Long-term XD RC review - not good

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General

Long-term XD RC review - not good

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:53 am

Well, the other day, I go to run my RC Panzer outside. I've already had two of the road wheels break off, but the tank seemed to run fine without them (tried to epoxy back on, but they never would stay, so I left them off). Well, go to pick it up, and notice another wheel has broken off, and two more are about two. Well, after this much time, there's no way to take it back to Walmart, so I'll be figuring a way to rebuild the undercarriage with new wheel supports.

Just a note to XD if you read this (or TKO can pass on) - if you do any more RC, PLEASE strenghten up the underframe. Those small plastic tabs don't cut it. As much as I like the concept, they need to make some improvements before I'd buy another one.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

MG-42

R/C Panzer review

Post by MG-42 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:20 am

>>> I'll have to agree. ... The road-wheels are just too weak to be played with after a time. ... I took the one I had back because the thing just kept turning in bloody circles ,.. no matter what I tried. .... I'll probably get the new sawed-off version ,.. but I won't run it. ..... I think they're better non-R/C. ... I presume other enthusiasts have'nt had this problem and are quite content and can tinker with it to get it to work better ,.. but not me. ... I think it's a waste of time and $$. :wink:
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:21 pm

Morian, which RC Panzer IV are you running? I know the S1 and S2 versions of the Panzer IV H had some quality difficulties either with the gears or the roadwheels (as you described). The S2 Panzers seemed to show a particular tendency to have broken parts. I went and purchased an S3 version of the Panzer IV H, the one that had the improved drive sprockets, and have had no problems with it. I must admit that I don't run it all that much, however.

Nonetheless, I totally agree that certain measures should be taken to improve the mechanics of the RC tanks so that they run well over an extended period of time.

BTW, for anyone that has found one, how does the new gray Panzer IVD run when compared to the earlier offerings?
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:08 pm

This was the S1. I've always had the gears-sticking problem with that. The problem is the road wheels support. It's about 1/8" thick (maybe that much) plastic. Yes, its looks nice, but if you're buying it for RC it ain't rugged. I'll try to get off my bum and take some photos.

I just don't think the regular XD plastic/engineering is durable enough. I didn't get into the fact that the glued on accessories have started falling off (muffler, turrent doors) or breaking (the commander hatch and driver hatch hinges). Its not like I'm a kid playing with this, or play that rough, or have ran the snot out of the tank.

I agree with MG-42, I'd rather see XD stick with display models if this is what we get in RC.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:30 pm

The S-3 RC Panzer was a vast improvement over the S-1 and even the S-2 versions. The drive train was tightened up considerably and the running gear appears (to the naked eye) to be a bit more robust than the first two offerings. I'd wait for the grey Panzer to go on clearance and give it one more chance. I think you might be pleased. Now if only they could gear the thing to run slower than my girlfriend's cat. :wink:
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:26 pm

I have the new "gray" Panzer, with the short barrelled gun. I'm very happy with it and while I haven't run it alot, it seems to be holding up. I don't have the earlier RC versions so all I have to compare it with is the 1/16 M-26, which I find to be fantastic, even at double the money of the 21C Panzer.

I'll buy more of the "gray", when it goes on clearance (pipedream), so I can gut the RC out of it.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

bigsarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bigsarge » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:02 pm

I bought several of these to just have for trades and customs along with 4 of the 113's.I gave my son and a friend of his 2 of the 113's.They lasted all of about 20 minutes.The tracks kept coming off and parts were breaking.So they became battle damaged play scene toys until finally scrapped in a move.I wasn't out much money since I bought them on clearance at WM but still a $49 regular priced toy should hold up better.Seems like thats all we have here in the Jackson,Ms area is the R/c tanks.We need more planes.......Bigsarge
positive trade and sale references:
DerVogelfänger,USCGSARdog,KAMIKAZE,parrish333,KWR190,Hworth18,caesarbc,Black Lion VF-213

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:20 pm

I looked at the short barrel Panzer for awhile today but after having read this thread I decided to pass it by. Stick with the display models 21st!
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:31 pm

I've ran my Grey Panzer quite a bit and except for a thrown track going through some branches, I've had no issues with it whatsoever. I'm pleased with mine!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]