Questions on the Bravo Team Tiger Quality...

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
metalwar
Corporal
Corporal

Questions on the Bravo Team Tiger Quality...

Post by metalwar » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:56 am

Does any one owen the Tiger I and if so what are your thoughts on the quality? Would it be worth a E-Bay price of $40.00 plus shipping? I know that is twice the store price if I could find one. Would like a little input before I drop the money.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:32 am

It really depends on what you like. I would say that the overall opinion on the board has been positive. The tank is accurate to a mid-production Tiger, has generally good paint apps, and of course the zimermit :wink: It lacks most of the finer details present on the 21c Tiger, or even the 1:32 FOV Tiger for that matter. Only the commander and loader hatches open. The turret turns, tracks roll, and mudflaps are movable. The tools and stowage are not removable and are moulded onto the tank. The Driver & forward gunner's hatches don't open, and neither do the engine and radiators. The radiator gratings are not hollow and simply moulded on.

I am personally a bit more mixed about the FOV Tiger, probably because I like the 21c version so much. I bought one and kept it around for a few weeks, but finally sold it to another boardmember. I will admit it looked good, but the lack of details really bugged me on this tank, for some reason.

$40 for one is not too much over the original $30 store price and since the tanks are not exactly common, you may just get some bids for it.

Hope all this helps :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:04 pm

Well, this time I think it is about the money. If you had to get it off of ebay and pay in the $40-$50 range (including shipping) I don't think the quality and detail merit that price (even though thats how I had to get mine). If you got it from Target for $8-$10 on clearence like some of the members did, then the quality and detail are certainly worth more than that price. The 21C is cerainly more detailed but then it costs more. Anyway, I guess my problem with it :( is really what I had to pay to get one. The five Targets I visited had none.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:07 am

If you had to get it off of ebay and pay in the $40-$50 range (including shipping) I don't think the quality and detail merit that price
I would tend to agree with one exception: If you were buying it for a repaint and/or customization project then I think it's worth it, especially if you cannot procure one locally at retail. I got one from a boardmember here for the express purpose of repainting, it cost me roughly $40 and I think it was a great deal considering they never showed up in local Target stores around these parts, and the alternative from ebay would have almost certainly been more costly. Anyone want to take bets on what a well done custom of this model would fetch on ebay...?? I can easily see one going for $100 plus, and I think it's just a matter of time before a custom appears for sale on ebay....stay tuned.... 8)
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:17 am

If you can not find at it Target, then it is absolutely worth it as it is the most detailed 1/18 Tiger produced. Period.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:05 am

I agree, the FOV Tiger is a nice model, and the paint work is first rate.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Obi2kenobi
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Obi2kenobi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:50 am

I saw this on clearance at target for $14. I should have purchased it but it didn't look that great in the box. Excuse me while I go kick myself.

MG-42

[+] FoV Tiger I [+] = ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:04 am

[+] > " I personally think it's a fine example". * 8)

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:23 pm

If you can not find at it Target, then it is absolutely worth it as it is the most detailed 1/18 Tiger produced. Period.
???

DH

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:45 pm

I now have a few of the FOV tiggers.
I think they are ok, not spectacular(sp?) But I plan on modifying them at least a couple to a Normandy paint sceme and a couple to be modified to Jagdtigers. Never hurts to have something unique 8) Da General

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:05 pm

a couple to be modified to Jagdtigers.
Good luck, I believe that will be very tough to do on an FOV Tiger because pretty much the entire hull on the Jagdtiger is completely different than the Tiger I. If and when 21C comes out with the much anticipated King Tiger, you'd have a much easier time of it, but I think it would be very difficult to do on a Tiger I. :shock:
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

The Old Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Old Man » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:39 am

Finally on the front side of the buying curve. Got 6 of the Target Tigers.
Opinion - beats 21st in spades.
Its the TRACKS, Tigers have one of the most unique tracks of anything and the Target Tiger has one of the best replicas out there. 21st are neither combat nor transport - try making the tracks wider bunky
Its the zimmerit (?) - try putting that on 21st - I did 4 of them - wonder why my room is padded.
Its the front of the turret - its correct for the model - see above - maybe I do know why its padded.
Its the hull - especially the front armor plate and the engine decking
Its the road wheels - granted not enough but I ended up casting all the road wheels for 21st cause the hubs are wrong.
Yes the grills are solid - however 21st are so bulky you have to grind the daylights out of them to bring them down to "sit" on the hull
Yes everything is molded in (course that does beg the question of how many of you dig around in the yard with a 1/18 shovel)
Yes there are no "insides" - well whooppy t ding dong.
Yes ther's not enough road wheels - its actually going to be easier to correct that than trying to correct 21st.
Yes there's no zimmert on the front deck slope - things like that can make one go screaming down the hall but the meds take care of that.
Now, if you're into play things the 21st is your cup of tea.
We used to call things like the 21st Tiger - stand off scale - if you stood far enough away (like a mile or so) its very scale.
And - I do have 8 of 21st - I quit trying to modify them after the 4th one.
Target Tigers - like the 21st TBF - are one the really great buys.
Course if someone offered a 21st Tiger for a buck - I'd take it - I always wanted to do the "after" of Whittman's 007.
They're here with the meds so I have to quit.
Neil Hesse

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:29 am

The Old man

THANK YOU! VERY GOOD REVIEW. I really have been holding my pie hole shut on this because so many are so in love with the 21st Century Tiger but….

I too have spent a year trying to bring the 21st Century up to speed and finally gave up on it. Three weeks into customizing a FOV Bravo Tiger and it is turning out to be real show stopper. (even though the conversion has taken one FOV and one 21st Century for misc. parts) it was well worth the sacrifice.

True the FOV Tiger 1 does not have inaccurate driver and radio hatches that open to reveal an inaccurate interior, no out of scale hinged rear grills that “open”, nor are the tracks too narrow, entire profile/armor angle wrong, misshapen turret, deformed muzzle brake, … and on and on…

If you still think the 21st Century Tiger is “spot on” and more detailed that the FOV 1/18, then you obviously have not only a more vivid imagination than I could ever attain you also possess the acute eye for detail surpassed only by Stevie Wonder…

Better yet, I have a custom 1/18 Stug IV made from a shoe box I will sell ya for $20 (Hell, I will even get out the x-acto and cut some “opening” hatches for ya) …..
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by thehun » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:24 am

Hey!!!!!!! :shock:
That would make a great contest.....the best looking Tiger......Everybody loves a good Dressed up tiger, and just about everybody has customized - in one way or another - A tiger.
If such a contest should ever take place, WooferCustoms mite be willing to donate a Custom ??????? as part of the prize to the winner, I can't help it-----I just love a good looking tiger----- :D .
So whether it might be a good idea or the dummest thing you ever read---It was just a "Idea"
TheHun
Aka (Thewoofer)

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:17 am

Hey Hun ,
I hear you loud and clear. I think a custom Tiger contest would be a great idea. If you put up the custom work I will put up the tank either a Fov or a 21st to the project. We could be judges as we are putting up the prize.
What do you all think ? A CUSTOM TIGER 1 CONTEST !!!!!!!!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:21 am

What do you all think ? A CUSTOM TIGER 1 CONTEST !!!!!!!!

IN!

MG-42

[+] New FoV Tiger I "002" [+]

Post by MG-42 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:32 am

[+] > Sorry to disappoint everyone directly involved but , I won't be entering this contest.

[+] > ....... but I will say this however , that this New Tiger is far more accurate than 21st.'s + the fact it has more potential so you can do alot more w/ too , and now that I have it to compare w/ , the 21st. Tiger seems very toylike to me.

[+] > Summery : "I don't care what anybody says (+) about the 21st. Tiger , I like my FoV , the best".

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:29 pm

The Old Man wrote: We used to call things like the 21st Tiger - stand off scale - if you stood far enough away (like a mile or so) its very scale.
And - I do have 8 of 21st - I quit trying to modify them after the 4th one.
I went through 3 21st Tigers before I said, "Oh screw it."

Then I got myself a 1/16 Tiger I RC Tamiya kit. And my Tiger cravings were finally sated. :)

(Not really)

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by thehun » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:27 pm

I got a couple of those tamiya RC kits myself, They are really nice,-------
About a Tiger 1 contest :D It was just a idea, I'm like MG-22, I won't enter it or even judge it, but i might throw a couple prizes in just to see some nice customs, "heck" it don't have to be a contest at all--I would like to see a nice Early Tiger in 1/18.
TheHun
Aka (Thewoofer)

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:43 pm

I would be in,don't have a FOV tiger 1,what about custom 21st verses custom fov tiger 1?

olifant

Post by olifant » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:49 pm

In the red corner, weighing in at $99 from e-bay for those that missed them first time around, 21st Century Tiger afficionados.

In the blue corner, weighing in at $99 from e-bay for those that never got a chance, FOV fans.

When I give the signal I want you to come out gluing and grinding. I wanna clean fight, defend yourselves, keep your guns up and remember its all in fun boys! Its toys! :D

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :wink:
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by thehun » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:06 pm

olifant,
Your timing was just right, :D :lol: Too Funny------Maybe a contest Ain't sucha bad idea after all.
TheHun

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:50 pm

olifant,thats great! :lol:

The Old Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Old Man » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:25 am

Humm - dressed up Tiger - don't kow about that - never thought of putting a dress on a Tiger I - be good for 21st though - could use the "Tickle Me Tolstoy" doll for the dress.

As far as contest - never entered - ain't good enough -
As said before - troops, these are toys not $2,500.00 scale models with 695 parts - so matter what grabs you - be happy. Cause something is better than nothing.
Neil Hesse

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Dressed up Tigers

Post by thehun » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:02 am

These are kinda my idea of a dressed up tiger. :D

TheHun
Aka (TheWoofer)