POST ALL BBI TARGET/TRU ETC FINDS HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:42 am

Hi Guys

Nice pictures tman. When you did your head swaps did you just use new BBI WWII figures or where you able to use some heads from old BBI figures, would like to know so when I can finaly order them on-line I want to get some other BBI's to do some head swaping and are the old ones safe to use?

Thanks
SGT. Saunders
There's only one way out of HELL! and that's through it!!

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

headswaps

Post by digger » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:01 am

Some of the early bbi guys do not have enough of a neck to put on the new figures but if you have any bbi Paras their heads are a pretty good fit, and they give plenty of variety in sculpts. The Super Humvee driver fits well also IIRC. :)

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:11 am

I swapped heads from within the range of the new BBI WWII troops & paras. There was plenty of variety, though I have some repeat faces on different bodies. As digger said, the heads swap easily. I too tried to incorporate the older BBI Modern troop heads with the new ones initially, but the necks weren't long enough on the old BBI figures. You can also switch arms to create figures from different units using hot water and a screw driver to pop them out. For example, I've made a 29th Infantry Officer and regular Infantry figure in addition to the BAR gunner - and conversely made a 2nd ranger BAR gunner. The ease in customizing BBI figures, both old and new, is a real plus!

Nimitz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Colonel Steele

Post by Nimitz » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:20 am

Maybe this has already been discussed, but I can't find it anywhere. Anyways, I havn't gotten the rangers yet, but does Colonel Steele actually have capt. bars and not an eagle on his helmet? I don't know maybe my eyes are playing really BIG tricks on me. Both the pictures on ebay and at the beginning of this thread show him with bars on his helmet. That would stink if you paid $45 for the one on ebay and ended up getting a capt. :?:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:37 am

You're right, he does have the Captains bars on the helmet, where he should have the Colonel eagle. I really don't pay attention to the little cards on the front, they are sometimes inaccurate. Now I just have "Captain Steele" which is fine by me.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:47 am

I got the new BBI WW2 figures. Quite nice, although some of the helmets don't look quite right. Otherwise, lots of juicy gear, nice sculpts and faces (except for Jackson....what's up with him?) :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

pcb122605
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pcb122605 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:48 am

aferguson wrote:I got the new BBI WW2 figures. Quite nice, although some of the helmets don't look quite right. Otherwise, lots of juicy gear, nice sculpts and faces (except for Jackson....what's up with him?) :)
Is Jackson the one w/ the camo on his face? If so, I think the problem is the way the eyes are painted. The blue just stands out too much and he has this evil stare going on.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:11 pm

no Jackson is the one with the pink face and the weird expression. All the other faces are sort of rudied and weathered looking......his is as pink as a newborn baby and his expression is bizarre.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

pcb122605
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pcb122605 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:28 pm

aferguson wrote:no Jackson is the one with the pink face and the weird expression. All the other faces are sort of rudied and weathered looking......his is as pink as a newborn baby and his expression is bizarre.
Hmm, mine looks perfectly normal. My Col. (Capt.) Steele has a really pink skin tone but its nothing really odd looking. I wonder if BBI used different skin tone paint colors on different runs of the figures? Kind of like how 21st corrected that first series of Germans.

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:01 pm

are they painted buy hand or machine?
i see same mistkes over and over

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:28 pm

Similar paint flaws probably means they're painted by machine. Hand painting would drive up the cost, as you would need some pretty skilled labor. Some of my figures have the lighter skin tone and I also have a Col. Steele with rather pink skin. I thought the 2nd Ranger Infantry figure (was that one Jackson?) had an odd-looking face.

digger

Wave 2?

Post by digger » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:43 am

The Pathfinder is cool....(and my guy was missing his backpack ).
Did anyone else notice the Pathfinder did not include a backpack for a while and now does? I did not get a pack with either of the first 2 I got (they had the hole, just no pack), but now my third has a pack. Like the other packs it is unique and very detailed (with poncho tucked under the flap), just wish I could get my hands on a couple extras for my earlier guys. I also noticed on the more recent Pathfinder a less extreme paint job on his face. :)
Btw, these guys are awesome... 8)

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:25 am

Both my Pathfinders had packs, but one of my officers did not. I replaced his pack with the one that came with a BAR gunner; the BAR gunner was manning a 21c WC-57 Command Car and couldn't wear the pack due to the seat. It seems that the omission of various packs with these figures has been somewhat common, which is too bad as the packs look awesome!

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:45 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Similar paint flaws probably means they're painted by machine. Hand painting would drive up the cost, as you would need some pretty skilled labor. Some of my figures have the lighter skin tone and I also have a Col. Steele with rather pink skin. I thought the 2nd Ranger Infantry figure (was that one Jackson?) had an odd-looking face.
Tman, you'd be amazed how many times toys are painted by hand... It's just that the paint process is so machine-like that mistakes can be easily made over and over... I was surprised when I saw how much was done by hand in the factories though, it's amazing.

I've yet to find the BBI WW2 figures, I'm getting antsy about it... You guys are making me jealous. :) I need those Rangers. I've needed a WW2 fix for GOOD basic infantry figures for a LONG time now.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:59 pm

They still haven't showed up in my immediate AO either, and there's two TRUs, with another one only an hour away! Its not really a problem to me any more as I have all the figures I want, just the fact that they haven't arrived when everything else seems to have done so strikes me as strange. All of mine came from elsewhere - other towns in California I stopped at randomly while on road trips and some sent by a fellow boardmember.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:13 am

I didn't see Merrille's Marrauders out here either. Dry dry dry... I'm plugging away though, I need these BBI figures, and I'd like the MM set just for that damn truck that never made it to the Pittsburgh area. :) Pathetic but I'm to the point I'd buy that set JUST for that.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

digger

new stuff tough to come by..

Post by digger » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:58 am

Jesse James wrote:....I need these BBI figures, and I'd like the MM set just for that damn truck that never made it to the Pittsburgh area. :) Pathetic but I'm to the point I'd buy that set JUST for that.
That's not pathetic at all seeing as how I paid $35 for one truck when they first came out. I just wish I hadn't done that 4 times :? :roll:
The new bbi guys are maddening - they are so cool once you get a few you want that many more :o I'm still itching for these to show up online so I can go nuts. Even if you see them in tru it is rare they have more than a set or 2. We need SmallJoes to come through on these....hear that Corey? :P :D

normandy

bbi figures

Post by normandy » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:58 pm

I found some U.S. figures this past weekend at aTRU near me. All they had were 3 of each... Jackson 82nd, Hanson 101st and Gordon 29 inf. I picked up one of each. They were $6.99 but rang up $4.99 and the receipt said "army desert figures" :?: :shock: 8) I'm going back for more, if they still have them.

digger

Re: bbi figures

Post by digger » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:06 am

normandy wrote:....I'm going back for more, if they still have them.
Good luck! I was wondering what if these new bbi figs were the "must have" toy of the season (they should be), would they be harder to find or easier because they would be stocked to the roof?

On a related note, I brought some carded bbi paras to T-day to give to my 10 yr. old cousin (and to try out myself in his yard, hehe...). I thought he would ignore them for his video games but when I showed one to him he said "I have soldiers, but not with that much detail"...the kid gets it 8) He immediately id'd the weapons (from Medal of Honor) and the unit (101st) from SPR. Long story shorter, when I asked him if he wanted WWII or Modern he said WWII. When I pushed him on scale we settled on 4 inch guys. :wink: This kid is going to have a serious Xmas...I went shopping for him in my closet and wow is he in for it :P The only reason I feel bad is I know if I find any of the new bbi guys I'm not going to want to share. :?
He would have loved the Target line I think, but I really wanted to push him in the right direction....kids appreciate having 'serious' toys and this little guy had grandparents and great uncles in WWII. Yea, he thought the gun case and aux chute on the para were extra protection :roll: , but we're getting there.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:07 pm

Digger,
I had a similar experience with my 11 yr old nephew. I have all my stuff displayed in my basement. We were looking for something on ebay when we got to talking about WWII. He gained alot of knowledge from the video games (just like your nephew). He even deceided to redo his Star Wars themed room to ARMY - thanks to his Uncle (me) - He will be having a Green Stuka and Japanese Zero in 1/18 scale hanging from his ceiling.

You got me thinking -I may just have to give some of the paras to him and his brother for Christmas too. They do have a 2nd story widow the paras might have to "bail out" from...
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:10 am

Digger,

My gf's kids got hooked on Star Wars so I can sympathize... I just don't wanna share sometimes. ;) Especially when her youngest is wanting an army like he saw at my house when they were over... I mean, my god I barely afforded building up my own Clone army! :)

The best though was when the boys got Clone 3-packs (all pre-posed figures) one day while out with their mom, opened them when they got home, and immediately said, "Oh man these don't move! THey suck I'd rather just get that one Clone!". As a guy that's always pushed for articulation, that's music to my ears and really just reinforced my opinions on that line. They want the SA Clones over getting 3 in a single pack but pre-posed. Nice. :)

The other thing that had me laughing was when I was out and had them with me while I was looking for some figures... The 8 year old said, "man they're stupid, there's never any Clones around" (I was looking for SA's at the time), and it just hit me how absolutely true that was and how poorly the distribution of some figures was this year.

Kids can really give you a laugh at your hobby. :) I just like knowing that my somewhat "forcefully" expressed opinions have the backing of kids who are what the line(s) are supposedly made for and geared towards mostly. Guess I'm not so out of touch.

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:56 am

Hi Guys

I was looking on BadCats web site the other day and saw on the BBI 1/18 figures page that there are new figures their "Army Desert OPS". Good price! does any 1 have these figures? Im thinking of getting the set for when I get the new 1/18 WWII Rangers for some head swaping, need to know if these guys are the NO neck type and if the heads are a mach for head swaping with the new WWII figures?

Q=2) What do you use to swap BBI figure heads is it the same when swaping heads for 21st figures hot water?

Thanks
SGT. Saunders

digger

bbi guys

Post by digger » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:13 am

These are the Special Weapons team guys, and you're right that is a good price (I think it was even less when they were first put up). Only better price is at GoodStuff, but that is too be expected at this point.

They are however somewhat devoid of a neck. This is because the high reach of the body armor, no neck is really showing. Do you have any USMC - much like this. I wouldn't buy them with the sole purpose of swapping heads with my paras, although some could work. Like the paras though, they come loaded with cool weapons. 8)

As for how to - it is a breeze. Hot water (be careful, small pieces could come off the figure in hot water, just stick them back afterwards), pop! And because the necks are "rubbery" they go back in the bbi body no problem.

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:57 am

Hi digger

So the neck's on those Army desert OPS figures are no good?
The only BBI figures that I have are the Paras with the shoots and I only have 1 set and I don't want to pull any of them apart I have them hanging up in my office at home.
I need to find some BBI figures that are a good mach for head swaping for when I get the new WWII BBI figures 2Rangers, 3paras and 1 29th Infantry, I will get more then 1 set. Could you please tell me what ones look right? neck not to long or to short just perfect and are still avalable to order (can only get BBI figures on-line) or I will try to find someone on the board to trade with.

Thanks
SGT. Saunders

digger

bbi headswaps

Post by digger » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:09 pm

I could understand not wanting to butcher them at over $7 a pop but if you do get an extra set of paras the heads are just right for the new guys.
The Super Humvee driver head fits great too, he is one of my battle ready paras. The Mustang pilot (who is David Duchovny imo) also works well as a Ranger. You could work with the older heads, but for easiest swaps and best fits the new paras are best.

I put two pics in my webshots - they're not great photos but you can see the para head and Mustang head in action on the new bbi guys. If the link doesn't work you could use the website button.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/234 ... 0262yvaHcV