The little or no interest in a 1/18 A-10 Thread

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

Would you buy a 1:18 A-10 if it came on the market? If not, Why?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:38 am

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 36

Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:31 pm

I hear you there jerico, just give us an A-10!!!!

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:06 am

The votes are still climbing..... :D

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:16 pm

Now what would be a reasonable price for one? Badcat sells them for around $99.00 thier "List" price for the F-16 (the F-18 was not listed on thier site at this time). The clearance price is $69.00, I don't see this range as unreasonable for such a large aircraft. What would be the max you would be comfortable paying? I'd personally go as high as about 125.00. But that is me.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:03 pm

I would drop as much as $150-$175 for a nice 1/18 scale A-10. Of course, if the price were somewhere in the range of the F/A-18 it would make it easier to buy more than one. :D

-Rob

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:14 pm

I think that it would sell for around $80. I think that is a very reasonable price.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:19 am

I'd pay $125 or better. But I know that probably isn't an "accpetable price" in the market. It would have to be much lower.

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:22 am

The hudred dollar price range is not that out of the ballpark on this bird. I saw the Target cheapie for the first time yesterday and it just made me want a real one all the more. I think a real one would be well worth the money paid.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:12 am

Quixote511 wrote:The hudred dollar price range is not that out of the ballpark on this bird. I saw the Target cheapie for the first time yesterday and it just made me want a real one all the more. I think a real one would be well worth the money paid.

I agree. I don't think a $100 price tag would be unacceptable. Seeing how close they got with the Target version ,and at a $20 price tag, I can't imagine that a true 1/18 scale version can't be done for a $100 price tag or less. At least done to the same detail and quality of the F-16 and F-18.

me122172
Corporal
Corporal

Post by me122172 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:40 am

From reading the interview with Roy and many threads in these forums, I have come to the personal opinion that there is a limited market for the A-10 because of its size and cost considerations.

I am sure that there are limitations in both companies contracts with their respective mass-marketers for shelf space and price cap.

Therefore in order to recoup their cost of fabrication, tooling and production cost, including but not limited to insurance for their licensor, the famous 6% royalty cost and shipping, the retail price will be at least $85 which is not unreasonable. But the A-10, in my opinion, will more then likely be offered only through etailors and independent retailers not through their mass-marketers, because of space and cost per unit for the mass-marketers. Any retail price is scaled on the numbers produce. If they can sell "a very very large amount" the retail price could be very low, but, if you take out the mas-marketers they loose around 30,000 guaranteed sales and are now stuck with an uncertain secondary market. In this market they are going to have to sell X units to recoup their investment. It would be hard for me as a decision maker to sign off on such an expensive project and only have the secondary sales to pay for it. One big craps shoot for the decision makers.

All this being said, in my opinion, you will see the A-10 produced by only one company. Because of the limited market outside of the mass-marketing avenue it is not a safe investment of time and money; excpecially if the other company has already sold to a large portion of this secondary market. Yes I said it, we are a secondary market to these companies. They have sold their souls to the mass-marketers and jump when told to jump and in the air ask how high. :roll:

Therefore, if my speculation is based in reality, which one of the companies, 21st Century or BBI, would you rather see produce this impressive bird, the A-10. :?:

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:37 pm

I don't think any of us here has a personal favorite as far as WHO we want to see produce it. Now the question of WHO IS MORE LIKELY to produce it is another? It is my opinion that we have a better chance of seeing BBI produce the A-10. I'm in no way counting out 21st, they have a prototype already. As for BBI, one they have already tackled the modern line of aircraft with the F-18 and F-16. Both aircraft have sold well and the F-16 didn't even make it to those mass retail markets. From what we all have heard and seen the F-16 was sold only in those "second hand" markets. It is my opinion that since BBI has proven successful with both the F-18 and F-16 through these "second hand" markets, they should be able to do fine with the A-10 there also. It's my opinion that it is a sellable aircraft. It's size is not that much bigger than the F-18 and tooled the correct way I can't see why it would be sold at much of a higher price than the F-18. If the A-10 is done, I don't think that they will miraculously recover their cost in just a few months of it hitting the market. I do believe that sales "over time" will do this. I'm sure the F-18 and F-16 didn't become profitable overnight.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:23 pm

I agree that BBI is more likely to produce the A-10 though I wish they would put the level of detail on it that we've seen from 21st Century with thier latest creation the F-104. BBI does a good job but sometimes they make some very glaring mistakes like the paint scheme on thier Corsair (still though an excellent representation), the engine detail on the F-18 (not to mention the weak landing gear), the misplaced bomb shackles and incorrect decals on the P-51. In summary , personally I don't care who makes it. BBI will probably be the one to do so I think as well. But whoever does it I want it done right, if I can get that I'm willing to pay a higher cost.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:50 pm

The lack of detail in some areas and the small in-accuracies on BBI's aircraft I think are not that big of a deal. If BBI or 21st did the A-10 to the level of detail and accuracy that the F-18 and F-16 were done, it will be a great 1/18 scale plane IMHO. I know we all love accuracy and detail, but if a "little" (and I do mean a little) of that has to be looked over (on the same level as the F-18 and F-16 that is), I don't see a problem. Especially if it means that we get the A-10 in 1/18 scale. Please just gives us one!!!! :D

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:11 pm

Birddog wrote:The lack of detail in some areas and the small in-accuracies on BBI's aircraft I think are not that big of a deal. If BBI or 21st did the A-10 to the level of detail and accuracy that the F-18 and F-16 were done, it will be a great 1/18 scale plane IMHO. I know we all love accuracy and detail, but if a "little" (and I do mean a little) of that has to be looked over (on the same level as the F-18 and F-16 that is), I don't see a problem. Especially if it means that we get the A-10 in 1/18 scale. Please just gives us one!!!! :D
Oh I'd still buy one if produced at that level. What I'm saying though is if getting more detail equates to more cost I'd pay it.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:22 pm

Jericoeagle1 wrote: Oh I'd still buy one if produced at that level. What I'm saying though is if getting more detail equates to more cost I'd pay it.
I agree on that. I'd pay a bit more myself if that is what it took for more detail, but I will just be happy to see the A-10 done in 1/18 scale to the level of the F-18 and F-16. Just want an A-10 in 1/18 please. :D

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:32 pm

That auction on E-Bay for the Target A-10 is decieving people that it is true 1/18 scale. It is a terrible scam, but it is up to $131.00 and 10 bidders so far. That proves that there are people out there willing to pay a high dollar for a 1/18 scale A-10 other than those of us here.... :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultimate-Soldier-BB ... dZViewItem

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:48 pm

True, I wonder if any of them realize its the "Toy" A-10 from BBI. If they knew that and are still willing to pay that much I wonder what they would pay for the real thing.:shock:

Mike you noticing this? Humm? :wink:

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:54 pm

I contacted the buyers and informed them of the problem. I also told them about our website because I'm sure that if they followed this forum they wouldn't be making the mistake of bidding on it for that amount and thinking that it is 1/18 scale. Maybe this will give us some new members and more support for a 1/18 scale A-10. :D Hopefully 21st and BBI are seeing the price people are willing to pay for a 1/18 scale A-10.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:42 am

I got a response back from one of the buyers I contacted last night. Here it is:

Al Fenrich" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book
Subject: Thanks for the tip
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:11:01 -0800
To: [email protected]

OMG!! I thought it was some euro release

Glad they got the message. Now maybe a stop can be put to this sellers wrong doing.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:18 pm

I wrote the individual directly to ask if this was the "Toy" A-10, here is his reply.

As far as I know, it is 1:18 scale. The pilot is the same size as the ones for my P-47, F4U-1D, F-18 & F-16. Made by BBI, Elite Force series.

There is enough room in that reply to be totally non-commital to the truth or not and even if the pilot is 1/18th scale. My personal feeling is if he has those other aircraft as he claims he knows that it is not a "true" scale aircraft. There are more then enough photos available showing the size of the A-10 against other aircraft which make it easy to see just how truly big it is.

In other news, due to excessive binge eating over the labor day holiday, I am still at 217lbs. ...........sniffle :cry:

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:44 pm

I think it's a 'don't ask, don't tell' type thing it appears!

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:16 pm

Still holding strong here.... :D

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:08 am

Unbelievable, another (new) person bid on the item today!! I sent them an e-mail also telling them about the deception. This seller has no shame.... :roll:

digger

A-10s

Post by digger » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:18 am

A little OT but yesterday my need for an A-10 increased when after the National Anthem at the NYG game we had a flyover of 4 USAF A-10s!!! UNREAL. :shock: :D 8)

Birddog

Re: A-10s

Post by Birddog » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:18 am

digger wrote:A little OT but yesterday my need for an A-10 increased when after the National Anthem at the NYG game we had a flyover of 4 USAF A-10s!!! UNREAL. :shock: :D 8)
Not a bit off topic!!! BRING ON THE A-10!!! WE NEED AN A-10!!!

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:50 am

Maybe we'll be surprised and one of those hundred projects that Roy mentioned 21st working on is the A-10..... :D Got to keep the hope alive!!!!