Bad Cat is Crazy

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:50 pm

Isn't it nice not just to speculate and only rely on hearsay?

The majority of human history is based on speculation! There is only a few thousand years of recorded history out of the thosands of years of human existance and everything else is speculation. Since we are speaking of WWII, where would the military have been without speculating about who was where, what were they doing, and what would their reaction be to certain events. Makes no difference if you are speculating about the existance of a supreme being or the color of a tank, if we depended on hard evidence for everything, we wouldn't get very far would we? So no, its not that nice to not ever speculate on the color of armor in WWII, especially since 99% of all photos are in black and white. If someone wants to make all of their decisions based on hard evidence, they are probably not going to make many decisions.

norman888
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by norman888 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:57 pm

I would think at this point in the war the germans might have a tough time finding/using air guns to paint and just used brushes/rollers/rags etc. A hard-edged scheme would definately have more camo power in an urban setting also.
AMERICAN_GRENADIER wrote: Times were really tough on those guys after the war.
Some of my uncles did not get back to Austria until 1950; after being captured by the Soviets in 1941.

bananapirate
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bananapirate » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:06 pm

norman888 wrote:I would think at this point in the war the germans might have a tough time finding/using air guns to paint and just used brushes/rollers/rags etc. A hard-edged scheme would definately have more camo power in an urban setting also.
This makes the most sense by far, the camo definitely looks like it was done by a paint roller

1:18 Guy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 1:18 Guy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:04 pm

Yeah Bad Cat is crazy, maybe it's just a mistake I made or is it really ten dollars to ship the swastika decals for a 21st Me 262 night fighter? Seem like a little much for decals? is there some other place that has them that I don't know about? :?: http://www.badcataviation.com/mehicodefor1.html

MG-42
Officer - Brigadier General

[+] > New JSI Panther ?

Post by MG-42 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:14 am

[+] > It'd be nice to have a Panther w/ zimmerit like the FoV Tiger though. 8)

......... I really do like the late war paint scheme of this new Panther , considering the zimmerit on JSI's proto-type w/ this scheme is completely incorrect. :wink:

* I was just making a joke about how some might feel the scheme is quite garish in appearance. :D ... I think it's really cool. 8)

............ "we need something different". * :wink:

- Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:25 am

I dont think the stripes were a bad pattern at all. I'm a Sailor and I have seen many ships with camo applied and depending on the angle you are looking at, sometimes you really cant tell exactly what you are looking at. I know a ship is not a tank but angles and light remain a constant. Imagine looking through a fog and trying to determine the best spot to hit the enemy and you cant tell its front from its back.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:34 am

aferguson wrote:that hard edged camo is really odd to me. Why waste time and effort making it hard edged? Adds nothing to the camouflage ability of it. If it were some sort of urban camo then i could see hard edged being an advantage, to blend in better with the corners of buildings and the straight edged shadows found in urban places. But the colours on the panther were dark yellow and green...not of much use in an urban setting.
I think for the most part, it's because they had started to use stencils when applying these types of camo in the factory. Unlike in the past where camo was mainly applied with a spray gun and compressor, and was done randomly.

And as for the viability of a hard-edged camo scheme...I dunno how effective it is, but there are a lot of modern armies that uses hard-edged camo schemes on their armoured vehicles.

Since the main objective of camouflage on a tank is not to make it invisible, but to break up its shape, I guess it worked fine.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:44 am

hotrodrock wrote: The majority of human history is based on speculation! There is only a few thousand years of recorded history out of the thosands of years of human existance and everything else is speculation. Since we are speaking of WWII, where would the military have been without speculating about who was where, what were they doing, and what would their reaction be to certain events. Makes no difference if you are speculating about the existance of a supreme being or the color of a tank, if we depended on hard evidence for everything, we wouldn't get very far would we? So no, its not that nice to not ever speculate on the color of armor in WWII, especially since 99% of all photos are in black and white. If someone wants to make all of their decisions based on hard evidence, they are probably not going to make many decisions.
*shrugs*

Speculation is one thing, but making an educated guess with some very good evidence to support a hypothesis is another.

And...you do realize that there are still samples of original German WWII paint colors that can be found today, right?

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:55 pm

norman888 wrote:I would think at this point in the war the germans might have a tough time finding/using air guns to paint and just used brushes/rollers/rags etc. A hard-edged scheme would definately have more camo power in an urban setting also.
AMERICAN_GRENADIER wrote: Times were really tough on those guys after the war.
Some of my uncles did not get back to Austria until 1950; after being captured by the Soviets in 1941.
my grandafather was luck to be captured by the British. we was from the Ukraine so he was treated alittle diferent than the german SS
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Many ad hoc alterations

Post by parrish333 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:30 pm

On the subject of AA guns being pulled by tanks or strange paint schemes:

I always find it funny when the experts come out and declare that some reported instance of something never happened because they can't find it in some reference book or manual.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and in wartime troops try all kinds of crazy things, and often come up with some great solutions. WWII in particular was so enormous - millions upon millions of people all trying to do whatever it takes to save their own skin. Sure, sometimes overbearing rule-mongers would have prevented certain oddities, but many troops had ample opportunity to improvise all sorts of things. For instance all of the strange Sherman variants/modifications - some of which were cooked up by crafty midwestern farm boys who knew how to work with heavy machinery. And I bet there were dozens of others that didn't make it into the history books because the idea didn't work or did but didn't catch on.

So next time you hear somebody say, "WELL, such and such vehicles were NEVER given such and such modification at such and such place and time" just smile. A general rule is one thing, but saying that you're sure some group of troops out on their own didn't make some on-the-spot modification they claimed they did is probably much MORE speculative than saying they did.

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:38 pm

Whats the camo got to do with Bad Cat?

DH

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: Many ad hoc alterations

Post by GooglyDoogly » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:44 pm

parrish333 wrote:On the subject of AA guns being pulled by tanks or strange paint schemes:

I always find it funny when the experts come out and declare that some reported instance of something never happened because they can't find it in some reference book or manual.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and in wartime troops try all kinds of crazy things, and often come up with some great solutions. WWII in particular was so enormous - millions upon millions of people all trying to do whatever it takes to save their own skin. Sure, sometimes overbearing rule-mongers would have prevented certain oddities, but many troops had ample opportunity to improvise all sorts of things. For instance all of the strange Sherman variants/modifications - some of which were cooked up by crafty midwestern farm boys who knew how to work with heavy machinery. And I bet there were dozens of others that didn't make it into the history books because the idea didn't work or did but didn't catch on.

So next time you hear somebody say, "WELL, such and such vehicles were NEVER given such and such modification at such and such place and time" just smile. A general rule is one thing, but saying that you're sure some group of troops out on their own didn't make some on-the-spot modification they claimed they did is probably much MORE speculative than saying they did.
And I bet there used to be a Sherman there with a Tiger turret somewhere. :lol: Just because there's no proof of it ever happening doesn't mean it never happened, am I right? :lol:

Because you know, the necessity, mother of all inventions, etc etc etc.

Yeah thanks but no thanks. I'd rather listen to "experts" like Zaloga, Schneider, Jentz, etc.

Because thorough research helped us better understand history, and help toys and model manufacturers make better and better models.

Take a look at the difference between a model that was made 25 years ago, and a model built now. There's no comparing them when it comes to detail and accuracy.

21st Century used to only do "speculation" and "What ifs" toys. Like their Tiger, several early paint schemes, etc etc. Then they had Roy work for them, and their products got light years better.

So what do you guys like better? made-up stuff, or those toys based on actual history?

JSI should probably stop making new molds like the F-14, and just make a new plane out of existing molds, like a P-51GW Mustang with gull wings!

It's possible!

Or a Sherman with 2 quadruple AA (octuple?) mounts instead of a turret!

Or a 4-engined ME-262...imagine how sweeeeeeet that would be! hey its possible! The Luftwaffe was pretty desperate back then! You can't say it never happened!
:lol:

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:48 pm

^ Now you're just being silly.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:01 pm

I think GooglyDoogly got into some catnip.

J/K :lol:
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Many ad hoc alterations

Post by MCalamari » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:28 pm

GooglyDoogly wrote: So what do you guys like better? made-up stuff, or those toys based on actual history?

Or a 4-engined ME-262...imagine how sweeeeeeet that would be! hey its possible! The Luftwaffe was pretty desperate back then! You can't say it never happened!
:lol:
I like the historical stuff ... though a few what ifs aren't evil.

As for reconed stuff, I like the Polly P-40 from Sky Captain, not as much as I like historical aircraft.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:03 am

Funky paint scheme for sure.
Agreed. Looks more like "Recognition Stripes" than anything else. I guess if you just had to have a late war "expedient" kind of paint scheme for your collection it would be ok, but other than that I think I would pass on it.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Volksdeutsch
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Volksdeutsch » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:48 am

i looked in a few books and i was able to find a couple pictures of similiar paint scheme. i think its a great addition for a collection.

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:25 am

ill wait for it to clearance at WM
or monkeydepot -
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.