New P-51D Old Crow

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dcmacharlie
Corporal
Corporal

New P-51D Old Crow

Post by dcmacharlie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:14 pm

Hi all! just got the P-51D the Old Crow and started to put it together and after putting on the wing I pulled down the right strut no problem then when i tried to extend the left strut it will not come down far enough to support the wing when the aircraft is setting down, that is as far as the strut will go and I pulled it real hard, as you see from the picture it is not down, as they say in flight emergency gear will not extend to the down and lock position and I have a cockpit light showing gear not down and locked can anyone help!! Carlos p.s. I sent a email to 21st century asking for a new wing lets see what kind of response I get. Image

MG40K
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MG40K » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:17 pm

did you try using some 3 in one oil?
[img]http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/MG40K/M1A1-Bagdad-RunningOver.jpg[/img]

dcmacharlie
Corporal
Corporal

P-51

Post by dcmacharlie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:26 pm

Thank you for responding!! ill try that as we write, lets see what happens ill let you know in a minute carlos :o

MG40K
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MG40K » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:41 pm

No problem :!:
[img]http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/MG40K/M1A1-Bagdad-RunningOver.jpg[/img]

dcmacharlie
Corporal
Corporal

P-51

Post by dcmacharlie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:46 pm

Well tried the oil and its not that, nice and oiled up now , it looks like the hole where the strut mounts was not cleaned out good to clear the strut as it comes to the down position my best guess is you have to remove the strut to clean it out and then put it back, (hook up hydraulics’ and get a good sheet metal man to do some trimming) then remount the strut and see how she fits. :? Carlos

dcmacharlie
Corporal
Corporal

P-51D

Post by dcmacharlie » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:02 pm

Well if I do not hear from 21st century ( and I doubt I will) my plan is to take the plane apart and put it back into the box go to Toys RUs and with my receipt give it back and get another one the problem I have is this one came from Utah and the Toys Rus here in Vegas does not have any P-51s to trade so im kind of screwed my only hope is they will have something to trade that I do not have, Ill write something sat after I go to the store, Carlos :( :blueangel:

Yankee John
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Yankee John » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:25 pm

I had the same problem with the landing gear on my Old Crow and Big Beautiful Doll P-51's.

If you have some modelling skills, 30 seconds per gear with an Exacto knife, trimming just a bit off the wing skin (Just a little at a time) where they contact, will fix it quickly and easily. You DO NOT have to remove the strut- just close the gear about half-way, then trim. This fix is invisable if done correctly.

If there is one thing that bugs me about the new tooling Mustangs, It is that! My Flying Undertaker didn't have that problem. Very simple fix, though.

John

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:57 pm

Yankee John wrote:I had the same problem with the landing gear on my Old Crow and Big Beautiful Doll P-51's.

If you have some modelling skills, 30 seconds per gear with an Exacto knife, trimming just a bit off the wing skin (Just a hair- a little at a time) where they contact, will fix it quickly and easily. You DO NOT have to remove the strut- just close the gear about half-way, then trim.

If there is one thing that bugs me about the new tooling Mustangs, It is that! My Flying Undertaker didn't have that problem. Very simple fix, though.

John
Funny, I had the same problem with the BBD, but went the opposite route with the X-acto knife--i.e I cut away the excess resin along the strut well edges carefully (better safe than sorry).

Yankee John
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Yankee John » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:06 am

I think we are talking about the same thing; What I called the wing skin was actually the edge of the strut opening.

Great minds think alike!

John

dcmacharlie
Corporal
Corporal

P-51

Post by dcmacharlie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:12 pm

Thanks to all of you that gave me information and corrective action, ill give the trim a try when i get home from work, a little at a time, i also own the undertaker and as you say i do not have that problem with that model, I also own the P-51 Donald Duck, i like the gear on the Undertaker and Crow much better, looks more realalistic to me for some reason, ill let you know how it comes out (off) by the way when you attach the wings do you glue them along with the 2 little screw that you put in, those little cross point screws just do not seem to hold that good!!! Carlos :) :blueangel:

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: P-51

Post by King O' Fools » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:42 pm

dcmacharlie wrote:Thanks to all of you that gave me information and corrective action, ill give the trim a try when i get home from work, a little at a time, i also own the undertaker and as you say i do not have that problem with that model, I also own the P-51 Donald Duck, i like the gear on the Undertaker and Crow much better, looks more realalistic to me for some reason, ill let you know how it comes out (off) by the way when you attach the wings do you glue them along with the 2 little screw that you put in, those little cross point screws just do not seem to hold that good!!! Carlos :) :blueangel:
I didn't have to put any glue on mine (BBD), but had to screw them real tight.

dcmacharlie
Corporal
Corporal

P-51D

Post by dcmacharlie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi all i love it when things work out as planned, the trim worked great and here are pictures of the bird with the fixed landing gear, thank you all who sent me sugestions and i used them all and as a result the plane was saved from certain death at ToysRUs keep up the good work and lets see the F-4 in 1:18 befor the end of time Carlos

dcmacharlie
Corporal
Corporal

P-51D

Post by dcmacharlie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:19 pm

Hi all i love it when things work out as planned, the trim worked great and here are pictures of the bird with the fixed landing gear, thank you all who sent me sugestions and i used them all and as a result the plane was saved from certain death at ToysRUs keep up the good work and lets see the F-4 in 1:18 befor the end of time Carlos