Acrylic 1/18 aircraft display stand

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:21 am

At this time I only have the 1/18 scale stand, but I am going to make up a couple 1/32 stands today and see how they work. I collect both sizes as well.

Timbo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Timbo » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:39 pm

Well I ordered a couple of these and they arrived today. They came assembled and were well packed. The mounts are well made and the cuts are very clean. I mainly purchased the stands for 2 of my F-18's but I ran into a couple of problems. First of all because of the way the centerline drop tank on the Hornet has the little tab on the end of it, it interferes with the stand. I resolved this by pulling the drop tank just slightly out of the mount in the rear and that gave some additional clearance. Ultimately though the end of the drop tank was pressed against the upright part of the base making the plane unable to take advantage of the full length of the forks with it installed. Secondly, the Hornet is just plain heavy. As you can see in all the pictures posted in this thread the aircraft are all nose up. The Hornet sits level or slightly nose down depending on if the centerline tank is installed or not. I also noticed that the rear of the base was actually bent up off of the table at the joint due to the weight. While not immediately threatening, I would worry about stress fractures over an extended time. Finally because of the shape of the bottom of the plane it will only sit to one side or the other on the mount. This makes for a nice shallow banking display but it doesn’t do much for overall stability. For any other plane I would say these are excellent stands and I will probably use them for my 262 and F-86 but I think a studier design is going to be required for the Hornets.

kevrut
Officer - Brigadier General

xd

Post by kevrut » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm

Thanks for the review Timbo. Any pics of the Hornet sitting on this?

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:46 am

Thank you Timbo. That is exactly what I need to know. While one stand cannot fit all aircraft. I can make improvements or make a stand that just fits a specific aircraft. Please post some pictures. Would making the support arms longer help give it some extra clearance? If the hornet is anything like my f-16 it's pretty heavy. I had the f-16 sitting on a stand for about a month 1/2 and it held up. It would take allot to crack it. I would say if you have a stand fail due to normal use, send it back to me and I will replace it. If any one would like you can send me an email with the type of plane you have and what characterisics you would like on the stand and I can work that in when I am making them. Bank, dive, etc. If you have a heavier aircraft like the f-16 or 18 I can make it the bend less, so when you set your plane on there it will have that up angle you are looking for. I have also made a prototype of a 1/32 stand. I barrowed my sons lib to see how it looked.

Thanks again Timbo.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:35 am

First off: I really like the look of the stands and think they are an excellent idea! I wish I had the space to display aircraft with this approach (I am running out of ceiling!).
One consideration for some of the larger, heavier aircraft, especially those with an unusual center of balance, you may want to consider a brace or cross-piece on the front of the vertical piece, so it essentially becomes a "T" where it joins the base. That will reduce the strain on the mounting point, and also help prevent the base from wanting to flex. I can draw up a "blueprint" on Monday for you when I get to work, if you want. Another idea that may also go over well with a lot of our collectors is adding an option for an integrated "card stand" or something of the sort at the front of the base. This would allow collectors to display the aircraft with an ID card or photo, if they would like.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:27 am

Well I hope santa was good to everyone!! I got a couple new toys for the collection.

FieroDude I would appreciate any help you could offer. I have acad 14. I like the card idea also.

I have created a website for anyone interested in these. nothin fancy. www.standeez.com Let me know what you think.
The planes that I have and tested with the stands are: corsair, 109, 190, stuka, p-51, f-86, mig-15 and avenger.

I am looking at getting 1/32 scale stands made as well.

Flak Happy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Flak Happy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:54 am

Do you a pic of the avenger on one of your stands? It just seems the avenger would be to big for it. Thanks!

FH

Flak Happy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Flak Happy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:59 am

Nevermind, just saw the pic on a previous post. :lol: nice!! I think I'm sold!!

FH

Bar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bar » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:34 am

Forget i spoke...
E-mail(And MSN Messenger): [email protected]

reedleyxd
Corporal
Corporal

Post by reedleyxd » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:47 pm

How can I get a few? Thanks! Jeffrey
Thank you all for making this forum great!

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Acrylic 1:18 Display stand

Post by pizzaguy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Well it's been three years, a new house, and a flood since I visited this post. I am eager to re-visit this project. The stands have three years of testing and so far so good. I dabbled with having the stands laser cut, but the edges would crack. So I will stick with cutting them myself. I had some 1/32 scale stands laser cut and those turned out very nice.
I found these 3M clear mounting squares that are excellent for mount the planes.

If anyone is interested I have six stands ready to ship for $6.99ea + shipping.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:58 pm

I just found your thread and like the look of the stand. Are you doing 1/18 stands again? None of the pics from the earlier posts on the thread work so don't know what the 1/18 stands look like for the F18 &F16 in particular - did you work out the problems with these if there were any?
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:51 pm

Yes I am. I put the project on hold while my wife and I were building a house. After the new house was finished our old house was hit by a flood, so I spent about 8 months fixing that up. My family owns a restaurant chain and that has taken off in the last year.
We are between restaurants, so I thought I would re-visit this project.

The website that I used to post the previous pictures has removed the images. I will see if I still have the images around.
The stand with the circle base is my first stand I built. The new ones have the tri-angular shape.

The stand I used for the F-16 was a little too small. Most of my collect is mustangs, ME-109's etc. I never looked into, but I bet I could make a stand to support the F-16, F-18 and the new F-15. (I have to get me one of those.) If there was an interest I would be happy to give it a try. If there was a collector in my area with an F-18 I could barrow I could work something up for it as well.

I think the stand enhances the appearance of the plane and frees up the space underneath to place the 1/32 collection.
I build R/C planes, so I have a monocoat gun that gets 400+ degrees. With that you could reheat the stand and put the plane in almost any configuration you want by bending the supports. In the picture with the corsair I have it in a banking position.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:58 pm

They look good. I currently have an F16 and an F18 hanging from the ceiling on 50lb test fishing wire (a few others but not nearly as heavy as those two), which I'm afraid will snap one day where the knots are tied. It would be nice to bring these down and still be able to display underneath on a shelf. I've preordered the new JSI F-14 as well - if that ever comes out it will be a beast and I would really be hesitant to hang it. If I'm reading your post correctly you can bend these to make them more horizontal as well? I need to measure my spacing on my shelves, but If they were more level then I could fit them in and still have room for 1/72 scale stuff for sure.
If you do get access to the F18 and make a stand I'd be interested in getting a couple for the F16 and F18 I currently have. (F14 as well {F15 and SU27 hopefully to come next year?}.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

snake

Post by snake » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:55 am

I would also be interested in some of these acrylic display stands.
I think that the best idea would be for you to do a specific stand,for a specific plane.
A P-51 stand.A P-38 stand.An F-18 stand,etc.That way you could have mounting points that are not in the way of drop tanks,etc.

This would be the best approach,in my opinion.It would however require that you have access to the planes.

What about schematic drawings.Or pictures of the undersides of these models.I am sure some of the members here could post pictures of the undersides of their models.

I think that it is a terrific idea. :D

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:06 am

very nice idea
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:30 am

no need to worry if you're using 50lb test. I've had my f-18 hanging for years with 20lb test without problem. Might be an idea to put a drop of krazy glue where the knots are......that will solve any worry about a knot breaking. The F-18 weighs less than 10 pounds.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:34 am

So far the stand has worked for a high majority planes. I am looking into making a stand that better fits the mustang. As you can see in the photo's all the aircraft on stands fit pretty well. They have been on these for about 2.5 years now. Is there any planes in particular that you have that I don't show below? I have a p-47, Stuka, avenger and a P-38 in storage I can pull out and see how they fit. I am open to ideas.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:10 pm

I just got done making this stand for the F-16. I would like to make one for the F-18 or F-14, but I would need to get some dimensions and pics.

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:25 pm

pizzaguy wrote:I just got done making this stand for the F-16. I would like to make one for the F-18 or F-14, but I would need to get some dimensions and pics.

That stand is sweeeeet! How much are you selling for? I forgot all about your stands. Are you still selling them? If so, please PM me! :D

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:43 pm

sweet lord I need to have a few of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:47 pm

Looks like a nice display stand. Are these for sale?
Todd

YT

Post by YT » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:55 pm

WOW! Like the others I am interested. I would be willing to help with F-18 measurements if you tell me what you need.

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:05 pm

They are for sale! $16ea +shipping. I will make them as ordered. I also have the standard stands for $7ea +shipping.
PM me if your interested and I will send you the details.

I would like to make a stand for the F-18 and F-14.
YT,
Any pics you could supply would be great. With the fuel tank down the middle I have to come up with some thing a little different than the F-16. Maybe we could work out somekind of trade. Your help for a test stand. I would need some clear pics of the bottom with a ruler for reference.