New product update from 21st! WOW!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:23 am

aferguson wrote:why would they paint the plexiglass nose?
They would paint the Attack B-25s plexiglass nose too look like the clear plexiglass nose bombers to fool the enemy into thinking all the B-25s were plain bombers.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Killerf6
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Killerf6 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:24 am

Wow!! I'm gone for a couple of days, and I come back to a B-25... I must be dreaming, a Dauntless, a Skyraider, a F4 Phantom, and now a Mitchell.
I fly cartoon airplanes

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:44 am

but this is the opposite....they painted over a clear plexiglass nose. Why?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:50 am

Rogue wrote:Tondeylayo was a B-25D-20 of the 500BS 345BG.
She had her plexi nose painted and 4 .50's in the nose as one of the first strafers of the Air Apache's.
Too bad the restorers didn't correctly dulicate her, it would have been easy.
Hmm, interesting. Well the B-24 that was there was painted up as the Dragon & His Tail but they recently recently changed it to Witchcraft which although still a cool looking scheme, kinda bummed me out. :cry:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:01 am

I am in awe right now, imagine, we will be gettting a B-25!

I originally thought it would never be made, because, since there is a lot of glass, more or less the whole interior must be made. That is essentially making two planes in one.

Great job 21stCT!
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:14 am

Man - this is shaping up to be a great year for 1/18th planes. Problem is I am running out of room and $$$!...and we need more armor :x

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:34 am

I like this also 8)
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

sarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sarge » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:50 am

Threetoughtrucks wrote:If the first is in honor of the Doolitle raid, I would like to see "The Ruptured Duck". Wow.

Get a couple of different models and you won't have to paint the cieling, it would be all B-25 and Avenger.s :roll:

TTT
I think the first B-25 issued should be from Doolitles raid as he was the first one there to show the Japanese we were on our way. Guess it's time to start clearing another room. Glad I been married 40 years and the wife is so forgiving :roll: :roll: :roll: . Have a good one. Sarge

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:06 pm

21st has just took a HUGE step in the 1/18th buisness with the announcement of a 1/18th B-25 and has taken the lead over the competition. Whats next a 1/18th scale B-17G or a B-17F? That would be mind blowing. Cudos go to 21st but I'm gonna pass and heres why. I am running out of room and a 1/18th B-25 will take up ALOT of room fellas. Also I'm not a big fan of the B-25, I never have been so I'm gonna pass. But for those who have been asking for a B-25? Congrats. It shows that a bomber can be done in 1/18th scale and it has taken 21st to prove that. I'm just wondering what the asking price will be for the B-25. I'm sure it wont be cheap by any stretch of the imagination but I could be wrong.

Hats off to 21st for delievering once again and giving their fans what they want.

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

Please 21st Century before you release the B-25 address some quality issues. My last two 21st Century models had some really serious quality problems. I would be some bummed to get a B-25 with some of the same issues. :( :x :oops:
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

Jason of Admiral Toys
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jason of Admiral Toys » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:58 pm

tko211 wrote:I am sure Jason was talking about his F-4. and the costs that they looked at for building a B-25. AT isn't qualified source to determine what the exact price will be. Don't worry more news is on it's way.
No matter what I am sure 21st will make it afforadable. They always do that for us! 8)
Let me begin by saying again that I am very excited about this release. I think 21st does a fantastic job with each and every release. I myself am a fan of this aircraft and cannot wait to see it completed.

To correct any misunderstandings of my statement on cost and to put this to rest and allow this thread to get back on point, which is the great news of a great announcement, I will state the following: I was just assisting the consumer in understanding a possible price point for the B-25. The forum was asked, I answered with my opinion. Correct or incorrect will be seen in the future. However, Admiral was in the process of working on the B-25. We were in the preliminary cost analysis phase. We found that the entire wing span of the B-25 is 3 inches longer then the F-4 in length, but about 50% less plastic to inject because of the girth and dimensions, and cheaper to tool because of the breaking point (the point at which it will be separated for packaging.) Part of the wingspan is fuselage and the wings would have been plug_and_play on our model. The fuselage is just less than 2.9 feet in length and its girth is not that of the F-4. Tooling engines, on a twin engine aircraft, is replication of injection, not tooling. To answer a statement about wing droop, we were going to use a PC or aluminum rod that supports the break-point.

The only thing that will really bump up cost is the amount of detail given to the interior of the aircraft. Knowing 21st, we all know they will do a great job. But even with a detailed insert which is negated on the late models and only used on the glass nosed models, we were able to get our production cost “per unit” lower, not by much, then the F-4. So all things being relative, if we were able to get a production cost a little lower then our F-4, I thought 21st could do the same, find a production cost a little lower then their F-4. This is a big airplane. But if you make a box, from nose to wingtip to tail, there is a lot of air. This believe it or not, cost nothing in production.

Good news for the fans is no duplication. If we were able to make it for a little less then our F-4, of course we were going to make the B-25. But no need now, there are plenty of other great aircraft to be made. The fans have what they want, we will move on.

I want this to be the last we here of Admiral in this thread. Lets focus on the real news, the release of a great B-25! Great job 21st! 8)

Regards,
Jason

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:07 pm

thanx Jason :D
Phabulous Phantoms Phorever rule the sky
and Starfighters Rule the Stars

http://WWW.Panda-Hobby.COM

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:40 pm

I can't wait for the B-25!!!! WHOHOOO! Funny enough, I have an air-to-air shoot this weekend with a B-25J Mitchell.

parrish333
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by parrish333 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:41 pm

Jason of Admiral Toys wrote: Let me begin by saying again that I am very excited about this release. I think 21st does a fantastic job with each and every release. I myself am a fan of this aircraft and cannot wait to see it completed.

To correct any misunderstandings of my statement on cost and to put this to rest and allow this thread to get back on point, which is the great news of a great announcement, I will state the following: I was just assisting the consumer in understanding a possible price point for the B-25. The forum was asked, I answered with my opinion. Correct or incorrect will be seen in the future. However, Admiral was in the process of working on the B-25. We were in the preliminary cost analysis phase. We found that the entire wing span of the B-25 is 3 inches longer then the F-4 in length, but about 50% less plastic to inject because of the girth and dimensions, and cheaper to tool because of the breaking point (the point at which it will be separated for packaging.) Part of the wingspan is fuselage and the wings would have been plug_and_play on our model. The fuselage is just less than 2.9 feet in length and its girth is not that of the F-4. Tooling engines, on a twin engine aircraft, is replication of injection, not tooling. To answer a statement about wing droop, we were going to use a PC or aluminum rod that supports the break-point.

The only thing that will really bump up cost is the amount of detail given to the interior of the aircraft. Knowing 21st, we all know they will do a great job. But even with a detailed insert which is negated on the late models and only used on the glass nosed models, we were able to get our production cost “per unit” lower, not by much, then the F-4. So all things being relative, if we were able to get a production cost a little lower then our F-4, I thought 21st could do the same, find a production cost a little lower then their F-4. This is a big airplane. But if you make a box, from nose to wingtip to tail, there is a lot of air. This believe it or not, cost nothing in production.

Good news for the fans is no duplication. If we were able to make it for a little less then our F-4, of course we were going to make the B-25. But no need now, there are plenty of other great aircraft to be made. The fans have what they want, we will move on.

I want this to be the last we here of Admiral in this thread. Lets focus on the real news, the release of a great B-25! Great job 21st! 8)

Regards,
Jason
Sorry Jason, I know you wanted this to be the last of hearing about you on 21Cs thread, which is certainly to your credit. But I just wanted to say I'm continually impressed by your professionalism in how you talk publicly about your competition. I really respect that.

Plus it lends credence to the quality of 21C's product coming from a well-respected manufacturer like Admiral, so I really don't think it steals any of their thunder.

Anyhow, you're right that this thread shouldn't be about Admiral; it's about the B-25 being made by 21C and I think we're all (well, almost all of us ;) ) thrilled with the news. So many of us were clamoring for a true WWII bomber and this is as good of a choice as could have been made in that category. The fact you were in the preliminary stages of looking at the B-25 too is just further confirmation of what a great choice it was—much like the F-4.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:46 pm

Sabrefan wrote:Please 21st Century before you release the B-25 address some quality issues. My last two 21st Century models had some really serious quality problems. I would be some bummed to get a B-25 with some of the same issues. :( :x :oops:
I totally agree! However, our pleas may fall on deaf ears. I too am a bit wary of 21c taking on such a huge project considering the potential for defects. The Avenger is a case in point. The smaller, less complicated, aircraft 21c has produced seem to have fewer overall defects, but then the keywords are smaller and less complicated. This becomes all the more critical when we start hearing about "rushed" production to meet Wal Mart's demands.

I think 21c needs to re-evaulate how they package their planes, and perhaps use more twist ties to better secure an item or use more padding and perhpas eliminate the window box. BBI was able to successfully package large heavy models like the F-16 and F-18 into window boxes, but they used alot of twist ties and plastic wrap over delicate parts. Something like the P-38 box may be the way for 21c to go to ensure the safety of the model.

I am not trying to bash 21c or be a party-pooper, just I want to offer some constructive criticism. Its easy to get lost in all the excitement of an amazing new release and forget to comment on the practical issues. Extreme detail is great, but it all goes down the tube when your plane's canopy is cracked or screw covers missing, and the like. I too don't want to potentially pay into the $100s only to get something thats broken and can't be easily returned. Many people also plan on only getting 1 B-25, so it is all the more critical to have good examples!

Anyways, I am psyched about the B-25 and hope that 21c will deliver a product that not only just has amazing detail, but quality workmanship as well :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:04 pm

aferguson wrote:why would they paint the plexiglass nose?
They painted the nose as an additional camoflage. The glint of the sun could be seen from miles around. Any way to dull out the aircraft....

However, it turned out to be a morale booster with a bit of dash...

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:38 pm

Now that 21st is coming out with the B-25, I might as well share with you some pictures I drew when I was in highschool while in class getting an education, hehehe.. I used to pride myself on being able to draw off the top of my head without looking at a photo. When you are obsessed with planes, this can happen, hehehe.... Note the notebook paper. The third picture was done when I was in the dorms as a very young airman. Those were the days....

[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by 75th Ranger » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:51 pm

I'm glad to see those nice pictures. As a matter of fact, I believe most of them show the great use of the B-25. And we must not forget that the B-25 was widely used in the CBI (China-Burma-India) theather of operations.

by the way, when is the expected release date of the B-25?

will Wally sell them?...or the online stores?

keep me posted.

thanks in advance.
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Nice drawings Teamski!
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:55 pm

Holy cats - I just saw this! Another must have.

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:55 pm

Nice drawings. :wink:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:20 pm

nice lockheed hudson in the first pic ski...heh.

Great drawings......talent and beauty. What a guy!

I wonder how modular this B-25 is going to be. To do a Doolittle and an 'H' gunship would need more than a nose change. Though, to be honest, i wouldn't hold it against them if that's all they did. Still be great. I think that Batnose looks so good.

I remember when i was a kid reading in my two volume 'Airwar' books about Kenny and the gunships, skip bombing Japanese merchant ships. Brings back lots of memories.

Hope this puppy is well received. Could pave the way to future greatness.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

jhogan
Corporal
Corporal

Did I miss when!

Post by jhogan » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:07 pm

TKO, Did I miss when the B-25 will be avaiable? I'm sure 21C would not announce the B-25 or F-4 as far ahead as the Avenger, so I hope they will out during the 1st half of 2007. If they do a good job as they did with the release of the F-86 and Mig-15, can we expect them by early Summer?

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:50 pm

Greetings,

Well I for one am not happy about this at all! Where is TKO? I need to find him. So that's why my 1/32 B-25 was missing from my collection for the past couple of weeks. TKO stole it to use it as a copy for the 1/18 model? Hmmm, where is that TKO??? We need to talk or he is going to have to have a talk with my lawyer.

I am just kidding of course, it is great that 21st took the risk and is building a B-25. Geez, I wouldn't have had to build mine anyway, all that work, sheesh....LOL. I honestly thought if they would do it, that it would be in the smaller scale of 1/32, not 1/18. I am glad to see all the 1/18 folk are happy.

Now, TKO, you have to tell Roy he needs to do one in the Briefing Time scheme like mine is done in. It would be great and the museum could sell them and make money and I'd buy one. Be a great seller for Reading's World War II Weekend.

By the way TKO, how are they going to do the retracts?? I wish mine had retracts:) I'm jealous... LOL
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:16 pm

Despite the markings, the B-25 in 21c's announcement is a bute. Does anyone know whose it is and where it's based out of?
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..