BBI Pavehawk helicopter

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
P39time
Sergeant
Sergeant

BBI Pavehawk helicopter

Post by P39time » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:55 am

I am thinking about getting a BBI Pavehawk helicopter. Does anyone have one? I would like to see pictures of the model if anyone can post some. Thanks for the help.
Jarod

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:09 pm

I had one once upon a time, but sold it to another board member last year when the OD green Blackhawk was re-released.

The Pavehawk is exactly the same as the regular BBI Blackhawk, save for the paint scheme. The paintwork is excellent (or at least it was on mine). There is not too much weathering and the OD green Blackhawk actually had more. Also, no refueling probe. The main features include the detailed cockpit and interior with seats for 12-14 figures, opening side doors, rope & winch, opening cockpit doors, rotating props, and rolling wheels. The gun windows behind the cockpit do not open, which makes it difficult to place figures in the crew chief seats and the front row of the passenger seats. As the Pavehawk uses one of BBI's earlier toolings, do not expect the cockpit detail to be outstanding like on the 21c helos and the later BBI aircraft. It is detailed, just not along the current levels. Nevertheless, it is the only 1:18 Blackhawk/Pavehawk, looks great, is huge, and well worth the price!

On an added note, The BBI Nightstalker pilot "Chopper Harris" figures were seemingly tailor-made to go with the Pavehawk 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:55 pm

Check with aviatornut, he should be getting some in soon and the price is just right.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:03 pm

I have 2 of these unopened in the box. This is just like the Blackhawk with a different paint scheme. A real Pavehawk has the refueling boom without the extended range fuel tanks. the paint scheme is nicely done though and it is a beautiful helicopter especially for about $60. There are no M134 miniguns as the door guns do not open.
I got two of these planning to convert into an RC version. I also have the blackhawk. I'm thinking of doing some scratchbuilding to add a fuel probe and the M134s along with FLIR and terrain following radar in the nose.
Here's a couple pics from a few places.

A couple of the real thing:
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:23 pm

I wonder if Pickelhaube could make a refueling probe for the BBI Pavehawk? It sure would add to the looks of the helicopter. :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:45 pm

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:56 pm

popeye357 wrote:Check with aviatornut, he should be getting some in soon and the price is just right.
Thank you for the plug!!!
We have them in stock and shipping out today for $54.99 each

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:00 pm

deleted

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:22 pm

It just ain't right without the radar dome and the probe...for probing...stuff. I'm disappointed.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:27 pm

That's a great deal at Aviatornut right now. Here's a couple more of a BBI Pavehawk RC version with a refueling probe and the FLIR and Terrain radar on the nose. I don't know why the extended range fuel tanks were left on - with a refueling probe it is kind of redundant, don't think you ever see both at the same time? It sure looks good in flight.
This is a nice job by a guy that goes by NYTURTLE. I think Picklehaube could do a better job on the refueling probe and FLIR/radar though.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Sabrefan wrote:I wonder if Pickelhaube could make a refueling probe for the BBI Pavehawk? It sure would add to the looks of the helicopter. :D
This would be a walk in the park. Does anybody have any better pics of the real thing to look at?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:13 pm

Can you guys help me find pictures of the Pavehawk refueling probe? I need to get some to Pickelhaube so he can make some for us. I am trying to find pictures of how the probe is attached to the Pavehawk helicopter. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Paul Hebert

Aviatornut.com
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Aviatornut.com » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:40 pm

Put me down for one... if you make it.

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:43 pm

I am in too !

phil

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:44 pm

I'm up for a refueling probe as well if you make them.... :wink: :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:05 pm

Greetings

Here are some pictures of a Pavehawk performing a rescue demonstration at an airshow I went to. As well as getting refueled. Thought you guys might like to see them. This was a terrific demonstration.

Picture codings say "Blackhawk" but it was a Pavehawk.

Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Foxhole Toys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Foxhole Toys » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi Matthew!

We'll take some refueling booms and miniguns if you can make them. (hint, hint) Maybe we can offer them with our Pave Hawks. (?) :)

Cheers,
Matt
Foxhole Toys ..."Dive in!"
www.FoxholeToys.com

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:33 am

Matt-

Count me in for a Pavehawk upgrade kit. I may be able to help with some reference material too.

BTW, anyone know whats up with the nav lights on the doghouse of that 60 in Coreys pics? Don't think I have ever seen that setup before.Image

-Rob

"You have to go out, but you don't have to come back".

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:20 am

Count me in as well. Here are a few more of the real thing and a couple of NYTURTLE's solution up close.

I like miniguns better but if you notice the first picture, that pavehawk has .50Cals instead.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:53 am

It looks like this may be popular. Would you guys want the boom to telescope or just be static ? The telescoping would increase the cost. Static only would keep the cost down.

I usualy post an estimated cost on these things. Some times I do fine with the cost sometimes I do not. For the guys who want this I know $10 would be a perfect price. But that is not realistic. It will take about a day and a half to make the master. About $50 worth of RTV taking a half a day to make the molds.

The time it would take to pour one of these after R and D would be about one and a half hours. It will take about $7 worth of resin to pour one .

So what would you guys be willing to pay for a fueling probe ?
This has never been done before by any model company. To ask the customer how much they are willing to pay for an item. This price will determine if the project will be done or not.

Man is this cutting edge or what ? :shock:

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:57 am

I think a static probe would be the way to go. This would not only be easier for you, but if it would keep the cost down for everyone, that is a good thing. Do you have an idea how much you want for the probe? I have no idea what price to say, I just want one and I will pay you what you want. :D
Paul Hebert

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:18 am

Sabrefan wrote:I think a static probe would be the way to go. This would not only be easier for you, but if it would keep the cost down for everyone, that is a good thing. Do you have an idea how much you want for the probe? I have no idea what price to say, I just want one and I will pay you what you want. :D
I do know how much I want to charge. But I may be in dangerous waters by saying this, I want the guys who want this to have there say on cost to speak up. Foolish maybe but ......

I will say something on cost. If the Chinese manufactores were to make this probe there retail price would be about $15 painted finished and in a nice package. There cost would be about $7 a unit. But they would have to make at least 5,000 of them to make. So in order to get this at $15 a unit one will have to invest $35,000 . That would be a bit pricey to get one or two.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:33 am

I would really want to get the FLIR and Terrain following radar as well - it just ain't a real pavehawk with the refueling probe only. Static probe is the way to go. Is it unrealistic to get the whole set (probe,FLIR,and Terrain radar) for $50-$60? Too much more than that and I'll probably consider tackling it myself. I know your labor and the ultimate number demanded will be the deciding factor (the more people want it the cheaper you can make it). For $60 I can get a whole new pavehawk at Aviatornut though.
I've seen a member's post a while back (MIG29K?)who's done the M134 miniguns (a beautiful job!). If he has a mold for that he could probably make some money off this as well.
I would be in for the probe only if that is all I could get though.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:57 pm

OK, OK, I didn't mean to kill the thread - I could settle for just the refueling probe (static to make it easy). Here's a couple more up close from a MH-60L DAP model.
Let's just "Get 'er dun!"

P39time
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by P39time » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Nice looking model. I hope Pickelhaube can make a refueling probe. I have always admired his work, and this helicopter really needs that probe.
Jarod