Without 1/18, will you go to 1/32 or 1/48?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
immeww2
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by immeww2 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:26 am

1/18 all the way for me!!!! If the scale dies, I'll fade away with it.

kduck
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by kduck » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:51 am

I only started collecting 1/18 recently and to be honest I'm already discouraged by the state of the hobby. I'm not interested in 1/18 planes because I simply don't have room for them so I've concentrated on figures. With the lack of 1/18 military figures and the crazy 21C distribution I've already started moving to 1/6. In just a few months I've already purchased quite a few figures. I'm not buying boxed figures though so I can spread the cost out over time while I acquire the parts I want. I'll still buy 1/18 figures but there is so much stuff that's available in 1/6 that will never be available in 1/18 that it's just too hard to resist. The lack of variety is one of the things about 1/18 that I'll never understand. When I first stated collecting 1/18 I was surprised to learn that the very figures that I was most interested in collecting aren't even available. Where are the WW2 Brits and why hasn't 21C reissued the Fallschirmjagers? From what I've been reading on the 1/6 boards when 21C was still producing 1/6 figures they prided themselves on producing stuff that no one else had released or probably ever would release. Why don't they do that with 1/18?

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:19 am

1/18th is very cool, but there is no arguing the price/variety/availability/space issues that plague 1/18th ( and are getting worse) are solved by 1/32nd. The more "give me 1/18 or give me death" guys the better as that leaves more 1/32nd for the rest of us. :wink:
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:17 am

Light.Inf.Scout wrote:1/18th is very cool, but there is no arguing the price/variety/availability/space issues that plague 1/18th ( and are getting worse) are solved by 1/32nd. The more "give me 1/18 or give me death" guys the better as that leaves more 1/32nd for the rest of us. :wink:
I do love 32X, however the only reason I don't collect it is because the figures are not articulated. If the figures had some type of articulation it would make it much more fun to collect. 1/18 is the most versatile line right now. I can see the appeal with 32X and have even bought a few pieces but my 1/18 will always hold that special place in my heart. :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:20 am

I hear you...I dont collect figures all that much, primarily tanks and planes. Articulation would be nice, I wonder how difficult it would be on a figure that size?
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

Obi2kenobi
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Obi2kenobi » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:26 am

Articulation is quite possible on 54mm figures. Check this out: http://www.conteco.com/Spartandetails.htm

I just ordered 4 sets.

Before 1/18 planes I was busy with Gi Joe, Star Wars and 1/72 figures, armor and planes, so I have enough to keep me busy. BBI is still making stuff and the quality is much better than 21st IMHO. I was looking forward to the King Tiger and I've been patiently waiting for the Admiral Dauntles, but I won't hold my breath.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:32 am

I already collect 1:32 and some 1:48, so the loss of 1:18, while sad, will not trouble me greatly :wink: Although I can understand limiting oneself to one scale, there were too many interesting products available in both scales not to warrant favoring one over another.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:48 am

I figure it like this, first off, these are toys and that being said I can tell you that I play with my toys. I have built quite a nice little army of figures to play with so as to keep me entertained for many years to come. If, if I say 21st goes the way of the dodo bird, then I still have a nice collection to tinker with. I hope that 1:18 military is around for longer, however I am prepared for that terrible day. :lol:
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:06 am

Wow, I asked for opinions and this board sure gave it to me.

I'm sorry some of you want 1/18 "till you die" since that is only posturing. I hope that is not the case for you guys. I know some of you who said that do dabble in other scales. "Til I die" says to me, nothing else will do.. :roll:

I really like 1/18, I think it is just great with vehicles. I have a few of my favorite planes and will always find room for something really special. Like a P-39, a P-61, a B-25, a Mosquito or Me-110. Really special to me like my Stuka, Me-262 and F-86.

I hope 1/18 continues and thrives, but if it goes away, I'll get my "special" fighters and bombers in 1/32 or 1/48 and my old favorite 1/6 for vehicles and figures. Life goes on.

We have a great hobby and I'm in it for the long term.....

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:01 am

1:48 is just too darned small for me. 1:32 is barely tolerable, and I do collect a piece here and there (but now that I think about it, nothing in almost two years). 1:6 is too big - started to collect in this scale about eight years ago, then sold most of it off (did keep a few select Vietnam figures) when I saw how quickly it was using up space.

1:18 is just right! If it goes away completely (which I doubt will really happen) then I'll probably pick up the rare 1:32 item. Anyway, with the slow down in 1:18 I've been enjoying what I already have (quite a pile of aircraft, armor, and figures, as I know many of you can relate to!) and also seeking out and reading some really great non-fiction books on everything from the early space program to Marine snipers in Vietnam.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:54 pm

Tinman wrote:1:48 is just too darned small for me. 1:32 is barely tolerable
My thoughts exactly. Maybe 1/32 bombers.....maybe. My theory is - if you cant buy it, build it. Plus I still have 1/18 racing cars to collect. Starting off as a kid with 1/72 stuff - 1/18 (in my opinion) is the next logical step (having done 1/72, 1/48, 1/32, 1/18 ).
:!: 1/18 till I run out of space, but hey - I can always move. :!:
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:55 pm

1/18th is the scale that brought me back into collecting military models. I collect all scales except 1/48th. If 1/18th disappears I will have no choice but to build scratch models of what I want. Like Aferg, I have enough stock to build customs for some time into the future.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

dcway
Sergeant
Sergeant

1/72 scale

Post by dcway » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:56 pm

I do 1/32 in a heart beat!!!!!!.........1/48 is too small !!!
I bought some 1/72 diecast A-10 's and was very impressed with the details !!!!! Butt the cost on them is getting rediculas ( crazy)...
The whole hobby is getting crazy.... better off going back to building plastic again..
Dana (dcway)

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:19 pm

It is 1/18 or nothing for me. It was the scale that attracted me. I built model planes as a kid but lost interest in them. I like having one scale now for all my interest. My cars, tanks,planes and figures all match. Not interested in having everything I collect spread out through 1/87, 1/76, 1/72, 1/43, 1/48, 1/35, 1/32, 1/25, 1/24. If they stop makin 1/18 planes, I will be happy with what I have. If they stop making 1/18th armour I may add some 1/16th. Haven't decided yet.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:22 am

Well I am a 1:18 guy at heart. Always have been! 32x just really really sucked in the Aircraft dept. in those first days. That old 32x mustang is somehow even worse than the first 1:18 mustang from 21C. LOL

But- Some of the new 32X releases have really shaken things up a bit. The Zeros, Veltros, and FW-190s are outstanding! I collect 32x recreationally but for me 1:18 is what gets me pumped up! It would be missed if it went away. Slowing up is fine, price increases in fine. Decrease in quality, or 1:18 going away IS NOT FINE!

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:56 am

OK, Here is my two cents worth!
I have always liked military vehicles having grown up as military ordinance brat! When I was a kid my favorites were the 1:90 scale Roco and Roskopf HO military vehicles, all of which I still have some 45+ years later. Stuff was easy to pack up and move. The wooden cigar boxes they are in are probably worth more than the toys! Also my Elastoln, Lineol, and Hausser Cowboys, Indians, Soldiers, or Knights all fought with or against each other (none of which I have anymore)!
I have never been a slave to scale! When 1:18 came along it was the right size and looked very nice! At the time I was buying 1:6 for my son who took an interest in the 1:18 and the 1:32 vehicles also! So I purchased 1:6 and 1:32 for him and 1:18 for myself which was actually for him but as long as he thought they were mine he took better care of them. I bought what I liked and so we have amassed a large collection of military toys! Whenever I found a deal........ loose collection on Ebay, Clearance, etc. I bought it! I think I am set for years to come! But I still buy new stuff because, although my son has lost some interest, I like it! I just try to keep it 1:18 or larger! The figures have the articulation and the vehicles have very nice detail!
You just have to remember whatever the scale, these are not museum pieces, they are toys, although very nice toys and much more detailed than the ones I grew up with!
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:58 am

Oops double post!

But since I still have the floor........

A very talented buddy of mine and fellow 1/6 collector (and shopping buddy) once commented about the complaints he used to read on the 1/6 boards about the lack of detail etc. he would say "It's just a forken toy!" I told him he needed his own web site and suggested he use his phrase which led to the creation of his web site, http://www.ItsJustAToy.com
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:47 am

Approaching 50 years of age, I've had many aircraft models. When 1/18 came out it I was finally excited about collecting again. Now that it's in decline. I can't find myself wanting to collect any other scales though there are many fascinating subjects. I can't mentally get psyched paying 50+ bucks for a smaller scale, it just doesn't seem worth it.

For the record though I don't truly believe 1/18 is dead. I'm sure we will see it again if not now then in a year or two.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by skypirate » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:12 pm

I have a few 21c 1/32 scale tanks. Some of them are O.K. and some of them are less than O.K. Lots of quality control issues.

Kind of tired of the german tank commander with his arms behind his back and the guy yelling. Would rather have a tank crew that looks like they're bored with traveling at less than 24 mph.

Something about the Forces of Valor weathering doesn't appeal to me. I guess it's the black paint in the seams. Maybe oil or grease, but I think it's just to contrasty and think dust, dirt, sand or powdered concrete would settle on it and take on a lighter shade.

I like Dragon's style and quality, but don't want to pay $80 for 1/32.

So, I'd pass on 1/32 and 1/48 and just continue my 1/72 collection. Maybe get a 1/16 scale R/C tank or two.

While I understand the limited production ups the cost a bit, it troubles me that I can get a 1/18 scale Batmoble for $35-$50. Free shipping.

warbike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by warbike » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:15 pm

I'm going to stick with 1:18 scale. The figures on the smaller scales just do not do it for me. I know the companies are trying to please everyone with various scales but I hope that 1:18 does not fade away or that new releases in that scale only come out every once in a while.
1:1 Kubelwagen metal kit build in progress.