Thought I had struck gold on the King Tiger!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Thought I had struck gold on the King Tiger!

Post by hotrodrock » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:38 pm

Got my new catalog from Historic Aviation today. There it was on page 35. The new 1/18 21st King Tiger for $34.95. So I got online to order a dozen or so of them knowing full well something wasn't quite right. But I figure that if it accepts my order, I might can badger them into honoring their price. But, it won't accept the product number. So I call them and its a misprint (as if I didn't know). $99.95 is the correct price says she. She did say it was 2 to 3 weeks away from shipping.

Anyone who hasn't shopped Historic Avaiation should give them a look. They have everything in every scale. From overpriced to cheaper than ebay. Don't know what anyone else is charging for the new Stuka. Theirs is $59.95.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:56 pm

LOL that's hilarious. XD

So I guess this a slight confirmation that the KT will be around $100 or so.

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:18 pm

Both the new King Tiger and the 88mm Flak (in 1:18 scale) will be at higher prices than consumer is previously accustomed to. The reason is that neither of these products will have major retail support, thus the smaller production numbers mean less units to amortize tooling/development costs over.

This will be the hobby's chance to demonstrate whether and if it can support 1:18 scale items on a specialty basis.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by digger » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:37 pm

coreystinson wrote:This will be the hobby's chance to demonstrate whether and if it can support 1:18 scale items on a specialty basis.
Agreed.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:37 pm

$100??? Well that prices me right out of getting one..... :evil:

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

V2 MAN
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by V2 MAN » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:06 pm

Man i was getting all excited there for a moment :wink: Also i got on their website and saw the new 1/18 stuka. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a pre order or if it is already out?
[url=http://ubanimator.com][img4e]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5694/userbar650558jb9.gif[/img4e][/url]

GOOD TRADE CONTACTS:
Coreyeagle48
migmadmavis
The one and only RAZOR17019
Rowsdower
Grunt1
Holensock
Blasto
tambo

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Teamski wrote:$100??? Well that prices me right out of getting one..... :evil:

-Ski
You XD guys need to face reality that the days of cheap XD are over.. :wink:
Come to 1/32.. Cheaper price and all you could ever want!! :D
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:36 pm

hworth18 wrote:
Teamski wrote:$100??? Well that prices me right out of getting one..... :evil:

-Ski
You XD guys need to face reality that the days of cheap XD are over.. :wink:
Come to 1/32.. Cheaper price and all you could ever want!! :D
Heresy ! ! ! :wink:

phil

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:51 pm

If 21st really thinks they can make a profit at those prices, they must have inhaled a little too much glue.

Clearly not gonna happen. Even the "die-hard" XD collectors on this board say they will be cutting down on the number of units they'll be buying at one hundred bucks a piece. Guess what will happen with the average Joe in the middle of a recession?

Rogo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rogo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:05 pm

Wow, that is quite a price jump over what we are accustomed to in XD armor. Like many of you, I was certainly awaiting the KT arrival. At that price though, I'll have to pass. :(

Rogo

olifant

Post by olifant » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:06 pm

Careful guys...this is the wave of the future unless somehow big box stores can be persuaded to sell these 1/18 pieces. If we don't buy them, they won't be built.

Now don't get me wrong, I am feeling the pinch and won't be buying multiple pieces of these either. :roll:
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:12 pm

olifant wrote:Careful guys...this is the wave of the future unless somehow big box stores can be persuaded to sell these 1/18 pieces. If we don't buy them, they won't be built.

Now don't get me wrong, I am feeling the pinch and won't be buying multiple pieces of these either. :roll:
Olifant is right.
I am not rich either, and I do not like the higher prices, but I will try to get a few to show solidarity. I just hope you armor guys will do the same for us Aircraft nuts.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:40 pm

Yeah, better get them now, or else paying 10x on Ebay for it in the future.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:48 pm

i'm surprised the 88 won't be at TRU as it really isn't very big...for that matter the KT isnt as big as the 1/18 airplanes that TRU is currently carrying....so why wouldn't they carry the KT and 88?

If the quality levels are about the same as before but the prices is $100 that could spell the end of XD. It was originally marketed at reasonable price points and those people that have been collecting it were brought in with that expectation. The diehards won't be able to buy enough to move sufficient units. The fringe collectors will balk.

AT has been able to sell 1/18 aircraft at very reasonable prices without major retail support......why can't 21c?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:09 pm

it is more to due with political correctness TRU got in a little bit of heat from mom who did not want to see german stuff... a while aback...

so i let my tru major know what i want so the na sayer who never buy stuff anyway will not block my purchase..
whats up doc....

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Anyone who hasn't shopped Historic Avaiation should give them a look. They have everything in every scale. From overpriced to cheaper than ebay
I get their catalogs in the mail every now and then, lots of fun to look through, but you are right about their prices which tend to run the gamut from high to low. I have a feeling the KT will be available at some of the better known e-tailers for somewhat less than $99 so I'll hold out awhile before ordering one. Oh yeah... while we're on the subject of higher prices... a large percentage of goods sold in this country move by truck and/or rail, and with fuel prices going up, up, up...we are bound to see this eventually reflected in steeper prices for ALL the stuff we collect. :(
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:25 pm

I will buy the new pieces but I going to have to mow a few yards. :wink:

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:42 pm

20% is not the same thing as 40%
whats up doc....

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:41 pm

Gonna have to bite the bullit on the KT if it's gonna be added to my collection although at $100 a unit, I don't think it's going to be a big time winner no matter what it looks like. I was planning to get at least 2 of them, but now it looks like I will only get one.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:44 pm

...and to think it doesn't have an interior :?

The lone XD winter Tiger I still sitting on the shelf at my local Hobbytown USA store for $60 is a much better deal :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:49 pm

Looks like I wont be getting them now!!!! :shock: :evil:

wake up 21st

what a waste of their time and money -
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:21 pm

I'll be honest... I'm disappointed and there's a strong chance I'll just abandon armor/artillery as well as airplanes. It's not my fault that things didn't do well at retail, so I feel this is almost some kind of punishment because of poor distribution and crappy decisions/partnerships with Wal-Mart to shell the same planes out to umpteen Wal-Marts and have WM decide to drop the big ticket stuff.

Would've liked to see things pan out, but at $100 a pop (not worth one cent on the 88 by the way, not IMO), that's just too much moolah these days... That's 4 tanks of gas in my car... Well, that was 4 tanks of gas in my car a couple weeks ago anyway.

Yeah... Not worth it to me. Star Wars is putting out a $100 toy with lights, sounds, interior, and it's 2 ft. long and 1 ft. wide... I think my moolah's better spent there then.

Loves my XD, and I'm all about figures... They're losing me as a customer on even the ground pieces now though. I hate to say it but I had fears of things like this coming after the last mass batches of aircraft were getting clearanced. I didn't expect HUGE price increases, but rather I expected just no product to get produced.

88's 100% out at that price though... $100's not worth it for what basically ammounts to a nice set piece. $100 for the King Tiger puts me 80% out, maybe 90%... Just more money than I feel it justifies. Once I'm up in that price range I think I'd rather put more into it and buy a nice RC tank or something that feels more "worth" the pain at the wallet.

I'm down to figures now... Once those decide to go up real high, I'm abandoning them as well.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

cost factor

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:05 pm

Based on plastic models from other brands, I still regard 21st 1/18 reasonably priced and good value given the XD factor. These latest items of the KT & 88 could be seen as premium pieces in the stable of 1/18 and as such as a collector, are must haves. I can feel for those who are strapped for this type of cash and have to justify the value involved. It is a pity as I keep pointing out, that 21st does not have more 1/18 in the pipeline in the way of armor and at lower cost values to keep everyone happy and interested, with the occassional premium piece to spice up the range for those that are lucky enough to afford them. For selfish reasons I hope as many of you as can will purchase these, which will encourage 21st to continue the line. Looking at their 1/32 line, they have hardly scratched the surface on what could be duplicated in 1/18.