Admiral 1/18 Mosquito

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by dragon53 » Sat May 30, 2009 7:31 am

GUYS:

Recently, Jason gave us the opportunity to buy a 1/18 German Sabre at $5 and diecast Panzers at $2, so the least we can do is give him the benefit of the doubt on the Mosquito and other future Admiral releases.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sat May 30, 2009 8:56 am

As with all other announced releases of new items, I hesitate to get all excited until some firm news comes about. In the meantime, I'll bide my time and just wait and see what happens. :D

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat May 30, 2009 12:47 pm

OK, I've been busy and just had a chance to read through this thread. Holy cats - that will be one nice piece of 1:18!

P47faninchicago
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by P47faninchicago » Sun May 31, 2009 8:50 pm

I am a little confused as to why an anouncement MUST be made so very early in the process of creating a new plane. Why not wait until it is almost finished and ready to be preordered rather than risk losing credibility when it doesn't materialize yet again. Seems like there is much more to be lost by anouncing so early than there would be to gain.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:55 pm

P47faninchicago wrote:I am a little confused as to why an anouncement MUST be made so very early in the process of creating a new plane. Why not wait until it is almost finished and ready to be preordered rather than risk losing credibility when it doesn't materialize yet again. Seems like there is much more to be lost by anouncing so early than there would be to gain.

AT measures it release dates by decades......... :P :P

Just kidding Jason :wink:

We know its the economy and making sure you get it right the first time. :wink: 8)
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:45 am

P47faninchicago wrote:I am a little confused as to why an anouncement MUST be made so very early in the process of creating a new plane. Why not wait until it is almost finished and ready to be preordered rather than risk losing credibility when it doesn't materialize yet again. Seems like there is much more to be lost by anouncing so early than there would be to gain.
Well, I think with all the doom-saying, it was all about timing. The producers needed to make sure that we collectors know that all is not lost and to keep your eyes open.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:04 am

Doom!
the end is near!! Bahh! (spits on puppies)
plastic death !! repent!
I can't wait for my mosquito!
oh sweet panacea!
(cleans off puppy)

doom!!!
bah! The end to Moral law!!
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

compfire
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by compfire » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:14 pm

Jason,

Thank you for keeping us upto date. I am looking forward to the 1/18 Mosquito! This will be a great aircraft to own.

Boyx3
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Boyx3 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Field of dreams: IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL.......buy it....of course
FKA: Boyx30

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Boyx3 wrote:Field of dreams: IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL.......buy it....of course
The marketing gurus all think that.

Not necessarily true in actuality. Short term? No, not all will be sold.

Long term, you could expect most to be accounted for.
Even the FW190Ds with 1/2 inch of dust are all gone...somewhere.

DH

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:51 pm

A while back there was a discussion about pre-paid orders financing new products. I still think that's an opportunity that hasn't been tried, and it seems to have more positive than negative points.

A manufacturer would say 'we are thinking about making X model. We have been working on plans and have spoken with factories about making X model, so we have a good estimate of costs in manufacture and what we could sell X model for. If you (the buyer) will pre-order X model at $100 delivered, and pay half now, half when the models are ready for delivery, we will make X model IF we have enough pre-orders to start financing the project. If we don't get enough orders, we refund your money.'

Then the manufacturer could determine how many models to make based upon pre-orders and realistic retail sales. If it's a popular model, make quite a few and sell for less; if not so popular, make less but sell for more. No project would be made that couldn't support itself with pre-orders.

That's very simplistic, but seems workable....

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:00 pm

flayrah wrote:A while back there was a discussion about pre-paid orders financing new products. I still think that's an opportunity that hasn't been tried, and it seems to have more positive than negative points.

A manufacturer would say 'we are thinking about making X model. We have been working on plans and have spoken with factories about making X model, so we have a good estimate of costs in manufacture and what we could sell X model for. If you (the buyer) will pre-order X model at $100 delivered, and pay half now, half when the models are ready for delivery, we will make X model IF we have enough pre-orders to start financing the project. If we don't get enough orders, we refund your money.'

Then the manufacturer could determine how many models to make based upon pre-orders and realistic retail sales. If it's a popular model, make quite a few and sell for less; if not so popular, make less but sell for more. No project would be made that couldn't support itself with pre-orders.

Eh....sounds like the perfect way for a bunch of people to lose their money. "Oops! Yeah, well, we ran out of money to do the project... Yours!"

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:14 pm

Yes, a good choice, and a significant historic bird.
T

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:33 am

flayrah wrote:A while back there was a discussion about pre-paid orders financing new products. I still think that's an opportunity that hasn't been tried, and it seems to have more positive than negative points.

I've thought about this and similar concepts. Unfortunately, it's a legal nightmare.

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:08 pm

it's always been on the company to invest money into a project...
ideal scenario would be that market research and what other companies have done /are doing would dictate the produced project.

However it's still a gamble as there is NO garantee to make a profit let alone your cost back, as a friend of mine said...all business is a gamble.

right now companies can't afford to gamble. Take a walk down the mall and see all the empty windowfronts.

pre paid orders for custom production runs are a attempt to garantee your costs are met. Which as the other poster said opens up a whole nother can of issues.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:39 pm

It costs a lot to bring these models to the market, but I was thinking that maybe though it would cost a little bit more on the production end, why not cut the edition size down on each paint scheme. This at least creates a higher demand for them as people will pay more or they will sell out quicker if there are fewer issues of certain edition sizes.

If Airstrike can make hundreds of dollars more for an already produced model by repainting it, why can't BBI, JSI, and Admiral, at least get more for limited runs and thus creating more of a demand.

I know Jason kinda explained this talking about Sabre production runs in another thread. That they have to be similar in the base color, and a minimum number of models produced to justify the expense, but it seems there would be a middle ground somewhere in there to make an extra profit on top.

Just my thoughts.
I'm buying a Mosquito no matter how they paint it though.

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:23 pm

Just my thoughts.
I'm buying a Mosquito no matter how they paint it though.
and a ...dauntless too I bet :)

ME TOO...BRING IT

DH

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:24 am

They could release it in pink for all I care. I know where my local hobby shop is. Nothing an airbrush and Jackson can't fix.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:47 am

the paint scheme shown by Admiral is of a Coastal Command Mosquito. They were used extensively by CC. Not the normal fighter-bomber and pathfinder-bomber roles you thnk of with a mosquto though.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:43 am

aferguson wrote:the paint scheme shown by Admiral is of a Coastal Command Mosquito. They were used extensively by CC. Not the normal fighter-bomber and pathfinder-bomber roles you thnk of with a mosquto though.
I'm pretty sure that was just a picture of a non 1/18 Mosquito that was shown. When Admiral does the Mosquito in 1/18 you can bet they'll do their research and produce it with a more recognizable scheme, accuracy included... :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:22 am

Corgi released one with a canary yellow undersides, and red engine cowlings in 1:72.

I wonder if any other planes were painted the odd Spitfire pink?

I like the scheme on this prototype myself.

Here's a similar one (the bomber version) in 1:1 scale at Oshkosh: http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/mosquitong_1.htm

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:59 pm

no pink mosquitoes but there were some recce versions that were overall azure blue in colour.

Birddog: agreed, i think the picture Jason posted is of a smaller scale model too. I assumed it was their S1 scheme, though. Not the most popular of choices but seems to be the trend, as with JSI, to release less desirable schemes first in the hopes of getting more overall sales.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

MG-42

* AT's 1:18 Mosquito ?

Post by MG-42 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:43 pm

* I'll believe this whole thread when it actually goes into production , ready for $ale. :?

- Mitch v MG :p51:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

norman888
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by norman888 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:05 pm

First things first...where's the Dauntless????

This is all a lot of hot air until we actually see something new from Admiral.

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

second thing second

Post by supersonicfifi » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:32 am

second thing second ( first thing first was allready used!) where is the SKYRAIDER ? :?:
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?