A beautiful and inexpensive 1/16th R/C Tiger

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
20july1944
Corporal
Corporal

A beautiful and inexpensive 1/16th R/C Tiger

Post by 20july1944 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:25 am

I'm sure some of you are aware of this product, but others probably not.

I just received a stunningly beautiful 1/16th R/C Tiger I (with an airsoft gun -- I personally don't care about that) for less that $70 delivered. I'm not shilling for the dealer, but I want to publicize the product because I want demand to soar so that the same company might make a King Tiger and Panther and perhaps even a Mark IV as well.

The toy is a Chinese knock-off of Tamiya's 1/16 Tiger I and it is just beautiful (particularly for the price). The only downside is that the barrel was molded in the recoiled position so it looks too short (I will cut through the barrel and extend it with no difficulty.)

I had just finally bought the 21C Tiger that FarOutToys was clearing out in early January and I frankly regret getting it because for not that much more I got WAY more toy/model.

I think if you put the following into Google you can find it:

MARIU-OEM 1/16 GERMAN TIGER I RC AIRSOFT BATTLE TANK

There is also a yahoo discussion group dedicated to RC tanks that discusses this and other vehicles.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MaruiTankGroup/
Wehrmacht Toys make me smile!

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:24 am

Is this a real Tokyo-Marui or the other Chinese knockoff?
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:44 am

Where did you get it from
Kurt

20july1944
Corporal
Corporal

It is NOT a Marui -- it is a company called Hen Long

Post by 20july1944 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:07 am

The kit itself I think is a shameless copy of the Tamiya 1/16th Tiger (it looks like a scaled-up Tamiya 1/35th Tiger, hence my suspicions, although I don't have Tamiya's 1/16th kit.)

I got mine at a company called Raidentech

http://www.raidentech.com/

This is NOT an advertisement -- I ordered it and got it in a week and it was missing a wheel and they've promised to send it.

Again, I hope that it sells well and that Hen Long makes other favorites like the King Tiger and Panther

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:26 am

I saw sellers selling these on ebay for very decent prices. There is also a Panther and a Sherman, I think. I am curious to know how well these work, as I may decide on one of these over the 21c 1:6 M-5 for cost and size reasons.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:46 am

Definitely post a review once you get a chance to mess around with it.

20july1944
Corporal
Corporal

I don't know about a Sherman, but there is NOT a Panther

Post by 20july1944 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:38 pm

I only do German things so I don't know about a Sherman, but they definitely don't have a panther now.

They have a vehicle that is a Panther turret on the Tiger chassis (I have heard this, have not seen it) but that is of no interest to me.)

The Tiger itself is great -- it does everything it promises although a purist would say it runs too fast for scale -- real serious modellers would want to mess with the electronics or gears but that is too much for me.

normandy

Tiger I

Post by normandy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:27 pm

It seems to be out of stock, dang :!:

Hollywoodkbl
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hollywoodkbl » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:39 pm

This tank is only $58.00, is that right??? That seems really cheap to do all that cool stuff. The plastic must be REALLY thin???
"It's not the years...it's the mileage"

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:14 pm

they look really cool. when i was at the toy fair i saw some 1/24th scale rc tanks. They had 2 kinds 1 used an air soft system witch as ok. The other used an infared system so you could battle other tanks. They were really nice. But where about $100,00 retail. The only models they have out now is the M1a1 and Leopard 2. End of the year they coming out with a tiger 1 and a t34. Forgot who makes em, have the flyers in the car but its to cold and im to lazy to go get them.

patriot68
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by patriot68 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:33 pm

I have two of these. The company is called Hen Long. The quality is not as good as the Tamiya kits but a bargain at $58.00. It is fairly well detailed. The only issues are: the mantlet is mounted upside down and the barrel was cast in the recoiled position. The mantlet can be corrected fairly easily. I bought mine from raidentech.com as well.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:39 pm

buzzard
Corporal
Corporal

Post by buzzard » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:59 pm

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:17 am

They sell those Hen-Long tanks at Academy Sporting Goods in Texas and the Southwest. Neat...for the price.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

You get what you pay for.

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:21 am

Maybe there's a reason why these tigers are so cheap. Have you noticed that very few sellers on Ebay say that their tanks are made by Hen Long? That's because Hen Long is known for crappy products.

It's funny that so many people are comparing these tanks' quality to Tamiya's.

Aside from the upside-down mantlet, there are various ugly mistakes on this model. One glaring mistake is that they shortened the barrel considerably. Maybe this is the reason why most pics of this tank is at an angle. The second is a closed of driver's visor. The third is molded-directly-to-the-tank, underscaled accessories. Headlights that looks like it belongs to a Fisher's Price toy, commander's cupola at the wrong angle.

Not to mention Hen Long tanks are known for breakage.

Like I said, you get what you pay for. That shortened barrel really bugged me. :evil:

20july1944
Corporal
Corporal

Someone please post pictures Hen Long, Tamiya, 21C Tigers

Post by 20july1944 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:38 am

Thanks to T-man for posting the e-bay pictures of the Tiger and "Panther".

As you can see, the "Panther" is just dreadful -- Tiger running gear with a mis-sized Panther-ish upper deck and turret.

However, I maintain the Tiger is very nice -- certainly at least as good as a 21C product (I have them both side by side but I don't know how to post pictures) plus it does indeed drive and turn and elevate and shoot.

I would urge someone who has a digital camera and either the Hen Long or the Hen Long and a 21C Tiger to post comparison pictures.

Likewise someone who has 1/16th Hen Long and Tamiya Tigers to post comparison pictures.

The permanently-recoiled barrel is bad, but with a dremel tool and the right diameter insert, it could be extented easily. The shooting barrel is metal and inside the plastic barrel, so it is reasonable to hope that extending the barrel won't mess up the airsoft gun (if you actually CARE about the airsoft gun anyway.)

The reversed mantlet can also be corrected, but it requires taking the thing apart (which I'm loathe to do because of the electronics inside.)