Spec. Ed. P-51 BBD is out

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
vmf214
Officer - Brigadier General

Spec. Ed. P-51 BBD is out

Post by vmf214 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:21 am

Apparantly only thing special edition about it is the box which is awesome. I'm down for one. :D

All the restock BBD's etc will be in this box, no more green box. Ordered mine from 3000toys.com and had the guy walk to the warehouse and verify it is in the spec. ed. box. There in the same town that I work in, wish they'd allow customer pickups...

Image :D
Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Tambo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:38 am

Wow! what a sweet box. Too bad I take them all out.

Who saves the boxes? I know I have a few but I just don't have the room for 25+ boxes for 1/18th scale stuff.

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:37 am

I display all my stuff in the boxes as I don't have room to display them out. Have a few 32x planes out on display but nothing in 1/18. :)
Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Tambo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:43 am

If you are a boxed collector I sure hope they continue to make them like this. I know as a figure collector the art on the card is more important then the figure....the new GI Joe 25th are a attestment to that, both the art and the figures are sweet.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:34 pm

21st Must be taking tips from the big boys (Hasbro); first new paint, then same paint, new boxes on old molds..........they know they'll sell to completists, especially during long dry spells when money is burnin holes in the pockets. Something new please! :wink:

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:41 pm

Looks great! I wonder what our chances are of seeing in brick and mortar....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:46 pm

I actually hope the chances of seeing the BBD P-51 Special Edition at a brick-and-mortar store are slim. At least, after two of the Wal Marts in my area got 12-14 BBD P-51s each this past summer in the regular boxes. I would think that most of the people who want this particular paintscheme have one and 21c would do better to make a new paintscheme...

That's not to say that the box doesn't look nice, however :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

digger

new box

Post by digger » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:49 pm

I would love to see a special edition box of a re-release a lot of people missed the first time. I think there are a few planes that people wish they had but don't want to pay ebay prices for, not the least of which is the Spitfire!

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:01 pm

Hope you guys put your money where your mouth is and buy these up!
Maybe it will convince them to go ahead and actually make an F-4 Phantom! :wink:

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:26 pm

Around Kansas City saw mostley Old Crow Mustangs. Only saw one BBD Mustang and I think it was an old style put in a new box.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:55 pm

CW4USARMY wrote:Hope you guys put your money where your mouth is and buy these up!
Maybe it will convince them to go ahead and actually make an F-4 Phantom! :wink:
The only thing that will convince 21st to make the Phantom is if AT finally make theirs. :P

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:14 pm

GooglyDoogly wrote:
CW4USARMY wrote:Hope you guys put your money where your mouth is and buy these up!
The only thing that will convince 21st to make the Phantom is if AT finally make theirs. :P
I'm with ya! I was just prodding the gullable. :wink:

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:22 pm

As a "collector" and not a "completist" I put my money where my mouth is and bought one. The fact that BBD is one the THE most recognizable P-51's of all time is probably just a little bit of the reason for the special edition box. Maybe 21st is going in a new direction with customizing the boxes specific to the aircraft...I think it's pretty friggin' cool myself. I hope they only run them briefly in this box. Then we can read more whining from early on naysayers about "wish I woulda" as was the case with Tender Terror. :wink:

If they make the Phantom then cool, if it's out as projected even cooler. If it doesn't come out till next Christmas that's fine with me as well.
Without 21st boys we'd likely not have this hobby right now. :wink: :wink:

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:32 pm

vmf214 wrote:As a "collector" and not a "completist" I put my money where my mouth is and bought one. The fact that BBD is one the THE most recognizable P-51's of all time is probably just a little bit of the reason for the special edition box. Maybe 21st is going in a new direction with customizing the boxes specific to the aircraft...I think it's pretty friggin' cool myself. I hope they only run them briefly in this box. Then we can read more whining from early on naysayers about "wish I woulda" as was the case with Tender Terror. :wink:

If they make the Phantom then cool, if it's out as projected even cooler. If it doesn't come out till next Christmas that's fine with me as well.
Wow, you're right, I keep forgetting that 21st is our 1:18 savior and can do no wrong, and that anybody who even mentions that they are even slightly unpleased with their practices are "nay sayers" and "whiners" and are marked for quick retaliation from their devout followers. Thanks for reminding me, now I'll go wash my mouth out with soap for being a bad boy on the forum. :lol:

(I must have been crazy to think 21st could learn some custormer consideration and care lessons from Admiral) :wink:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:35 pm

You do have a point, CW4USARMY :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Bruzzer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bruzzer » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:23 pm

I saw it about 3 weeks ago I just didn't think anyone would care about the box. Shows what I know. :shock:

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:35 pm

I bought four defect-riddled BBDs in the old box and would have preferred that 21st Century spend its time and resources on quality control instead of new boxes...a triumph of style over substance.

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:38 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I actually hope the chances of seeing the BBD P-51 Special Edition at a brick-and-mortar store are slim. At least, after two of the Wal Marts in my area got 12-14 BBD P-51s each this past summer in the regular boxes. I would think that most of the people who want this particular paintscheme have one and 21c would do better to make a new paintscheme...

That's not to say that the box doesn't look nice, however :wink:
If experience is any guide, 21st will spend the next six months customizing the artwork for the box of the new paint scheme, which they'll announce in the summer and will probably hit the stores near you in, oh, let's say a year or two from now. :roll:

I mean, I'm still waiting for the Mig Mad Mavis to come out (and let's not forget the Boyington Corsair). Maybe it's the artwork on the box that's holding them up on this one. :shock:

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:03 pm

dragon53 wrote:I bought four defect-riddled BBDs in the old box and would have preferred that 21st Century spend its time and resources on quality control instead of new boxes...a triumph of style over substance.
Amen to that, sir!

BTW, I don't think we're being critical of 21st because we don't like their products or we're trying to badmouth them.

I think we like them so much that we –or those who can afford it, at any rate– even go the extra mile to find a flawless BBD (if such a thing does indeed exist in the realm of XD).

Here's a collector that has bought FOUR units of the same model to get one that's right (and I think I know exactly how he feels, because the paint job on my BBD is so lousy that I've been tempted to do the same).

Now, if 21st truly held their customer base in any esteem whatsoever, they'd have learned their lesson already, but clearly they haven't. All that fanfare about the Special Edition box goes to show that they're not interested in addressing QA issues. :cry:

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:37 am

I have about 6 BBD all in the old box. I will gladly buy 6 more with the new box if they will put the new King Tiger in them :twisted:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:50 am

CW4USARMY wrote:
vmf214 wrote:As a "collector" and not a "completist" I put my money where my mouth is and bought one. The fact that BBD is one the THE most recognizable P-51's of all time is probably just a little bit of the reason for the special edition box. Maybe 21st is going in a new direction with customizing the boxes specific to the aircraft...I think it's pretty friggin' cool myself. I hope they only run them briefly in this box. Then we can read more whining from early on naysayers about "wish I woulda" as was the case with Tender Terror. :wink:

Wow, you're right, I keep forgetting that 21st is our 1:18 savior and can do no wrong, and that anybody who even mentions that they are even slightly unpleased with their practices are "nay sayers" and "whiners" and are marked for quick retaliation from their devout followers. Thanks for reminding me, now I'll go wash my mouth out with soap for being a bad boy on the forum. :lol:

(I must have been crazy to think 21st could learn some custormer consideration and care lessons from Admiral) :wink:
Hey, great smarta$$ reply. Now let me put my post BACK into context. Naysayer, referring to the spec. ed. BBD, NOT 21st's business practices, "whiner": guys who negged out an early item only to WHINE about it later on how they shoulda got one afterall. If you don't like the new box then don't buy the damn plane, don't blow negative smoke up everyone elses butt. Who said they are our saviour? They did start the damn 1/18 aircraft/armor line you know, or do you... :roll:

I am so tired of threads going off into left field. This thread is about the new spec. ed. BBD, not a freakin' Phantom! That's the one thing I despise about this forum, too many threads get bastardized into something else. Lets keep it to topic. :wink:

I guess I'm "gullable", damn wish I was a primodonna... :P

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 am

vmf214 wrote:
CW4USARMY wrote: Wow, you're right, I keep forgetting that 21st is our 1:18 savior and can do no wrong, and that anybody who even mentions that they are even slightly unpleased with their practices are "nay sayers" and "whiners" and are marked for quick retaliation from their devout followers. Thanks for reminding me, now I'll go wash my mouth out with soap for being a bad boy on the forum. :lol:

Hey, great smarta$$ reply. Now let me put my post BACK into context. Naysayer, referring to the spec. ed. BBD, NOT 21st's business practices, "whiner": guys who negged out an early item only to WHINE about it later on how they shoulda got one afterall. If you don't like the new box then don't buy the damn plane, don't blow negative smoke up everyone elses butt. Who said they are our saviour? They did start the damn 1/18 aircraft/armor line you know, or do you... :roll:

I am so tired of threads going off into left field. This thread is about the new spec. ed. BBD, not a freakin' Phantom! That's the one thing I despise about this forum, too many threads get bastardized into something else. Lets keep it to topic. :wink:

I guess I'm "gullable", damn wish I was a primodonna... :P
Dude, lighten up. ROTFL!!!!! :lol:

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Tambo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:51 am

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:37 am

Hee-Hee. Good one.

That movie still rocks...

Jeffrey
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:51 pm

:shock:
It is a toy in a new box.
Nothing else
Don't play the record backwards. There is no hidden meaning.
Getting off topic is what makes these topics fun. Yeah that is the key word . FUN
Take a deep breath sit down in the lotus positon and think XD. You don't need a new box to do that. :wink:
Francis
Last edited by pickelhaube on Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller