The Atomic Cannon

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Rowsdower
Officer - Brigadier General

The Atomic Cannon

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:20 pm

Ok, I've always loved this weapon system, especially the gigantic and extremely menacing tractors and I thought I'd share. Heres a page of pics of a surviving unit.
http://tanxheaven.com/mbo/M65-280mmAtom ... Cannon.htm

Heres a very cool Youtube vid of the whole unit headed to shoot the atomic artillery shell circa 1953. Check out how the thing drives, like a giant hook and ladder truck, both units are powered and can steer, the cannon is slung between the two.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GQj-0bT2J0

My point here is I really wish I could get my hands on any kind of model and I think it would make an amazing piece in 1:18 or even 1:32. Model kits of the cannon were made from the 50's till I believe 90's but as far as I know there are none in production now. There was a kit on eBay for over $200 a few days ago.
Last edited by Rowsdower on Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Rowsdower

Re: The Atomic Cannon

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:21 pm

Oops, sorry. :cry: :oops:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 pm

There is both a toy (Ideal i think) and a model kit of the cannon. The model kit is 1/32. The toy about the same or maybe a bit larger. Both go for big bucks on Ebay.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:38 pm

The gun at APG has been there, just rusting away for a very long time. It's right oposite Anzio Annie, the big German railroad gun. Those two pieces in front of the small arms museum, always make my day.

The little movie is an awesome piece of viewing. Only one problem with reality. The scenes of the gun on the road is speeded up to at least two times normal. Those trucks had a top speed of around between 15-20 MPH.

Nice find, that's fur sure, dang sure. :wink:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:01 pm

Yeah I'm really glad I found that video. I noticed the odd film speed at the start where they are backing the tractor up to the cannon. I've read they were very, very noisy and very slow, the total weight was astounding. There is another site where a guy who crewed one in Germany talks about maneuvering them through the tiny twisty streets and how some ended up flipping over or gouging a building. I imagine it too some concentration to drive the rear unit.

It's a shame about the unit at ABG. I believe that is the only complete example left. Maybe they will get to restoring it since it is an important piece of early cold war equipment.

I first read about it years ago, believe it or not GI Joe had their own version for 3 3/4 figures called the Thunderclap which I owned. Of cource GI Joe made the trucks tracked and added guns and missles all over but it had a big cannon suspended in the middle and was obviously based on the atomic cannon. For some reason I've always been fascinated by the front truck. Maybe because of the size and the way the cab hangs over, it just looks mean lol. I'd love to have one to drive around. :twisted:

I know that models are out there, they run two to three hundred on eBay, kinda out of my league unfortunately. That's why I think it would make a great XD piece. I know it would be pricey but it would have tremendouse appeal to both vehicle and artillery fans. Probably just a pipe dream I guess. Maybe 32x would be workable.
Last edited by Rowsdower on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:14 pm

I hear ya--it would be cool in 1/18, or even available again in 1/32. Of course, this comes from someone who just ordered the Leopold (aka Anzio Annie) in 1/144 and is fighting the urge to order the 1/35 kit. Now who could we talk into recreating THAT in 1/18? it would be what, about 6 feet long? There is just something about a massive mobile artillery piece like that... Of course, it is cool to hear that they are both still a APG--my boss served at APG back in the late 50's and still tells stories about his experiences there.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:20 pm

Man I would love to visit APG. I've never been up that way yet. I believe I just saw a Leopold kit at Hobby Lobby the other day. Very nice.

BTW, check out http://tanxheaven.com the site the above pictures are on. There are TONS of present day reference pics of all kinds of armored vehicles from all over the world WWI to present. Theres also a bunch of modeling related stuff.

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:23 pm

Rowsdower wrote:There is another site where a guy who crewed one in Germany talks about maneuvering them through the tiny twisty streets and how some ended up flipping over or gouging a building. I imagine it too some concentration to drive the rear unit.
One winter in FROG we were moving through one of the towns, (narrow, cobblestoned, the whole thing), when one of our M-60's came to a T in the road, braked to make the turn and skidded straight ahead instead. Fortunately many of the local folks had their windows open watching us, this included the lady watching this track bear down on her. He finally came to a stop with the gun tube sticking through the open window, no damage!!
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:50 am

For those of you who have never been to APG, the place is just awesome but sad at the same time.

They used to hold the East Coast Rally of the MVPA on Memorial Day weekend combined with the APG Open Hpuse, so we had a very large MVPA sow and flea market combined with the APG live fire shows and the Munson Test Track open to show us what vehicles went through. The Museum is in frpnt of the "Tank Field", where sat every, EVERY WW2 armored vehicle and artillery up to Anzio Annie.

It was sad because all these awesome pieces were just sitting in the dirt and mud, in the open and just rustung away.

APG went through a long period of making concrete pads for everything and cosmetically repairing what pieces they could (as money allowed).

Last I heard they were raising money for a group of huge buildings to store and display their entire collection. I wish them luck.

Last I heard, the APG Museum is still open but with Security problems the MVPA show is elsewhere in Aberdeen. Still a great show.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:47 am

chunks wrote:He finally came to a stop with the gun tube sticking through the open window, no damage!!
Oh man, I bet that lady had some choice words for you guys!:lol:
Grognard wrote:I had the Renwall 1/32 "Blueprint" kit and the Life-Like 1/40 scale Kit.
There was an original 1950's Renwall kit on eBay a while back with all the pieces still in the sealed bags. Of course the auction went pretty high. I've seen pictures of the completed kit and it's very impressive. I just really wish someone would come out with a new kit or release one of the older kits again. I will have to try to find info on that tank transporter!
Threetoughtrucks wrote:For those of you who have never been to APG, the place is just awesome but sad at the same time.
I know what you mean, many of the pics I've seen show vehicles in really bad condition. The Atomic cannon tractors look to be sinking into ground with all the weight, plus the flat tires don't help. Hopefully their plans for the buildings will work out. Most of those pieces are the last of their kind, what a historical loss it would be.

Sgt. Fury
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sgt. Fury » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:19 pm

Always been a fan of Cold War weaponry. Thanks.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:28 pm

chunks wrote:
Rowsdower wrote:There is another site where a guy who crewed one in Germany talks about maneuvering them through the tiny twisty streets and how some ended up flipping over or gouging a building. I imagine it too some concentration to drive the rear unit.
One winter in FROG we were moving through one of the towns, (narrow, cobblestoned, the whole thing), when one of our M-60's came to a T in the road, braked to make the turn and skidded straight ahead instead. Fortunately many of the local folks had their windows open watching us, this included the lady watching this track bear down on her. He finally came to a stop with the gun tube sticking through the open window, no damage!!
Yes, armor and civilian towns don't mix. A friend of mine who was in the Marines in Gulf War I told me about an Abrams that was stopped at a traffic light in Iraq. Guess the rear deck exhaust is unbelievably hot.. Melted all of the non-metal items inside the hood of the little Iraqi car that pulled up behind him.. :shock:

He said those pictures you see of troops huddled in behind the armor are either staged or of tanks that are dug in.
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:32 pm

Wow, hot is one thing, but "the Abrams blows out 1000F degree heat from its rear"...

http://www.g2mil.com/abramsdiesel.htm

And on topic, the atomic cannon gives a whole new meaning to the concept of a "short round"...
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:58 pm

grunt1 wrote:Wow, hot is one thing, but "the Abrams blows out 1000F degree heat from its rear"...
And on topic, the atomic cannon gives a whole new meaning to the concept of a "short round"...
Wow, that gas turbine in the Abrams really cooks! Sounds like they need to do those upgrades discussed on that linked page and install a diesel. You got that right about the atomic cannon! :lol: I was watching another vid that showed the troops climbing out of their trenches as soon as the flash and initial blast passed and heading towards the still huge mushroom cloud. Unbelievable!

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:53 am

Yeah there were two fixed price auctions for the History Maker kit a few days ago, for $250 each. Worst part is I am almost positive I remember seeing those at KB Toys in the mall back in the 80's when they sold all kinds of kits. To bad I didn't like buying and storing unopened boxed model kits back when I was a kid! :lol:

I can't get that linked page to work, I will try again later.

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:36 pm

My father (career soldier, two tours in Korea, three in Germany) was in charge of dispatching the Atomic Cannons and Nike Missles in Germany in 1957 and he has told me many stories, in my adult life, about the problems they had transporting the guns through the narrow roads in Germany! Taking out parts of corner buildings, bicycles, cars, etc. These big guns were not very popular with the German population.
He built one of the models and used to have it on his desk at HQ. I have a picture which I just found and will scan and post it over the holidays! It depicts a very young "zonetoys" posing with the mighty miniture replica!
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:36 am

zonetoys wrote:It depicts a very young "zonetoys" posing with the mighty miniture replica!
Lol, very cool! That would be great to see.:D

I swear I am going to see that dang Atomic Cannon at APG in person and blow a few 1gb memory cards taking pics. :lol: Hopefully I can get there before it totally sinks into the ground.

zonetoys
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by zonetoys » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:53 pm

zonetoys wrote:He built one of the models and used to have it on his desk at HQ. I have a picture which I just found and will scan and post it over the holidays! It depicts a very young "zonetoys" posing with the mighty miniture replica!
Ok, Found and posted! Do I look like a military brat or what?
"A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge." -Oddball - "Kelly's Heros"

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:33 pm

zonetoys wrote: Ok, Found and posted! Do I look like a military brat or what?
Lol yeah you definitely do. :lol: Nice model too! If I could only get my hands on one without having to take out a loan lol.

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:51 pm

Here's a new review of the tech manual for this bad boy!!

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op= ... nt&id=2280
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:24 am

:shock: Very cool! Thanks Chunks!

khatean
Corporal
Corporal

Atomic Cannon

Post by khatean » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:35 am

There is a second one at Kirtland Airforce Base sitting in very good condition at what use to be the Atomic Museum. The museum was moved to oldtown Albuquerque for public access but the large stuff, like titan missle, minuteman, atomic cannon, etc. stayed at the old location.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:08 am

I'm glad to see theres one in good shape out there. It's really foul that our government lets such important pieces of cold cold war history rot.

On a sad note, even the Revell Atomic Cannon kits from the 80's are going for around $300 on eBay so I guess I'm out of luck unless they reproduce the kit which I doubt. :cry: