POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by dragon53 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:44 am

More JSI F-14 info from Badcat's blog:

Common 1:18 F-14 Questions

Everyone and their brother have been calling and asking about the 1:18 F-14. It's really good to see everyone excited about a new product again. We used to receive calls like this back in the 1:18 heydays (2005) so we welcome the enthusiasm. Here's some FAQ's:

1. Are you showing the final paint scheme on your website?

A. Yes, we believe so. However, these are distributor supplied pics of the paint prototype. We requested a production sample but haven't heard back.

2. When exactly will the aircraft arrive at my house?

A. We don't know, there are still too many variables that can happen. However, we are estimating to receive product at our warehouse sometime between Dec 8 - 18th, then shipping immediately at that point.

3. Why all the delays?

A. Almost every 1:18 release in the past has been delayed, too. This plane is the largest, most complex aircraft ever produced in this scale. It's only had 2-3 months of delays at this point, which is really pretty darn good, all things considered.

4. Will the price go up once the plane arrives?

A. Yes. If we have to load any surplus into the warehouse, finance it and store it, it will cost more.

5. Will there be a surplus, I don't believe in Preordering?

A. I don't think so, I'm predicting the entire load will be presold before the plane arrives.

6. Will they make pilots for this aircraft?

A. Yes. I believe pilots are in the works for Q1 2010.

7. Will there be another production run of the aircraft?

A. Yes, you can bet on that! However, we're told that this will be it for the JR scheme.

8. How many have you sold and how many more do you have left to sell?

A. Sorry. That's confidential.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:26 pm

I thought I remember seeing someone post what the "suppossed" production run on this JR Scheme was but can't find it. Does anyone know or did they see the same thread? I can't remember if it was 3000 or 1000.
Let me know if anyone has a clue.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:43 pm

Just got another voicemail from MTS.

The Tomcats are confirmed en route from China. Orders will ship mid-December.

Can't wait!!! :D

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:36 pm

NWarty wrote:Just got another voicemail from MTS.

Great News!! Thanks! :D

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:56 pm

NWarty wrote:Just got another voicemail from MTS.

yes
whats up doc....

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:29 pm

Rude F-14 buyers---latest from Badcat's blog:

"Badgering Doesn't Get Tomcats Here Any Faster
The staff, including myself, have been pounded throughout the week by people waiting on the F-14. The latest word is that they are being containerized as this is written. I'm not in China to verify this but this is what we have been told. The enthusiasm for this aircraft's release is great, but only to a point.

But one thing is for certain: Calling and badgering our staff or the staff at distributor Merit International will not get the airplanes here any sooner. I'm not talking about simple order inquiries, but rude, obnoxious, juvenile individuals. These need to stop. There have been a few delays on this aircraft, but not excessive ones in my opinion. This is to be expected with any new project, especially one as large and complex as this one.

We normally can shoulder a fair amount of amount of ridicule. However, the constant barrage of abuse via telephone and email is beginning to take its toll. We've always been upfront in explaining production updates and have never cultivated false hopes. I've published many progress articles including the one previous to this one that should answer 95% of the questions being asked. The product description on the website also is updated frequently.

All dealers should be receiving their Tomcat's at approximately the same time. Any retailer stating otherwise or claiming that this product is in stock is not being truthful. Before the next person calls to ream us out, I'd ask that they take a step back and remember that this is a plastic toy airplane, not heart medication or the closing documents on a real estate transaction. The 1:18 Tomcat will not change a life or a lifestyle. The plane will get here and be distributed as expediently as possible, whenever that date arrives."

digger

hmm..

Post by digger » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:32 pm

I feel for them, but I'm sure having ETA October for so long when they knew damn well the thing would never make it by then has something to do with it.. :lol:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:22 pm

with the delays we've experienced from 21c and AT in the past, you'd think collector's would be used to it. Compared to the grumman avenger and AT's no show dauntlass, a couple of months delay is n o t h i n g .
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:39 pm

I agree with aferg. The fact that this plane is coming only months after it was first announced is simply amazing. Yes the F-14 was most likely long in the works before we ever heard about it, but when compared to the 21c Avenger, we are not waiting long. October seemed too ambitious from the outset and the December release date fits with what was initially claimed by Merit and JSI when the F-14 was first announced. I'm sorry to hear that Badcat is having to deal with such negative behavior regarding the release of the plane...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:42 pm

I guess if the tomcats are not under the tree by Xmas, BC will have a riot on their hands :P

There are ppl out there who pay $ and expects $$$ worth of products and customer services by yesterday

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:32 pm

I asked this question earlier but no one answered, and I think I saw the answer somewhere but don't remember what it was -
What is the production run on this F-14 3000, 1000, etc...??
I'm debating getting a second one but if the production run is 3000 or more I can probably wait, if 1000 then probably need to jump on the second.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:52 pm

Even though I am NOOOOO fan of BadCat, they don't deserve that type of behavior from customers.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:09 am

did ya'll read this- off the BCA blog?

plus if b-cat will allow me to say so, jsi does custom tomcats. but it comes with a hefty price tag, round about $1500-1900. custom jobs include any scheme you want as long as it is a f-14a paint scheme for now. led lites is also an option. plus many other options. if interested contact sam at jsi ([email protected]). i myself am getting one and will post pics of it in a few months.
November 17, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterD. Williams

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:41 am

I would expect nothing less from BCA. They always stir the pot with their attitude toward collectors. Most companies would just swallow it and keep quiet. I wonder if these rude individuals will be making the black list.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:27 am

toyktdlgh wrote:I would expect nothing less from BCA. They always stir the pot with their attitude toward collectors. Most companies would just swallow it and keep quiet. I wonder if these rude individuals will be making the black list.

must be me

:blueangel: :blueangel: :blueangel:
whats up doc....

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Update from Badcat's blog:

"First Container of 1:18 F-14s Reportedly Inbound
In what is the beginning of a planned stream of inbound containers, the first 40 footer containing Tomcats has been loaded aboard ship and that vessel has left port enroute to Los Angeles. Additional containers are slated to depart Hong Kong throughout the week as this long-awaited aircraft is about to become a reality.

Why the stream of ships instead of them all being sent together? That's easy. The manufacturer and the distributor are moving planes and shipping immediately as production is completed. This is done solely for the consumers' benefit as it will put product into their hands asap. Waiting and holding until the entire batch is ready is SOP in most circumstances. But collector enthusiasm coupled with the holidays has the people at the top of the supply chain busting it to get the job done.

Also, our distributor reports they have now SOLD OUT. Allocations to retail stores are set-in-stone firm. Retailers will not be able to reorder once their initial supply is exhausted. The pace of BCAT Tomcat sales, however, has slowed during the past two weeks and we still have unsold inventory. Just how long these will last in the post Thanksgiving crush remains to be seen. Preordering with us now, makes it easy for everyone--and you'll avoid the price increase, too!
"

mosquitomania
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mosquitomania » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:18 pm

Wow, looks like we will soon get our Tomcats.
"Mossie Mike"

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:11 pm

Probably close to a month before we see them on our doorsteps. But just in time for Christmas :D

Ferrari250GTO
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Ferrari250GTO » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:59 pm

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Interesting! So that is how all our "toys" get made. A lot more hands-on than I would have thought. Is it me, or does the weathering on the F-14 have a spotty appearance?
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:03 pm

Is it me or does JSI have a thing for Dalmatians? It appears the weathering looks like some sort of McDougal spot pattern test for color blindness. Regardless that thing looks awesome! Wait I've noticed that the coloring on the Phoenixs missiles looks off. Quite a blue gray appearance. I know that for the late 80's through the 2000's Tomcats from most all the squadrons took on a blueish gray coloring and their missiles usually matched. VF-84's CAG and XO (the JSI one) were still in the previous era's gull gray coloring. I wonder if that meant their missiles were supposed to match gull gray? Either way this thing looks amazing!!

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:31 pm

Greetings

I'm pretty anxious for this one, looks so cool!

I've tried to contact MTS though to make sure my preorder was on the up and up and haven't heard anything. I sure hope it is. Do you guys call them to get a return response or do they just automatically do it?

Just curious.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Wow< those spots look terrible! Anybody know the purpose or is that their version of weathering :-(

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:42 pm

I'm no expert modeller, but don't you usually darken the middle of panels during pre-weathering? I'm assuming that's what the spots are - then you'd have another layer or wash over those to "soften" them up a bit. It still looks a bit overdone to me. Even the paintmaster pictures show a little too much "spottyness" in the middle of some of the panels, especially toward the rear.
That being said, I'll take whatever I can get though. It looks better than a bran spankin new one.

snake

Post by snake » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:46 pm

$1500-$2000. :shock:

That is really far too much to pay for a JSI Tomcat.

I don't think that they will sell many at that price.

$1500 to get it customized. :roll: