Recommendation on 1/16 rc tank

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Recommendation on 1/16 rc tank

Post by kimtheredxd » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:08 pm

After getting a 1/16th scale hen long Pershing*all be it was destroyed* the other day. I am now interested in buying a 1/16th scale R.C tank.
Any recommendations on which one to get and the place for the best prices? Want to stick with WW 2 if possible but the Pershing does look nice. Thanks :D
Could not think of anything to put here.

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:33 pm

Want to stick with WW 2 if possible but the Pershing does look nice.
I once thought about getting one of the airsoft "Snow Leopard" Pershing tanks, I don't have any personal experience with these, but they do look pretty cool. Think these are made by Hen Long. BTW, the Pershing did see limited action in WWII.

Snow Leopard: http://www.wonderhobby.com/snlem26peair.html
Last edited by ostketten on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:36 pm

How was it destroyed????
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:47 pm

Outta curiosity with those with them, how would you say they'd display together with a 1:18 tank? Aferg's probably my best bet on comparisons here... I'm curious if they'd look awkwardly out of place together or what.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

uksubs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Recommendation on 1/16 rc tank

Post by uksubs » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:38 am

kimtheredxd wrote:After getting a 1/16th scale hen long Pershing*all be it was destroyed* the other day. I am now interested in buying a 1/16th scale R.C tank.
Any recommendations on which one to get and the place for the best prices? Want to stick with WW 2 if possible but the Pershing does look nice. Thanks :D
I got a Hen long 1/16 Rc Tiger for £6.00 of ebay :D
Great fun :wink:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:50 am

Jesse......1/16 discussion here, should answer all your questions:

viewtopic.php?t=11685
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:47 am

One thing I'd recommend. If you care about the remote control aspects of these tanks, I'd recommend the Smoke and Sound versions. They're about 7-10 dollars more expensive than the regular version, but it comes with metal gears, plus better capabilities.

For example, the regular tanks only has 2 speeds. Fast and very fast. The SS versions has 10-speed.

But if you just want a static model, you can't go wrong with either. Once you've seen and felt a model tank with individual track links and working suspensions....you'll never go back to rubber tracks again. :)

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:43 am

VMF115 they just put the tank in a box with some packing peanuts in a too large a box the thing is destroyed for the most part
Gun barrel is shattered into many pieces found them in the box upper deck is separated from lower deck ,fenders cracked, gun mantel broken in two misc detail parts broken off and found in the box. only thing in the box was the tank and remote no antenna nor batteries dang what a mess.

uksubs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by uksubs » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:50 am

GooglyDoogly wrote:One thing I'd recommend. If you care about the remote control aspects of these tanks, I'd recommend the Smoke and Sound versions. They're about 7-10 dollars more expensive than the regular version, but it comes with metal gears, plus better capabilities.

For example, the regular tanks only has 2 speeds. Fast and very fast. The SS versions has 10-speed.

But if you just want a static model, you can't go wrong with either. Once you've seen and felt a model tank with individual track links and working suspensions....you'll never go back to rubber tracks again. :)
There a big difference in price between a smoke & sound tank & the stranded one in the Uk
I think it £40.00 just for metal tracks :cry:

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:33 am

There are tons of the 1/16 Heng Long on ebay. No Russian tanks from them but Trumpeter, as you probably know, has a nice one. Heng Longs average around $70 (inclusdes shipping) on ebay with dealers who don't sell on ebay wanting as much as $200 (does not include shipping) for the exact same tank. Trumpeters avarage around $140 on ebay. Don't know about the Trumpeters but on the Heng Longs, only the turret hatches open. But since they have all of the RC innards, there is no interior and a figure has to have the legs taken off. Stay away from Heng Longs Panther! Pure junk! There are all kinds of accessories for the 1/16 tanks, but they are pretty pricey for metal treads, metal barrels, etc.

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by smittyrob64 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:58 am

For $139 you can get an HL Smoke and Sound Tiger 1 which is a pretty acurate model from Mato Toys. This comes with metal gearboxes AND metal tracks and drive sprockets. It has more realistic speeds and movement (if you care about the RC part).

And yes stay away from the Panther, it is garbage (for accuracy)

http://www.matotoys.com/canada/index.php?cPath=1

Zartan
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zartan » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:50 pm

I bought the tiger 1 and pershing from Mato Toys a few years back. They are excellent for accuracy except for the main guns. The are a bit too short. I beat the hell out of the tiger and it kept going, rolled it down some concrete stairs. Mato Toys has great service too, sent some extra tracks and parts after the fact. I have since sold the Hen longs. A guy is selling a few 1/16 Tamiya kits locally. Has the older Sherman 105 with remote and battery for $175. Might go take a look at it.

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by smittyrob64 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:26 am

I think I bought a Tamiya Tiger from that same guy. He also had a Sherman and a KT for sale, had them for sale on craigslist.

I swapped the spare metal barrel from the Tamiya and used it on the HL Tiger, works perfectly.

Panzer
Corporal
Corporal

Panzer III

Post by Panzer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:55 am

I got the gray HL Panzer III with metal upgrades. I think the tank looks really good, and you can repaint it in other schemes or get the new Afrika Korp version.

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:31 pm

OK I have pretty much decided on the"snow leopard" and the link that ostketten provided seems to have good prices. But I am going to upgrade to the next level with smoke and sound etc.
But the description says "Snow Leopard M26 1/16th Scale RC Air Soft Tanks NOW WITH SOUND AND SMOKE AND "PED-RAIL" what the heck is ped rail? Tried to Google it but I am still confused. To my way off thinking it means the road wheels go up and down like a real tank? or am I sooooo wrong :roll:

Zartan
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Zartan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:56 pm

The smoke is waste of time as far as I'm concerned. I had the smoke pershing and I think one of the smoke motors burn't out right away as I didn't get enough oil in it, make sure you don't run them dry. Sound effects are ok. As for Ped-Rail....No idea .

Smittyrob, yeah, thats the same guy. Pretty good price on the Tiger, I remember when I walked into Burnaby Hobbies and they were Asking $1000 CDN for it about three years ago. The guy said he had a few kits left and I've mailed him to find out what he's got left. A buddy of mine picked up the older 1980 Tamiya Leopard complete with radio for $20 at a yard sale.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:32 am

Here's a few video of Hen Long's Pershing.
(You may want to turn down the volume, or the Chinglish will hurt your brain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v94N8TlfSqw

Here's a user video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cs06kLt ... re=related

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:40 pm

Ordered the Pershing from wonderhobby at the link above but went to the smoke and sound version as it has more speeds etc and is worth the five more bucks I am told.
For any one wanting to order from wonderhobby here is two codes to take some money off. CJWONDER10 is ten percent off order or CJWONDERSHIP for free ground shipping Codes can not be combined and apply to orders over $50.00. Thanks for all the help will post a review when I get the tank.
Last edited by kimtheredxd on Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khatean
Corporal
Corporal

Post by khatean » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:15 am

Save yourself some future headaches and go with the all metal upgraded to the Hen Long. I think Mato has the best deal with their packaged metal upgraded tanks. The Tiger 1 I got my son for Christmas runs great. I'm looking to upgrade the electronics in the near future from this site
http://www.rctankwars.com/. Once you start upgrading, that $60 ebay purchase will be minor in comparison.