Questions on the Bravo Team Tiger Quality...

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:35 am

These are kinda my idea of a dressed up tiger
She's a beauty, no doubt about it. :D I see no reason why someone with the skills and the time to invest couldn't turn the FOV Tiger into something along these lines. I think it's just a matter of time before a custom based on the FOV model shows up on ebay.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:25 pm

The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:37 pm

YOXFORD:

Great photos and great work.
Is the first photo a "before" or "after" of the FOV Tiger?

ChairmanMilo
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by ChairmanMilo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:39 pm

Yoxford, good work you're doing there! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Dragon53 - it's a progress pic - look at the bow plate, and how he's gotten rid of the ugly molded shovel :)

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:17 pm

Thanks for kind words,

These are build stage pics.
So far the biggest challange was dremmeling out the mg rail and the goofy molded shovel on the bow...and for some reason the grills and frames gave me fits but all and all not too bad.

still to do this week: the side tow cable & holders, periscopes, rear travel lock, extra wheels (should go smooth as I already have the wheels from my FOV parts Tiger removed), antenna & base, cut the side skirts (and bang em up a bit), holders, wing nuts, bits here and there, paint, decal, and weather.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by thehun » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:51 pm

Yoxford,
Looks like thats gonna be a dressed up tiger for sure, your off to a great start and it really looks good.
TheHun
Aka (TheWoofer)

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: Dressed up Tigers

Post by GooglyDoogly » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:40 pm

thehun wrote:These are kinda my idea of a dressed up tiger. :D

TheHun
Aka (TheWoofer)
Hen Long 1/16 Tiger I?

You did a great job on that!

thehun
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by thehun » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:04 pm

Yes it is, The others are 21st
Thehun

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:53 pm

YOXFORD:

I hope you took photos of the Tiger right out of the box so you post "before" and "after" photos.

A few weeks ago, I saw a Tiger at Target, but didn't like its looks in the box. However, the finish looks impressive in your photo #1. Did you make any changes on the paint scheme in photo #1 such as putting weathering on it?

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:13 am

dragon53 Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:53 pm Post subject:
#1. Did you make any changes on the paint scheme in photo #1 such as putting weathering on it?

Ooops...no I did not take any before shots...

As far as weathering, I have been doing bits here and there with some MIG powders just to see how it will turn out also I found a good match with the FOV base dark yellow, Humbrol (MATT 119) is a very close match...so I have used that with Humbrol red brown to "blend"

The results can be seen where the shovel on the bow used to be.

Dark green bands will then be shot over for the Normandy 3 color finish.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:06 pm

YOXFORD:

In photo#1, did you apply weathering on the zimmerit?

I'm asking because when I saw the Tiger in the box at Target, I thought the tank, including zimmerit, was shiny and needed weathering....is that my imagination or in photo#1, you put weathering on the zimmerit?

Also, apparently you researched the FOV Tiger paint scheme and confirmed it was used in Normandy? I remember in the FOV Tiger review, someone said the Tiger belonged to Witt's unit which agrees with what you said about Normandy.

I look forward to seeing your finished Tiger...and finding one at Target at a clearance price.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:43 pm

I don't believe that tank is supposed to be a "Normandy" tank. The Normandy landscape is quite green for a rotbraun/dunkelgelb camo be practical.

Plus the marking style itself....that's no S.SS.PZ.ABT. 101 marking.

The all white-outline markings looks similar to the markings of the S.SS.Pz.Abt. 102. But this tank doesn't have the Blitzrune marking on the hull.

The other heavy tank battalion that had Tigers in Normandy was the 503rd, but their Tigers does not have that markings, OR that camo style either.

The most well-known Tiger battalion that has that kind of camo was the 505th. But they fought in the Eastern Front.

MG-42

[+] FoV Tiger I [+]

Post by MG-42 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:03 am

[+] > ... Most likely a Poland 1944 camo-scheme for FoV T@RGET Tiger I .

* Just my 2- ¢ents , of course !

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:32 am

Dragon53,

Out of the box, the FOV tiger is sporting number 002, a figment of someone’s imagination as that tank never existed with the 101 in Normandy. All 101 tigers were in a 3 color camo (dark yellow, red brown, and dark green) mixed with anything from gas to old oil...thus shades were not very consistent, The 101 had long blotches of brown and green over the base of dark yellow. The 102 ss panzer division also had their own style with long waves of brown and green that almost covered up the dark yellow and as Googlydoogly pointed out the makings do not fit that division either. plus the FOV tank is sporting the 101 crossed keys crest.

As for the FOV dark yellow it is the Plastic not paint you see….yup they molded it in dark yellow and shot brown over it…so what I did was match the dark yellow and repaint, dry brush, blend and used poly scale flat finish and gave it a bath in it…. (Works better than Testors dullcoate and you can swab that stuff over everything)

I will be removing more of the brown and adding the green in the next few days. I always like to use brushes on Normandy camo as it gives it more of that applied “in the field” look…(ambush camo on the other hand always grab the airbrush)

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:44 am

YOXFORD:

Thanks for the info. The FOV Tiger brown/yellow paint looked odd for Normany which is why I asked. The green/brown/yellow paint you mentioned being in Normandy is the paint scheme shown on the Abrams box. I was disapointed when the actual tank had the yellow/brown paint instead.

Unfortunately, it appears the second FOV Tiger scheduled for later release will be all-yellow.----I was hoping for the green/brown/yellow.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:44 am

Yes there's no zimmert on the front deck slope - things like that can make one go screaming down the hall but the meds take care of that.
No need for extra meds...and please don't scream 8) The lack of Zim on the front slope is mostly accurate, so don't get worked up about it. Zimmerit was only applied to vertical surfaces and mostly done at the factory, so except in some cases where it was crew applied, Zim on the front slope is not accurate.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"