Merit Booth in SDCC 2010

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

tomcat

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:37 pm

Greetings

This is a total disgrace for them to do that. It shows they have no respect or value to the people who buy their products. The knew that the paint job was garbage, they knew the landing gear was garbage, and they did nothing to fix it. All this company did was lie to the retailers and the prospective customers, then put the retailers in a difficult position when they didn't deliver the item as promised.

Also do not forget all the F-14's that shipped with broken parts, missing parts, same parts, etc. Almost every F-14 had a problem coming out of the box, every one. That is unacceptable, period. And for them to offer this, and give away free weapons loads without offering the pilots, new landing gear, etc. It's just absolutely disgusting.

The Spotcat may be old news for some. But when you spend $220 for a plane, to have it fall apart on you. Then spend another $220 for another one in addition to getting it fixed, you're more than a little pissed off.

Sorry JSI, no F-14 for me, I just don't trust you.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

toyktdlgh

Re: Then and Now. Lol!

Post by toyktdlgh » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:55 pm

King O' Fools wrote:May I remind your own post on this page?
toyktdlgh wrote: So basically all sales are final when it comes to Bad Cat and the F-14. Nice cop out. I feel for those who aren’t privy to the paint fiasco and try to return their spotted cat.

That was then.

This is now:

"It wasn’t till after the spots were disclosed and after many preorders had already been made that the no returns policies went into effect. After that all buyers knew exactly what they were getting. "

So which one is it gonna be — you "feel for those who aren’t privy" or "all buyers knew exactly what they were getting"? :?
You're reaching there buddy. :roll:

But you are right about that comment. I was referring to those who are not members of this forum and who did not get the low down from here. Everyone here knew what they were buying. I’m kind of excited that I made you waist all that time trying to dig that up. :D
Last edited by toyktdlgh on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:55 pm

how you liking the f-86?

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:16 pm

toyktdlgh wrote:You're reaching there buddy. :roll:

But you are right about that comment. I was referring to those who are not members of this forum and who did not get the low down from here. Everyone here knew what they were buying. I’m kind of excited that I made you waist all that time trying to dig that up. :D
Actually, I saw it the other day when I was partially re-reading that thread looking for Merit's appeal to some mysterious magical layers of paint:
:: JSI US Navy VF-84 Jolly Rogers Fighter Plane Updated: 11-20-09!

After posting the production pictures of the coming 1/18 "Jolly Roger" on our website, we have been receiving many emails and phone calls. We thank you for your concerns and very happy for your constructive criticism to make sure the JSI turns out a great product.

The "Leopard spots" in question are just one of the in progress pictures amongst over 1,000 steps during the production. These "Leopard spots" are actually on purposely made darker at the stage when the picture is taken and will gradually or magically look lighter in color after more layers of paint be sprayed.

Please stay tuned to our web site for the transformation.
Again, we thank you for your support!
I just thought your memory lapse was funny. :P

SierraMikeBravo
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SierraMikeBravo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:24 pm

If people want to rant, let them rant. I personally, am not going to forgive and forget and bend over and kiss Jim's a$% just because people think its "old". It amazes me how many people are willing to do just that. Rather disgusting if you ask me, considering how JSI (namely Jim at this point) refuse to address the past and present issues, and reopen old wounds and rub salt in them by acknowledging the problems in this latest release without ever publicly apologizing for the first release. Probably pulling the company line. However, if that is the way it's gonna be, fine. Fool me once...etc., etc. The least they could do is apologize and offer as a replacement, the sturdier landing gear offered on the new release. But alas, I am sure it won't happen which speaks volumes as to the kind of companies Merit/JSI are. It always helps if a group of people can show solidarity; there is strength in numbers. If we decide that bickering amongst ourselves is the way to go then JSI wins. All I can say at this point is buyer beware. Don't get suckered in by how "pretty" the pictures look, or the fact of "I haven't gotten anything new in 1/18 in awhile so I need my plastic crack fix". My two cents.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:57 pm

King O' Fools wrote:
I just thought your memory lapse was funny. :P
I’m not having a memory lapse buddy. You’re digging in the wrong backyard. Nothing you have quoted shows me flipping on anything. Even if I did, that post was from over 6 months ago. Events change and people mellow out. Obviously you haven’t.

SolidSnakeEyes
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by SolidSnakeEyes » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:18 am

So much for a thread, with the intention of providing useful convention information.
I looked at the trap, Ray.

-- Dr. Egon Spengler

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:48 am

grunt1 wrote:I agree with the most recent comments. The spotcat, while still a painful memory, is old news. I'm very happy that JSI didn't give up, took another crack at it and appears to have gotten it right. That bodes well for the future.
Me too.

I don't mind people bringing it up from time to time, but when it seems to pop up in every thread it really drags down any other discussion and in turn spoils the forum.

Anybody else make it down to SDCC?

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:53 am

Greetings:

I think what may have upset some folks in this thread is that quite a few people seemed to have had a case of memory loss from the Jolly Rogers fiasco. All of a sudden a new version comes out with improved landing gear and paint and we are suppose to get on our knees and kiss Merit's feet for providing this. We are also suppose to forget how they royally screwed over the people that bought the first plane just because a new version came out and we can buy that.

There are a lot of people angry with Merit. The recollection of the events is accurate. Merit promised time and time again that the Jolly Rogers version would be fixed paint wise. Then the story became the later in the production run, it would be fixed. Then came the fact many of the ones shipped had broken parts. Finally, as if all the previous events were not enough, almost mercilessly, the gear buckled and broke on many of the Tomcats. All this after many people spent $230-$250 plus shipping for this aircraft. Sorry to all the folks here if those of us are bitter, but we have every right to be. We felt cheated, and the worst part of it was all of the retailers said no returns. I'm not sure if they were under pressure from Merit or themselves, but it made for a very ugly situation.

If Merit was going to do a new version, that's great, all the power to them. But in fairness to the debacle with the first version, the LEAST they could do would be to offer people who bought the first version the option to buy the replacement gear or the weapon package. That would at the very least have soothed some sourness of this situation. But instead, they just come out with S2, praise about the upgrades to the model, and leave the rest of the people in the dark.

As someone else put really well, I'm tired of seeing people just bend over and take it just because a company has something new in 1/18. I'm glad for new product too, but it has to be good new product. This buying stuff to help a company, buying it because it's there, buying it to keep the scale arguement has gotten old. The quality should be there from S1, the customer service should be there from S1. After spending more money than I should have to get S1 just looking normal and getting a good one, I'm sorry Jim I just can't afford to buy your S2.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:08 pm

Coreyeagle48 wrote:Greetings:

I think what may have upset some folks in this thread is that quite a few people seemed to have had a case of memory loss from the Jolly Rogers fiasco. All of a sudden a new version comes out with improved landing gear and paint and we are suppose to get on our knees and kiss Merit's feet for providing this. We are also suppose to forget how they royally screwed over the people that bought the first plane just because a new version came out and we can buy that.

There are a lot of people angry with Merit. The recollection of the events is accurate. Merit promised time and time again that the Jolly Rogers version would be fixed paint wise. Then the story became the later in the production run, it would be fixed. Then came the fact many of the ones shipped had broken parts. Finally, as if all the previous events were not enough, almost mercilessly, the gear buckled and broke on many of the Tomcats. All this after many people spent $230-$250 plus shipping for this aircraft. Sorry to all the folks here if those of us are bitter, but we have every right to be. We felt cheated, and the worst part of it was all of the retailers said no returns. I'm not sure if they were under pressure from Merit or themselves, but it made for a very ugly situation.

If Merit was going to do a new version, that's great, all the power to them. But in fairness to the debacle with the first version, the LEAST they could do would be to offer people who bought the first version the option to buy the replacement gear or the weapon package. That would at the very least have soothed some sourness of this situation. But instead, they just come out with S2, praise about the upgrades to the model, and leave the rest of the people in the dark.

As someone else put really well, I'm tired of seeing people just bend over and take it just because a company has something new in 1/18. I'm glad for new product too, but it has to be good new product. This buying stuff to help a company, buying it because it's there, buying it to keep the scale arguement has gotten old. The quality should be there from S1, the customer service should be there from S1. After spending more money than I should have to get S1 just looking normal and getting a good one, I'm sorry Jim I just can't afford to buy your S2.

Well said.
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:25 pm

I think the new JSI F-14 tomcat looks great!
the fact that JSi listened and did correct their mistake is a huge Plus!
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:48 am

grunt1 wrote:I agree with the most recent comments. The spotcat, while still a painful memory, is old news. I'm very happy that JSI didn't give up, took another crack at it and appears to have gotten it right. That bodes well for the future.

ditto that
whats up doc....

NSA
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by NSA » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:43 pm

SolidSnakeEyes wrote:So much for a thread, with the intention of providing useful convention information.
We went.

OurWar figs were on display, same basic display they showed @ Weekend of Hero's in June.

They had "FINAL" OurWar sets for sale for $50, I picked up one set (7 figs) and will hopefully review them soon.

They SHOULD be widely available in a few weeks from your normal eTailers (not sure about smalljoes though)

No new figures on display. F-14 was on display and on-sale at the booth. Most of it was 1:6th scale stuff they were showing.
The Fighting 1:18th
"The Web's last, best chance to BS without BS!"
http://www.fighting118th.com

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:31 pm

NSA wrote:
No new figures on display. F-14 was on display and on-sale at the booth. Most of it was 1:6th scale stuff they were showing.
Thanks for the update. :)

Interesting that 1:6 is what you saw more of ... was it like this in the past?

I remember seeing 21c at Wondercon back when the Spities were about to retail and being blown away. 1:18 was hot back then.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:35 am

NSA wrote:
SolidSnakeEyes wrote:So much for a thread, with the intention of providing useful convention information.
We went.

OurWar figs were on display, same basic display they showed @ Weekend of Hero's in June.

They had "FINAL" OurWar sets for sale for $50, I picked up one set (7 figs) and will hopefully review them soon.

They SHOULD be widely available in a few weeks from your normal eTailers (not sure about smalljoes though)

Hi NSA,

The "Final" Ourwar sets you've mentioned, are they different from the set of 7 released earlier?

Any updates on the JSI carrier flight deck crew and vehicles?

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:03 am

GOUCHY:

The JSI F-14 flight deck crew went AWOL with the JSI F-14 pilots. :roll:

NSA
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by NSA » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:26 am

gouchy wrote:Hi NSA,

The "Final" Ourwar sets you've mentioned, are they different from the set of 7 released earlier?

Any updates on the JSI carrier flight deck crew and vehicles?

I'm not sure, I assume it's the same basic figures, some of the packaging labeling has been changed (Says for Ages 15+ now, as adult collectible).

I had heard reports that the ACU camo was rubbing off on some figures, but hadn't been able to confirm it. I'm still unpacking, but I *HOPE* to have a proper unboxing/review done on some of the figures this week. Again, hopefully before they are widely available online so people can get info before they buy.

I know Merit had a couple sets flown in via Airmail just for SDCC, and they came in the Tieka OurWar shipping boxes.. so they look "retail ready". So we'll see.

As for 1:6th.. Merit's always been a big distrobutor for 1:6th stuff, and they've always had it on display/sale at every Con I've seen them at, so it's not surprising I suppose. They had JSI 1:18th for sale as well, Tigers and Corsairs and P-38s etc, but the only 1:18 on display was the OurWar and F-14 (probably because they are the only thing new out there).

Otherwise at SDCC there was painfully little in 1:18 news.. the new G.I. Joe stuff was pretty cool looking actually, with some neat accessories.. but that's about it sadly.
The Fighting 1:18th
"The Web's last, best chance to BS without BS!"
http://www.fighting118th.com

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:19 pm

dragon53 wrote:GOUCHY:

The JSI F-14 flight deck crew went AWOL with the JSI F-14 pilots. :roll:
Rats... bet they're passed out drunk somewhere in Hong Kong, where's the 1/18 SPs?

NSA wrote:
I had heard reports that the ACU camo was rubbing off on some figures, but hadn't been able to confirm it.
Thanks for the input NSA, I do seem to recall my figs were a little sticky too when removed from the packing, especially around the flexible rubber waist flaps, didn't wanna mess around with it too much after that as I felt the paint may rub off

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:17 pm

Anyone have pics from Comic Con? Also, in regards to the Spotcat, that was a bit of a screwjob. I think it is great that they have improved the second release but they have left a huge group of upset customers behind because of basically lack of communication. In my business if you make a mistake you apologize and do what you can to correct it or make it u to the client. I think the thing is that Jsi/Merit never even acknowledged the problems and tried to just sweep it under the rug.
Todd

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:00 pm

Doc,
That's one of the main reasons why I'm pissed off at JSI and Merit. No apologies or even any sort of humility to those of us that pre-paid that couldn't return the merchandise. Nothing but a spotted, screwed up mess.

I can't even begin to imagine the blowback in the R/C hobby industry if something like what occurred with the SpotCat ever happened.

Merit Internationa and J.S. friggin' I, are you listening??? Or do you want us to bow down and drool over your new should-have-been-fixed-in-the-first-release-model?

I swear, I'm almost done with this hobby. The vapourware (ala Admiral Mosquito, SBD, 21c Phantom) and dirty tactics, bullpucky and taking customers for granted and a bunch of fools is leaving me on the very edge of dropping this 1/18th collecting entirely.

Off to order my 1/350 USS Nimitz...
Last edited by NWarty on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:51 pm

DocTodd wrote: I think it is great that they have improved the second release but they have left a huge group of upset customers behind because of basically lack of communication. In my business if you make a mistake you apologize and do what you can to correct it or make it u to the client. I think the thing is that Jsi/Merit never even acknowledged the problems and tried to just sweep it under the rug.
Yeap, rubbing salt in open wounds. It still gets me that Merit put out a bold reassurance statement about the spots in the production model pictures, but could not hold it up. And til this day still hasn't own up to that statement.

I only bought the spotcat figuring they would move on with different schemes. Instead they came back and revise the first release that should have been done right in the first place, should've, could've, nope.