MORE!! bad news for 21C

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:38 am

Kind of makes you wonder how many Toy Sharks will crawl out from under their rocks to begin buying up 21C stuff to sell at ridiculous prices now that 21C is defunct.

ltcbj
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ltcbj » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:42 am

Ta dum

Ta dum

Ta dum, ta dum

ta dum, ta dum

dum dum dum dummmmm
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:47 am

Strange I sit here and read all of this :?
To see the anger and frustration from all who collect. I too feel bad about the 21st C going south, but I am more angered at what may have caused it. And that is the CEO and CFO at 21st (if not others) puttin' company money into their pockets instead of re-investing it, thus hurting the business causing the eventual demise of 21st. Folks, this is happening all across the country and IS responcable for where our economy is now. It is plain wrong to see and hear that top level exec.s are takin' the government bailout funds to these large companies and running off with it. I never bought from Monkey Depot. I prefer not to deal with anyplace that refers to "Monkeys", I know what monkey business is and tend to avoid such things. And with that, I left more to others. Remember, for older models, there's always Evil bay :twisted: That's where I got most of my older models from myself. Higher non discounted prices you say, well how much is it worth to you ??? I would agree some prices are way too high, but deals DO pop up from time to time ;) As for my future aquirements, I look to find more Pk40s on the hanomags. This way I can cut them up to build Maurader III tanks(that will fit on my flatcars) and other smaller tanks. I have enough Panthers and Tigers. Yet I did order most of my items in lots to save a bit of $$$$ Some places will give a discount when you buy a case of armour rather than one or two. I will miss seeing a 21st KT if they don't come out, but if they don't do it, someone else will :) If not, I could build one out of a Panther frame :roll:

As for troops, well, I got plenty of them :P
I guess we'll see more WWII troops if we push for them. My troops are still being retro-fitted with other figure heads to make them more unique and not look like clones. The latest heads I've found have been from the Marvel comic line. I also just picked up a Wolverene figure to get his head into the mix. So then other things to be done, more unique items(armour and figures in my case) can be made to expand the mighty fighting forces. Another thing about prices, I was shocked a while back to see how much stores got for a 1/32 tank model That I need for just a few parts :shock: It goes across the board, everything is more expensive now guys and gals. If you can find stuff on clearance or at say MD, then pounce on it. It ain't going to last long ......

For now, my "Play" money is going to buy more trains since the 1/18th WWII military model offerings is at a stand still and believe me, they get a bunch of dollars for the older production of LGB items on Evil bay like they do for the 21st models because of the impending demise of both companies :x But working with the trains and 1:18th figures helps me not be stressed out on the lack of production of the military models. Besides, I have plenty to do now to build the armoured train as well as putting figures in passenger cars, locos etc. Been lots of fun as well as lots of pain too :twisted: But for now I am complacent in the merger of my two hobbies :P

My few cents worth, if it matters at all 8)

Da General

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:48 am

I must disagree with you regarding the CEO, et al, removal of money from companies that they own or work for.

That is their business. A company is built to make money. In the case of 21stC we have no idea why they have or are going under, if in fact that is what is happening. As for other companies.... The amount of money being passed out as bonuses is miniscule compared to what got them into trouble in the first place (which was largely aided, abetted and mandated by government) and what they have been doing with the massive amounts of money handed them b y the government to supposedly save their sorry a---s.

For instance. The AIG execs were promised their bonuses by congress when AIG was given over $160,000,000,000.00. (One hundred and sixty billion dollars.) The bonuses were offered to the execs so that they would stay on, knowing that their jobs would be eliminated, and these were bonuses to keep them on until their positions were gone. If not for these "retention" bonuses these guys would have been out the door looking for new jobs when AIG needed them to hand out the TARP money in its many billions to other companies, banks and foreign nations.... Their "bonuses" amounted to one tenth of one percent of the TARP money and far less than what was freely thrown away to foreign banks.

The reason our economy is in the mess it is is two fold. 1) the congress mandating and guaranteeing (via Fanny and Freddie) bad housing loans in the first place via The Community Re-Development Act, and 2) Congress throwing trillions of our tax dollars that we haven't even paid yet and on which the money hasn't even been earned yet, at the problem.

This is a scandal of epic proportions of government interference in the free market at every point. and at every point making things worse.

So I see no rationale at all to hold 21stC up as an example of what is wrong with the system.

What I would say is that there is something wrong with a system that requires companies to go to foreign lands to have their product made as an everyday matter of course.

I would say that 21stC was never terribly well managed to begin with, their distribution and delivery never that good, their production spotty and unsure (relying on foreign nationals) and apparently there just haven't been enough sales to keep them afloat with whatever competition they have had.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:15 am

Yep, I'd say that about summed it up nicely.

Jeffrey
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:37 am

Thank you.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:16 am

Itchy:

Yes, all my Dauntless pre-order money was returned awhile back when it looked like we would be waiting ANOTHER year and I said, enough is enough.

We did wait as long for the Avenger as the Dauntless....... maybe the Dauntless will set the record but still, most of us toy guys are patient. I usually wait when a new toy comes out to see reviews as to quality and accuracy and price. The key is accuracy.

I've been waiting now, for over two years for a Hasbro 1/6 half-track to come up at a eBay decent price.

Now, back to watching for the 1/18 G-4 Mercedes in black....... patience.. :wink:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:18 pm

It is one thing to wait for something to come out, something else to wait for something you have paid for....

I bought a case of 21stC Panthers, 1st Series, from my local hobby shop several years ago. $15.00 a piece, including tax. They were due in the following week. Then next Thursday. Then next week. No, Thursday, well, maybe next week. This went on for three months. I had paid half up front and was getting tired of what I considered to be a run around.

Then the store changed managers. The new guy was lost. Had to check the records, another week. Finally I went in and just asked for my money back.

So happened that the tanks had come in that morning. I didn't care. I told them to send them back. The new manager took a look at them and realized that the first order to come in on his watch was going back, and he cut me a deal. Ten bucks a piece. I took them.

DropTank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by DropTank » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:17 pm

I would greatly miss 21st if their demise comes to pass. While I griped about some of their products and decisions, I think without them around, there will be a void I'm not sure others can fill. You can't display or hang promises. It will be a sad day, but we will move on.

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:02 am

sdcc73 wrote:
Jay wrote:If this is actually the "end" for 21st. Maybe the owners of 21st will try and recoup their cash by selling the moulds to another company. If they get liquidated, they'll want to get every little bit of money they can. It's ironic that 21st needs cash, while badcat can sell old 21st planes for a crap load (if they are actually selling). Maybe they could do a "all proceeds will go towards financially restructuring the 21st company" sale :roll: .

On another note, and this is towards Jason from admiral toys. "It's your time to shine!"

Agreed. I'm responding to all this doom and gloom - by way of action - herein my humble little act supporting the new 1:18 product; the aptly named Dauntless. I'm putting my money where my mouth is, hoping 1:18 as a whole; stays alive. Hopefully all of you concerned enough to have just contributed to an admirable 2,000 views on this thread alone, will follow suit with some action. My gosh, just these folks who just clocked 2,000 views can contribute to AT's sell-out of the Dauntless and thus give us the Skyraider shortly thereafter. So even small efforts can snowball, even when things go downhill. An avalanche of our support and sudden show of sales; can send a clear message - we're not leaving 1:18 anytime soon. Such compelling support and sales can more quickly get us new product; e.g the Skyraider, the Phantom from either which company, etc. So let's all do what we can by way of action. Whether its 21st Century or Admiral Toys; the latter of who may likely carry the torch determined to keep 1:18 alive.

Dauntless - adjective; showing fearlessness and determination.

http://www.militarytoyshop.com/prodtype ... istory=cat
Odd how my brainwaves work in its mysterious ways. Only 12 hours after I posted the above; on my own small act to rally all to uplift 1:18 - with action. Cool Toy Review made this post, below, that very same day. Their link below is an "Insider's View" on why toy companies are closing down left and right. It reiterates my quote above. If we show no consumer confidence and no collective determination to buy, manufacturers simply won't make it...

Dauntless - adjective; showing fearlessness and determination.

TO ALL WHO ADMIRABLY MADE THIS THREAD EVER STRONGER NOW WITH 3,000+ VIEWS, SEE THIS ONE "INSIDER'S VIEW" TO REALLY SEE WHY TOY COMPANIES ARE SHUTTING DOWN http://www.cooltoyreview.com/story/fron ... 121851.asp

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:18 am

McFarlane is the last house anyone should be taking advice from. Other than Halo and Sports Picks ( i guess those are still popular, even with all the corners they've cut with the line) they've been striking out hard. Multiple canceled in-house lines, a complete blindness to the fact no one but retailers and themselves thought that Guitar Hero figures were a good idea, among other highly questionable licensing choices.

They aren't in 21st territory, but if someone over there doesn't pull his head out of his kiester it'll be simply a matter of time before the straits are dire.

I mean, how the hell do you tank a Hanna-Barberra line?
I Tan I Epi Tas

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:16 am

So when do we get the 21C Obituary?

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:16 pm

After we've cleared the shelves.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:43 am

I am getting email notifications for this thread but the link directs me to a page that says the tread does not exist. And there is nothing new here since my last post either.

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:52 am

Unless I'm going nuts both Coreystinson and I posted on this thread, but now the posts are gone.

?????

Maybe I'm mistaken...

Jeffrey
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 am

Well this time the email did connect to it. But still, weird

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:04 am

ltcbj wrote:Well this time the email did connect to it. But still, weird
Yes, you are weird, but that isn't the point.... :P :lol: :lol:

BTW, I think you are spot on with this comment..
I would say that 21stC was never terribly well managed to begin with, their distribution and delivery never that good, their production spotty and unsure (relying on foreign nationals) and apparently there just haven't been enough sales to keep them afloat with whatever competition they have had.
No truer words have been spoken.. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:16 am

I still have no idea why they chose some subjects and left out others. No ground/support crew or vehicles for planes (thinking of "playset" ideas) yet hey, let's make a group of SS soldiers...that will go down well!?
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:50 am

hworth18 wrote:
ltcbj wrote:Well this time the email did connect to it. But still, weird
Yes, you are weird, but that isn't the point.... :P :lol: :lol:

I am shocked and hurt by this scurrilous personal attack by a fellow forum participant.

Our entire society is crumbling with this loss of politesse and failure of social contracts.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:52 am

:o :arrow: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :arrow: :roll:

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:19 pm

ltcbj wrote:
hworth18 wrote: Yes, you are weird, but that isn't the point.... :P :lol: :lol:
I am shocked and hurt by this scurrilous personal attack by a fellow forum participant.

Our entire society is crumbling with this loss of politesse and failure of social contracts.
Huh?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:27 pm

Good. I accept that as an apology for referring to me as "weird." Thank you for your abject prostration. Subject closed. Problem solved.

Now if 21C only made 21::1 scale giant models they'd be, clearly, too big to fail and would be receiving much, clearly, needed bail out money. Even if their entire management was fired by the government.

Actually. Their production and distribution was very government like. Too much where it wasn't needed. Too little where it was.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:30 pm

i deleted a bunch of posts because there was some political commentary, yet again. I also deleted posts that prompted the political commentary, so it wouldn't be repeated.

Next step will be to lock the thread if it happens again.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...