TBF-1 AVENGER 49.99!!!!!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

TBF-1 AVENGER 49.99!!!!!

Post by tosborne3 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:29 pm

Hey all, just got back from Wal-mart where I just purchased an Avenger for only 49.99. These were in the clearance section and they must have had 20 of em. :D Cool thing is I had my Christmas gift card that still had $15.00 on it, so if ya wanna get technical I really got it for 35.00 and some change.LoL. :D :D :D .
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

CW4USARMY
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by CW4USARMY » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:37 pm

My brother lives out in Oklahoma and found them for 29.99!, and as you found, had twenty of them! We have still never even received them at the 3 Walmarts in the Hampton/Newport News Area. I only have mine thanks to fellow board members letting me know they found some down in Norfolk area (another reason I love this forum :D )

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:54 pm

Thats cool :D , I had never seen these in the store before and was actually afraid to because of the hefty price tag. You finding them for 29.99 is awesome!
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:12 pm

What I am finding interesting is that the clearance pricing isn't consistent. All the other 1/28 and 1/32 items I have seen on clearance seem to be consistently priced across the board, but Avengers are showing up at $30, $35, and $49, which is a pretty massive variation in pricing (63% difference between $30 and $49!). I was going to try to point this out at one of my local Walmarts, but couldn't find a responsible human--go figure.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

Rogo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rogo » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:17 pm

My local Wally also has about 20 Avengers. They bounced around in price from from $79 to $69, then $39 and now $49. They are going to have to really cut the price again to move them. Just too many. Same story with Chinese tiger Mig-15s. About 20 of these also at $39.
All the new 1:18 armor vehicles and PAKs are $17.

Rogo

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:00 pm

:shock: $29, $39, and $49 Avengers? Snatch those things up. You guys are so lucky. I have yet to see any Avengers, Migs, or F-86's here in MN. The last crop of 1/18 21st aircraft we had here were the FW-190D9's (Someone please make the A model already) some F-104's and all the mustangs you could shake a stick at. If I could get my hands on those Avengers for that price I would buy a few of them and start re-painting them. Does anyone have any idea why MN would be over looked when distributing the newer 21st aircraft? It can't be do to lack of sales if every other state has them in the clearance isle for over half off the regular price.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:08 pm

Most stores in my AO never got any at all, either, and a couple got large numbers just before Christmas. Makes me wonder how the inventory is assigned--it would have been logical to ship 8-10 per store, and then another 8-10 when the store was down to 1 or 2. Instead, some markets got flooded and others got none. Interstingly enough, I noted that the sale price was supposedly valid through 2/1/07. So after that, do they go back up to full price? Down more? Or do they do a repeat of the RC armor and disappear for a year, only to reappear next Christmas?
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:45 pm

I found it so strange to find these at this price because I have been searching for awhile. It's odd because anytime Wal-mart in columbus, ohio gets any stock it doesn't seem anybody is buying the products. I wonder how many XD collectors there are in columbus. I just thought I would've seen these before Christmas. Old stock sits on the shelf a very long time here. I did see some of the new Mig-15's though. Go figure.

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:12 pm

If anyone is wondering how Wal-mart clearance works. It goes by location and if the store has the mark down dollars to clear something out. With that some stores never clear items out and have to send them to other stores for clearance, and that is why some areas you can find an item for $9 and in another area you find it a full price. No 2 stores will be the same unless it's a corporate mark down.
momaw nadon

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:02 pm

I wish any of the Wal Marts in my area had a pile of 20 discounted Avengers - it would be a sight to see... The four for sale in my area (not at Wal Mart) actually increased in price :?
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:27 pm

momaw nadon wrote:If anyone is wondering how Wal-mart clearance works. It goes by location and if the store has the mark down dollars to clear something out. With that some stores never clear items out and have to send them to other stores for clearance, and that is why some areas you can find an item for $9 and in another area you find it a full price. No 2 stores will be the same unless it's a corporate mark down.
momaw nadon
I talked to a toy dept manager one day about "clearancing".. She told me it was up to the individual dept managers to discount items.. The more they discount the more their department loses in profit, so if they are DEEPLY discounted, you can bet the dept manager wants them gone..
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:23 pm

hworth18 wrote:
momaw nadon wrote:If anyone is wondering how Wal-mart clearance works. It goes by location and if the store has the mark down dollars to clear something out. With that some stores never clear items out and have to send them to other stores for clearance, and that is why some areas you can find an item for $9 and in another area you find it a full price. No 2 stores will be the same unless it's a corporate mark down.
momaw nadon
I talked to a toy dept manager one day about "clearancing".. She told me it was up to the individual dept managers to discount items.. The more they discount the more their department loses in profit, so if they are DEEPLY discounted, you can bet the dept manager wants them gone..
It is up to the department manager, but they still have to follow policy and have the mark down dollars to put anything on clearance if corporate doesn't issue a mark down for the item. If they don't have the dollars to spare the only other way to move them is to send them to another store that has the mark down dollars to use. Plus they have to divid all the mark down dollars with all clearance for their department, if it's not moving fast enough with the corporate mark down. Most items are clearanced for space issues, and if a store as the room for the item they won't mark it down until corporate says too.

My wife works for Wal-mart, and the Toy manager is a friend of mine. I asked once why it seemed that clearance differs from one Wal-mart to another and that is what I was told.

momaw nadon

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:26 am

Still waiting for the S1 Version to show up in my AO :cry:
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:27 pm

It was the same here in the St. Louis area last year on the R/C 1:18 scale vehicles. I found three different prices at three different stores. One store had the modern troop carrier for $12! The other store 10 miles away had them for $29. :)
FieroDude wrote:What I am finding interesting is that the clearance pricing isn't consistent. All the other 1/28 and 1/32 items I have seen on clearance seem to be consistently priced across the board, but Avengers are showing up at $30, $35, and $49, which is a pretty massive variation in pricing (63% difference between $30 and $49!). I was going to try to point this out at one of my local Walmarts, but couldn't find a responsible human--go figure.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:36 pm

There is ZERO clearance in any of the 5 WM in my AO. Avengers are full price. Good thing I got one for Christmas! :twisted:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:29 am

Whether its on clearance or if its at the regular price the Avenger is worth every penny that is asked for it. The Avenger ranks right up there with BBI's 1/18th Corsair as far as detail goes and then some. I bought mine from Bad Cat and never lost a wink of sleep over what I paid for it.

In my book its a beauty of a 1/18th Avenger. And well worth its price.

:wink:
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:29 pm

I have a question about my avenger; the bottom hatch door seems to be stuck. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions, I can get it open half way but it sticks. My wife told me to maybe use a hair dryer to soften the hinges. Has anybody used this method and if so has it been successful? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:38 pm

I was in eastern Iowa over the holidays and saw stacks of light grey avengers at every WM I hit - all on clearance for $45 - $49. In these same stores I invariably also saw ancient Doras and 109s at full price.

I hope this doesn't mean it was a poor selling bird. The Avengers nice but it is no Dauntless.

MK
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MK » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:31 pm

MightyMustang wrote: In my book its a beauty of a 1/18th Avenger. And well worth its price.
I couldn't agree more. Of course, I am just speaking of the version two without the screw holes. Once I picked that one up, I couldn't stop looking it.
Last edited by MK on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:34 pm

About a dozen of these stacked up for $49.99 in Auburn NY today. I was awfully tempted, but I'm still holding out for a Pacific Theater paint scheme.

thetatau87
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by thetatau87 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:44 pm

I found discounted Avengers in the Detroit metro area today. The Howell supercenter has 10 at $35 and another store less than 10 miles away in New Hudson has 8 still at full price.

Jagdflieger
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jagdflieger » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:03 pm

Wal Mart in Sierra Vista, AZ has about 20 Avengers priced at $35.
I picked one up and will monitor how the prices go. Kept my receipt so I will return the $35 one if they drop significantly lower.

I think these didn't sell too well because the opening price of $69.99 was too steep for non collectors.
Jagdflieger

fuddmiester
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by fuddmiester » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:52 pm

Hey Tinman, you still poking around my neck 'o the woods!!

worldwar2buff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by worldwar2buff » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:14 pm

West Mifflin PA (suburb of Pittsburgh) had about 20 Avengers this morning when I went. They now have 19! :D

Anyway, there is a whole endcap, and then some, at the back of toys facing the back wall. The sign says $49. However, over by the outdoor stuff, there is a clearance aisle of toys and they had a few marked at $35. I wasn't planning on getting one, but now it's hanging from my ceiling.
Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in other, body thoroughly worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO” what a ride!

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:27 pm

I wasn't planning on picking up an Avenger, and passed on them even at $49, but today at $35 I couldn't resist. Howell, MI Supercenter had 20 a couple of weeks ago, then down to 7 when I got there today. Now they have 6. Hee, hee.
Damn! This thing is huge!
Geoff