POST AVENGER FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:32 am

That's why the wingy thingys fold back. hehe. 21C spent a lot of development on those hinges, so they want you to use them.
I have no doubt that this is part of the reason it is twice the price of all the other XD planes.... that complexity comes at a cost. Not a complaint per se, just an observation.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:32 am

Thats it, put me in the rubber room I am having Avenger withdrawls. :)
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Comments

Post by Teamski » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:34 am

Flytiger wrote:Being wary of plastic hinges on a complex wing hinge with an already bad reputation, I'm reluctant to experiment with somehow "locking" the wings in to the folded position, at least in part because I won't be displaying it that way. The photos in the instructions simply don't match up with what I now have.
I've had no problems with the wing folding on mine. It is the best design I've seen so far, and I'm not concerned with breaking it like the S1 Corsair. It's pretty robust. You just need to pull outward to clear the 2 pins underneith the skin. Once those clear, then the wing will fold back right away. Keep pulling in the direction of the fold and you will hear the other pin click into the lock. It's not a powerful click, so no worries on snapping anything....

Oh, and make double sure you have the flaps retracted before you fold!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:48 am

Tmanthegreat, which WM's have you been to. I was in the one in Temecula yesterday and nothing but 109's, and Corsairs. Are you in this area? Going to the one in Lake Elsinore in the morning. Just like to know which ones you've been to so I could look at others and let you know if I find any. Are you farther north than the L.A. area?

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:18 am

Teamski wrote:A comparison shot.......

-Ski
Great Shot Ski!!!

Can't wait to find one. All the pictures that I've seen posted so far show that this is truly one sight to behold in 1/18 scale.

On another note, that picture is definitely worth more than a thousand words in more ways than one. Don't think there are any more excuses for some large aircraft to not be done. I can see an A-10 (as well as others) not being a problem to do now. If you add an inch to each wing of the Avenger, you have the A-10's wingspan covered and the A-10 is shorter in fuselage length than the F-104 by a little over a foot (which translates into about an inch in 1/18 scale). And no complex folding wing.... :wink: :D

I think the Avenger is more than just a beautiful and amazing release for our hobby. I think it is a ground breaker for better things to come. Hopefully no more "box" limitaitons that limit projects. I can definitely see A-10s, Me-110s, F-4s, and such in our future now.

Great release and great hope in one.

Go Ugly Early in 1/18 scale!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:01 am

I got MINE Yeah! (Atlantic) Had to ask the asst Mgr to get a ladder, and he seemed un-impressed when I mentioned we have been waiting 3 years for this.

I am hoping the etailers will still get theirs as I have 4 on preorder, but I plan to open this baby up. And I plan to send one to Dad.

The Palm Bay, West area WM has 3 left on top shelf in Toy area. Don't know if anybody is in the Melbourne Cocoa area.

Did any body notice the 2003 copyright on the instruction sheet photo posted here?

Dave

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:56 am

A question to those many of you that have found the Avengers:

As far as you could tell, had the stores already organized & restocked themselves for the holiday season? I've heard about stores doing that all across the country, and its is being done (or has yet to) at the stores in my area. I am just trying to figure out as to why these have been seen in bulk in some cities (both large and small) and not in others despite a record advance across the country.

I'm about ready to go hold up a store in my area with my pellet gun, demanding they stock Avengers or else... :twisted:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:05 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:A question to those many of you that have found the Avengers:

As far as you could tell, had the stores already organized & restocked themselves for the holiday season? I've heard about stores doing that all across the country, and its is being done (or has yet to) at the stores in my area. I am just trying to figure out as to why these have been seen in bulk in some cities (both large and small) and not in others despite a record advance across the country.

I'm about ready to go hold up a store in my area with my pellet gun, demanding they stock Avengers or else... :twisted:
It didn't look like it at the store I went to. None of the 3 WM's in my AOR look like they reset. All are pretty bare including the one I got the Avengers at. That store did have the BoB2 figures and the Duel sets as well, something the other 2 didn't. The only thing that I can think of is the proximity to military bases, as was discussed before. The Virginia sightings are within a pretty close distance to Langley AFB and Norfolk NSY. I know that some past releases never made it here, or were really late to show. So, I couldn't start to guess the pattern except that of military base proximity.

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:10 pm

A question to those many of you that have found the Avengers:

As far as you could tell, had the stores already organized & restocked themselves for the holiday season?
Not that I can tell, at least not in any of the 4 or so WM stores that I recon on an almost weekly basis.
I am just trying to figure out as to why these have been seen in bulk in some cities (both large and small) and not in others despite a record advance across the country.
Walmart's distribution policies and patterns are a complete mystery to me, in the DC metro area I have no less than about 15 stores including several "Supercenters" within a 50-60 mile radius, and many of these have had the same stuff on the shelves for months at a stretch, even years in some cases, I mean nothing or very little in the way of new stuff. On the other hand, a very select few have been quite productive in the past 6 months with new offerings, go figure??
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:10 pm

Why can these things appear in the middle of nowhere in southern and northern California and I can't even find any over a large stretch of the middle of the state in places no less remote? WTF is up with Wal Mart?!? I mean, these are everywhere but where I want them to be and no prior release has done this. I'm on my way to So Cal tomorrow, and I may stop off at a few stores just to see what I find...

der Vogelfänger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Avengers are in WM

Post by der Vogelfänger » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:12 pm

Could one of you lucky dogs, who have already purchased your VERY OWN Avenger, please post the SKU number so that the rest of us might be able to enter "it" and find these babes in the WM system?! :cry: :?

Thanks,

dV
du doch nicht!
Kennst du mich noch?
Luftwaffe-a-holic!!!

Unsere Mannschaft muß einfach gewinnen, und
plötzlich, Weltmeister Zwanzigvierzehn! (WM2014)

Danke Jungs!!

KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:14 pm

The SKU # 063874810181
Kurt

der Vogelfänger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Avengers are in WM

Post by der Vogelfänger » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:08 pm

KWR190,

THANK YOU for the SKU number!

dV
du doch nicht!
Kennst du mich noch?
Luftwaffe-a-holic!!!

Danke Jungs!!

Sgt. Fury
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sgt. Fury » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:46 pm

I love the TBF-1 Avenger and can only totally agree with those posts praising same. I want to applaud 21st Century for having the grapes to put this plane on the market (regardless of source) by the end of July. I imagine at some 21C board meeting, someone said "Go, we cannot wait any longer. The market is getting really frustrated. Go!"

I believe the screw plugs, the wing navigational lights, the antenna hole, the propeller insignias, and some QC problems (really minor in nature) were tabled in favor of this "Go" decision.

I believe the etailer may have had problems with the details inasmuch as customers might have felt that they did not get the pick of the lot, resulting in more frustration with the etailer and product disappointment. A large retailer like WM affords the collector a selection of the plane from an ample (for some) supply. This choice reveals that there is really not much difference between the best example and the imperfected.

I hope that 21C does address the screw plugs, the wing navigational lights, the antenna hole, the propeller insignias, and those QC problems and perfects the TBF-1 Avenger to the level it deserved.

Now that we have the torpedo, how about an Italian or British WWII "Chariot" set with two divers. Greed, it never stops.

Bring on the perfected S2, S3 and S4 Avengers!

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:18 pm

I love the TBF-1 Avenger and can only totally agree with those posts praising same. I want to applaud 21st Century for having the grapes to put this plane on the market (regardless of source) by the end of July. I imagine at some 21C board meeting, someone said "Go, we cannot wait any longer. The market is getting really frustrated. Go!"
Really frustrated is a understatement!

I did something this evening I haven't done since 2001. No not that! I have actually taken a 21C plane out of it's box and gasp cut the wires.

Ok, the radio guy just goes in through the side door? And the bubble comes off I've read.

My wing control surfaces are extremely hard to move so I won't mess with them.

Now, those who have theirs, do you notice a little outside influence on the control panel?

Are most of the screw holes plugged on other 21C planes?

Now for S2 version, with an added electric motor and sound chip :D

Only complaint, no propeller on the torpedo :P

DH

MK
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MK » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:33 pm

tman,

Not that this helps, but from your north, they are getting closer. Turlock Walmart has two of them as of tonight. I was tempted to buy one so I can fix my broken tail wing, but I had the wife with me and she said Crazy Glue is cheaper... :evil:

:D

MK

der Vogelfänger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Avengers are in WM

Post by der Vogelfänger » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:38 pm

DH,

YOU CUT THE WIRES?????!!!!! Are you O.K.??? I saw a red flare go up from the East Coast of FL today, saw it all the way over here in Tampa. :lol:

Congrats on the purchase and report. Looking forward to my coast getting this bird, soon. How appropriate, the Atlantic scheme showing up on the Atlantic coast FIRST.

dV
du doch nicht!
Kennst du mich noch?
Luftwaffe-a-holic!!!

Danke Jungs!!

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:39 pm

Still no Avengers here in cajun country. :(
Paul Hebert

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:47 pm

MK wrote:tman,

Not that this helps, but from your north, they are getting closer. Turlock Walmart has two of them as of tonight. I was tempted to buy one so I can fix my broken tail wing, but I had the wife with me and she said Crazy Glue is cheaper... :evil:

:D

MK
That's good news! A boardmember from the Sacramento area is sending me one - lord knows I've more than paid for the shipping through the cost of gas driving all around :wink: I'm going to So Cal tomorrow and will stop at some stores along my way, just to see what they have. Can anyone from the LA area give a comprehensive report of where they're being found? From the sound of it, its more the eastern side and further south...

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:19 pm

Well most of the WM in the area seem to be in a store reset and I went to my normal one, for some actual food, not expecting anything as they just stocked Stukas and Corsairs a week or so ago.

And there they were! Next will be to read the instructions and mess with the wings.

Now Flight 19 with the cute little Aliens.

DH

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:22 pm

Done!! I installed the pitot tube in the correct position.....

-Ski

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:39 pm

if anyone wants to super detail their Atlantic Avenger here's a nice article to show how:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/article ... enger.html

I wonder who's going to be the first to hinge the torpedo bay doors properly....should be a fairly simple mod.

I don't think the mk 13/14/15 torpedos the Avenger carried had a little propeller on the nose. Just the impact fuse.

http://www.microworks.net/pacific/armament/mk13_air.htm

I dont think you can use the Avenger's torpedo for an Italian human torpedo. Those were 21 inch torpedos and i think the Avenger's is only 18 inch, quite a bit smaller. Regardless of diameter it is just way too short.

http://www.missionmodels.com/product.ph ... 300&page=1
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:42 pm

Hit the Walmarts tonight for an Avenger recon, an again no luck. I was so bummed I bought some of that "HEAD ON" And I did apply it directly to my forehead. :D
Paul Hebert

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:31 pm

Does it work? lol
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]