What are you going to do when THAT day comes?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

What are you going to do when THAT day comes?

Post by aferguson » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:04 pm

All of us in this hobby know, deep inside, even if we won't admit it to ourselves, that the day will come when we finally run out of room for new toys.

Sure we can, and most probably have, been far more resourceful with space than we possibly could have imagined...but ultimately, there will come a time when there is just no more room to squeeze anything new into.

What will you do when that day comes?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:10 pm

Man, that day came for me years ago.

The answer: climate controlled storage unit! 8)

olifant
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by olifant » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:14 pm

I am very lucky (?) to have a large family and a large home. As the kids leave I will have five bedrooms to add to the office and hobby room. That being said, conceivably I could run out of room.

My guess would be that I would start stashing stuff in boxes and putting them up in the attic. In a spare closet I already have about six big boxes filled with my loose figures, double repaints and MIB of various scales. This is done mainly to hide them from my wife because there would be interrogations if they saw the light of day. :shock:

If I ran out of all storage space I guess I would get rid of my doubles and focus strictly on new schemes and releases.

Aferg, if there are that many new models out I think I would be willing to suffer through the culling and be a happy collector! :D
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

mediump
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by mediump » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:15 pm

XD junkyard 8)
:lol:
I will need more land
:lol:
When down from the clouds with our weapons of Hell, we drop to avenge our friends who fell.

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:16 pm

Wow... I never thought about TRULY running out of space. Ceilings, rooms, closets, shelves, walls... In my house, if NOONE else lived here, I could hang and display AT LEAST 1,500 planes. 32x and XD. I've got my room, my plane room, spare room, master, kitchen, living room, dining room, and den...and breakfast room. Garage too. Lots of wall space, room for shelves, and talk about a constant air war on my entire ceiling...

Whoa. The thought of that is scary... but god would I have a problem with people losing their jaws... :lol:
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:17 pm

Bathrooms and attic will not be spared, either.
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:23 pm

I think of that somewhat often, but everytime I buy something I am always able to put it somewhere- and of course the angst and space worries begin again. Of course, as space becomes an issue, I simply rehang closer and closer- don't forget the son or daugters room-to a certain age they love what dad loves- it don't matter. Work space, too- it just proves what your coworkers have always thought about you anyway.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:26 pm

So, how many planes and armor pieces could be displayed nicely in a 40x60 pole barn? Plenty of room!
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:32 pm

Yeah, I think I'll just have to sell off all of my non-military collectibles, except for my Star Trek stuff. :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

MG-42

* When that Day comes ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:38 pm

* I'll go running down the street ,.. naked , screaming my fool head off ! * :shock:

Mitch v MG :p51:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:27 pm

Id have to get rid of another collection - but then again - I really didn't have the room when I started XD -

Now 25th GiJoe is kicking my butt
Starwars keeps making new figures....
The new Indiana jones movie toys...
Coins (yes I like coins...)
military items...
and a room of books......

sigh....
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:23 pm

Run out of room? I'll just buy a new house :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:00 am

As a Star Wars collector, lemme tell ya...

Space is tight. You go from carded collectin + loose to weeding out carded... Then you start weeding out anything extra you bought... Then it seems you cut down on things like army building, or vehicles, or multi-packs.

You just have to weed out where it makes you happy. For me, I pretty much cut out airplanes for instance. They're big, take up the most room, and hold my interest the least... So the tanks, armor, trucks and figures took precedence. Next to go with me would be eras I have less interest in (modern), probably vehicles first, figures last...

With Star Wars too, I've gotten where I box up old versions of new figures, and they go into storage. Only the better or unique versions of characters stay out. VOTC Han put to bed many a Han Solo, yet Death Star Escape Han remains, as does Smuggler Pilot Han... Similar, but unique.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

boyx30
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by boyx30 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:24 am

well move the wife and kids out of course!

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:58 am

WOW!! Flammenpanzer, ya just gotta know when to say when. :shock:

That time has come and gone for you! :D

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:42 am

I'll gladly take any excess planes and tanks anybody wants to get rid of.

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:27 am

For years now, I've told myself that I'd stop collecting once a 1:18 Phantom is made. And since it's taking so long for one to be made, I've been able to collect a lot of my favorite planes along the way. But space is now becoming a problem as you all note. I'm finding, though, that I don't like the look of packing the planes in, one on top of the other. I avoid repaints now. Only one of each model is hanging. I've started hanging some less desireable planes in the garage, but don't like doing that.

In short, I'm actually very close to that day, to stop collecting 1:18. I will definitely get the Skyraider, though. And of course I'll continue to hold out hope for a Phantom.

No-one that I know gives a damn about my collection (which I find weird, but maybe I'm the weird one. Thank god for this forum!). If there was, I'd sell planes I'd no longer want to that person, to make room. That would be an ideal compromise and allow me to justify staying in the 1:18 game.

There was a time when the future of 1:18 planes being made was in doubt. 21st was the only player, and the P-51 and 109 were the only birds made and the future of 21st was in question. So, I consider myself lucky to have been able to see the hobby thrive and build a great collection. Because of that fact, the day will come (soon) when I do stop collecting 1:18 planes, satisfied that I was able to take advantage of a great period for 1:18. I will not move to 1:32 because I don't want to start investing in another scale. The exception, of course, was for BBIs Phantom (great plane!).

Most likely there will continue to be great 1:18 planes made that will tempt me to no end. But the reality of space limitation will indeed stop me from buying.

It's no surprise that the manufacturers are opening up the 1:32 floodgates.

This space problem is a lousy reality. Damn!

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:36 am

I did buy a bigger house to hold my collection. I have room for more XD aircraft. And, since I hang my 32x in the classroom, I can buy plenty more of those.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:40 am

Building a new out building this spring.
Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:42 am

That day has come and gone. Now it is stacked wall to wall, floor to ceiling in one room, a pile in my living room, some in my den, and some in my car. :shock: :roll:

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:12 am

Gradually move to a smaller scale.

I'm at the place now (in a newer smaller house) where my 1/6 toy vehicles are in a, one in, one out, position. I have plans to have a wall of 1/6 tanks in my garage but that is far off. My XD are safe, but 1/48 planes are looking mighty good to me, before my interest in XD planes builds. A XD B-25 will have a always have place, as will anything special....like the 1/6 DID Sdkfz 251 in metal, I've pre-ordered. Who knows what the future brings..... only the Shadow do....

Never say never. :wink:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:21 am

Going to build a room in the garage

warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by warhawker » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:41 am

tmanthegreat wrote:Run out of room? I'll just buy a new house :wink:
I have just about hit the limit myself and have already started to talking to my wife that we may need to look at getting a bigger house....for her of course!

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:02 am

I'm good for a couple of more years, anyway. For one thing, I've become much more selective about what I add to the collection. No more repaints, and no more duplication between manufacturers (skipped the FOV Bradley, for instance, despite its low price, 'cause I already have two 21C Bradleys from a few years ago).

Plus, with some creative use of the space, I can fit quite a bit more in the storage loft I built a few years back.

Finally, over the last year or so I've managed to convince myself that I don't have to have EVERYTHING that comes out in 1:18. But I do plan on specific pieces that I consider special (such as the Me 262 Night Fighter, which I just received the other day, and I'm now holding out for the King Tiger and of course there's always room for an F-4 and a B-25!).