Help gluing

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Help gluing

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:28 am

I had a "man overboard" incident while dusting (don't say nutin). My quad .50 on a trailer hit the floor and all four barrels snapped off and flew everywhere.

I have finally found all four barrels and am faced with gluing the barrels back on.

Guys with ten thumbs shouldn't mess with glue, nasty things happen. I glue things only as a last resort.

Any new glue products around that you guys like? Of course I have Crazy glue, Gorilla glue, even a hot glue gun and epoxy glues.

The gun barrels present unusual problems because the glued surfaced are so stinkin small. If it was 1/6, I'd drill and insert a pin, but I can't do that with 1/18.

Any suggestions?

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:46 am

Medium CA glue with the kicker will glue them on solid and fast.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:50 am

The easy answer to that is not to dust.
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:07 am

i'd just use krazy glue. Start with the least accessable barrels first. Put a tiny dab on the spot to be glued and hold the barrel at the correct angle for a few seconds til dry. Reinforce the glue joint with another tiny drop of krazy glue. Repeat for all 4 barrels. The next day touch up the shiny ness from the krazy glue with testors dullcote. Wait 24 hours before doing this or it may turn white from reacting with the krazy glue.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:41 am

The guns are made of Polystyrene and so they'd do well to get the treatment from a real plastic welder. If you've got a hobby shop near you TTT, check their plastics rack (any good one has a good plastic shapes/sheets rack) and look for plastic welder. It's thin, has the consistancy of water, but it's very smelly. Plast-struct is my preferred stuff.

One dab of it and like Aferg said, hold the item till it dries (but do not press it too tight together, I'll explain). You have to give it just a slight pressure, as the plastic actually melts and fuses back together. I fixed a quad gun on my M-16 like that and it's good as new. I had to give a dab of flat black to cover some of the original plastic color showing but otherwise, perfect.

I'd advise against krazy/super glues, as while they're strong, they don't actually fuse plastic as much as they simply bond it (like modeling glues do). I've never had much luck with super glues for that reason. They make great gap filler though with baking powder.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

MG40K
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MG40K » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:46 pm

That's exactly what I use to fill gaps, super glue/ baking powder. Very useful. 8)
[img]http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/MG40K/M1A1-Bagdad-RunningOver.jpg[/img]

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:50 pm

JESSE JAMES:

I've posted on another thread ("BBI F6F HEllcat questions?") about what type of glue would be ideal for my BBI F6F Hellcat---I want to glue the wings in the flying/extended position.

How does Plastic Welder compare to Testor'S Cement and CA Gel glue?

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:02 pm

Jessee James:

I'm looking at a product from Tower Hobbies:

Hebco Tenax-7R Plastic Welder - 1 oz bottle $2.99 or a Hebco Tenax-7R Construction Kit with welder, applicator and other stuff for $16.59.

Is this what you were talking about? I've tried Crazy Glue, Super Glue with mixed results and would be glad to try something new.

If it works I'll be in haven with a box of minor breaks that fill a box from my move last year...... My 1/6 stuff got the attention (for the money items) and some of my 1/18 stuff was neglected. 1/6 rode in my car (4 trips) and in the trunk. Sad to say my 1/18 stuff rode in boxes on an open trailer and a truck with boxes of the usual unimportant household stuff, and buried by gorilla movers (relatives, so who do I complain to?...... you get what you pay for, I guess :roll: ).

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.