POST AVENGER FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:31 pm

You know its funny, but many months ago I was annoyed that the Atlantic version of the Avenger was to be released first and not a more "traditional" in either the dark blue or the Pacific Tri-color cammo. However, after the grueling hunt for one and a few months with it hanging on display in my room, the Atlantic Avenger has certainly grown on me! I am certainly pleased with the scheme to the point that I really don't feel the need to chase after another Avenger in a different paint scheme once one arrives. Still gives me shivers seeing one all new in the box :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:00 pm

I agree. That grey scheme is looking pretty good.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:13 pm

tmanthegreat wrote: Still gives me shivers seeing one all new in the box :wink:
Hehe, they are really super models. I've built a few Avenger kits over the years and I must say I really dig the grey color scheme. It's a nice change from the Pacific colors we are all used to.

I haven't had time to put it all together and really check it out yet but I like all the little details and of course the fact that it's Freakin huge!! :shock:

One thing, how well does the wing folding system work? Or is it best to not try lol.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:17 pm

VMF115 wrote:
FieroDude wrote:Seeing the nice custom work is getting me inspired... Anyone have any recommendations as to what adhesives work well with the 21st Century plastics?
For my custom antenna mast I used a tong from a plastic fork and warmed it up to bend, I then trimmed it downed and cut out a natch on the canopy I then used superglue and then painted,
Repeat for the tail section, for the antenna itself I used some thin black showing thread
Any pictures??

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Sgt. Fury
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sgt. Fury » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:30 pm

The seating position of the pilot in the "plugged" Avengers seems changed?
The pilot is sitting lower. There is now almost an 1/8th" headspace between the canopy windows slide bar and the pilot. This, without forcing the pilot into the seat. And yes, the parachute has been removed in both examples.

wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

20 Fixed Avengers in WalMart in Snelville ,Ga.

Post by wolf8564 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:51 am

Ther are 20 some odd Atlantic scheme Avengers in the Wal-Mart in Snelville Ga. Outside Atlanta. Boy talk about extremes.First none now they are everywhere.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:47 pm

Teamski wrote:
VMF115 wrote: For my custom antenna mast I used a tong from a plastic fork and warmed it up to bend, I then trimmed it downed and cut out a natch on the canopy I then used superglue and then painted,
Repeat for the tail section, for the antenna itself I used some thin black showing thread
Any pictures??

-Ski
Sorry my camera took a nosedive off the desk a few weeks ago.
:(
Sorry Ski
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:05 pm

Finally took my Avenger out of its box and played with it today (yes i admit it).

Something that struck me about it is how light it is. For its size it's not much heavier than some of my other xd planes. I estimate around 3 pounds-ish. Not bad.

I was just going to plunk it on a shelf with the wings folded but i got reading about Avengers in the Atlantic, attacking u-boats and now the shelf sitting idea seems kinda dull. I'm thinking banking low over oil slicked waters, flotsom floating on the surface, verifying a kill. I didn't really want to dedicate my limited airspace to this particular plane but i can't help myself.

What am i going to do in a few years, when the space is all gone. :cry:

Anyone know of any good internet reading regarding the exploits of Atlantic Avengers?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:46 pm

Man, if there is a pool where aferg lives, people are gonna be pretty bummed come summer... What with the planes hanging over it and the burning oil slick and debris...
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:09 pm

FieroDude wrote:Man, if there is a pool where aferg lives, people are gonna be pretty bummed come summer... What with the planes hanging over it and the burning oil slick and debris...
Lol! :lol: And him standing over it all making rocket and explosion noises.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:14 pm

FieroDude wrote:Man, if there is a pool where aferg lives, people are gonna be pretty bummed come summer... What with the planes hanging over it and the burning oil slick and debris...
Especially if he lives at a condo......

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:49 pm

swimming pool? no man, i'm going to hang it over my bath tub.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:06 pm

I'm thinking banking low over oil slicked waters, flotsom floating on the surface, verifying a kill. I didn't really want to dedicate my limited airspace to this particular plane but i can't help myself.
What you need is an XD U-Boat to complete your "diorama".... :lol: Hey it would only be what, 12 ft. long?? Space? We don't need no stinking space :P
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:12 pm

aferguson wrote:swimming pool? no man, i'm going to hang it over my bath tub.
What every you do don’t stand close to an open flame....

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:19 pm

ostketten wrote:
I'm thinking banking low over oil slicked waters, flotsom floating on the surface, verifying a kill. I didn't really want to dedicate my limited airspace to this particular plane but i can't help myself.
What you need is an XD U-Boat to complete your "diorama".... :lol: Hey it would only be what, 12 ft. long?? Space? We don't need no stinking space :P
I can only image the look on my G/F face if I ever brought home a 12 foot long sub that you can’t eat… “Oh my god that’s huge!” “Where in heck are you going to put that thing?” she would say. I think it would be the straw that broke the camel’s back.

She starting to complain about the spare bedroom being take over by 1:18 aircraft. Last week her sister stayed with us, she woke up having nightmares about aircraft dive bommbing her from the ceiling I looked and there was a fuel tank missing from one of my BBi F-4u corsairs. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by VMF115 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:21 pm

Lmao. Too funny. :D

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:30 pm

Yeah, my best friend thinks I am nuts, but she realizes that we can't go to Walmart together without a thorough search of the toy department for XD. Luckily, they came out with a bunch of Pirates of the Caribbean stuff now, so I can just leave her in front of the display :) Although she still won't forgive me for plinking her with my airsoft tank... :shock:
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:39 pm

FieroDude wrote: Although she still won't forgive me for plinking her with my airsoft tank... :shock:
Funny :lol:
where did you hit her? LOL

tiger1
Corporal
Corporal

Avenger fingerfun...

Post by tiger1 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:21 am

Just recieved my avenger,and the wings are sagging,ruining the whole model,even if it`s a very nice model,this distract me so much.I`m going to sell mine .Annoying to know how much effort that has been put in this
mechanism,and still it`s not working properly.It would have been better to mold the wings as a whole,and thus made a more exact and sturdy model.I love the ldg gear springloaded over center locks however,and i think they should have made some detail to the interior visible thru the entrance hatch.
:(

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:14 am

if you don't care whether the wings fold or not, why don't you just glue them in the unfolded position and that will fix the sag.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:48 am

Yeah super glue should do the trick nicely.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:35 am

I think the wing sagging is something we just have to live with... My Avenger's wings sag a little as well when compared to the actual plane, but 21c could only do so much considering the size of the wing and the level of functionality that the 21c designers (and especially the fans) wanted the plane to have. Had they not given the aircraft folding wings, there would have been a tememndous uproar around here :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:04 pm

Where does it sag?

I noticed that there are two tabs on each of the wings that’s holds it together once extended , if your not careful you will sear them off when you deploy the wings from folding back to extended,

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:25 pm

I finally ordered my Avenger from Bad Cat toys. Matt said these have the screw plugs and all that. I wasnt going to spend the money I spent if it didnt have them. I tell ya I have wanted the Avenger for some time but had a hard time buying one due to the cost and some of the complaints I have heard from some people on the board about it. But after looking at the pics of it on the 21st website I finally caved in and bought one. The detail looks incredible, but I will pass judgement on it once it arrives next Tuesday. Its gonna go well with Marines Dream and my Bunker Hill Corsair plus the Hellcat when it comes out next year. I was gonna wait until I found one at one of my local Walmarts as well but they never seem to carry them so again I took the plunge and I'm happy I did because she looks like a big beautiful beast! I'll give my review of it and my thoughts when it arrives and I inspect it.

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:13 pm

MightyMustang wrote:I finally ordered my Avenger from Bad Cat toys. Matt said these have the screw plugs and all that. I wasnt going to spend the money I spent if it didnt have them. I tell ya I have wanted the Avenger for some time but had a hard time buying one due to the cost and some of the complaints I have heard from some people on the board about it. But after looking at the pics of it on the 21st website I finally caved in and bought one. The detail looks incredible, but I will pass judgement on it once it arrives next Tuesday. Its gonna go well with Marines Dream and my Bunker Hill Corsair plus the Hellcat when it comes out next year. I was gonna wait until I found one at one of my local Walmarts as well but they never seem to carry them so again I took the plunge and I'm happy I did because she looks like a big beautiful beast! I'll give my review of it and my thoughts when it arrives and I inspect it.

Just to add to my post here. I saw the Avenger for the first time today at my local hobby shop. They had one on display and WOW was it huge. I knew it was big but not that big. The detail is amazing and 21st did a great job on the cockpit. The one I looked at had the screw plugs and so fourth and unfortunatly it was for display purposes only but again I am glad now that I have ordered it and look forward to getting mine on Tuesday. Now I just have to make room for it. But I was and am VERY impressed by the Avenger. No wonder it took so long for it to hit the stores and online retailers.

"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.