So, Which is the Best?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.

Which 1:18 P-51D Mustang paintscheme is the best?

21c "Sweet Arlene" (Comicon 2005 Special)
2%
21c "Ridge Runner"
9%
21c "The Flying Undertaker"
7%
21c "Petie 2nd"
5%
21c "Tender Terror" (4 for Victory Prize)
No votes
21c "Old Crow"
7%
21c "Big Beautiful Doll"
32%
BBI "Killer Ace"
5%
BBI "Old Crow"
9%
BBI "RAAF"
2%
BBI "Donald Duck"
7%
The paintscheme neither company has released yet..
16%

Total votes: 44

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:45 pm

pickelhaube wrote:Nobody has put any up on the Tender T . What does this mean?
I think I might be able to answer why buddy. I think its getting no votes due to the fact that the paint scheme of the 357th is not really an eye catcher to some. Where as BBD is probably the most nicest paint sceheme ever done on a 1/18th or real P-51 Mustang. TT looks basic next to BBD and alot of other Mustangs look the same when compared to it. This is all just my opinion mind you. BBD is probably the best paint sceheme for a P-51 by 21st so far in my book.

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

Rowsdower
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:14 pm

Not saying I don't like BBD and the like because I do but I can't imagine flying around over Europe with half your aircraft painted up like a clown car. It's like if the 101st Airborne jumped into France wearing chrome plated helmets and sequined jackets.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:59 pm

Rowsdower wrote:Not saying I don't like BBD and the like because I do but I can't imagine flying around over Europe with half your aircraft painted up like a clown car.
Well, the USAAF and later USAF did just that with the paintschemes on their planes :wink: Starting in 1944, the USAAF came to realize that because most of their aircraft were flying at high altitude and because the allies had air superiority over the Luftwaffe, camoflauge paint on aircraft was not needed. It also saved a bunch of weight, helping the planes to go faster. Further, squadrons needed something other than the letter codes to ID themselves quickly. Hence the flashy checkered schemes and the like.

The 78th FG of which Col. Landers became CO in February 1945 (with his personal aircraft being "Big Beautiful Doll") had previously been equipped with P-47s that featured the checkered cowl. The 21c P-47 Bubbletop "Eileen" was part of the 78th FG, and has the checkered cowling and same "WZ" squadron code :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:08 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:
Rowsdower wrote:Not saying I don't like BBD and the like because I do but I can't imagine flying around over Europe with half your aircraft painted up like a clown car.
Well, the USAAF and later USAF did just that with the paintschemes on their planes :wink: Starting in 1944, the USAAF came to realize that because most of their aircraft were flying at high altitude and because the allies had air superiority over the Luftwaffe, camoflauge paint on aircraft was not needed. It also saved a bunch of weight, helping the planes to go faster. Further, squadrons needed something other than the letter codes to ID themselves quickly. Hence the flashy checkered schemes and the like.

The 78th FG of which Col. Landers became CO in February 1945 (with his personal aircraft being "Big Beautiful Doll") had previously been equipped with P-47s that featured the checkered cowl. The 21c P-47 Bubbletop "Eileen" was part of the 78th FG, and has the checkered cowling and same "WZ" squadron code :wink:
I guess your right. I knew they started leaving the aircraft in natural aluminum to save money, weight and maintainance time and about colored tails and such for recognition but but I always wondered about the more elaborate schemes.

One of my favorite German quotes from around D-Day I believe: "If the plane is camouflaged then its British, if its silver its American, if its invisible its ours!". :lol:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:45 pm

Yeah, sometimes I wonder about the American schemes as well. I could have sworn at first that "Tar Heel Hal" was just a flashy airshow scheme, but it was an actual plane :shock:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:52 pm

Col Landers named all his planes Big Beautiful Doll. His P-40 he flew in the Pacific, his P-38 and then all his Mustangs (which he flew with the 357th FG as well) were named BBD. They say his ultimate Mustang was the one he flew with the 78th FG and it was his personal favorite. So when he became CO of the 78th they went out of their way to make sure his personal mount was very colorful. All the fighters the 78th flew, Thunderbolts and Mustangs, were very colorful with the checkerboard patterns ect made them stand out that is why they were known as the most colorful group in the ETO its also why their aircraft are featured in paintings and model decals and so fourth.

I give 21st credit for the effort they put into making their new tool BBD as accurate as possible with regaurds to the paint scheme. In my book its one of 21st Centurys best Mustangs so far. I guess this poll we have taken part in proves it. Maybe just maybe 21st will think of doing a Thunderbolt in 1/32nd scale wearing the markings of a NMF 78th FG T-Bolt? How about No Guts, No Glory? I would snatch one up in a heartbeat.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:55 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:Yeah, sometimes I wonder about the American schemes as well. I could have sworn at first that "Tar Heel Hal" was just a flashy airshow scheme, but it was an actual plane :shock:
Ya tman I think some groups got a little carried away! But theres nothing like getting recognized huh? Tar Heel Hal is one flashy Thunderbolt to say the least. Gaudy but magnificent.

rvlyssup
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rvlyssup » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:53 pm

Tuskegee...without a doubt...

For now, I voted 21st Old Crow.
Stang...Gun...Vag Nut.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:29 am

tmanthegreat wrote:Yeah, sometimes I wonder about the American schemes as well. I could have sworn at first that "Tar Heel Hal" was just a flashy airshow scheme, but it was an actual plane :shock:
I thought the same thing! :lol:

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:49 pm

Not listed but I really like the Red Tail Tuskegee.

JL
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:34 pm

King O' Fools wrote:
Killerf6 wrote:That doesn't look anything like my bbi "Old Crow" if you look at the lettering it all looks hand painted. Maybe a proof of concept or something?
Yep. That's what I thought. However, it's also featured here:

http://www.sshqdb.com/coppermine/displa ... =373&pos=0

Must be the vast wrong wing conpiracy!

Anyway, I really like the paint scheme.
It could be a flaw from the factory? I havent seen any thing like that on any other BBI Old Crow so who knows. I like the 21st Century Old Crow better because of the NMF paint scheme it has. Nothing like a silver P-51 and nothing like the sound of a Merlin Mustang.

:wink: