POST AVENGER FINDS AND DISCUSSION HERE!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by warhawker » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:19 am

Found two Atlantic Avengers in Ceres, Calf. (side note, this is the place as well where I found the new tiger Mig)

The Old Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Screw Caps and Details

Post by The Old Man » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:04 pm

I guess I have a different outlook on this. I picked up a TBF at WM and it lacked:
screw covers
pitot tube
turret interior
torpedo
rockets
and the partridge in the pear tree
I just figured it was what it was. Covered the screw holes with a procedure I prefer over the screw covers they normally provide. Made the tube. Since Atlantic TBFs did not use torpedos but depth charges and bombs so cobbled those up from other kits. Same with rockets. Many of the TBFs had the turret gun removed - cause there was no German carriers. Then redid all the weathering ala the "Spanish school" and have one terrific plane.

As an aside do all the above before assembly - its too big to try to do it assembled,
It is - even missing the stuff- the best bargain in modeling cause "they" got 90% of it right and I don't have to spend 6 months butchering the thing to get it to look right. The wing fold and the main and tail wheels are worth the price. And that canopy - wow !!
Guess I'm getting too old to worry too much.
Screw covers - we don't need no stinking screw covers.
Neil Hesse

MK
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Screw Caps and Details

Post by MK » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:14 pm

The Old Man wrote: Screw covers - we don't need no stinking screw covers.
Actually, I do need them and I would prefer you not speak for me. :D

Sounds like some great modifications to an already great bird. If you can please post some pics of the finished product. I would love to know how you made the depth charges, because I agree, I need to lose the torpedo in favor of them. Thanks!

MK

Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fitzystigertank » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:37 pm

Hey Old man, not to question your intelligence but when you took the plane out of the box did you happen to look under the cardboard for the parts you were missing. The rockets and the pitot tube were in one bag.
If I remember correctly the torpedo was too.
As for the partridge well I can't help you, i didn't get a pear tree in my box neither.
having the int. of the turret missing just plain sux. If I'd found another Avenger I would have swapped them ASAP.
Where did you purchase your Avenger??
don't fret about the screw covers they will come someday, I put in my email and got the same reply as everyone else. name and address and will send them when avail.

grunt1
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by grunt1 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:22 pm

Found many Avengers in the southern IL area along I-70..
-----------------------------------------------------------
-------- Need a list of everything 1:18? --------
---------- http://www.sshqdb.com
--------------
---- Built by the community, for the community ----
-----------------------------------------------------------

My Store: http://www.battlegroundmodels.com

The Old Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Torpedo

Post by The Old Man » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:53 pm

Fitzystigertank wrote:Hey Old man, not to question your intelligence but when you took the plane out of the box did you happen to look under the cardboard for the parts you were missing. The rockets and the pitot tube were in one bag.
If I remember correctly the torpedo was too.
As for the partridge well I can't help you, i didn't get a pear tree in my box neither.
having the int. of the turret missing just plain sux. If I'd found another Avenger I would have swapped them ASAP.
Where did you purchase your Avenger??
don't fret about the screw covers they will come someday, I put in my email and got the same reply as everyone else. name and address and will send them when avail.
I may old but I'm not that old - yeah - checked the bottom - still got the box. Got the thing from a Walmart in Michigan - kinda goes with the state - its missing a LOT. And there was no other TBF - I think I would have still kept it as its the best that any of the "Big 3" have produced and I can live with the missing parts. I used color matched (spray painted) adhesive back material used on flying models and cut the patches in various ovals, squares, circles and make them sightly larger to cover the holes that way they conform to the curves. As far as depth chagres modified 1/35 scale 50 gallon drums. Did have to modify the mains a little but no where near the work involved in others. If they do such good job on the TBF - would love a Helldiver.
Neil Hesse

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:35 pm

i wonder if someone raided it for parts and then returned it?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

The Old Man
Private First Class
Private First Class

Parts Raid

Post by The Old Man » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:00 am

aferguson wrote:i wonder if someone raided it for parts and then returned it?
Interesting aspect - thought about that but whoever got it, took the stuff out and resealed it as if it were original. The other thing is this is the only one I've found it at least 6 Walmarts in the area - and it was not with the other 1/18th stuff. So another is that it was bought somewhere else and returned to a Michigan store but hey - who cares, I got one and every time I look at it, I'm impressed. 21st really did their homework. That wing fold is one great piece of engineering.
Neil Hesse

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:35 pm

We should be seeing the very first Flight 19 birds show up anyday now! I already have a pre-production sample of the number 36 ship! (so no box or none of the goodies just the plane) It is a VERY cool looking paint scheme.

JohnLumley
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by JohnLumley » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:22 am

Thanks for the heads up TKO. :D

I wonder if the Wal-Mart case assortment will be four of the same ship numbers. Hopefully they will mix them up.

I hope 21st did not put the kabash on the 2 extra figures. 8)
One hundred and fifty three - 1:18 scale aircraft on the ceiling looks :shock: damn good!

Big Duke 6
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Big Duke 6 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:57 am

TKO,

Any Pics ?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:27 pm

Good news! I'm hoping they will have the screw-covers. These are going to Wal Mart first, aren't they? I wonder where they will show up first - my guess is the Midwest or the east as the the west has gotten the new armor. It would be cool, however, to see them get the same quick distribution as before, save that I hope some get to my town!
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Sgt. Fury
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sgt. Fury » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:40 am

I am still in love with my AVENGER. I am not rushing anywhere to get a MIG, a SABRE, or anything else except series 2 and 3 of the AVENGER. MIGS and SABREs will become available when they become available.

I do want another ATLANTIC AVENGER with the screw caps, all five (maybe, but definitely one) of the LOST FLIGHT AVENGERS and preferrably a generic PACIFIC AVENGER. I have great expectations for bbi's HELLCAT but I still believe they are going to screw-up the landing gear (especially the rear landing gear), with out-of-proportion support assemblies. With this in mind, the TBF AVENGER has ruling longevity. Navy Aviation Rules!

wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

Badcats TBF AVENGER

Post by wolf8564 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:19 am

Got my Badcat Avenger Today. Much Better all the screw holes are covered. You would be amazed at what a differance that makes.
I have 2 from walmart looks like I will have to take back one or sell it to any one interrested.

kevrut

xd

Post by kevrut » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:23 pm

Avengers in Monticello Indiana.

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by JOC » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:43 pm

Anyone hear or know if 21st is going to pony up with the screw covers for those of us with the WM version, or is it just wishful thinking now?
JOC

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by flpickupman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:57 am

JohnLumley wrote:Thanks for the heads up TKO. :D

I wonder if the Wal-Mart case assortment will be four of the same ship numbers. Hopefully they will mix them up.

I hope 21st did not put the kabash on the 2 extra figures. 8)
Assuming 21C is still gonna mix em up in the production run. As far as that is concerned, forget #36. I want the flight leader; #28.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:12 pm

My total Avenger purchases came to four in all. Two from WM and one from BCT and one from Military Toy shop. The MTS one arrived first and the BCA plane came a few days later(damaged, but repairable). The BCA was cheaper due to the shipping deal they had when I pre-ordered many eons ago. The MTS was also a prehistoric pre order.

Anyways, this story is actually going somewhere. What I plan to do is to take the one WM plane (my son has the other one) and fill the screw holes with body filler. I will then repaint the plane into another scheme. At this point I am considering the three color scheme marked for a plane from the Ticonderoga (CV14) from the Okinawa action. I am still scounging up data and trying to figure out how to do the markings.

I am not sure what to do with the other second-run plane just yet, but at least I have managed to rationalize having two of these behemoths in my rec-room. We still must have these in 1:32, I cannot stress this point enough...Avenger in 32, Avenger in 32, Avenger in 32....

TJ

Sgt. Fury
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Sgt. Fury » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:09 pm

FYI. 21st Century website has posted some fantastic promo shots of Flight 19 and the Atlantic Avenger...and they are the actual model with one piece bomb bay doors, no antennae, et al. My Avenger however has the more subtle weathring instead of the extreme "raccoon" weathering (which I also like).

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:55 pm

In a discussion of the Avenger on a 1/6 board, one member says he found "some" Atlantic versions. Not very unusual EXCEPT he mentioned the price "$39.99".

Is the price starting to drop? Like gasoline?? :wink:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

flayrah
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by flayrah » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:05 pm

There are a couple on auction now with starting bids at $50 or less, so it's good bet people are finding them at $40. I have yet to see one and I suspect they will be another "Spitfire" that is never on local shelves.

FieroDude

Post by FieroDude » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:26 pm

I know I ended picking up my Gen 1 Atlantic Avenger about 6 weeks ago at the Niles, MI Walmart for $39.84 thanks to the "It is a 21st Century 1:18 airplane, therefore it is $39.84" philosophy. Of course when I stopped back the next day to pick up the other one they had, it was gone. Our Benton Harbor, MI store (my closest option, which is usually useless, although I DID find a die-cast M48 Patton there back in July) actually got me all excited when they put up a tag and shelf space for Avengers at $70 back in September, but when I asked, they checked and found that they wouldn't be getting any in. So the space is currently occupied by a couple dusty Smoke F-104s and a lonely Bf-109G6. Still no halftracks or Pak-40s, here in SW MI or South Bend, but I have seen a couple Me-109E night fighters floating around.

On a different note: historicaviation.com has the Flight 19 Avengers for sale with a special price of $69.95, with individulal listings for all 5. They don't say it's a pre-order, but so far as I know, they aren't out there, are they, TKO? Or did a few sneak in the country real quiet like?
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:37 pm

Are the Flight 19 blue Avengers out yet?
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

billgiff
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by billgiff » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:30 am

Due to the lack of new XD around here, I finally broke down and tore open my Atlantic Avenger. Like many members have stated before, it's really a great piece. The lack of scew plugs is a little bothersome but I'm going to address that problem right away. When I'm successful, I'll post some pics and tell what product was used.

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by rmoore456 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:23 am

The Allen Road Walmart in Peoria, Illinois received 20 Atlantic Avengers. They have the pitot tube attached and screw hole covers!

Ray