What's the Best P-51?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

What's the Best P-51?

Post by pcoughran » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:23 pm

If you could only get one 1/18 P51, which one would it be? Is there a quality difference between BBI's and 21st Cen? Does BBI only make the Donald Duck version?
I like several of the schemes but can only afford to add one of these to the collection (I have more than one corsair scheme which I like better than the P-51).
I'm sure many of you have more than one version to compare - let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RAD 2112 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:24 pm

I am partial to BBI, but that's just me.

Besides Donald Duck, BBI also made "KILLER!" & "OLD CROW"

There is no security in this life. There is only opportunity.
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List:
Black Lion VF-213, hworth18, KWR190, nooker 21, Olifant, Tmanthegreat, Trigger1, V2 MAN, vulgarvulture, Coreyeagle48

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:26 pm

The overall shape of the new 21st Mustang is far superior over the BBI. It makes the BBI Mustang look fat and pudgy.

But the details on the BBI Mustang is far superior over the 21st version.

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

MUSTANG COLLECTOR

Post by supersonicfifi » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:42 am

As an avid P51 collector i own quit a few in evry scale and particulary 2 BBI (oldcrow + killer) and 1 x 21stCT (Oldcrow latter version).

Both have their pro & cons :

BBI ones have a dirty operationnal look but the landing gear is not wellpositionned (plus you've got to re position the ordonnances under the wings in their proper place : there is a link in the custom forum somwhere discussed 2 years ago !) the gear as got a little backward stance !

The 21st CT one is shiny & new fresh from the factory the nose is more pointy and the landing gear is better (though both are not correct because the "legs" are extended to fit the wing for "in flight" display)

I like both BBI & 21st Pilots in different ways (BBI as a nice finish and 21St has a good expression wich make him very realistic)

after reading and seeing many pictures of mustang i wish 21 would have made a different proppeler than the BBI ( both have the large "paddles" one) but it's really a tough choice !

If really i had to choose i would pick the "KILLER" BBI ! (it's really dirty and the details are great : rivet on the skin and rust in evry corners ... even dirty tires !!!!!)

it makes a more impressive display (like out of a cloud after a tough battle !)

But it's nice to dipslay both model side by side to compare ( for exemple the 21ST CT tail wheel is far better than the BBI one ! and so on ...)

I made a display with both OLD CROW facing each other , it's nice because the BBI one is the early paint scheme (all green) and the 21st CT is the letter paint scheme with the paint removed (appart from the nose) and in metal finish to gain some few knots !

it's an intersting display particulary if you put in perspective an earlier 1/32 malcolm hood P51 C from 21st CT frome the same group ...
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

Light.Inf.Scout
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:18 am

Personally, I like the 21C ones better.
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

ExC17load
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ExC17load » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:32 am

Owning 11 of them, I feel that the BBI mustang shows more details and varies its offerings between the shiny aluminum and olive drap, but the 21C have a better, smoother look to them. They are both good and I dont mind displaying one of each next to each other. It may come down to personal preference.
"I can stop collecting 1:18 scale anytime, really I can. OOoh, the new Stuka re-paint! I don't have that one.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:55 am

You got to you get both. 8)
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:10 am

I've got samples of both. The early 21'st aren't as good as the later ones.
I really like the details of the BBI's, but there are so many cool schemes to choose from with both.
I really like the 21st Flying Undertaker.

The discussion of the "Old Crow" P-51's brings up a question I have:

Which is correct, the BBI one with olive drab or the 21st one that is silver?

I thought the only olive ones Bud Anderson flew were the P-51C's. But then again I've seen the restored flying P-51D in the olive drab colors.

Is the BBI one right or wrong simply because we don't have any mass market 1:18 "C's" and BBI made a mistake?
Or is the 21st Century silver one correct?

Or both?
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: What's the Best P-51?

Post by Panther F » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:13 am

There were so many "best" ones to choose from so it was hard to decide but I liked my choice, the red tailed P-51 D Mustang from the Tuskegee 332nd Fighter Group.

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

OLD CROW SCHEME

Post by supersonicfifi » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:53 am

To Dauntless :after reading bud anderson amazing book "to fly & to fight" and numerous specialized books both paint schemes are "correct" : bbi one (all green & grey) was the factory painted model but at the end of the war the need of recognition (Luftwaffe planes were comoflaged) and the fact that the worn paint was slowing down the special wings of the mustang led to all the units to remove it and wax the planes ! so it's a kind of display before/after !

Of course Bud anderson kept the "OLD CROW " logo during the process so it's really an intersting comparasion between both models !

like : "Bud ANDERSON SAGA" (this guy is a hero !)

Philippe
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:21 am

Wow! thanks Supersonicfifi.

I had no idea that's the way they came from the factory. They must have used paint stripper in the field (nasty stuff)

I'm kinda partial to the camo schemes myself, and the BBI one is the only 1:18 one made aside from the impossible to get 21st Australian p-51's right?.

I did find out that when he got his P-51D Bud Anderson's P-51C "Old Crow" was given to someone else and became the "Berlin Express" which is kind of a cool story.

Ok the BBI "Old Crow" is officially my favorite.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:32 am

I have both as well. But, I am more fond of the 21C versions. (the ones without bent prop blades) I think my favorite is Big Beautiful Doll and the Red Tails version.

I have NEVER cared for the overdone rivets on the Mustang from BBI. I like weathering as much as the next guy and 21C could use a little from time to time but I also HATE the heavy handed treatment that BBI does to them. If a BBI plane was to blown up to 1:1 scale those "weathered" panel lines would be a foot wide at least!

Every Mustang I have seen in real life does not have the many many many rivets that are presented on the BBI plane especially in the wings! The P-51 was a streamlined performance plane not a riveted heavy bomber! LOL

The BBI pilot kicks a!@ though!

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:48 am

I have yet to buy the 21st "Old Crow" so now I know they are both correct, I will be buying that as well.

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:38 am

Dauntless wrote: The discussion of the "Old Crow" P-51's brings up a question I have:

Which is correct, the BBI one with olive drab or the 21st one that is silver?

I thought the only olive ones Bud Anderson flew were the P-51C's. But then again I've seen the restored flying P-51D in the olive drab colors.

Is the BBI one right or wrong simply because we don't have any mass market 1:18 "C's" and BBI made a mistake?
Or is the 21st Century silver one correct?

Or both?
Both Old Crow schemes are correct. They appeared at differant times of the war.
You can check out this scheme and other 357th FG paint schemes here: http://www.cebudanderson.com/357fg.htm click on the link: Profiles of 357th FG mustangs.
I fly cartoon airplanes

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:07 pm

Thanks for the link Killerf6

I get mixed up sometimes with the birdcage and bubble canopies on the B's and C's, but it's where in the US they were manufactured that gives them the designation I guess.

They show Bud's first plane with a bubble, then Berlin Express with the birdcage, and stripped lower surfaces. That doesn't look like Bud's old plane.
Maybe the story is incorrect?

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:16 pm

The bubble top is called a Malcom hood it was a modification that could be carried out in the field of B/C aircraft.
Not all B/C aircraft were modified. Some still carried the birdcage canopy up to the end of there service life. A prime example is Don Gentile's "Shangri La" a P51B with the birdcage canopy all the way to the end of his tour in April 1944.
I fly cartoon airplanes

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:07 pm

Coming in here a little late, but to answer the original question, I like the 21c "Big Beautiful Doll" scheme (on the retooled mould) the best. I had the opportunity to choose the best-looking plane from a stack of 14 at a local Wal Mart last summer, so mine does not have any serious paint flaws and simply looks fantastic!

My second favorite (or even more of a tie) would be the 21c "Old Crow" P-51. I really have to commend 21c for their paint scheme choices for their retooled P-51s. They all look great and all are flashy without being too overdone. Thankfully they did not release droves of 1:18 P-51s in that gaudy "Miss Bonnie" scheme, like what was done with the 32x planes

The BBI P-51 is still a great plane and is sturdier than the 21c version. The over-riveting and inaccurate tail wheel are drawbacks, but anything is better than the S1 21c P-51 :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:35 am

Thanks for all the replies guys. One more question - Do the 21st Century mustangs have the antenna? I noticed on the BBI pics some of you attached there was an antenna and all the 21st Cent. pics = no antenna.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:17 pm

PCOUGHRAN:

I assume you mean antenna WIRE instead of antenna. The BBI P-51s have the antenna wire (I removed the wire from my BBI P-51s, F4U and F6F). The 21st Century P-51 does not have an antenna wire.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:45 am

Dragon53,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I meant the wire. Although, the wire itself is actually the functioning part of the antenna (the part that receives/transmits the signal). The antenna masts are just metal rods that support the wire/antenna. When I was in the military long ago, we built field expedient antennas out of regular commo wire and hung them in trees to get better range. Just wire attached to a radio and suspended - could improve the range over the regular "whip" antennas on field radios by several kilometers.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:06 pm

I think that the "Best P-51" is yet to come.

As soon as 21st or BBI figure out with a little re-tooling (a lot less than a whole new aircraft) of their 1:18 P-51D's, they can make some more money off us guys who would buy some P-51B's and C's. I probably would buy every one, as I like the olive drab paint schemes, and they could do a few stripped to silver ones too.

Nothing against Airstrike Toys, but I can't afford them.

21st already did this with their 32-X and other than maybe the British Sharknose D, most of them are sold out, especially at online retailers.
I still can't find a few of those last D's, like 1:32 Miss Marilyn and Bonnie.

I think the demand is out there for more Mustangs, but maybe too many 1:18 P-51D's have flooded the market, as there are plenty of those still available.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:11 pm

Before I would buy another P-51 it would have to have a really detailed engine bay along with gun lockers...and not some halfhearted attempt to do so.....don't get me wrong I think the bbi me-109 is in the right direction but it's not close in my book...however I do plan on getting one.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!