POST ALL A.T.'s ME-262 DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:54 pm

Chunks you gave him a liposuction. ROFLMAO :lol: :lol:
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:06 am

Whoa, careful there, I don't need any malpractice lawsuits!! :D
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

sarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Pilot

Post by sarge » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:29 pm

Jason of Admiral Toys wrote:
VMF115 wrote:Is it me or does that pilot need a shot of prune juice, :lol:

How ever its a nice custom job!!!
8)
:lol:

Nice custom. I think we are going to leave pilots out of our next releases. :shock:

Regards,
Jasom
Pilots are only there to show in a rough way what they were supposed to look like. As every one has noted none of them from any one are really good. Each has to modified and custom painted to look half way decent. At least the include one for us to fool with. I prefer accuracy in detail over what a pilot looks like. With these models being so big what they have and don't have stands out. The only two items wrong with mine were no screw caps on the wing screws. (Jason is going to correct that) and the yellow stripe is the wrong size, needs to be bigger. I'll wait and see if AT comes out with a modified version or a solution to this problem.
Speaking of accuracy I guess everyone has seen the ME262B 21C plans on coming out with. I realize it's still in the infant stage and alot of work probably is still needed. But what I noticed was the lack of the 16 flare holes on the mid port side of the fuselage. They were a must for all German night fighters, especially the vulnerable 262. Have a good one. Sarge

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:26 pm

As I said in the Jason Interview Thread I have been trawling through all of Jason's posts to try and find his hint. As I had not had been overly interested in the Sabre (got to draw the line somewhere) I had not before read many of these posts and had totally missed Jason’s reference to QC issues and posts.

So Jason sorry for having brought up a QC issue in this thread, I will attempt to contact your customer service department via email about the wobbly wheel.

From now on I’ll just have to read all the posts so as not to miss anything :)
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

demonclaw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by demonclaw » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:49 am

Got mine today , its really amazing

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:25 pm

Jason

Just to let you know that I have sent off an email with images attached that detail my Me 262 QC issues to AT customer service (ATCS).

I do not expect any kind of response here all and do not expect a response from ATCS until after the holiday season, this is just an FYI posting to let you know that it is in the system incase you wish to see the QC issues fisrthand.

Other than the above let me again thank you for such an excellently presented model, as the Me 262 has always been a favourite of mine.
SPUD

Timbo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Timbo » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:03 am

What kind of problems do you have with your 262 Spud?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:42 am

Spudkopf wrote:Jason

Just to let you know that I have sent off an email with images attached that detail my Me 262 QC issues to AT customer service (ATCS).

I do not expect any kind of response here all and do not expect a response from ATCS until after the holiday season, this is just an FYI posting to let you know that it is in the system incase you wish to see the QC issues fisrthand.

Other than the above let me again thank you for such an excellently presented model, as the Me 262 has always been a favourite of mine.
Hey Spudkopf,

What was wrong with your ME-262? Mine was missing the screw covers on the wings and main landing gear doors. The plane was otherwise in decent shape considering that the box was trashed by UPS during the shipping over the Thanksgiving weekend.

AT said they'd replace my plane as soon as the new ones came in. I think those have come in now, according to their website, but AT's been pretty quiet lately... I'm confident they'll pull through however and will continue to wait patiently :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:27 am

Timbo / T-man

As mentioned on the page 16, the right hand main wheel has a bad buckle, so that it is either jammed hard against the gear leg or when rotated 180° canted out at an odd angle. At first I thought the cause was the possibly a bent axle but having had closer inspections since then I am now of the opinion that the wheel hub itself may indeed be to blame.

There is also an issue with the finish of the trailing edges of the wing tips, especially the right one.

However I quite sure that AT will address all my concerns in due corse, sorry to Jason though as I have contributed to the 99% of the 5% mentioned on page 14.

Other than the above I am very happy with the rest of the aircrafts overall finish and presentation and it is a product Jason and Co can be justly proud of.

As an aside, due to some inspiration from lsc1002, I have also purchased two Stuka Pilots from eBay, one of which is going to have his jacket colours reversed so he will be wearing a black leather jacket with a fleece collar, the oxygen mask and goggles of the Stuka pilot figure for me also look the part, I may also be painting some rank bars on the arms and adding some chute straps to complete the jet jockey picture.

Any way it's now 26 minutes into Christmas here so to all the very best of the season and I'm hoping that there are large plastic filled boxes under all your trees, Merry Christmas and Good Night.
SPUD

Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fitzystigertank » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:37 pm

I got a 262 for xmas and have found nothing to terrible about it.
first my swastika stickers would not peel off accidently ripping them.
I'm also having the same prob as a member is having with one of his rear landing gear. Mine doesn't seem to be that bad where i would want to return it.
Oh my pilot figure fits just fine. unfortunalty his control stick came off.
The one thing that really disapointed me was that the front landing gear doesn't steer. but now that i look at it closer i'm glad it doesn't cause this is the second plane i own with a front landing gear. my other plane is a p38 and the landing gear on that model is alot thicker then the 262.
i can't think of anything else, i like the detailed gun racks. that'll be all

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:55 pm

Where is Jason and the AT staff? I've tried calling them (during normal business hours and adjusting for the time zone difference) with no response regarding my ME-262 QC issue. I got responses from both Jason and the AT customer service in late November saying they'd replace the plane (which came in a trashed box and missing the wing screw covers) as soon as the next shipment came in. Guess they're on Christimas break (and I wouldn't blame them for that :wink: ) however I hope they carry through with their earlier promise :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:52 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Where is Jason and the AT staff? I've tried calling them (during normal business hours and adjusting for the time zone difference) with no response regarding my ME-262 QC issue. I got responses from both Jason and the AT customer service in late November saying they'd replace the plane (which came in a trashed box and missing the wing screw covers) as soon as the next shipment came in. Guess they're on Christimas break (and I wouldn't blame them for that :wink: ) however I hope they carry through with their earlier promise :D
Don’t worry he will Along wit working a huge amount of hours trying to get all the Me-262’s out on time for Christmas and getting ready for toy fair, he has been real busy, busy like Santa Claus, not to mention getting stuff ready for next Christmas. :wink:
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Timbo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Timbo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:26 pm

Well as much as I like AT and their aircraft I have to say I'm a little disappointed at the moment. I just drove 230 miles round trip to pick up my second Me-262 and I just opened it up and found out that I’m going to have to send it back. The first screw hole cover closest to the nose was inserted at about a 45-degree angle and glued in place so that half of it is sticking out. Not only that, all of the screw hole covers on the fuselage have damaged paint around them from where someone was sloppy with the glue. This is my third AT aircraft and the second that I will have had replaced.

Jackson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Jackson » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:49 pm

Timbo wrote:Well as much as I like AT and their aircraft I have to say I'm a little disappointed at the moment. I just drove 230 miles round trip to pick up my second Me-262 and I just opened it up and found out that I’m going to have to send it back. The first screw hole cover closest to the nose was inserted at about a 45-degree angle and glued in place so that half of it is sticking out. Not only that, all of the screw hole covers on the fuselage have damaged paint around them from where someone was sloppy with the glue. This is my third AT aircraft and the second that I will have had replaced.
Hell I think it all comes down to cheap labor in China, not so on the ball chinese QC people which is evident in all the toy companies in the world. AToys,21st and BBi all have their defects and flaws but on the whole put out a good product considering where they are made. I say let the Germans do it and we know they will be tits on 98% of the time- that aint gonna happen, maybe if these companies would move their manufacturing back to the states and use all the "CHEAP MEXICAN LABOR" we have they could keep up on the QC issues. Seems to me that mexicans will work as cheap as chinese..... TJJ 8)

digger

?

Post by digger » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:34 am

tmanthegreat wrote:Where is Jason and the AT staff? I've tried calling them (during normal business hours and adjusting for the time zone difference) with no response regarding my ME-262 QC issue. I got responses from both Jason and the AT customer service in late November saying they'd replace the plane (which came in a trashed box and missing the wing screw covers) as soon as the next shipment came in. Guess they're on Christimas break (and I wouldn't blame them for that :wink: ) however I hope they carry through with their earlier promise :D
Remember Jason said they would be taking some time off? I think a little patience is in order. Also the 2d shipment just arrived. While I'm sure you're high on their priority list I would also imagine they have other things to do concerning the new shipment.

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:02 pm

G'day All

I received my two Stuka Pilots yesterday and here is how the first dude looks once his jacket has been converted to black leather.

From the outset I always considered the Stuka crew to have great custom potential and for me he now looks like a Luftwaffe fighter pilot, if not more accurately a little bit like a Night-Fighter pilot.

I was thinking of adding a ring of flares but then I remembered the Me262 has a flare ejection system in the rear fuselage and thus this would not be necessary for my pilot .

However I still have to add the parachute and seat harness straps to finish him off.
SPUD

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:18 pm

Looks great! I'll have to give it a try. Looks much better.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:25 pm

quite a difference....i never understood why it was white in the first place. Is it even accurate that colour?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:31 pm

very uniform paint job, what did you use?

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:29 pm

A-MAN I have seen pictures of Galland wearing a light suede leather or maybe sheep skin type jacket that had a dark fir lined collar so I guess the short answer could be yes.

CW4USARMY the paint Job I just separated all the upper torso parts and then sprayed them individually with a Gunze flat black spray can, although my preference and what I would recommend for this kind of application is a spray can of Testors flat black. The reason I suggest Testors over Gunze on this occasion is that the Gunze goes on a tad thin and requires several coats where as the Testers sprays give a much thicker and more robust coating with a single coat.

The collar was then hand brushed with some diluted Tamiya Acrylic Buff XF57, and the belt hand brushed using by memory Gunze Mahogany H84 but any reddish brown to simulate leather will do.

The lower portions of the pilot figure was left untouched as the colour are already quite good IMO.
SPUD

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:50 pm

the only problem with using Testors is that it has a tendancy to not dry properly and stay tacky on some plastics
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:13 pm

Andrew is very correct, and this is especially true with soft plastics, I had no end of trouble with some Dragon hands I was using on 1/6th V2 Clone Trooper. Unfortunately for a lot of people Testors is the only paint that they have access to. If you do use Testors just spray say the one upper arm section first to see how it cures (you may have to wait as long as 24 hours for this to happen), If it does stay tacky then even a mild solvent like Methylated spirit (Surgical Spirit) is able to remove all traces of it with out effecting the plastic.

Take it from me try to avoid over spraying a Testors spray coat with Gunze spray coat, and what ever you do, DO NOT however tempted you may be by the price or by the availability, use those big non modelling style spray cans, as on this type of plastic (again with the Clone Trooper) it will never cure correctly.
SPUD

Timbo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Timbo » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:26 pm

It doesn't hurt to give your figure a good soak in some water and dish soap before you paint it either.

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:55 pm

Great hint Timbo, I meant to mention this one above also but I got distracted, washing of the plastic to remove the silicone residue left over from the ejection process is considered modelling SOP and good practice for any model painting.

Methylated Spirit makes a good silicone remover also..... Ahhh it all takes me back to my 1/32 scale Airfix figure collecting days of my youth.
SPUD

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:05 pm

G'day All

After burning far to many hours trying to sculpt a decent looking parachute harness for my 262 dude (one of which IMO was looking pretty good until it crumbled when I tried to attach it to the pilot well after midnight), I have to admit to a temporary defeat, however I still do have some other ideas to pursue on this front, but this needs more thought and time than I am prepared to give at present.

And so as usual I've had to resort to a Plan B.....

The new approach is a bit of a soft option as it involves taking the crutch and torso from a Fw190D pilot and combining this with the head, arms, legs and hands of my Ju87 pilot. As I have no spare pilots other than the two Stuka dudes it was a bit of a tough decision to make as now this Dora pilot has to wait until I can nut out a new custom harness for him.

The harness sculpting of the Dora pilot is really quite good and blends well with the Stuka pilot parts, as you can see I have added the lower portion of the parachute harness to the Stuka thighs to complete the melding. Below are images of the results, (My apologies for the low quality of the images as I did not have my own camera at hand and the lighting was very poor as well).

Talking Fw190D pilots (I think these are also the Me109G pilots), have these pilots ever been made available separately as a carded item? Or if anyone out there has spares that they no longer need and wish to dispose of by sale, trade or free to a good home, please let me know, as I my intention is to eBay for more Stuka crew (Pilots and Gunners) to create some more custom Luftwaffe crew members.
SPUD