about painting the window inserts, I can do that myself... :wink: :D

Unbelievable job Matt.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:39 am

Birddog wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

AWESOME!!!!

This kit is outstanding. I can't wait to get mine so I can fix create my MH-60L.

Don't worry about painting the window inserts, I can do that myself... :wink: :D

Unbelievable job Matt.
Thanks Birdman for the support during this project.

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Birddog wrote:

Unbelievable job Matt.
Unbelievable indeed.
Best,
-Paul

vespapilot79
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by vespapilot79 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:10 am

Amazing work!!

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:29 am

Is there going to be a place to preorder these sets to get an idea of how many would like them. I am really wanting this stuff. Hopefully next we will see a F-16 and F/A-18 armament set (Hint).

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:30 am

PH,
Is there any new status for these getting ready to produce? I'm guessing you are busy with your real job? Thought I'd add something just to "bump" this back up to the front page.
Phil

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:59 pm

Well we are taking a back seat for right now with all of the Monkey business on everybodies mind and wallets . It makes since to be prudent rather than pushing this custom for right now.

When Monkey hit the fan everybody was in a feeding frenzy (myself included ) and it looked like the interest in this custom just dropped. So we will be holding back for a week or so until this blows over and people can replentish there funds.

I am taking this time to work on some prototypes in the lull and also my regular work is starting to come back.

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:42 am

Have tax return, will pay for custom 1:18 Pave hawk accessories!
Best,
-Paul

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:56 am

I too have my "loan to the government" back (minus any interest I might have accrued had they not taken it in the first place!) and am ready to get some mini-guns, etc...!