Opinions wanted on IJ truck

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Opinions wanted on IJ truck

Post by flayrah » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:32 pm

Have been thinking of picking up one of these to use as a general-purpose airfield truck - but I don't want something that will look too toy-like. What are your thoughts on the general scale, appearance, etc of this vehicle? I dont' really care if it's historically correct (I plan on re-painting it to represent a British vehicle anyway), but how does it fit into the XD world?

Also, can someone tell me the dimensions of the cargo area WITH top. Thanks

Threetoughtrucks
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:33 pm

The IJ truck as used in the movie is a mock up. They put a cab mock up on a 1/1 American CCKW duece & a half trying to represent a German truck. I believe the original German truck only had one set of dual tires on the rear. The initial tip off was the shots of the distinctive undercarriage of the GMC CCKW.

That considered, I do like the toy truck. It fits right in there with a row of SdKfz 251's. Looks good.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:57 pm

TTT - thanks, if you say so, I take it as gospel. :)

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:57 pm

Yes, the truck looks excellent. In my opinion - not that it matters much - the truck is one of the most realistic vehicles Hasbro has yet put out. It may not be accurate to any real vehicle, but it looks "German" and since no one else has made a German truck in 1:18th scale... It actually blends in with existing XD products very well. It is a tad more toy-like, but not much. It has about the same level of detail as the 21c WC-63 truck for a comparison with something you might know. There is aparently also another IJ truck coming out in a few weeks that has a real cloth top 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

IJ truck

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:39 am

I have 7 of them and they fit in nicely. Also make good towing vehicles. The new canvas stlye up coming should be interesting also. As said, there is nothing on the market to compare and as our 1/18 hobby is in danger of floundering with the 21st issue, get anything in 1/18 while you can.

warbike
Corporal
Corporal

1:18 IJ German Trucks

Post by warbike » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:07 pm

Hello-
After reading the earlier posts I wanted to share my knowledge of WW II German trucks. They did have dual axles in the back, with two tires on both sides of each one. Please see links for pics of this:
http://www.mac.distribution.cz/files/87060.jpg
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/votw/steyr640.htm
The best link for the real IJ truck:
http://www.autogallery.org.ru/m/mblg63.htm
Earlier models
http://www.autogallery.org.ru/m/mbg3a.htm

Information on the on the German truck used in the IJ movie:
www.imcdb.org/vehicle_772-GMC-CCKW-353.html

Overall I think the IJ truck is done very well and will post pics soon. Also I did some minor mods on the truck. The first thing I did I removed the luggage rack off the top.

-warbike

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:29 pm

My son loves the indy truck. He uses it with his GI Joe figures also. The only real complaint i have about the truck is that the bed isn't deep enough for troops (Indy or otherwise) to sit comfortably on the benches.
I don't have 21st century figures, but my son does have elite force and bravo team WWII figures and they don't sit properly either. Overall, it's a great truck. As others have pointed out no one is going to be making something like this, so for the features, details, and pricing it can't be beat.
We are going to get the cloth one too.
Best,
-Paul