New Armor

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:54 pm

common guy, at least a trailer is a good idea as it brings diversity and this little AA piece can be a great addition to any diorama (if the ammo box are glued in the right way ! :wink: ).

I think we are expecting too much big things and so we don't simply enjoy nice little piece like this one. 21 Century have a business to run and they use already existing parts to create new one. So what ? Every manufacturer is doing this way. Just think this model does not exist in 1:35 scale and many model builder would be happy to have one made. We are lucky enough to have it so please guys, smile on the bright side of live and enjoy simple things :wink:

If someday 21 Century will offer us a GMC, I am sure all of you would be happy to have a Ben Hur trailer to put with it. Yes guys, a simple trailer... like the little one you seems to be disapointed about today.

We can be sure more big things are on the way so sit down and relax... and just think about all those other smaller things we could be happy to have to add to our collection.

phil

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:14 am

Rowsdower wrote:
Threetoughtrucks wrote:I am a little disapointed in 21C calling this "Armor". Technically it might have armor plate and you can call it "Armor", it was misleading and will lead to sour grapes by those guys waiting for a T34, Priest, Pershing or Chaffee.
That is exactly what I was thinking when I first read this. Just because it's olive drab and has wheels and guns doesn't make it armor.
Ditto, Armour has a real meaning. Wally World marketing has another. A trailer is NOT armour. However anything new is always welcome. Call me a jaded cynic, but it would be nice if 21c would provide what they've previously announced, along these lines (think pakwagon) before even more gets announced (think marketing, not actual results).
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

Jesse James
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Jesse James » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:02 am

I'd clump this in with artillery myself, which isn't unwanted, it just shouldn't have been promoted as armor... And I too feel a little mislead by that. Am I annoyed? eh, not really... I just am not looking at this and going ga-ga either. I really was thinking they were gonna roll out an armored car, or something small that actually had the term "armor" applicable to it. ;)

It's a good looking piece, I'll happily buy it... But I don't think anyone with a complaint is "out of line" or anything. Especially the guys who are big into ground stuff... Since the plane guys get their strokes pretty routinely in the hobby I think it's ok for the armor guys to look at this with a little bit of a sour tone if they want to. It's cool but it'd better slip in at a good price like I said. I wouldn't mind it with a 1.5 ton though, I never got any truck (not even a chance at getting them) save for the weapon's carrier... For some reason, moving muscle was just not common in my area. Weird.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

longrifle
Sergeant
Sergeant

Quad gun

Post by longrifle » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:09 am

I am very dissapointed................ I was really hoping for a T-34 or somthing with tracks......but this thing, sorry, I wont be buying one 21st.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:55 am

Yep disappointed, but I probably will get one anyway. Love 21C!

lablksmith
Sergeant
Sergeant

Just keep it coming...

Post by lablksmith » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:23 am

Just keep the stuff coming...keep it coming. Sooner or later we aught to get it all.

digger

trailer

Post by digger » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:36 am

Cool little piece, something different. I didn't expect a brand new tank so I'm not upset. Also it doesn't have to be towed to be displayed. Surely they weren't being towed when firing.

People used to say "make this and then from that you could make...." and now that 21C is doing it people are upset. We need to just lower our expectations..as I always say, if there is such a big market for 1:18 armor how come nobody else is making it?

Finally what's funny is that on a Joe board they predict it will cost a fortune, little do they know guys on this board would pay 6 times that for a random VN AAA piece... :lol:

FieroDude

Re: trailer

Post by FieroDude » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:44 am

digger wrote:
Finally what's funny is that on a Joe board they predict it will cost a fortune, little do they know guys on this board would pay 6 times that for a random VN AAA piece... :lol:
Yeah, but we're crazy :lol:
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:48 am

This new piece has a few uses besides having the quad mount in the bed. The trailer itself is very heavy duty, like the specialized trailers made to carry ammo for anything from a half-track up to tanks and artillery pieces..

It is too heavy to be used as a carrier of normal cargo behind a 3/4, 1 1/2 ton or CCKW........but to be used as an ammo trailer it has many posibilities for us groundpounders.....it can even be put to use is a dio next to a plane loaded with .50 cal, or light canon plane ammo.

OK, OK, so it's not a home run piece, but how many of us have been requesting "ordinary" pieces like trailers, cargo trucks (CCKW or even Ford or Opel),,,,,,just ordinary everyday vehicles that won the war besides the super star Sherman's, Pershing's, T34's or KT's or Stug's :wink:

Be happy.....the KT is comming.....and I'm sure somebody is working on a T34 :roll:

My pathetic use of a cargo trailer to carry the quad.....

I'm glad this new baby will replace it. :shock:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:07 am

Yeah, once you get past the "WTF, that ain't no tank" thoughts, its a cool little piece. I didn't buy the AA halftrack, so I'm in line for at least one there. At to it some customizing potential for the trailer itself.

Now, 21C comes out with a new truck to haul this guy, and that's a home run!
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by warhawker » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:10 am

This, to me, is a bit on the 'weak' side. With the pics of the new BBI Hellcat, 21st had to throw something out there.

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:23 am

21ST KEEP THE STUFF LIKE THIS COMMING! ALL THE BIG ARMOR NEEDS SUPPORT VEHICLES - AND AS SOON AS YOU DON'T MAKE THEM WE WILL ASK FOR THEM. YOU KNOW WHAT WE WANT - THE ONLY PROBLEM IS WE WANT IT ALL NOW. WHY AM I WRITING IN CAPS AND WHY AM I THINKING THROUGH MY TYPING - WEIRD.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:39 am

I love the new stuff.... just say i support 21st developement money for the future...

from my point of view... i can customize this in so many ways...

i buy two or three if the price is right ....

i need my anti aircraft guns... :P

hay is there a M113 with these guns... I still have a left over m113 i took apart to fix up my M1A1.. and i wanted to make this like the VN M113... any one has pic...
whats up doc....

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:06 am

did US tanks tow anti aircraft guns in the same way that many russian tanks did? Russian tanks would often tow aa guns in trailers behind them; the crew dismounting the tank and manning the gun if enemy aircraft were sighted.

Did Russians receive these quad .50's on lend lease?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:24 am

Aferg:

US tanks towed ammo trailers but not towed triple A like this, or any towed guns.

We supplied triple A to the Ruskies in the form of M15A1 White half-tracks (the absolute neat half-track with the rotating gun tub on the back with the quick firing 37mm AA gun with a .50cal on each side of the 37mm).

I can't find any mention of any quad .50's being supplied to the Ruskies.

TTT

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:58 am

Actually, it's not bad. Any piece that allows me to set up some figures is a good thing to me.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:00 pm

well it looks like the answers are no and no. No US tanks did not tow aa because there were motorized aa units available in sufficient numbers and no the russians did not receive the towed quad .50's.

They did however, get over 1000 M17's with quad .50's, which was the International Harvester version of the M16.

Here are some nice drawings of it:

http://www.o5m6.de/m17.html

Might make a nice, easy custom of the M16, to shoot down those peskie russian front stukas we've got. :wink:

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:14 pm

Sorry Aferg, my apologies for my incorrect info, my source was the same site you quoted. When I looked all I found was the 37mm AA with the twin .50.

The reason for US tanks not towing the quad .50 was the crew. The quad .50 had the gunner and at least four ammo handlers feeding the guns. Where would they ride, on top in all weather. Space on top of tanks usually belonged to the infantry squads assigned to protect the tank from those nasty anti-tank weapons in the hands of enemy infantry.

TTT

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:21 pm

??

Your answers were correct. I got additional info from missing-lynx.com.

:)

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:32 pm

Morian Miner wrote:Yeah, once you get past the "WTF, that ain't no tank" thoughts, its a cool little piece. I didn't buy the AA halftrack, so I'm in line for at least one there. At to it some customizing potential for the trailer itself.

I am still in shock and it aint no tank. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:17 pm

pickelhaube wrote:
Morian Miner wrote:Yeah, once you get past the "WTF, that ain't no tank" thoughts, its a cool little piece. I didn't buy the AA halftrack, so I'm in line for at least one there. At to it some customizing potential for the trailer itself.

I am still in shock and it aint no tank. :evil: :evil: :evil:
As I said in another thread, for how long on this board, in casual discussions, if it flies its "airplane", if its on the ground its "armor". So if 21C uses designations like its used around here, don't get mad because their new "armor" isn't a tank.

Eh, I guess we need something to complain about regarding 21C. After all, the Avenger's already been released :wink:
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:40 pm

hay does any one know when these comes out....the m14

hay guys petsmart has some pawlm tree for cheap 10 for talls one and 4 for short....

they are nice sorry for being off topic
whats up doc....

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:45 pm

I just thought of how 21c could better market this product...

The new M-17 trailer with quad .50 cal machine guns from 21st Century Toys!! Collectors are going to be all over these little beauties! Perfect for use in your SHAEF Headquarters diorama to keep those commanders and desk-jockys safe from the occasional marauding German aircraft :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:32 pm

I hope these things will not be priced at $29.00.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.