ID this 1:18 fig - Chap Mei??

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
digger
Officer - Brigadier General

ID this 1:18 fig - Chap Mei??

Post by digger » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:32 pm

Got this guy in a lot. He has almost no articulation but is very well done with a tight kneel firing stance (impossible with articulation, come on 21C, give us interchangeable legs too!). He's also wearing a fleece like the one seen on SF and Big Tommy Franks in the pic below. He came with an accurately scaled M107 (I believe) but I gave him the bbi version for camo purposes. I don't think you would ever fire that weapon like that but his hands are actually too far apart for a smaller rifle.

Anyway, who is he? Where did he come from, are there other detailed guys like this in the line? Thanks!

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by 75th Ranger » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:00 pm

to the best of my knowledge iti is a Chap mei figure and i saw it in a set that had a half track vehicle with it.
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:12 pm

[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:22 am

Hey Digger , What is the story behind the picture? Is this a still from a movie are these mercenaries? WHY DO FOUR OF THEM HAVE THE SAME JACKET?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

blaster_e11
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blaster_e11 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:15 am

i'd like to know more about it too

digger

pics

Post by digger » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:31 am

75th Ranger wrote:to the best of my knowledge iti is a Chap mei figure and i saw it in a set that had a half track vehicle with it.
Thanks Ranger :D

pickelhaube wrote:Hey Digger , What is the story behind the picture? Is this a still from a movie are these mercenaries? WHY DO FOUR OF THEM HAVE THE SAME JACKET?
Those are US Operators in country. I would not post the pic for PerSec but the photo has been out on the net for a while now. Gore-Tex and Fleece are literally equipment for these guys, so no surprise a bunch of them - including their guest - have some of the same on.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:35 am

that figure looks like a Chap Mei scaled down knock off of a McFarlane figure to me. The pose is pretty good for it to be a Chap Mei creation.

Good find....Ranger's correct, i remember seeing it in the halftrack playset.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:58 am

These were also available at Big Lots at Christmas is two packs with normally-articulated Chap Mei figs. There was another figure, same lack of articulation, that was a delta SAW gunner. Decent sculpts, they just need to make the hands smaller so you can trade out weapons.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

blaster_e11
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blaster_e11 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:07 pm

joearmory has one for sale

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:37 am

Just for grins, I checked one of my local Big Lots at lunch yesterday. Nada.

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jeffrowse » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:27 am

Tinman wrote:Just for grins, I checked one of my local Big Lots at lunch yesterday. Nada.
Chap Mei stuff seems to be around for one season, maybe two - then it's gone. As far as scale goes, normally CM is pretty dire but they do have the occasional flash of brilliance - or if you don't mind odd-sized figures (I've got a BBI "British" Marine and a CM soldier here; the Marine's head is about halfway up the back of the CM soldier's head. The biggest problem I have with CM is the lack of posability with most of them.
The best place I have found to get the non-military CM figs and vehicles in the UK is the little kiddies' shop Early Learning Centre - they have done a variety of wildlife, dinosaur/prehistoric, police/villain and space-related products that are good sources of conversion fodder... :shock: Of course, whilst the figures are too big to fit nicely with the BBI/C21 figs, the vehicles are too small for the "correct" scale appearance. :(

There is another company called Lanard which does 3-3/4" action figures too - same sort of size as the CM figures but much more posable - elbows, knees and waists on the ones I have, as against just shoulders, neck and hips for CM.
I wish had had a bit more cash around Christmas time - my local Tesco supermarket had three-packs of various Lanard pilots and soldiers for about the same as a single BBI figure - the weapons are surprisingly detailed considering the cost but not as good as the BBI ones, natch. Unfortunately Lanard seem to have the same marketing strategy as CM - here one month, rare the next, then disappear seemingly for good. :evil:

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:49 am

Chap Mei also did a static Delta guy if memory serves,though I don`t have either of these static figures.

They do look bloody smashing though & certainly pieces to add to the collection.

ja
My 1/18th Custom World. Updated 15th Dec.
http://www.freewebs.com/steelbonnet/

blaster_e11
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blaster_e11 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:56 am

jeffrowse wrote: The biggest problem I have with CM is the lack of posability with most of them.
The best place I have found to get the non-military CM figs and vehicles in the UK is the little kiddies' shop Early Learning Centre - they have done a variety of wildlife, dinosaur/prehistoric, police/villain and space-related products that are good sources of conversion fodder... :shock: Of course, whilst the figures are too big to fit nicely with the BBI/C21 figs, the vehicles are too small for the "correct" scale appearance. :(
here's my customized CM african warrior along with lanard and customized joe figs

Image[/list]