21st. Can we get some battle worn troops?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
STUKA
Officer - Brigadier General

21st. Can we get some battle worn troops?

Post by STUKA » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:41 pm

All they would be is a possible repaint. And I don't mean the sun burned face - but how about some tattered clothes, worn boots, bloodied uniforms etc.
We have great examples of parade uniforms - if i do any customizing it will be with what we having and given them a look of a few days of front line combat.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

HIDEOUS ONE
Corporal
Corporal

battle worn

Post by HIDEOUS ONE » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:30 am

Weathering on any figure is pretty easy to achieve. I too have been hoping for flat non-glossy figs. I have had to go back and dry brush all of my figures (some 200 plus) just to make them look believable for the movie. It is really lame to see the light reflect off of their clothes in the camera. I like 21st figures the best but the gloss has to go

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:44 pm

I'm surprised we hven't yet gotten some fairly simple repainting/re-accessorizing of figures...

No sharpshooter in the line ever, no medic either... Only BBI tackled that, but you'd think 21st could do a medic and sharpshooter fairly easily for either side right now.

The .30 cal guy shown at Toy Fair's a step forward though towards the other people any unit may have. I'd like to see a German MG team as well, perhaps both will have ammo belts too like the VN Machine Gunner has... Some snipers/sharpshooters would be nice, some medics, maybe get back to a flamethrower at some point... A mortar team for either side would be outstanding too.

21st could really milk the sculpts they have, especially if they took the Germans to a generic body where the ammo pouches are removable. They really could milk things a bit longer. Give some new hair colors, some 5 o'clock shadow here and there... They don't really maximize their utility with all these molds IMO.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

Forward Observer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Forward Observer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:44 pm

Actually, I'd be happy if they just made the damn figures to scale instead of the 6 foot 4 inch "Hulk Hogans" that they put out.

Hardly any of them fit in the vehicles correctly. The Germans tend to be even larger than the G.I.'s, but they are all just too damn big for 1/18th.

Sorry to rant, but I am customizing a Panzer IV right now and I can't use the figures I want because it just looks stupid to me to have a tank commander who's shoulders are about 6 or 7 scale inches wider than the turret hatch.

Luckily, I have a couple of the early under size figures that they put out before they put all the figures on steroids.

Cheers
Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl

holensock
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by holensock » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:22 am

Forward Observer wrote:Actually, I'd be happy if they just made the damn figures to scale instead of the 6 foot 4 inch "Hulk Hogans" that they put out.

Hardly any of them fit in the vehicles correctly. The Germans tend to be even larger than the G.I.'s, but they are all just too damn big for 1/18th.

Sorry to rant, but I am customizing a Panzer IV right now and I can't use the figures I want because it just looks stupid to me to have a tank commander who's shoulders are about 6 or 7 scale inches wider than the turret hatch.

Luckily, I have a couple of the early under size figures that they put out before they put all the figures on steroids.

Cheers
THANK YOU!
I am NOT alone! I've been CRYING about this for a L-O-O-O-O-N-G time here and have been told...
...that if 21C made the figures to fit in the vehicles, the figures wouldn't be 1:18 scale...AND...if 21C made the vehicles to fit the figures, the vehicles wouldn't be 1:18 scale.... :?: :? :?:

Forward Observer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Forward Observer » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:56 am

The first figures that came out with the Bf109 and P51 at less than 3.5 inches were definitely undersized, but they over corrected and went to
4 or 4.2 inches on all the rest which makes everybody 6 ft to 6 ft 3inch
tall---and I'm not talking lanky 6 footers, but broad shouldered beefy 6 footers with ginormous heads.

This simply was not the norm for the human race in the 1940's and if anything the corn fed G.I.'s would have tended to have been larger overall than the leaner Germans of the period. (Herman Goring doesn't count)

Before the market got flooded with repros and fakes plus inflated prices, I collected militaria including WW II uniforms and helmets, and I can tell you that original tunics with a chest size larger than 38 R, or hats and helmets larger than a size 55 or 57 (6 7/8 to 7 1/8 ) were and still are rare things.

On a side note, it always seems a bit comical to me when I see pictures of fat WW II or US Civil War re-enactors---guys who are so obsessive about the correctness the uniform that they cover their very incorrect over fed, over weight bodies with. I have yet to ever see a picture of an original fat WW II or Civil War field soldier.

Rant over!

Cheers
Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl