Distribution rumors - what could be next?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
STUKA
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by STUKA » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:40 pm

If WM online sold XD would we see less in the store?
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

digger

DIST.

Post by digger » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:58 pm

No way it is WM online - that would take another retail outlet which in and of itself would be news. Maybe after XD shows up elsewhere WM would put it online, but until then WM loves that you have to walk their floor for your XD fix. In any case I agree with all that this can only be a good thing, whatever it is.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:31 pm

I am glad to see this thread. I went to Walmart this afternoon, and not a one 1:18th scale plane there, not a fricken one! :(
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:10 pm

there is an f-14 on bad cats header.....hummmmm :? could it be something?

could we be getting a wildcat and a f-14? :?:
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:38 pm

Moth wrote:Sounds Good :D

I hope 21stCT goes to TRU, I have 2 in my area :wink:

TRU should accept 21stCT's products, I remember my TRU got 20 boxes, twice, of the Meril's Marauders set and both times they sold out in a day. Glad I got one the 2nd time :?
I wouldn't hold much faith in that happening, as pretty much all the TRU's I go into, have a ton of 1:18 Bbi collecting dust on the shelves, I could be wrong, but with TRU downsizing over the past few years, and their product line slowing dwindling in that same timeframe, I don't see 21st using TRU as a vehicle by which to peddle their goods?

Plane Nuts
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Plane Nuts » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:18 pm

Well, the one thing I know for sure is that there are some folks out there who are now sweating bullets. 21st does have that killer instinct that makes them a force to go after whatever is in their best interest.

The two biggest ideas floated so far only make marginal sense overall. 1)Since WalMart sells the XD stuff largely as a loss leader, to sell the stuff through Walmart.com flies in the face of their larger strategy. It's part of the reason why WalMart never sells their more unique merchandise and collectibles online, it will cut into their business plan to have those folks who would only buy certain items not walking the aisles. Have any of you noticed that in the new, redesigned store layouts that there is no longer a clear straight through shot from the door to Toyland??? 2) An online store by 21st would be a massive commitment and would alienate their current online retailers. They would not be able to be competitive on price in order to keep other parts of the market from abandoning their products en masse.

I actually think what TKO is eluding to might be much simpler. Variety casepacks. Instead of a case packed with four Chinese MiG-15s, they will put two to four different models (say 2 MiG-21s, one P-51, one Me-262) in a case. This will make it more likely for variety to make it into the distribution centers, filtering out to the stores, and better overall sales. What will happen is that instead of a pack of four F-86s showing up on the shelf, where at any given time, only two will sell and the others will sit for two months, you will have four different planes that will all sell within a few days, prompting more orders, and more variety available to be purchased. I think it will be a big improvement from twenty Avengers and only two selling!!

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:44 pm

Plane Nuts I like your idea.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:44 pm

same here - something we were begging for a year ago.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:59 pm

I like it too, only problem is when the other collector in your area gets to all the planes before you do :twisted:

Now, if every store got a "mixed" case or two, then the above wouldn't be so much of a problem :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Tue May 01, 2007 2:58 am

Again, I don't want to speculate, but I believe you are on to something Plane Nuts.

-Rob

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue May 01, 2007 4:33 am

Plane Nuts that is a good idea. But if the local Wal-Mart (mine) doesn't even get the mixed boxes , it is no help at all.
Things that never made it to the New Orleans area:
1. White 109
2. Black 109
3.Merals Maraders
4. Russian mig
5. Huff
6. Tropical 109
7. Invastion striped Spitfire
8. Pak 40 ( 1 only I have it)
9. Hanomag Stuka (1 only I got it)
10 50 cal 1/2 track ( 1 only I got it)

I really don't care what variety pack they use JUST US THEM !!!!!!!! I hope that this would be good news for us down here. I don't think that Wally cares about the e-tailers. The on-line vending of Wal-Mart would help out to us collecters but it will kill the small guy e-tailers. But that is not a concern of Wal-Mart if there is a buck to be made they will make it in abundance. Pee pee on the little guy. :evil:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Tue May 01, 2007 5:36 am

Walmart's strategy for their on-line store is kind of a mystery to me, as well. They won't sell collectible $40 XD planes, but they will sell a $3000 collectible Millenium Falcon? You can't buy a $4.97 D-Day figure, but no problem ordering a $240 Gundam figure? And they recently added a series of collectibles including the M48, F86, M113, F4, and others that I suspect are 1/50 or 1/72 Corgi or related--as on-line exclusives.
I know a couple other pretty large retailers are working on adding or improving on-line selling capabilities, but they don't carry XD anyway, so unless that is changing, I don't see it making a difference here.
My best guess is either Target picking up the line (and hopefully at a more competitive price than they had on-line, where they were high even for an etailer), or possibly TRU getting back in the game now that bbi seems to be scaling back so much on new releases. Under new ownership, they might just allow such politically incorrect items as the other side of WWII, since last I checked, it wasn't US versus UK.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue May 01, 2007 7:14 am

I'm with pickelhaube. The problem with the WalMarts in my AO isn't having ten of the same aircraft/vehicles sitting on the shelf rotting, the problem is those aircraft/vehicles never get on the shelves at all because they are never sent to these WalMarts. Mixed boxes or whatever aren't so great if you never get any boxes period.

If 21st/WM has come up with a plan to distribute the product to all their stores in a consistent manner then I'll be dancing in the aisles, otherwise it's not so great.
Last edited by Rowsdower on Tue May 01, 2007 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Tue May 01, 2007 9:43 am

Exactly...seems far more stuff never showed up at my walmarts than did. As far as Targer goes...the 1 store in my town is tiny and nevers gets stuff either. At least that is the way it seems.

sarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

distribution

Post by sarge » Tue May 01, 2007 12:21 pm

What ever it is it's got to be better than what we already have. If 21C stays with WM I hope WM changes their policies on which stores to stock with 21C. :D :D Sarge

catman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by catman » Tue May 01, 2007 6:52 pm

Thanks for the update TKO!

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Wed May 02, 2007 9:47 am

Well one thing is totally clear from this thread. Everyone wants better distribution. :lol:

I am waiting patiently to see if the next few weeks will produce the last bits of information needed to validate what I suspected might be true. I have checked in with my CO at 21st and he says I was ok to have posted what I have so far but not to reveal anymore intel untill the rest of the puzzle pieces fall into place. This news put me at ease and confirmed some of what I had suspected was going on.

If all goes well I can say that this news will not be a let down to us fans.

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Wed May 02, 2007 10:01 am

I just do not see why stores like Hobbytown or Hobby-Lobby do not get this stuff in. IMO, I think that they would sell pretty well in those two store chains.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed May 02, 2007 11:03 am

tkjaer21 wrote:I just do not see why stores like Hobbytown or Hobby-Lobby do not get this stuff in. IMO, I think that they would sell pretty well in those two store chains.
My Hobbytown store does get 21c & BBI stuff - save that it is not entirely current or representative as far as the newest products are concerned. I think that with those stores, it is up to the manager as whether or not to carry 21c products. I know that my local Hobbytown store has one manager who specifically deals with 21c (among other store duties) and thus gets in the occasional products. Were it not for him, there would be no 21c at that store.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed May 02, 2007 11:09 am

tkjaer21 wrote:I just do not see why stores like Hobbytown or Hobby-Lobby do not get this stuff in. IMO, I think that they would sell pretty well in those two store chains.

Agreed!

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed May 02, 2007 1:28 pm

I think we need to figure out how to send TKO some truth serum over the internet. :lol: :lol: :lol: Vee have vays to make you talk!

I'd also like to see hobby lobby sell some stuff. They already sell a lot of die-cast aircraft from Model Power and others so why not some 32x or 1:18 aircraft/armor? I'd even be happy if they sold the 1:32 kits.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

sarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

secret

Post by sarge » Wed May 02, 2007 1:33 pm

No offence to you TKO but I don't understand what/why the big secret is. :roll: :roll: We all know about the distribution problems and we all will still buy 21C irregardless of who or where we get them from. That's why we're called LOYAL customers. :shock: But the way this drama is being handled is like it's on a "need to know basis". :? :? The drums are rolling time to make the big announcement. :o :o Sarge

digger

well

Post by digger » Wed May 02, 2007 1:52 pm

It's only been 3 days.. :roll: I'm sure when he is allowed to tell us he will..

Fox Tare-28
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Fox Tare-28 » Wed May 02, 2007 2:01 pm

Rowsdower wrote:I think we need to figure out how to send TKO some truth serum over the internet. :lol: :lol: :lol: Vee have vays to make you talk!

:shock:

*Shows up in Gestapo outfit and pulls out foldable coat hangar*

I wish Toys 'R Us also sold some 21C stuff.