88 gun still in the works?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:05 am

Some have stated that neither the 88 or KT will be sold at any big retail outlets but will be a limited release. If that is truly the case, it will make no difference if they release it in the wrong paint scheme first (ie the gray) because it will still sell very well in relationship to the small number produced. Being produced in mass quantities is a different story.

I still believe too many people disregard the fact that 21st sells other scales, which seem to do fairly well, and the release of a limited production 1/18 item will not necessarily doom the ocmpany if it doesn't sell extrememly well, which will not happen in this cas regardless of color.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:23 pm

Today I was in contact with the CEO of 21C in regard to some new updates and other topics. Obviously with all the changes in the market and lengthy period of no news updates have generated concern for this hobby. The CEO of 21C wanted to put some of those more urgent concerns at rest and while still serving as a delivery person of news I hope that more details and announcements will continue to surface as things are sorted out. With that said, I will be happy to share with you the information that I have at this time.

1. 21C is not dead and they are not in the process of going away.

2. New product refresh assortments, and new products are scheduled to be stocked at mass retail in the coming weeks. Look for these at WM, Target, and TRU.

3. The CEO hinted at some limited re-release items on some of the much missed items of the past.

4. 88- well this update is about the 88 so I wanted to stay on topic. The 88 is finished and is already in the process of shipping from overseas. So it will be really nice to see some brand new 1:18 stuff once again!

My conversation with the CEO was upbeat and very resolved in tone. Without the need for boring detail, it was explained that there have been significant changes in the market that have effected some of the ways and structure of how these toys are ordered, built, shipped, and distributed . These changes have disrupted timetables and other areas for 21C.

This comes from the very top as I don't usually have the opportunity to speak directly with the CEO, the timing is apparently right at this moment to begin to shed some light. I have also been told that more details follow in the future.

I hope that this is good news for our community and I know that I am more than ready for that beautiful 88! Perhaps the KT and others are not too far behind.

Happy Friday! :)

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:42 pm

Now that's good news :D

Thanks a lot Zach :wink:

phil

immeww2
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by immeww2 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:51 pm

Good to hear that the 88 is on it's way to store shelves. Can't wait to see em. Thanks TKO for the uplifting news on 1/18th. We were sort of withering in the distance for so long without any new product info or updates. :D :D :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:09 pm

boy is that good news. When i saw that you had posted in here i was holding my breath while i read what you had to say. Glad to hear good ole 21c is still alive and kicking!.......and the 88 is on the way!

Do you know if the 88 is going to be online only or will it also be at TRU or some other retailers?

He didn't happen to mention the colour it will be, did he? :lol:
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:14 pm

tko211 wrote:2. New product refresh assortments, and new products are scheduled to be stocked at mass retail in the coming weeks. Look for these at WM, Target, and TRU.

The products that are going to be at target are they going to be 1/18????

I hope the color of the 88 is grey :wink:
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:31 pm

The specifics are still foggy to me. The time that I had with the CEO was pretty limited, he expressed that they were super busy and that he just wanted folks to know all was well and moving forward. It wasn't said but I can only assume that some things were still being ironed out in terms of meeting the new changes required by mass retail, shipping, and everything else.

At this moment I believe that 88 is going to be the S1 scheme that we have already seen. Mass retail is constantly evolving and it really tough to say for sure what is going where. I am not 100% sure that the 88 is going to mass though it kinda seemed like it might...

I know it seems vague right now. In a way I feel like this is a mountain of news if only because we have had nothing for so long. (funny how our perspectives change. LOL)

Don't take the lack of detail as a reason to be concerned or panic. There is that "lost in translation element" at work here and you had to be the one to hear it yourself to feel what was being said... It was more that the CEO was busy and it seemed like he had been meaning to connect with me sooner but was finally just able to so. There was an expressed desire to chime in. I frankly did more listening this time around. I also suspect more specifics will surface when he feels that more things are finalized. Meanwhile I will try to sharpen up my digging up some news tool on my end. Maybe I can get more intel next time. 8)

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:43 pm

I hope the 88 will be sold at target & tru.
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:48 pm

thats great! i want a couple :D
Phabulous Phantoms Phorever rule the sky
and Starfighters Rule the Stars

http://WWW.Panda-Hobby.COM

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Great News so when will Roy get his Job back and when will we see the F-4, MIg-21, B-25 :D :D :D :D :D :D
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

olifant

Post by olifant » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks TKO. I was speaking with another board member last night and part of our discussion was the thought that all of these new figures turning up at KB, TRU and WM may not be warehouse cleaning but actually new releases. It may make sense as the old figures can utilize existing tooling coupled with lower costs due to the lack of articulation.

I think this is a great idea for 21C; we get to see some old friends and they make some easy $$$.

Give them my best.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:49 pm

olifant wrote:Thanks TKO. I was speaking with another board member last night and part of our discussion was the thought that all of these new figures turning up at KB, TRU and WM may not be warehouse cleaning but actually new releases.
I think the figures turning up at KB are warehouse cleaning. I am not sure what all is turning up at Wal-mart and TRU, but I have only seen newer figure there in recent months and those, I think, are just new releases.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

olifant

Post by olifant » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:35 pm

coreystinson wrote:
olifant wrote:Thanks TKO. I was speaking with another board member last night and part of our discussion was the thought that all of these new figures turning up at KB, TRU and WM may not be warehouse cleaning but actually new releases.
I think the figures turning up at KB are warehouse cleaning. I am not sure what all is turning up at Wal-mart and TRU, but I have only seen newer figure there in recent months and those, I think, are just new releases.
I should clarify: I don't think these are new releases but new production of old figures. How many "warehouse finds" can there possibly be out there?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

ARMY GROUP 1
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by ARMY GROUP 1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:57 pm

Great promising news, hopefully products will be available for the Christmas rush.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:56 pm

Good news, and if the 88's at retail, and i hope it is, good then... I'll likely look to a brick & mortar store for it then, and if the price comes in right I'll gladly buy a DAK one. That German shouting needs something to crouch beside.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:47 pm

Now, the question is, if the new products are indeed going to mass retail, which section of the country will they show up in first? I think I know the answer based on recent distribution trends and the better half of the country will have to wait six months to see them :wink:

Now, if they go to the small retailers, that will be a different story. We will all then have an equal chance of getting an 88, even if it costs a little more 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Ta-152
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ta-152 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:53 am

tko211 wrote: 3. The CEO hinted at some limited re-release items on some of the much missed items of the past.
*please be a Super Cobra, please be a Super Cobra*
I Tan I Epi Tas

Stug45

Fallschirmjäger

Post by Stug45 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:58 am

I hope they re-release the Fallschirmjager figs.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:21 am

re-releasing several of the older items would make a lot of sense. They'd be higher profit items, many of the newer collectors would benefit and it would no doubt bring new people into the hobby, who may not be aware of these items or are discouraged from venturing into the scale because of the high after market prices for some of the older items.

Bringing back the german paras makes a lot of sense. They were very nice figures and are highly desired.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:54 am

Zach, Thanks this is great news! I'll take an 88 in any color. I agree re-releasing older items can only help 21st in the long run, I still run into people who have never heard of the 1:18th XD line and others who have just started their collections.
I wouldn't want you to bug the CEO.....but you think you could get some intel on the King Tiger? :wink:

B-29
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by B-29 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:57 am

Ta-152 wrote:
tko211 wrote: 3. The CEO hinted at some limited re-release items on some of the much missed items of the past.
*please be a Super Cobra, please be a Super Cobra*
Yes! Pleeeaaease be a super cobra!!

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:23 pm

olifant wrote: I should clarify: I don't think these are new releases but new production of old figures. How many "warehouse finds" can there possibly be out there?
Well, guess it depends on what you are seeing showing up at Kay-Bee, but 21st Century still has domestic warehouse inventory of WW2 U.S. Marines (both schemes), Operation Market Garden, Battle of the Bulge (asst 2), Japanese Imperial Army, etc. If you saw something even older than these, then yes, it was probably new production. Otherwise, no, it was warehouse cleaning.
Corey Stinson

olifant

Post by olifant » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:31 pm

coreystinson wrote:
olifant wrote: I should clarify: I don't think these are new releases but new production of old figures. How many "warehouse finds" can there possibly be out there?
Well, guess it depends on what you are seeing showing up at Kay-Bee, but 21st Century still has domestic warehouse inventory of WW2 U.S. Marines (both schemes), Operation Market Garden, Battle of the Bulge (asst 2), Japanese Imperial Army, etc. If you saw something even older than these, then yes, it was probably new production. Otherwise, no, it was warehouse cleaning.
Thanks Corey. This would mean that I am wrong. :oops:

Why would they let figures sit for so long? Haven't they heard of carrying costs or inventory turns? :?

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:54 pm

olifant wrote: Why would they let figures sit for so long? Haven't they heard of carrying costs or inventory turns? :?
These may be strategies for Wal-mart to employ, but in the hobby/specialty business one must be more careful. Blowing out product at a big loss trains the consumer to not buy at retail price, which does not bode well for future products. Sometimes it is a good idea to let things sit around for a little while to see if market conditions (demand) change.

Here's an example: at one point I had around 100 pcs. of the 1:18 Super Cobra and they weren't moving, not at all. I had an excellent price on them. I was baffled and lamented it publicly several times. At some point market conditions/demand changes, and they started selling again.

Of course, 1:18 scale action figures are easier to let sit around than 1:18 scale vehicles due to the vast difference in space that storing them consumes. ;)
Corey Stinson

cranedriver
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by cranedriver » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:02 am

tmanthegreat wrote:Now, the question is, if the new products are indeed going to mass retail, which section of the country will they show up in first? I think I know the answer based on recent distribution trends and the better half of the country will have to wait six months to see them :wink:

Now, if they go to the small retailers, that will be a different story. We will all then have an equal chance of getting an 88, even if it costs a little more 8)
I can't wait to get the 88 once they arrive around here. Just so I can hear tman rant about the distrubution. I just wonder if 21st Century has some southern roots :twisted: :twisted:
Is that you John Wayne, this is me!!