Embarassed to Buy

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dandaman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Embarassed to Buy

Post by dandaman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:36 am

I finally saw the desert tan FOV Abrams in a local Target.

However, I didn't pick it up because it was too HUGE.

Notice I didn't say it wasn't cool, or well detailed. It was simply too BIG.

I just don't know what else to say.

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:16 am

I get looks like that ALL the time.
You just buy it and if some makes a comment, like "Oh, someone's gonna have a Great Birthday." You say, "Yes, they will." and walk out.

An older man outside of a Walmart once asked me if my planes could fly (my cart overflowing with Grey and White Stukas for 15.00 each). I told him, no these were model planes that didn't fly, but they should!

Don't worry about the looks and comments - you are buying 1/18 scale "toys" and LOVING IT! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:35 am

That should be the least of a worry in purchasing these 1/18th scale items. Just go for it!!!! :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:40 am

i guess you won't be switching to 1/16 scale armour any time soon, then.

:wink:
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:33 pm

I get looks when I buy 32x planes at WM, interesting enough my 2 yr old nephew has quite the collection if my story holds. :wink:
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:17 pm

Well you could've bought a case or two of beer instead for that money you wasted on the tank, and not have anything to show for it but a hangover in the morning.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

olifant

Post by olifant » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:38 pm

Last night while I was pushing a fully loaded cart of PTE to the register at Big Lots one of the employees asked me if they were for me. I sheepishly put my finger to my lips and he explained how he bought them too and loved them.

A fifteen minute conversation ensued where I am pretty sure I ruined both his marriage and bank account pointing him to where to find "the good stuff." Nice to know us geeks are not alone. :wink:
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:16 pm

If you're that concerned about someone saying something especially a bored cashier then slip a box of trojans into the mix, that'll likely curb any comments... :twisted: Or if they are talky when they're done commenting about who the toys are for don't forget to mention the "little friends" are yours too... :P

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:20 pm

The Trojans would be hard to explain to my wife:)

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:35 pm

Just order over the web. They come in "plain brown wrapper" no suspicion there. :wink:
Could not think of anything to put here.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:17 pm

Well back in the day when I used to install ceramic tile. We did a job in a local eatery. They already moved the equipment made of stainless steel in and we did not acid wash the tile after grouting. So this had to be done with the equiptment in place. The fumes from the acid stains stainless steel blue. The way to prevent this is coat it with Vasoleene. So I went to a nearby convienent store to purchase some. My helper came in the store with me. The guy behind the counter was staring at me. When we got in the truck I asked my helper what was that guys problem. Then I realised what I have just purchased.

So I have no problem buying XD after that.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:45 pm

There's only so many birthdays your son or nephew can have, soo...I've been using this line at the same store since I'm in there at least once a week..."Yeah, my buddy lives in Seattle and his Target can't get this stuff in."
Same line for WM and TRU :D

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Panzer_M wrote:I get looks when I buy 32x planes at WM, interesting enough my 2 yr old nephew has quite the collection if my story holds. :wink:
Cashiers ask me all the time if these are for my son or me.. I proudly tell them that they are for me. :D
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:24 pm

I have gotten the occasional odd look with a 1/18 purchase. Who cares. My money, my house, and beats selling drugs to grade-schoolers or beating up old ladies for kicks.
Anyway, any odd look usually disappears when I mention recent ebay prices, and changes to the furtive "as soon as I go on break, I am moving some to the back room" look.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:25 pm

People rarely tend to comment on what I get. Once at Target, however, I was purchasing the 1:18 FOV Bradley and the cashier sort of went crazy over it. It turned out he was a veteran from Iraq and had rode in Bradleys in combat 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Tambo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:31 pm

I'll buy anything...XD, Tampons, bungee cords, Crisco...all in the same basket.

Flak Happy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Flak Happy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:14 pm

Thats why I always ask for a gift receipt. 8)
Good B/S/T References:
STUKA
MG-42
WGP Klaus
wreckchaser
hworth18
Jackson
der Vogelfänger

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:51 pm

I get one cashier at Wal-Mart, always there when I buy my toys, and she gives me odd looks when I walk in because she knows where I'm going. But I always end up with her because she runs the express lane...

At TRU the other day I got a 1:48 Hellcat and she asked me if I wanted a gift receipt, and I said no with a smile, because I go in these places a lot, right to the same place. I'm used to it. I really love to play, it's just I get such wierd looks it's hard to do.

They put new swings in at this playground nearby, and I love to swing (don't ask) and I always have to go at night, lest I be creepy goatee punk rock guy. Though, sometimes, I really don't care.

I guess I don't want to lose that part of me. The part that doesn't want to grow old, the part that goes against the grain while everything else progresses.

I see some people and they've lost it completely. The ones who stick with something that abuses them, that does them harm, because they're afraid of standing out and against it. It's tragedy.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:15 am

I'm pretty much the same way. It's a lot easier to walk up to a register with military toys than say Star Wars.
I explain when asked that these toys are much too fragile for little kids to play with and are made for adults. If they want a little history lesson with the Spitfire I'm buying, I'm very happy to explain it to them in detail.
Something like if the Brits hadn't made this plane we possibly might be speaking German right now. Or did you know that some of Wermacht soldiers were given Meth when they swept over Europe so fast in tanks like this little Panzer I'm buying.
Or did you know that this Me-262 was the first operational jet that flew in WWII, and that if the Germans hadn't run out of gas from us bombing them they might have obliterated our bombers and possibly won the war.

I always give them more info than they need or want. People need to have a little history lesson whether they like it or not.

I am very proud when I know I'm buying a "toy" that has so much background behind it.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:34 pm

Some great stories. I know why all the Big Lots are always empty now. I'm pretty new to this as I got my son some 1:18 stuff for Christmas last year with all the Target discounts going on - just couldn't help myself. Now he and I are both addicted - too bad the Target discounts are long gone. In less than a year, I've ammassed (sp?) about 20 different 1:18 planes/jets and numerous vehicles. I had to get both the Camo and Desert versions of most stuff so we could "battle it out" in the basement. My son just loves to "play war" with all the 1:18 stuff although, I don't let him mess with the big jets and most of the WWII planes he doesn't even know about yet - still new in box hidden away.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:42 pm

I wish there was more 1::18 to buy. It is interesting that some of you feel embarassed to buy items. It's none of their business what we buy.
Now keeping a low profile with the spouse is a wise move. As most of you married folks understand.
T

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:56 pm

Never felt like I was being judged by sales clerks. I think most of them have dealt with Hotwheels collectors and understand the concept of colletible toys. There was one time when this lady and her little boy where in the toy isle and he wanted her to buy him a Hotwheel, She made some kind of comment about him growing out of toys someday. She then glanced at me with my handfull of cars and figures, got red in the face and hurried off.

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:55 pm

:D
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:51 pm

I dont know about you ...but seems like a perfect place and time to try this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt_KfBaRWxs
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.