breaking news!! 1/18 f-5 aggressor is coming out-JAN.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:10 pm

The problem is the F-5 is not as widely popular here in the US it did not serve no real importance as a combat aircraft. I do think its role in the US inventory as an aggressor or a trainer is important but not as popular as the other aircraft that so many of us want to see made. It might sell well in the countries that still use the F-5 in their airforce but not as well here in the US. There is just so many other aircraft out there that we would love to see be made

Now if they made an F-20 tigershark, I Would be all over that like baby back spare ribs. :D
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:03 pm

How do any planes (cars, trucks etc) get sold? The kids walk down the isle and look at what's cool. The F-5 meets that bill. If the F-104 can be built, than why not the F-5? The first F-104 I saw was (like many of you) the German Marine version. I think we can all agree that a better, more popular choice could have been made there no? I've got the "Smoke II" version because it's what my 5-year old likes the most.

Cheaper to build and it looks cool. Sounds like a recipe for sales to me whether we like it or not. We (some of you anyway) got the Hellcat no? Now it's time to put something up on the shelves that they're convinced will sell solely on looks alone. Can we really fault them?

JUST PUT A DECENT LOOKING PILOT IN IT FOR ONCE!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I had to get it out of my system.

Tpa05 out

digger

?

Post by digger » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:11 pm

AT planes aren't in the isle [yet]. And 21C & bbi pilots have been pretty cool lately.
Say what you will, it is an odd, odd choice....still hoping it is not so..

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:23 pm

what other aircraft they showed the kids at the focus group was it an A-10
As much as people around here seem to be clamoring for it, I doubt we will see an XD scale A-10 anytime soon, (if ever) it would be a pretty complex model and expensive to produce, plus the possibilities for repaints are very few. Just my .02 worth, your mileage may vary.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:31 pm

UIf you want something cool why not a Dassault-Breguet Mirage 2000 or a Dassault Rafale its close to the dimensions of an F-5 and they look cooler then the F-5 sorry I dont think the F-5 is cool.

I just got back from WM and I seen a grand father and a son picking out an XD the kid looked like he was 8 and wanted the NK Mig 15 the father said no…lest get the F-86 its better then the Mig-15. I just about laughed, he said he was in the History channel and seen the Mig ally program, he said he was a big aviation who collects the dragon 1:72 aircraft and is a retired Col., in the Air force.
Well I told him about the rumored F-5. His response was why make an aircraft that had very little contribution to the defense of the US.
He said what he looks for in an aircraft is operational history, was it a bench mark
Aircraft, what war or skirmish did it fight in, was it a beloved aircraft to the crewmembers, and how did it contribute to the national defense of this country or the county that it originated from. He views the F-5 as an export aircraft that was not good enough for the US so they export it.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:39 pm

ostketten wrote:repaints are very few. Just my .02 worth, your mileage may vary.
There are plenty of repaints for the A-10 lets see there is the winter camouflage, European Camouflage, and the low observation gray.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:40 pm

ostketten wrote:
what other aircraft they showed the kids at the focus group was it an A-10
As much as people around here seem to be clamoring for it, I doubt we will see an XD scale A-10 anytime soon, (if ever) it would be a pretty complex model and expensive to produce, plus the possibilities for repaints are very few. Just my .02 worth, your mileage may vary.
I don't know why we wouldn't. I don't see how it would be more complex to make than an Avenger with it's complicated folding wing design and interior. Simple landing gear, no folding wing, and not a lot of interior on an A-10. Pretty straight forward if you ask me, but I've said this time and time again. Having a full load of ordinance I think would be the most complex thing about it. If you really load it like it is flown in combat, the ordinance package is not all that heavy. It was prototyped by 21st long before the Avenger was. I think the only reason it wasn't brought to completion was the constraints faced by Wal-Mart. It has more re-paint potential than the F-18 and F-16 that were done. I put my money on bbi or Admiral Toys doing one long before I think we'd ever see 21st produce it.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:42 pm

The F-5 never crossed my mind as a consideration, either. Somehow, it's like looking at 1:18 die-cast cars, and seeing a Chevy Cavalier. Common, and not a bad car, but far from newsworthy.
Let me ask you guys: what would you (honestly) pony up for a 1:18 A-10, possibly with some interchangeable load-out options? And I am talking quality/detail on a par with the F-16 or Avenger, not like the pseudo 1:18 A-10 that bbi created as part of their Combat Command series. I personally would have no issue with $150 to $200, possibly more for a limited edition. Perhaps if the manufacturer realize that we KNOW it won't be cheap, and there is still enough interest, we can give them some incentive.
Last edited by FieroDude on Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:00 pm

There are plenty of repaints for the A-10 lets see there is the winter camouflage, European Camouflage, and the low observation gray.
Not exactly. The European 1 scheme (green/black) and the two tone gray scheme were the two basic schemes for the A-10. The winter scheme was a special scheme of the 343rd Composite wing for excercises at Kotzebue Air Staion in Alaska in 1982 and was never standardized. I mean if you want to get technical, yeah there was even the "peanut " scheme, of which a grand total of ONE aircraft was produced, hardly representative for the type.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:16 pm

I'd go for an F-5 if it does get made.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:28 pm

I can't say I'm too thrilled about an F-5. I suppose it will make some folks happy though. I would have rather seen a Thunderchief or a Super Sabre, something in that era.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:40 pm

This whole argument regarding the F-5 can be applied to the F-104. Cool plane but was it the best choice? You sell what looks good to the kids, again, like it or not. My son kept saying "get the one with the pointy nose...".

I did.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:40 pm

I would have rather seen a Thunderchief
Yeah baby, Thud Ridge...that's what I'm talking about. Originally designed as a nuclear strike aircraft, the "Thud" was the gas guzzling, afterburning "muscle car" of the USAF in Vietnam. I find it somewhat ironic that the Thunderchief, which was intended to drop the hot potato on Russia, was designed by Alexander Kartveli, who was born in Soviet Georgia.

Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Jolly Roger » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:06 pm

OH MY FREAKIN GOD SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

i have wanted one of these since i was old enough to watch Topgun!!!
too bad it wont probably come in the black w/ redstar on it :cry:
oh man i hope its anyone BUT BBI, i want some wing flaps and stablizers!

hehe

i can wait to put him under the Joe Skystriker giving the F5 the finger :lol:
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:50 pm

ostketten wrote: I find it somewhat ironic that the Thunderchief, which was intended to drop the hot potato on Russia, was designed by Alexander Kartveli, who was born in Soviet Georgia.
I never knew that! I've always loved the F-105. It was a muscle car, like you say. The slim wings with the wing-root intakes, the slender tail and rounded fuselage, the big 'ol fuel slurpin engine. Just a sexy killing machine! Too bad the F-4 gets all the glory. Most people have never even heard of the Thud. :cry:
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Moth
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Moth » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:05 pm

Ill take an F-5!
Hell, Ill buy any new 1/18 plane except the hideous Hawker Typhoon/Tempest.

The companys are purposely NOT making an A-10, F-15, F-4, F-14, ect. because we ask for it!
[img39]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/QueenofSky/BirdFlu.gif[/img39] [img39]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Acherontia_lachesis.jpg/200px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg[/img39]

kmerchant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Don't Look A Gift Jet in the Mouth

Post by kmerchant » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:52 pm

Let's not forget that Americans aren't the only consumers for 1/18 scale, thank goodness. If it weren't for a healthy market for the products we like in the Far East we wouldn't have anywhere near the variety of products available. And what is the most common Western fighter in service in Taiwan, the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore and other Far East countries? Why the F-5E Tiger.

Whoever is making this jet isn't ignoring their customers. They're just looking to the other half for once. For my part I plan to buy one as soon as I can find it.
Ken from Sacramento

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:15 pm

ostketten wrote:
Not exactly. The European 1 scheme (green/black) and the two tone gray scheme were the two basic schemes for the A-10. The winter scheme was a special scheme of the 343rd Composite wing for excercises at Kotzebue Air Staion in Alaska in 1982 and was never standardized. I mean if you want to get technical, yeah there was even the "peanut " scheme, of which a grand total of ONE aircraft was produced, hardly representative for the type.
On the subject of A-10 paint schemes I think it depends on what you want to call a repaint. Sure there are only two basic "paint schemes" but there have been plenty of "liveries" (if I may call them that) to make different repaints of. You have the famous "Shark Mouth" (both on the European Camo and Two-Tone Gray paint schemes) proudly carried by the 23 TFW in heritage of the Flying Tigers, what I call the "Razor Back Mouth" livery carried by the 917th TFW (my favorite), and then there could be two more repaints of non mouth nosed European 1 and Two-Tone Gray A-10s. If bbi did the A-10, they could always do one paint scheme and do a "repaint" of a different squadron like they've been doing with the F-18. Don't forget the livery of "Chopper Popper" flown by Cpt. Robert Swain in there too. This same principle can be applied to any of the modern jets. Even Vietnam era jets had one or two primary "paint schemes", but many had different "liveries". Any way you cut it, a manufacturer using limited "repaint" possibilities with an A-10 or any other modern jet as a reason not to produce the aircraft dosen't make sense in my book.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:10 pm

Lots of opinions for still a tiny rumor. How do we know this isn't another PTE or Chap Mei plane, or even BBi's cheapie line?

Still, I'd be in line for more. Maybe even two. But then again, my tastes go for the more bizarre.
Sometimes, the mind needs a shovel, rather than a pencil and paper, to express itself.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:15 pm

Thats funny I would love to see a Hawker Typhoon, now that aircraft had a combat histroy It had some problems in the begging of its serive but those where fixed...

I am starting to feel an aura of despair around this hobby it seems that IF this rumor is true then the higher powers in charge of these companies are telling us that we probably will not see the aircraft that we desperately desire.

I desperately want to see the aircraft we want to be made, and not to be feed some spin control from the companies about price and complexities to manufacture ….it’s the same old song and dance.

Please make the aircraft we want I am begging YOU GUYS!!!!!
Ok I am now going on a hunger strike for a 1/18 Macchi

btw the Macchi deserves to have its day in the sun
Last edited by VMF115 on Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:15 pm

Any way you cut it, a manufacturer using limited "repaint" possibilities with an A-10 or any other modern jet as a reason not to produce the aircraft dosen't make sense
I agree in principle, but someone else mentioned that 21C has already made a prototype of the A-10, but hasn't put it in to production because of "Walmart constraints", whatever that means :?: So it would seem that the apparent lack of repaint possibilities (depending on your point of view, and what you want to classify as a repaint) is not what is preventing an XD A-10 from being manufactured, I mean Walmart could probably care less if the thing is painted hot pink as long as they can turn a profit on it right?

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:53 pm

I don't know - I always liked the F-5 - even though it wasnt a front line jet - it just looked eyes wide fast!

Who knows maybe we have a Top Gun series comming out!

The only way I'd buy it would be to find it on clearance. I will get the Hellcat instead
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:16 am

ostketten wrote:
Any way you cut it, a manufacturer using limited "repaint" possibilities with an A-10 or any other modern jet as a reason not to produce the aircraft dosen't make sense
I agree in principle, but someone else mentioned that 21C has already made a prototype of the A-10, but hasn't put it in to production because of "Walmart constraints", whatever that means :?: So it would seem that the apparent lack of repaint possibilities (depending on your point of view, and what you want to classify as a repaint) is not what is preventing an XD A-10 from being manufactured, I mean Walmart could probably care less if the thing is painted hot pink as long as they can turn a profit on it right?
It's just my opinion, but what I meant by Wal-Mart constraints is that whole shelf space and pricing point argument. From what I see, it looks like if Wal-Mart won't put it on the shelf, 21st won't make it. Understandable since they are 21st major retail outlet for their products. But who in this situation sets the limits on what will be made? The consumer or the retailer? 21st doesn't seem to want to consider doing an aircraft that only an online retailer will sell right now. Take bbi for example. Their F-16 to this day has never seen a brick and mortar retail outlet and to my knowledge has only been sold at online retailers. However, it sold out everywhere it was offered and bbi did another production run due to more demand. I'm sure bbi sold it at a price that would cover their cost and then some or they wouldn't have made it. Then the retailers had to add what they could. Supposedly it will be at TRU this year. I'm guessing that TRU must have rejected it for its size and price point but now they must have seen that it has demand and would have probably done well on their shelves. I'm just trying to point out that there has been a large aircraft made with limited paint schemes, high price points, and not sold at mass retail outlets that has apparently sold rather well. Maybe if 21st did some things like bbi has done with the F-16, we would've seen their A-10 by now and who knows what else. Maybe in the future 21st will.

This is all just my opinion of course. :wink: :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!