P-51 Prop needed

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

P-51 Prop needed

Post by krieglok » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:22 pm

I have one of the early 21st Century P-51 Mustangs (Louis IV) and after an incident recently, I am in need of a replacement prop. I had fixed the prop once but this time a part of it disappeared and I cannot repair it without at least one whole blade. Any suggestions on where I could get one? I would like to keep it original as possible. Thanks.

TJ

MG-42
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

* P-51 prop fix ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:38 pm

* You could either try contacting 21st.Century Toys , or ,.. if all else fails , try making a mold of an existing blade from the prop itself.

->>>------> Good luck on it TJ *

:p51:

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Flytiger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Flytiger » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:14 pm

You can tell that products built for this market allow for very little post-release feedback into the development chain. In other words, once you build one you're not going to change much until you decide to completely redo the whole thing.

This is the perfect example - the broken prop issue is dealt with through packaging as opposed to what would happen in very large number manufacturing - i.e., easily replaced props.

Another example is the P-47's guns. As designed, the only answer is to sen a customer a whole wing.

See how this makes the whole product chain a really risky business venture?

A $0.05 gun barrel that breaks off because of a quirk in the way the wing was tied down costs the manufacturer/retailer a returned product and/or a whole new wing.

When you only build and sell a few thousand things, it's hard to translate the mistakes back into improvements.

Hence, at least in part, we are seeing the death of the 1/18 market.

What we have in our favor is the future value of what we own. Growing a collection of 1:18 aircraft is now a matter of buying what you might not already own from existing owners.

B24guy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by B24guy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:19 pm

I have a prop from a BBI P-51 you could have. It is a nice looking prop with nice straight blades. Not what you are looking for, but I think it will do.
Darren

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:59 pm

BBI, that would be quite an upgrade. I have a BBI Mustang too and they look similar in construction. I will PM you. Thanks for the help.

TJ