BBi Little bird questions

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
forcerecon85
Corporal
Corporal

BBi Little bird questions

Post by forcerecon85 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:34 pm

Hey, Sadly up in Canada we don't get any 21c or BBi gear, so I haven't seen the BBi little birds upclose. I've only seen the same pic from the BBi website and I'm just curious if it comes with any other weapons? It seems the nightstalker bird just has its benches and the 2 recon versions i've seen have 2 round TOW launchers or rocket pods?

I've been out of the hobby for a while but I'd want to pick one up before there too far gone for ebay. Thanks for any help.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:05 pm

The AH-6 attack version comes with the TOW missile pods, but also the rocket pods that mount to a boom that extends through the fuselage. This boom should also hold the miniguns, but these were not included on the BBI AH-6. To mount the boom, the rear compartment doors can be removed. A sensor pod is also mounted on the front windscreen and on the underside of the fuselage.

The Nightstalker version comes with the benches and the two TOW missile pods. The benches fold or can be completely removed. The fuselage is a slightly different sculpt than the AH-6. No doors are included and neither are the two sensor pods. The antennas are also different. Cockpit and interior detail are largely the same for both helicopters.

Hope this helps :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Phaid
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Phaid » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:12 pm

The Night Stalker version is a pretty accurate model of an MH-6J Little Bird. The TOW pods that are included are nonsense, MH-6s don't have the electronics to support those missiles, but they are totally optional and the helicopter is otherwise pretty accurate.

The earlier "attack" versions of the Little Bird that BBI put out is not really an AH-6 at all, it is a model of a MD-500 Defender. The MD-500 is from the same family of helicopters as the AH-6 and MH-6, but the U.S. Army has never operated that particular version.

A real AH-6 would have the same basic sculpt as the MH-6, but would not have the benches and would instead have the boom through the fuselage with two rocket pods and two miniguns.

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:01 pm

MH-6 also came packed with the roping system and had a 1:18 stinger and rocket launcher as an accessory for figures. The bench on this bird is very nice -- reminds of Joint Operations.

I really hate the overall "flimsiness" of this chopper so I sold it off. Wish it was nice and thick like 21st's choppers.

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:30 pm

Just to be basic, as you don't want me to get into the inaccuracies of the whirly bird. The 2 first version of the Little Bird (black and green) have TOW launchers and rocket pods. They Night Stalker version has the TOW launchers and also 2 Stingers rocket launchers (for figures). It's a really good looking helio overall, and the only one other than the more toyish PTE version. PTE has the miniguns and rocket pod, so if you wanted something different you could always use the miniguns for the bbi one. I think the PTE rocket pods are on the large side, and don't really look that good. If I were going to change the rocket pods, I would use the ones from teh 21st Century Huey. They look better, but again are not accurate for the Little Bird. I hope that helps.
momaw nadon

forcerecon85
Corporal
Corporal

Post by forcerecon85 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Thanks for the help. I'd like an accurate version with the rockets and miniguns. I've been out of the loop for a bit, what is PTE? I'll check it out. Thanks.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:18 pm

PTE stands for Power Team Elite. It is a sort of knock-off brand of 1:18th military figures, vehicles and accessories. The items can be bought at Big Lots stores for cheap and are great for the customizers. The figures have great articulation, but overall lousy sculpting. A lot of the vehicles, particularly the Hummers, are really quite good. Other vehicles are underscaled and a bit toyish. There are some very nice building pieces, including a watch-tower, a wooden bridge, and a large building. The accessories for the figures are also great and PTE makes alot of stuff that the other 1:18 manufacturers won't produce, including camels and horses :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

forcerecon85
Corporal
Corporal

Post by forcerecon85 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:19 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:PTE stands for Power Team Elite. It is a sort of knock-off brand of 1:18th military figures, vehicles and accessories. The items can be bought at Big Lots stores for cheap and are great for the customizers. The figures have great articulation, but overall lousy sculpting. A lot of the vehicles, particularly the Hummers, are really quite good. Other vehicles are underscaled and a bit toyish. There are some very nice building pieces, including a watch-tower, a wooden bridge, and a large building. The accessories for the figures are also great and PTE makes alot of stuff that the other 1:18 manufacturers won't produce, including camels and horses :wink:
Hey, I picked up a PTE little bird. I was hoping to convert it to an OH-6 Loach but the tail is different (angled tail fins instead of little bird "T" tail). Anyone know anything that has that tail in 1:18 scale? haha I know odds are slim but I should still try to ask. Maybe I'll be left to take tight pics without the tail in camera view. Thanks.