The little or no interest in a 1/18 A-10 Thread

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

Would you buy a 1:18 A-10 if it came on the market? If not, Why?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:38 am

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 36

Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:40 am

As long as our dilegence brings us the A-10, to each his own.

:wink:

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:26 pm

Here are some pics I took of a 1/48 scale A-10 and a 1/48 scale F-18. The pictures give a good size comparison of the two aircraft.

[url]
http://community.webshots.com/photo/432 ... 2761PIXhmZ
http://community.webshots.com/photo/432 ... 2579DgKlwK
http://community.webshots.com/photo/432 ... 2382UgGceZ

:D

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:44 am

The A-10 is more "massive" bulk wise then the A-10 and the wingspan is larger but they both appear to be the same length. I think it would be possible to fit it in the same box as the F-18 but it would be a tight fit. Thanks for the photos Birddog now I have an idea of how much space to leave for it when or if it is ever made.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

wise690
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by wise690 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:51 pm

Wingspan isn't much of problem. As for the fuselage, 21st did a pretty good job breaking the f-104 down from the in box pics i've seen. Im sure the A-10 would probably be able to fit into the F-18 box. It would fit in easily if the rear section (behind the engines) were removed, and the engines removed, if they had to. The A-10 isn't to much bigger than the F-18 from the pictures Birddog took. Thanks for taking those pictures by the way, very good way to compare the size.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
General George S. Patton

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:39 pm

My thoughts exactly Wise. Only I don't think the engines would have to be removed. If the wing disassembly point was made just outside the main gear pods on each side, the engines could be left on the fuselage. When you look at the A-10's profile from above, you can see the engines don't protrude out past this point. From the side profile the engines are well below the height of the vertical stabilizer on an F-18. The F-18's vertical stabilizers were left on in the package. Plenty of room there. From calculations I made, the width from one main gear pod to the other is just under 13" for a 1/18 scale A-10. So if the box is wide enough and the tail section (vertical stabilizers and horizontal stabilizers) is disassembled, it should fit. If not I can't see the packaging being that much bigger. Each remaining portion of the main wing would be about the length of the F-18's main wings. At least that is what I've figured.

:D

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:17 am

:lol: ...... :D

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:00 pm

Okay guys I've lost two pounds I'm at 218. Now let me clarify I'm not starving myself to death but I thought this would be a great time to put myself on the diet and excercise program I've always wanted to go on. I'm sensibly eating and doing more walking now, and it seems to be working. Its a challenge to see how far I can take it until an A-10 does comeout.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:56 pm

I'm doing something wrong, I've only lost a pound. :shock: Must strive harder. :D

fredricchio
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by fredricchio » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:35 pm

A pair of A-10s flew past my dorm window on their way to the campus airport earlier today, it was so cool! I didn't even know military aircraft came through here. Anyway it just reminded me of this thread so I thought I'd share :)

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:43 pm

Teamski wrote:
wise690 wrote:The prototype looks perfect. You can easily get 2 or 3 paint schemes out of it, and the roll your own as others have mentioned. :D :D :D I don't really want the zero, but it came when everyone was wanting it. Hopefully the A-10 will come. Who ever makes it, it will be awesome and the best aircraft ever made imo. :D :D :D
I talked to Roy about the prototype A-10 back in February. He mentioned that the model you see in the photo was poorly put together. You don't see a lot of issues with it in the photo. If 21st were to put out an A-10, a new model would have to be done. The A-10 prototype was completed before Roy got involved with the company.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/127 ... 4956RloaPA

All I know is that it would be one heavy SOB!! No problem, I'd just double-up the fish string!

-Ski
Seeing that the prototype is pretty flawed and has to be redone, I'm willing to do Roy and 21st Century a BIG favor by taking it off thier hands. No reason to thank me guys it is a sacrifice I know but we all have to give for the cause. Just give me a call and I'll tell you where to send it.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:51 pm

Hey now, fair is fair, let it go for auction on the board. That way all of us get a shot at it.... :wink: :D

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:56 pm

To late Birddog I already called "Dibbs!" so .......... :P :P :P :P

By the way the Bible says "Though shalt not covet thy nieghbor's A-10"

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:57 pm

Not to worry about it, I think we all will get to have our own A-10s one day..... keep our eyes on the prize....:D

me122172
Corporal
Corporal

Post by me122172 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:35 am

Have you guys stoped to think that both companies are watching this thred, and they are both wondering if the other company has "really" started developement on the A-10. Therefore their logical conclusion is to not compete "head to head" (on a first release) with a company that has proven itself without seeing what the other company has to offer? My opinion is that your desire for this model is having the adverse effect on BBI and 21st.

They both were working on the A6M2/3. If you think that BBI came up with a prototype of an A6M2 in two weeks after 21st released their intentions of producing an A6M3, I would say you were wrong. Now the talk on this board is that 21st might delay or forget about the A6M2/3.

This is the lesson learned by each camp: "The more they want a model the more likely it is our competition is going to release it; therefore, lets wait and see what comes out in the next couple of months."

I really think that this board of some 400+ is a slight factor when producing thousands of models, and the technical evaluations in determinig which model to produce. There are so many determinations that factor into the companies decisions. That being said, as explained above, it is my opinion that threads like this hurt our cause for an A-10.

But let this be said..... Bring on the A-10 :D

Oh Ya, I have no respect for a man who can spell a word only one way 8)

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

re

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:12 am

me122172 wrote:Have you guys stoped to think that both companies are watching this thred, and they are both wondering if the other company has "really" started developement on the A-10. Therefore their logical conclusion is to not compete "head to head" (on a first release) with a company that has proven itself without seeing what the other company has to offer? My opinion is that your desire for this model is having the adverse effect on BBI and 21st.

They both were working on the A6M2/3. If you think that BBI came up with a prototype of an A6M2 in two weeks after 21st released their intentions of producing an A6M3, I would say you were wrong. Now the talk on this board is that 21st might delay or forget about the A6M2/3.

This is the lesson learned by each camp: "The more they want a model the more likely it is our competition is going to release it; therefore, lets wait and see what comes out in the next couple of months."

I really think that this board of some 400+ is a slight factor when producing thousands of models, and the technical evaluations in determinig which model to produce. There are so many determinations that factor into the companies decisions. That being said, as explained above, it is my opinion that threads like this hurt our cause for an A-10.

But let this be said..... Bring on the A-10 :D

Oh Ya, I have no respect for a man who can spell a word only one way 8)
I dunno man...21st did make an A-10 prototype...yea I know its probably trashed by now but nonetheless they did show what they could pull off at the time, so in that case BBI knows what to expect in terms of competition.

BBI seems to be more of a risk taker....coming out with modern jets while 21st only has 1 so far.

My money would be on BBI making an A-10.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

me122172
Corporal
Corporal

Post by me122172 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:32 am

I think you are right. I would put my money on BBI. They seem to have the resources to get things done.

It is known that they own their own manufacturing plant. This, you would think, would greatly lower the cost of production for their products. In turn this allows them to take greater chances. 21st on the other hand is going through an independent manufacture and does not have the ablility to change avenues or designs as quickly.

By the way, do you guys think that Roy (at 21st) actually designs these models or is a CAD machine designing the prototype and Roy just signs off on it? If you think about it, a master modeller is not needed to compare a "CAD file scribed prototype" to one of the many books that document the design of each of 21st and BBI's aircraft. :D

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:23 am

I don't think this thread is going to hurt the possibilities of the A-10 being produced. Both companies are producing aircraft the other is doing or has already done and each is doing quite well with them. No one here believes that they made a Zero in two weeks. We all know how development processes are. BBI had been working on the Zero for over a year (since mid 2004). They saw the demand for it partly because of mediums such as this board. It was discussed about alot here. Talking about what we want here does help let them know what our interests are. If the aircraft will make them money, they're going to make it plain and simple. I'm sure we will see an A-10 from someone.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:30 pm

Figure i'll add to the drooling with some A-10 photos ;-) From May of this year at the Planes of Fame Airshow...

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:10 pm

For some reason I have the urge to go to my local Hooters.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:18 pm

She's sooooo beautiful.........makes me want to cry.... :cry: .....how could anyone not want to have an A-10 in their 1/18 scale collection to support their troops. An F-16, F-18, F-14, F-4 for close air support......naahh.....tooooo fast......got to have the Warthog......she may be slow and she maybe ugly to some...but she gets the job done. Look at that gun....... :D

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:29 pm

I have to admit, she is pretty. When I was a little kid, I used to tell my dad (he flew F-86s and F-100s) that I would only grow up to be a fighter pilot if I could be an A-10 pilot. So, yeah, I want one.
Aaron

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:36 pm

Quixote511 wrote:

I have to admit, she is pretty. When I was a little kid, I used to tell my dad (he flew F-86s and F-100s) that I would only grow up to be a fighter pilot if I could be an A-10 pilot. So, yeah, I want one.
Aaron

That is the only way I would have been a fighter pilot too......got to be a HOG driver!!!! :D

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:20 am

Is it me or has the barrel sleeve on that GAU-8/A been chromed?! :shock: That is soooooo cool! This must be a demo bird. P51, got any more info on this Hog?

-Rob

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:25 am

Ah Ha, I think I see in the second photo the answer to my question. Do I not see an A-10 Demo West insignia in the pilot seat????

Very cool pics P51. Thanks!

-Rob