Is the BBI F-18 Hornet worth the money?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Hollywoodkbl
Sergeant
Sergeant

Is the BBI F-18 Hornet worth the money?

Post by Hollywoodkbl » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:23 pm

Maybe it's been discussed already, but I missed it since I'm new here. Just wondering of those of you who has it, is it worth the $88.00. Also, is the F-16 better. I thought about getting the F-18.
"It's not the years...it's the mileage"

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:23 pm

The F-18, from what I hear, is well worth it! The F-16, from those who've compared them, has many finer details and the wings and landing gear are sturdier. I have the F-16 (but not the F-18 ) and it is one of my best planes.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:32 pm

Well well well worth it. I have two ( the Blue Angel and a F-18 ) At some point I'll get the other F-18 that's out.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:54 pm

It is worth every friggin' penny! Both the F-18 and F-16 are incredible planes. You will not go wrong with either one! I have both and they never cease to amaze.....

Awesome dusk shots there, Britt! Beautiful.............

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:05 pm

Those are some pretty cool shots. I've always been tempted to delve into the modern jets but I made a commitment to limit my acquistions to WW2 stuff. However, the more jets I see the tempation justs keep getting stronger.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:25 pm

Get both jets, they are worth it. The detail is very good and I never get tired of looking at them.
Todd

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:26 pm

Great shots! You make me really, really want to get that plane, despite the unfortunant fact that I have nowhere to display it and must somehow make room for the Avenger, ME-262, F-86 and Mig-15. Still...

Rogue
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Rogue » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:35 am

I have the Hill AFB F-16 in my office, and it is quite impressive. (Well worth the $)
I'm not into modern jets but do quite a bit of work for the current squadrons. (including Hill AFB)
I thought it appropriate, to add them to my collection.
Now for the Blue's F-18.

Gunner
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Gunner » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:14 pm

I have all three (F-16, F-18 and Blue Angels F-18).

They all ROCK!!!

Well worth the money!

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

F/A-18 worth the money? Hell Yeah it is.

Post by MiG29K » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:59 pm

Well out of the box, the F-16 has better detail but that has now changed since I did some work up on the Hornet. The list of changes made:

1. Those turbine blades in the engine nozzle were dremmeled out. They were ridiculous.
2. The landing gear doors were updated and corrected as best as possible

3. The Chaff dispensers were ported out. Gun port also ported out.

4. Angle of Attack sensors and Pitot tubes added.

5. UHF/TACAN antennaes added to the dorsal spine

6. The tail section (elevator) now works. The Vertical stabilizers are now functional.

7. A set of Carrier Deck Crew members have been made: 2 LSO/Safety Officers, 2 Catapult/Arresting Gear Crew, 1 Ordnanceman, 2 Taxi Directors. (Fuel and Plane Captains will eventually be made)

8. Sidewinder Missile Rails were cleaned out and given rails. The missiles came molded onto the rails and that had to go. The sidewinder missiles are now detachable.

Pictures of the changes: http://photobucket.com/albums/e22/HORNET_2006/

But yeah, I wrote those fools at BlueBox Toys International and said that they need to get movin' to the drawingboard for a MiG-29 and I even suggested that the Top Intake Louvres and FOD doors be functional. What would be even better is if they made aftermarket "Weapons Sets" with Laser Guided Bombs, JDAMs, and other goodies the Hornet and Viper can handle...

But yeah...if you're debating on gettin' one...make like a baskeball shoe and JUST DO IT.
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Pics of FA-18 Upgrade

Post by MiG29K » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:29 pm

Image[/img]

Sgt. Fury
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sgt. Fury » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:59 pm

Quick note.
F-18 - I've posted this before but to get that awkward angle straight on the rear landing gear wheels of the F-18, turn model upside down, loop a length of black heavy duty thread around the inside axle of the wheel and wrap till the wheel tightens on the axle. Loop knot it and cut leaving about a 1/2" excess thread. Light end of thread with match or modeling torch and let burn to axle (model should be upside down - flame and heat rise!). Extinquish appropriately. In the summer months in unconditioned areas or when AC is off, prop jet on a "shot" glass so that wheels are suspended and not supporting weight of model. Folding wings up will also help prevent heat related droop.
F-16 - To help prevent rear wheel spread on the F-16, use a white vinyl-clad paper clip. Pinch landing gear together and bend paper clip into a shape so that you can insert into the spaces just above the wheels and struts creating a bridge between the two. close clip on both sides and adjust to taste.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:27 pm

Sgt. Fury wrote:Quick note.
F-18 - I've posted this before but to get that awkward angle straight on the rear landing gear wheels of the F-18, turn model upside down, loop a length of black heavy duty thread around the inside axle of the wheel and wrap till the wheel tightens on the axle. Loop knot it and cut leaving about a 1/2" excess thread. Light end of thread with match or modeling torch and let burn to axle (model should be upside down - flame and heat rise!). Extinquish appropriately. In the summer months in unconditioned areas or when AC is off, prop jet on a "shot" glass so that wheels are suspended and not supporting weight of model. Folding wings up will also help prevent heat related droop.
F-16 - To help prevent rear wheel spread on the F-16, use a white vinyl-clad paper clip. Pinch landing gear together and bend paper clip into a shape so that you can insert into the spaces just above the wheels and struts creating a bridge between the two. close clip on both sides and adjust to taste.
I always support the fuselage on the F-18. However, I think that if you DON'T fold the wings, you prevent them from sagging. I folded the right wing on mine and it immediately drooped. I left the left wing alone and it is fine......
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Landing Issue...

Post by MiG29K » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:31 pm

On the issue of landing gear, I addressed that problem with boiling water. The plastic on the landing gear appears to be a Vinyl...pretty much like star wars figures and whatnot. I took a small pot of boiling water, filled to the brim (Use Caution and oven mits because you'll end up with scalding water, 3rd degree burns and whatnot) Fill an 8 to 10 ounce glass of water and keep it in the freezer while waiting for the boil.

Next Phase, when the water is at full boil, Dip the landing gear into the water and wait until it becomes loose and rubbery. Set the desired position (basically I over compensated until the landgear wheel was looking 45 degrees downward cant.

Last Phase: IMMEDIATELY retrieve the glass of water from the freezer and dip the landing gear into it. This will "shock" the plastic into retaining memory. Keep submerged for a couple of minutes. After both landing gear were set, I retracted them, closed the doors and kept the plane at rest for a couple days, refraining from any use. I tested the weight a couple days later and the Plane has NOT drooped since!!'

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:55 pm

Nice looking Hornet MiG29K!

To fix the L.G. on my Hornet I just heated them up with a lighter, softened them up a bit, and twisted the part to a point to where the gear wouldn't sag once weight was put on it. I have had no problems since, on all three of my Hornets.

***CAUTION*** If you try this, make sure to keep the plastic within the blue area of the lighters flame. This will help keep the plastic from turning black. BE SURE NOT TO OVERHEAT THE PART! Once the part starts to become flexable, remove it from the flame.

-Rob

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

USCGSARdog...

Post by MiG29K » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:22 pm

Hey Rob...Im a Rob too. Well the only reason I avoided the lighter / fire method was for that exact reason: blackening or even melting the plastic (worse) Soo you have three hornets eh? I was thinking of painting my hornet with MARINE squadron colors or another Navy Squadron and yes...I considered Canadian too. I heard there is an F-14 in 1:18 scale available...that is crazy...I want it!

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:39 pm

let me know if the landing gear still sag..

mig why did you not paint the landing gear so it match the plain. everything look great

i was thinking of painting the landing gear and wealthering it to make it look great.

mg let me know if the landing gear still give you trouble..

if after three month with not trouble i try it..

thank
whats up doc....

Timbo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Timbo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:02 pm

...somehow make room for the Avenger, ME-262, F-86 and Mig-15
Me-262? Did I miss a major announcement or is that just wishfull thinking?

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Black_Dragon_One...about the Landing Gear being painted...

Post by MiG29K » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:09 am

Well that is another thing on my list. I wanted to explore adding wires and maybe the lights too. Im basically going to use a mix of thinner and black to weather the gear. I wanted to do work on the the nose wheel by hollowing out the hub and adding the lug nuts to it. And so far I'm not having any sag trouble... Someone had written earlier about how he approached it: He used a flame to melt the gears....My approach was boiling and "supercooling" So far so good. I took the super cooling route sometime in Aug. it was one of the first mods I did when I noticed the sag. The project on the table for me is getting the Airbrake to work. I'm considering several options on the table. I will build the hydraulic piston for it and make it so it functions. I think that if BBI could make the tailhook work...why couldn't they make one of the signature features of the Hornet work? i.e, the airbrake.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:22 pm

Is it worth it? Hell yes its worth it.

Enough said.

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:26 am

Mike wrote:

"for MiG29K

I have copied some of your post below...which particular "fools" at BBI did you write to?

But yeah, I wrote those fools at BlueBox Toys International and said that they need to get movin' to the drawingboard for a MiG-29 and I even suggested that the Top Intake Louvres and FOD doors be functional. What would be even better is if they made aftermarket "Weapons Sets" with Laser Guided Bombs, JDAMs, and other goodies the Hornet and Viper can handle... "
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Mike ---> Fools at BBI

Post by MiG29K » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:50 am

Mike the story behind me and my dealings with BBI go a little further than my recommendations to them. On the Official BBI website, I noticed that they offered to replace any defective parts for free. Hell, I wanted to take them up on it since the F-16s missile were warped but instead opted to get the F-16's nose needle and the Missiles from the FA-18 "replaced" I figured that since HASBRO was very open about replacement parts (I requested parts from them a long time ago) I figured BBI would be the same way. Was I wrong. They wanted photos of the damaged parts, a freakin Essay on what went wrong ...everything short of my Social Security Number and Blood type. I was like DUDE... I'll even PAY for the F*&@n' Parts if cost is a factor. Soo they wanted me to send the parts at my expense back to Mainland China. Sooo I was like, this was far too much trouble and I said F@# it. What I should have done was explain what my real intent behind ordering the missiles was. But to answer your question...It was a link on their website that offered the usual "suggestions/comments" Where I told them that a MiG-29 is DEFINITELY in order. (Yeah, I wrote them an Essay - Haaa! I knew writin' all them damn essays at U of W would some day pay off) Long story short...they're kind of stingy when it comes to customer service and again I OFFERED to PAY...yes PAY for the spares.

Later...

R

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

PS about the Spare Parts...

Post by MiG29K » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:58 am

I contact BBI's New York Office subsequently. I will give them credit for trying but about 2 weeks after my request for possible spares... they told me that they could not fulfill my request. I bet those people at company headquarters told N.Y. : Oh No...it's not that jack--- from Seattle with his F-18 again!!!!! I should send them pics of the "ahem" damage I did to my plane!

R

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:31 pm

Mike wrote:

"for MiG29K

so would your surname be Simmons?"
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Aferguson ...regards to surname

Post by MiG29K » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:45 pm

Nope. Not simmons...must be another person? perhaps.